"7 years for hitting a MTA employee?" They didn't care...

Deucey

Let me just put this out there People have no right to assault an operator.

However, riders should know which T/O or B/O or conductor is driving which train. This way people could complain more to the MTA. When people feel like they have control, violence goes down. Some buses I believe in LA or something has the following on their interior bus display date, time, stops and B/O number. It’s time to do the same in NY

3 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Let me just put this out there People have no right to assault an operator.

However, riders should know which T/O or B/O or conductor is driving which train. This way people could complain more to the MTA. When people feel like they have control, violence goes down. Some buses I believe in LA or something has the following on their interior bus display date, time, stops and B/O number. It’s time to do the same in NY

No need for that. With the bus number or train car number, it's easy enough to file a report if necessary.

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

No need for that. With the bus number or train car number, it's easy enough to file a report if necessary.

The average rider doesn't know that, and I agree. Riders feel powerless. For as much as the employees complain about being abused, I constantly see discrimination and preferential treatment on a daily basis. I heard Byford on the news last night talking about how workers are verbally assaulted, threatened and physically assaulted and spat on daily. He needs to put it all out there. We need better respect on both sides. Workers need to be trained to be courteous and stop giving special treatment to women while essentially ignoring other riders. I routinely see bus operators refusing to kneel for male passengers even elderly men of all colors, but they go out of their way for women, especially white women. 

I was on a BxM2 a few weeks ago. Driver picks up a white middle aged female at 81st and Central Park West and takes her to Madison and 80th. When a Hispanic man boarded and questioned why the white women was allowed to board the express bus and get off like that, the driver made up a BS excuse about how there was no local bus. There is one... It's called the M79... Then the man commented on how he had never been allowed to do such a thing, but of course the woman could because she was white. I was glad to hear him say that out loud. It needs to be done more often. I seen that very thing very often too and the passenger is always a white female. Let a male try to do that of any background and see how infrequently it would be allowed.  Rules are applied or not based on such things and it shouldn't be happening. You want to do that? Okay do it for all passengers then, otherwise it reeks of favoritism at a minimum.

19 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Its getting to the point where (MTA) workers gonna start bringing there own weapons to work....Most already said there fed up with the violence against them and enough is enough....

Literally the same exact thought that came to mind....

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think that whole 7 years think is so stupid.  You think a passenger gives a damn about that?  Granted (MTA) workers are not Federal workers, which I believe is part of the reason why the penalty isn't stiffer, but the way it's advertised has always been so stupid.

Didn't they start putting those stickers on the buses after that Edwin Thomas incident? Not to say that anyone should be taking out their frustrations with this agency on the front line workers themselves, but the actual penalty I don't believe should be advertised at all..... When these sons of bitches get caught, let that cord hard reality of having to face a judge & have him/her recite how long the duration of the penalty for your actual crime, sink in......

The fear of the unknown is real & sometimes how you send a message matters more than the message itself.... You don't know how much I get a kick out of seeing these criminals crying like pu**ies and/or start fainting in court... Where all that bravado go!?

19 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

....Another thing is that they completely lacked on logical senses

Few people in this world can still be logical when they're pissed off.... When you have savages out here that can't wait to get out here on some rah rah shit, they'll literally take/make any opportunity to act a zip damn fool (as displayed in the video)... The egging on of &  joining in with Mr. T there in the red shirt by onlookers is just as distasteful, disgraceful, & downright disgusting as the initial assault that took place....

20 hours ago, Just New York said:

When do you hold the neglect MTA employees who refuse to help people or don’t have the courtesy to inform people on what’s going on. With out people you don’t have a job Point blank the people are not here for them it’s the other way. I don’t believe in over doing thing but let’s not act as if the MTA does not allow there workers to be uninformed and absolutely no help but have Attitudes.

12 hours ago, Just New York said:

As state in the rule book you have discretion you are a Civil servent. You job is to move people it’s not your job to play politics a lot of driver bring that energy on there self. You don’t like helping people get another there are tons of job your not require to deal with the public. The crime part i don’t agree with at all I also understand both side it’s a give and take.

Nice false narrative....

This isn't about holding MTA employees responsible for not helping people.... You say you don't agree with "the crime part" & at the same time, talk this jazz about bringing (negative) energy onto themselves.... This isn't no f***ing give & take situation; that c/r didn't deserve what ended up happening to him because those jackasses weren't informed... Go somewhere with this nonsense.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:39 AM, Just New York said:

Mind your business T/O that don’t do there job but quick to mouth off to patrons. You get what you put out these are the reason are system is such a joke.

Hahaha, are you joking??

No amount of "mouthing off to patrons" (and the article doesn't say anything of the sort happened) justifies violently assaulting someone. You have a very skewed sense of justice.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Didn't they start putting those stickers on the buses after that Edwin Thomas incident? Not to say that anyone should be taking out their frustrations with this agency on the front line workers themselves, but the actual penalty I don't believe should be advertised at all..... When these sons of bitches get caught, let that cord hard reality of having to face a judge & have him/her recite how long the duration of the penalty for your actual crime, sink in......

Ok. The point I was trying to get to was that if these criminals don't care now, then look for a way to MAKE THEM CARE!! Though doing such a thing would be difficult. I feel like body camera's won't be enough to stop them. 

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Ok. The point I was trying to get to was that if these criminals don't care now, then look for a way to MAKE THEM CARE!! Though doing such a thing would be difficult. I feel like body camera's won't be enough to stop them. 

um, bro, O....kay.

My response to VG8 was based on the advertising of the 7 year punishment (and the agreeance of the questionable overt advertising of it), not your point before the fact about increasing the stiffness of the penalty....

To the point you present to me here though, well I'll say this.... All the *making them care* outcries in the world isn't going to do much to deter someone that's set out to do any type of wrongdoing..... There's a cliché that goes something to the effect of, you cannot change people - it's up to that individual to want to evoke change within him/herself..... Whether to invoke some type of negative reinforcement or positive reinforcement as an avenue for some criminal to start acting right (lol), is moot, if said criminal simply DGAF....

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

um, bro, O....kay.

My response to VG8 was based on the advertising of the 7 year punishment (and the agreeance of the questionable overt advertising of it), not your point before the fact about increasing the stiffness of the penalty....

To the point you present to me here though, well I'll say this.... All the *making them care* outcries in the world isn't going to do much to deter someone that's set out to do any type of wrongdoing..... There's a cliché that goes something to the effect of, you cannot change people - it's up to that individual to want to evoke change within him/herself..... Whether to invoke some type of negative reinforcement or positive reinforcement as an avenue for some criminal to start acting right (lol), is moot, if said criminal simply DGAF....

Truth...Not like Three Strikes didn't increase the incarceration rates of black and latino people - despite all the advertising of it (notwithstanding the biases in policing and justice).

This is a city that is stuck in a paradox right now.  So, the City gets rid of policies that aggressively deter these sorts of acts, and then when that happens and this sort of thing goes on, everyone is "up in arms" about how "horrible" it is.  Well you can't have it both ways.  You can't be lax on preventing such things and then not expect it to happen.  Thugs like the idea of less enforcement so that they can go around and their thing.  

On 8/14/2018 at 2:39 AM, Just New York said:

Mind your business T/O that don’t do there job but quick to mouth off to patrons. You get what you put out these are the reason are system is such a joke.

What the hell are you talking about?!?!?!?! I just wanna hear what you have to say before i give my 2 cents!

On 8/14/2018 at 8:56 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's unfortunate. The people with money will turn to Uber like I do. The poor... Well they do what these people did... Smh

i swear! you and you IGNANT' replies!

And don't try to play off the fact that i said IGNANT' and not IGNORANT!

2 minutes ago, I Run Trains said:

i swear! you and you IGNANT' replies!

And don't try to play off the fact that i said IGNANT' and not IGNORANT!

It's okay. You don't have to admit it, but it's the "ignant" types that are beating up your colleagues, not white collar types like me.  

35 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This is a city that is stuck in a paradox right now.  So, the City gets rid of policies that aggressively deter these sorts of acts, and then when that happens and this sort of thing goes on, everyone is "up in arms" about how "horrible" it is.  Well you can't have it both ways.  You can't be lax on preventing such things and then not expect it to happen.  Thugs like the idea of less enforcement so that they can go around and their thing.  

What policies 'deter' such acts? No one goes, "hmm, I might go to jail for beating this person up, let me think about it for five minutes." 

Summer heat + anger at the MTA = bad news.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:38 AM, Just New York said:

When do you hold the neglect MTA employees who refuse to help people or don’t have the courtesy to inform people on what’s going on. With out people you don’t have a job Point blank the people are not here for them it’s the other way. I don’t believe in over doing thing but let’s not act as if the MTA does not allow there workers to be uninformed and absolutely no help but have Attitudes.

"MTA employees who refuse to help people or don’t have the courtesy to inform people on what’s going on." 

how about most of the time y'all people be Sleep, or have your headphones on sky high and can't hear the announcements that are being made? thats not our fault! I will admit that there are some a**hole on the joke that are idiots, but not everybody is like that. My personality alone will not allow me to Not help a person especially when i have that info they need!

On 8/14/2018 at 12:00 PM, m7zanr160s said:

Suppose the PA system in their car was not working... Suppose they go to mta.info for service changes and track work... I wouldn't be surprised if they owned a, you know, cell phone... Certainly you can get all that info there and know ahead of time. Yeah, some transit workers do have bad attitudes, but I'm pretty sure a lot of that comes from having to deal with jerk passengers that have no idea how the system works. You know, like the ones that leave their house with no cushion time; needing their commute to go absolutely perfect in order to get to work on time... ...No reason to put hands on the conductor.

THANK YOU!!!! SOMEBODY GETS IT!!!

as a train operator, i went out my way working the (1) line one trip! the PA in my car wasn't working so what do i do? when we had to make express stops, i open my cab door and yell the stops out the the passengers. thats not in my job description, but it saved me a headache from there people as well!

11 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

What policies 'deter' such acts? No one goes, "hmm, I might go to jail for beating this person up, let me think about it for five minutes." 

Summer heat + anger at the MTA = bad news.

Let's see... For starters cracking down on farebeaters in the first place and that other policy that everyone goes crazy over in NYC... Stop & Frisk... So if we're going to throw Stop & Frisk out AND stop enforcing the fare by having fewer cops on the beat (the (MTA) plans on doing just that due to "budget constraints" yet again <_<), what do you propose then?  It's a pretty well known fact that most of the people committing crimes within the subway system don't pay the damn fare. Never mind all of that though.  We can't enforce the fare.  Let's give them a summons that they will likely never pay.  I mean seriously.  If the person didn't pay $2.75, why in the hell would they pay the summons?  We have idiots running this City, and I'm glad I didn't vote for them!  

I'd like to know how much money is collected from such summonses and where does it go?  This is an agency that constantly cries broke and admits that they have a fare evasion problem yet they refuse to recoup the monies that they should be collecting and then they act shocked when their employees are attacked. When you have mentally disturbed people entering the system and thugs, none of whom pay and wouldn't be in the system if the fare was enforced, this is what you get.

15 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's okay. You don't have to admit it, but it's the "ignant" types that are beating up your colleagues, not white collar types like me.  

Not all true because i've seen your type assault my colleagues too! its not a black or white thing but lets keep it 100! YOUR PEOPLE have made attacks on  workers as well.. Effed Up part is the shit don't go viral all the time!

8 minutes ago, I Run Trains said:

Not all true because i've seen your type assault my colleagues too! its not a black or white thing but lets keep it 100! YOUR PEOPLE have made attacks on  workers as well.. Effed Up part is the shit don't go viral all the time!

Who said anything about black or white? I said white collar types as in white collar professionals.  In all of the years that I've used the express bus I have never seen an express bus driver attacked, and if it happens, it is indeed an anomaly. That's why they didn't even bother installing partition shields on the express buses. I'm not going to waste my time with such nonsense. I simply pull out my phone, file a complaint and go about my day, and that's what most folks like me do or they contact their elected officials, which I do as well.  It is a much more effective tool.  In fact one of your colleagues even admitted as much. He essentially said that people in the hood and hood types resort to violence like that and it's the truth.  P.S. Hood types can be any color.

Now on the flip side. Before some of these people decides to "attack" or even start to have words with a work, they will side them up. test them, see what type of time they are on before they even think about saying or doing something. I've been in situations where things happened in my car that i've had to handle and these clowns would look at me and say what they have to say and the look on my face alone says I'M WITH THE SHITS! I'm 6'3 250lbs. so i already have a advantage over most that have tried me. We the workers are NOT ALLOWED to fight back BUT we are allowed to defend ourself meaning after you attack me first, i have one chance to knock your ass out to get you off me and i better make it count!.. overall the bottom line is these cowards know who they can try! But then there is a flip side of things from a transit workers point of view that i will keep quiet! and other (MTA) workers know what i am talking about!

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

In fact one of your colleagues even admitted as much. He essentially said that people in the hood and hood types resort to violence like that and it's the truth.  P.S. Hood types can be any color.

for once in my life i can't disagree with you on that part!.....

But let make one thing clear!... Im from the hood. I was raised in the hood!

then i Moved out the hood into your neighborhood "Riverdale" Fieldston Road.

And I'm upstate now! i say that to say you can't blame all people in the hood. some people in the hood had parents that cared and taught them right from wrong! Me being from the Hood i loved beating up on the bullies that bothered the innocent. right is right wrong is wrong. but you are way too judgmental!.. Hell you probably judge me too... matter a fact i know you do and that is fine with me. Just know god forbid these cowards was to ever come at you while you are riding my train, ill be the one to save you! -Facts-

1 minute ago, I Run Trains said:

for once in my life i can't disagree with you on that part!.....

But let make one thing clear!... Im from the hood. I was raised in the hood!

then i Moved out the hood into your neighborhood "Riverdale" Fieldston Road.

And I'm upstate now! i say that to say you can't blame all people in the hood. some people in the hood had parents that cared and taught them right from wrong! Me being from the Hood i loved beating up on the bullies that bothered the innocent. right is right wrong is wrong. but you are way too judgmental!.. Hell you probably judge me too... matter a fact i know you do and that is fine with me. Just know god forbid these cowards was to ever come at you while you are riding my train, ill be the one to save you! -Facts-

I think I can defend myself just fine... I'm taller than you (6'4" 210) at a minimum. I do just fine defending myself. :D

1 minute ago, I Run Trains said:

yeah! You are taller but you are light in the ass! LMAO!

LOL... I take care of myself trust me, so I am definitely in shape... I look "slim" but I'm in shape for sure.  I've had my share of morons on the subway. One good shove sends them flying.  The guy was my height but skinner... Shoved him right off out of the subway car.  You probably think I'm some scrawny white guy.  I'm of mixed background, so you'd be mistaken. Besides Sicilians have tempers, which I get from my fathers folks.

Archived