New bie bus operator

leaniel3209

IEverything will be by seniority, yeah. While at Zerega, your list number will determine your seniority order among your classmates. After the Day 1-10 training, you will pick depots in Brooklyn, The Bronx and Manhattan based on where there are openings. OR your entire class can be forced to work in Staten Island or Queens for the time being.

After you pick depots, you will be assigned a peg number which is your seniority throughout the whole system. When you pick for work, holidays, etc., It goes in peg number order at your respective depots.

So when you get out of line training and you are on your own, more than likely, you will be on the extra list. Your hours will vary (they are generally either AMs or PMs) and your days off are the same. You will work the list until one of the four scheduled picks come around. These picks will allow you to choose what work you want, hours, days off, etc. 3 of the 4 picks will be done in seniority order at your depot. The last one is the system pick, done by seniority order across everyone in the three boros. The system pick also allows you to change the depot you work at. For example, if you start right now, yoy

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, coming out of training. 

15 hours ago, leaniel3209 said:

Ok , but basically you dont get options at first, and what you mean about the ams and pms  

Yeah, it's gonna be sparse in the beginning, depending where you fall among your classmates and the depot you pick into. 

Like if you came to SI right now (Monday is the last day of our pick):

There's 26 spots at Castleton, 7 spots at Charleston and 15 spots at Yukon. If your class was the only people picking on Monday and you was first to go, you got 48 choices at work.

If all luck of the draw. 

Ok , but i live in pa , and have family in ny , so i see it as incase of emergency , like snow and stuff like that if i have to stay in ny is closer for me to pick out bx or manhattan , but before you choose your depot they also tell you the slots that are open , in other words they let you know before you pick  or no ,cause if i can get good days and schedule i can probably stay in staten island and worse scenerario a telly wont be bad in case of emergency , and its closer to pa than going up there to the heights and bx

You do line training and learn the lines out of Kingsbridge. After you graduate, you will be on the extra list. You will work the list until one of the picks come up and then you choose your work. 

Also the AM/PM thing about the list... The work on the list is assigned in report time order. Meaning slot 1 if not a report, will get the first open run, slot 2 gets the second, etc. Usually the higher your slot number, the more later you work. So because of this, you'll see operators divide the list in half. Top half is AMs, middle is midday reports, and the bottom half is PMs. However, this is just a guide. If there's enough open AM work, then you can be the last slot on the list (let's say slot 41/41) and still get an AM report. 

One smaller note is that the work given to the ops on the extra list is affected by the ops working the Vacation Relief Extra List. (Two different things)

31 minutes ago, Mtahopeful2287 said:

What is the difference in nyct bus and mta bus bus operator is work location the difference?

NYCT Bus is NYCTA and MABSTOA combined. MTA Bus is the collection of the old private bus lines. 

NYCTA is civil service and is the only one considered to be the city job. Pension is serviced by NYCERs. Work location wise, you can work in all the boros, just specific depots you can/cannot. For example, you have to be TA if you want to work in SI or the three TA depots in Queens. 

MaBSTOA, the pension is privately serviced. You can work in Manhattan, The Bronx and Brooklyn at depots that belonged to the MTA and was not original to the private bus lines. 

MTA Bus is the same thing and you can only work at the ex private bus line depots in Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx. MTA Bus is the only one of the three that hires part time bus operators. (@ Spring Creek depot)

There's much more differences than this, this is just what I can think of right now. 

Thanks , one more thing do you really need to put jobs that you had  right after high school on the pre employment , its crazy to think what was the first job out of high school , i need to fill out this pre employment app. Today or tomorrow , its just filling this app out , it got me bugging but have everything else they need thanks god

28 minutes ago, leaniel3209 said:

My understanding is that they  ask you which depot or where you want t work ? Cause i dont care pms , its just a depot i want to report

If they aren't forcing your entire class somewhere, then you all will be told which depots are open and how many slots are available for each. It may not all be depots in the city or the Bronx. Brooklyn might be the only place open at the time. 

34 minutes ago, leaniel3209 said:

Thanks , one more thing do you really need to put jobs that you had  right after high school on the pre employment , its crazy to think what was the first job out of high school , i need to fill out this pre employment app. Today or tomorrow , its just filling this app out , it got me bugging but have everything else they need thanks god

IINM, they need the last 10 years of job history, so if that goes back to high school, then you need it. If you can't remember, you can get a printout of your job history from Social Security. 

Ohh ok , i did an acct in social security on line but dont give me access to work history , but if i go to social security administration are they able to give me the paperwork right there , cause i have a dead line till this friday the 17th to go to livingston in brooklyn  being there at 730 , look im 42 yrs old , all i need to put on the work history is the last 10 yrs then , cause its no way im going to remember no one would 

1 hour ago, leaniel3209 said:

One other question mta request that you go online and get your driving abstract how many years  of  abstract driving history ?

Abstract goes back however many years it does, it's no options or choice. If you have NY license they will check it.

21 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

IINM, they need the last 10 years of job history, so if that goes back to high school, then you need it. If you can't remember, you can get a printout of your job history from Social Security. 

on that topic i have had  only 1 job and that job was an under the table gig with my mom's home health business and i havent had a job in a while would i get it held against me?

Well i called every employer and got the dates lol , cause i called social security and they said to call irs to get w2s and thats a headache xalling irs now need to get myself to get a blue ballpoint pen to fill this out , and going straight fown to livingston tomorrow , have to wake up early since its a long drive from pennsylvannia , thanks for your help in answering questions 

Archived