staten island local bus study?

limitednyc

1 hour ago, LTA1992 said:

How much can you really do for the SI local buses in terms of restructuring?

Almost all of them go to the ferry. 

....which is something that should be looked into. The ferry is slow and infrequent for riders seeking service to Manhattan (I personally prefer the (R) train if I don't feel like spending money for the express bus), and the fact that it is all the way at the northeast corner of the island means that a lot of intra-island trips require a backtrack. 

Also, there's areas that lack local bus coverage (the S54/55/56 don't run weekends and even on weekdays, there's gaps on the South Shore). Huguenot Avenue, Mosel Avenue, and Goethals Road North/Fahy Avenue don't have local bus coverage. A lot of routes meander or are indirect in general (look at the S57 & S66). There's plenty of room for improvement....

9 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Also, there's areas that lack local bus coverage (the S54/55/56 don't run weekends and even on weekdays, there's gaps on the South Shore).

The S55/56 don't run on weekends due to their very low ridership, and it keeps dropping. They need to have those routes go to someplace of interest. (NJ, CSI, etc...)

The S/55 and S/56 are basically school routes, nothing else.

I remember looking at an S/115 Princess Bay schedule from about 50 years ago and it was just a couple of runs in the rush hours plus a Tottenville High School run. It seems that even though the areas on the route have undergone a total transformation since that time, the riding habits have not changed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, Vtrain said:

I hope that NYC Transit kept their promise to finish this local bus service study, it was part of this study along with the express buses.

The promise of "Fast Forward" is to redesign the whole bus network on borough at a time. That would have to include Staten Island local routes.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:47 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The promise of "Fast Forward" is to redesign the whole bus network on borough at a time. That would have to include Staten Island local routes.

If each borough takes this long, then we are looking at 10 years before any substantial happen to the bus network. 

In the mean time, every time a schedule change occurs MTA cut service back to their guidelines

32 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

If each borough takes this long, then we are looking at 10 years before any substantial happen to the bus network. 

In the mean time, every time a schedule change occurs MTA cut service back to their guidelines

It was already noted that the entire bus network would be finished by 2021. It is most definite the Bronx redesign will start next year, with SI local routes being possibly done by early 2019.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:09 PM, LTA1992 said:

How much can you really do for the SI local buses in terms of restructuring?

Almost all of them go to the ferry. 

But does every bus need to go to the ferry, or does it make more sense to run busses to SIR stations and have people take that to the ferry, and/or connect to (R) in Bay Ridge?

(Granted you'd have to make St George a pass-thru for MetroCard trips that started off on a bus in order to not make SI a two-fare zone, but the savings from not running buses to St George when they could stop at New Dorp should offset that "fare loss".)

It's one thing to have a hub & spoke based bus network in place for East-of-Flushing patrons in Flushing & for SE Jamaica patrons in Jamaica.... It is quite another to have one for all of Staten Island.... I'm sorry, it's antiquated... It's easy (for the MTA) to tout that the S74 & the S78 are the two longest local routes in the city - apparently, it's more difficult to answer the simple question:

Do they have to be?

...and especially, to literally DO anything about it.

53 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It's one thing to have a hub & spoke based bus network in place for East-of-Flushing patrons in Flushing & for SE Jamaica patrons in Jamaica.... It is quite another to have one for all of Staten Island.... I'm sorry, it's antiquated... It's easy (for the MTA) to tout that the S74 & the S78 are the two longest local routes in the city - apparently, it's more difficult to answer the simple question:

Do they have to be?

... and neither has a limited or SBS component.

On 8/19/2018 at 9:07 PM, B35 via Church said:

Do they have to be?

The S74 used to be the longest until it got cut back to Charleston Depot, which makes the S78 the longest one which has to go thru Tottenville just to get to the depotDepot

On 8/21/2018 at 1:48 PM, FLX9304 said:

The S74 used to be the longest until it got cut back to Charleston Depot, which makes the S78 the longest one which has to go thru Tottenville just to get to the depotDepot

Staten Island routes seem pretty quick overall tho. Different type of density especially the South Shore routes. So you could prob support those 10 plus mile routes a lot easier. Opposed to a Bx41 which has been scaled back quite a bit. I remember and used to take the M100 in Riverdale as a kid what 125th to 263rd? And more recently the M5. Id argue the fastest routes in the City on SI.. The S89/S79 are hands down the quickest non-express routes ive used with the Q53 in a distance 3rd.

3 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Staten Island routes seem pretty quick overall tho. Different type of density especially the South Shore routes. So you could prob support those 10 plus mile routes a lot easier. Opposed to a Bx41 which has been scaled back quite a bit. I remember and used to take the M100 in Riverdale as a kid what 125th to 263rd? And more recently the M5. Id argue the fastest routes in the City on SI.. The S89/S79 are hands down the quickest non-express routes ive used with the Q53 in a distance 3rd.

Want a quick route look up the s42....

2 hours ago, trife86 said:

Yep, St George area super short route indeed kinda like it's Queens counterpart the Q42.  The S89 was just an unexpectedly fast run I don't think we stopped at a light once in NJ on 440. Richmond Ave once we passed Victory guy was in the left lane down to the Mall. There are certain routes on SI where the roles are almost flipped the Express Routes make all the stops and pickups on Island and a Limited bus may have a larger space between stops. I've seen S79's bypass and beat several  X1(SIM1 now) down Hylan to Eltingville. Same with the S89 the other day passed afew SIM4's along with S44/94 and S59's. Can't say the same for any other place in the City. I guess Staten Islands isolation and unique express bus network makes it abit Special.

6 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Officially the S55 and S79 are the quickest local routes in the city.

2 hours ago, trife86 said:

It's not that quick, it's just short.

5 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Never took the S55. But I think I saw it leaving the Mall.  Agreed on the S79 I take it when I don't want to pay that toll visiting SI 😝..  

31 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Never took the S55. But I think I saw it leaving the Mall.  Agreed on the S79 I take it when I don't want to pay that toll visiting SI 😝..  

The S55 is also one of the lowest-ridership routes in the city, so that plays a small role, since it doesn't make many stops (so unfortunately, not many people are able to take advantage of its speed)

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It's not that quick, it's just short.

If people ride it end to end they will say wow that was quick , not that it was short they already can see it's short. 

5 minutes ago, trife86 said:

If people ride it end to end they will say wow that was quick , not that it was short they already can see it's short. 

It can take a 20-25 minutes just to go 3 miles (and I say that as somebody who's used it multiple times). That's 7-9 miles per hour, not really quick. Heck, there were times I've taken the S44/94 to Henderson & Lafayette and walked up the hill because that was quicker.

8 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It can take a 20-25 minutes just to go 3 miles (and I say that as somebody who's used it multiple times). That's 7-9 miles per hour, not really quick. Heck, there were times I've taken the S44/94 to Henderson & Lafayette and walked up the hill because that was quicker.

Idont know man Everytime I been on it it's 14-16min

4 hours ago, trife86 said:

The part in bold is conveyed as if people don't verbalize that they just got through riding some short route, which is just not the case....

Furthermore, riders don't have to say that it was/wasn't short for some route to be quick or not.... Matter fact, both those terms tend to be used interchangeably on some short route anyway....

4 minutes ago, P3F said:

According to http://busturnaround.nyc, the averages are:

Q35: 16.3 mph

S79: 14.5 mph

S55: 14.4 mph

S56: 13.9 mph

Quick? Yes. The quickest in the city? No.

Stole my thunder... I was just going to mention the Q35.

Archived