"7 years for hitting a MTA employee?" They didn't care...

Deucey

Anyone know who these people are?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny-metro-conductor-assaulted-by-riders-20180813-story.html

Hotheaded straphangers took out their frustration on a conductor, assaulting him while his train was at the Grant Ave. station in Brooklyn early Saturday morning, officials said.

Police said that the conductor reported complaints from three people angry that they missed their stop on the southbound A train that had been running express.

Videos posted to Facebook of the assault that took place about 4 a.m. show a man in a red T-shirt arguing with the conductor before reaching into his cab in an attempt to drag him out. Police said another person threw beer cans at the conductor, scratching his arm. He also suffered a laceration from a punch.

Then the punches started flying — a woman in the group joined in, swinging wildly at the conductor, as he fends off the attack.

"What the f--k is wrong with you," a voice can be heard in the video. "Get him, that's right, get him," someone can be heard saying as the assault happens.

Fellow passengers can be heard yelling, "Stop, stop" and "That's seven years," referring to the maximum penalty for the Class D felony of assaulting a transit worker.

The train was discharged at the nearby Rockaway Park station, where the conductor gave a report to the police.

Jonathan Baldwin, a bus driver who saw one of the Facebook videos, posted a recording of it to Twitter to call attention to assaults on transit workers.

"It's sickening, it's disgusting," Baldwin, 37, said. "We get the blunt force of all the drama."

NYC Transit President Andy Byford released a statement callign the attack unacceptable.

“I’m disgusted by this horrific assault of our colleague. It is absolutely unacceptable, and we are working closely with the NYPD to make certain the perpetrators are identified, arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Byford said.

“We’re also collaborating with TWU Local 100 on ways to combat assaults, including discussing a potential pilot program for bodycams. Transit workers are on the front lines every day making this city run and they deserve a safe work environment and the appreciation of fellow New Yorkers, not the heinous treatment seen here.”

Transport Workers Union Local 100 added the suspect's image to a "Wanted" poster of people accused of assaulting MTA employees.

“If you attack one of our members, we are going to do everything in our power to make sure you are identified, arrested and prosecuted,” TWU President Tony Utano said. “We’re fighting back against these criminals.”

As mentioned in text, may not be a bad idea to try out bodycams, or a dashcam like system on trains. Would be great for scaring off or identifying criminals like those in the video, even if incidents like these are pretty rare. Other than that, have no idea who those people are, definitely gotta get some chill pills, or a shrink.

15 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

As mentioned in text, may not be a bad idea to try out bodycams, or a dashcam like system on trains. Would be great for scaring off or identifying criminals like those in the video, even if incidents like these are pretty rare. Other than that, have no idea who those people are, definitely gotta get some chill pills, or a shrink.

Let them get that 7 years and a trespassing conviction since ol' boy reached into the cab to grab.

Plus ol' boy's face is clear in the video...

The fact that three passengers assaulted a Rockaway Park (A) train conductor at Grant Avenue just because they missed their local stop due to a General Order is beyond horrific. What I do not really understand is why a person that assaulted a Post Office worker or a cab driver gets a twenty five year sentence, while the (NYCT) and the (MTA) deems seven years is enough for an assault that happens to one of their own, be it conductor, bus driver, train driver or any other MTA employee. What I hope Byford would look into is looking to extend the felony sentence to five or even six times the current length to really emphasize that any assault that occurs on their watch shall not be tolerated. It looks to me like seven years for an assault of an MTA employee is a total joke, which is why some passengers do not give a damn regarding this.

Is that not part of the reason why those Plexiglas shields were first deployed on routes from Flatbush, since during the previous year, Edwin Thomas was driving a :bus_bullet_b46_ltd: bus based in Flatbush when he got fatally stabbed by a bus passenger because he refused to give a bus transfer to the murderer for failing to pay the then exact change?

53 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

The fact that three passengers assaulted a Rockaway Park (A) train conductor at Grant Avenue just because they missed their local stop due to a General Order is beyond horrific. What I do not really understand is why a person that assaulted a Post Office worker or a cab driver gets a twenty five year sentence, while the (NYCT) and the (MTA) deems seven years is enough for an assault that happens to one of their own, be it conductor, bus driver, train driver or any other MTA employee. What I hope Byford would look into is looking to extend the felony sentence to five or even six times the current length to really emphasize that any assault that occurs on their watch shall not be tolerated. It looks to me like seven years for an assault of an MTA employee is a total joke, which is why some passengers do not give a damn regarding this.

Is that not part of the reason why those Plexiglas shields were first deployed on routes from Flatbush, since during the previous year, Edwin Thomas was driving a :bus_bullet_b46_ltd: bus based in Flatbush when he got fatally stabbed by a bus passenger because he refused to give a bus transfer to the murderer for failing to pay the then exact change?

Edwin Thomas did not deserve to be killed he also should have just gave the transfer. You are a civil servent you here to help people not take matter into your own hands because you have power. You have desertion when it come to the fare but most choose to be ass holes because they can.

Let's not turn this into a haves vs have-nots situation. These are just some thugs looking to cause trouble and simply used the first opportunity that came to mind. The fact the train bypassed their stop was really just an excuse to start shit.

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

Let's not turn this into a haves vs have-nots situation. These are just some thugs looking to cause trouble and simply used the first opportunity that came to mind. The fact the train bypassed their stop was really just an excuse to start shit.

Well this isn't the first time such a situation has occurred and quite frankly it's becoming more common. I don't know how much you pay attention to social media but there are lots of these episodes going around with those of lesser means attacking bus drivers or train operators because their mode of transport was late or they were asked to pay and didn't etc etc. Troubling that these people resort to violence for such things. If such videos weren't constantly coming out such a comment wouldn't have been made. Just a personal observation. Clearly those half fare Metrocards won't resolve these incidents.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

When do you hold the neglect MTA employees who refuse to help people or don’t have the courtesy to inform people on what’s going on. With out people you don’t have a job Point blank the people are not here for them it’s the other way. I don’t believe in over doing thing but let’s not act as if the MTA does not allow there workers to be uninformed and absolutely no help but have Attitudes.

12 minutes ago, Just New York said:

When do you hold the neglect MTA employees who refuse to help people or don’t have the courtesy to inform people on what’s going on. With out people you don’t have a job Point blank the people are not here for them it’s the other way. I don’t believe in over doing thing but let’s not act as if the MTA does not allow there workers to be uninformed and absolutely no help but have Attitudes.

Suppose the PA system in their car was not working... Suppose they go to mta.info for service changes and track work... I wouldn't be surprised if they owned a, you know, cell phone... Certainly you can get all that info there and know ahead of time. Yeah, some transit workers do have bad attitudes, but I'm pretty sure a lot of that comes from having to deal with jerk passengers that have no idea how the system works. You know, like the ones that leave their house with no cushion time; needing their commute to go absolutely perfect in order to get to work on time... ...No reason to put hands on the conductor.

16 minutes ago, Just New York said:

How did you come to such a conclusion? :lol: I've been one of the most outspoken posters on here over the years for saying what needs to be said which is that (MTA) workers should be held accountable if they are unprofessional, and there are plenty of those floating about.  I've also acknowledged that there are plenty of good dedicated workers at the agency. I have recommended the Apple Award for a few B/Os over the years. I wish they could get more quite frankly.  I hate how a lot of the best workers have the lowest seniority so they just get the bottom of the barrel, while some of the guys with seniority are the absolute worst.  That said, the appropriate thing to do is simply file a complaint and let the agency reprimand the individual which may include them being fired.  Assaulting anyone however is just a no no.  It should never reach that level, not unless they physically assault a passenger and you need to defend yourself.  It works both ways.  If a passenger becomes angry over a particular worker, speaking with them is fine IMO.  I've found that often times when there is dialogue things can work out well.  Things happen. We're all human. 

Just now, biGC323232 said:

Its getting to the point where (MTA) workers gonna start bringing there own weapons to work....Most already said there fed up with the violence against them and enough is enough....

I think that whole 7 years think is so stupid.  You think a passenger gives a damn about that?  Granted (MTA) workers are not Federal workers, which I believe is part of the reason why the penalty isn't stiffer, but the way it's advertised has always been so stupid.

24 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think that whole 7 years think is so stupid.  You think a passenger gives a damn about that?  Granted (MTA) workers are not Federal workers, which I believe is part of the reason why the penalty isn't stiffer, but the way it's advertised has always been so stupid.

Well if that's the case, then why not increase the prison sentence to 35-40 years. (Or if justified, give 'em a life sentence) just my thoughts. What these passengers did to that conductor was beyond disgraceful. 

Another thing is that they completely lacked on logical senses

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Well if that's the case, then why not increase the prison sentence to 35-40 years. (Or if justified, give 'em a life sentence) just my thoughts. What these passengers did to that conductor was beyond disgraceful. 

That's not going to deter people. That's just going to cost taxpayers more money to lock up people needlessly for no reason.

Longer prison sentences don't actually stop people from committing a crime, which is why even a lot of Republican heavy states are now reducing sentencings for many crimes.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

That's not going to deter people. That's just going to cost taxpayers more money to lock up people needlessly for no reason.

Longer prison sentences don't actually stop people from committing a crime, which is why even a lot of Republican heavy states are now reducing sentencings for many crimes.

I understand, yet I don't understand, why Conductors need to open the window and look around when the train stops. Why not just upgrade the CCTV used at platforms?

17 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I understand, yet I don't understand, why Conductors need to open the window and look around when the train stops. Why not just upgrade the CCTV used at platforms?

That one is based on past procedures. Conductors would open their window, they would point to the conductor board (the conductor board procedure has been in place since 1996), they would make their announcements before looking to their side to close the doors and their partner's side (in this case, the train driver's side) to close the doors there. As the train moves, they would keep looking both sides to make sure no passenger does something stupid like surfing before finally closing their window.

14 hours ago, Just New York said:

Edwin Thomas did not deserve to be killed he also should have just gave the transfer. You are a civil servent you here to help people not take matter into your own hands because you have power. You have desertion when it come to the fare but most choose to be ass holes because they can.

It's not being an a**hole when you're enforcing the rules. Mr. Thomas was under no obligation to give that criminal any transfer, especially when he evaded the fare. It's an absolute shame he was killed, but we shouldn't have to bend over and turn the cheek on crime either.

1 hour ago, Cabanamaner said:

It's not being an a**hole when you're enforcing the rules. Mr. Thomas was under no obligation to give that criminal any transfer, especially when he evaded the fare. It's an absolute shame he was killed, but we shouldn't have to bend over and turn the cheek on crime either.

As state in the rule book you have discretion you are a Civil servent. You job is to move people it’s not your job to play politics a lot of driver bring that energy on there self. You don’t like helping people get another there are tons of job your not require to deal with the public. The crime part i don’t agree with at all I also understand both side it’s a give and take.

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

3 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

That one is based on past procedures. Conductors would open their window, they would point to the conductor board (the conductor board procedure has been in place since 1996), they would make their announcements before looking to their side to close the doors and their partner's side (in this case, the train driver's side) to close the doors there. As the train moves, they would keep looking both sides to make sure no passenger does something stupid like surfing before finally closing their window.

It's to enforce memory, and is based off of Japanese railway practice. Basically, if physical and audio announcements have to be made, people are more likely to remember to do something.

A notable exception is New York City’s MTA subway system, whose conductors have used a modified point-only system since 1996 after then Chief Transportation Officer Nathaniel Ford was fascinated by the point-and-call system during a business trip to Japan. In the MTA’s case, conductors point to a fixed black-and-white “zebra board” to confirm a stopped train is correctly located along the platform.

According to MTA spokeswoman Amanda Kwan, conductors were quick to adapt to the new system, and within two years of implementation, incidents of incorrectly berthed subways fell 57 percent.

6 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

It's to enforce memory, and is based off of Japanese railway practice. Basically, if physical and audio announcements have to be made, people are more likely to remember to do something.

So would three windows - solid bottom half and two quarter panels that slide - be the answer to prevent people from reaching in?

Because I can see the reason for pointing, but not sticking heads out when the door lights outside the train can be fitted with cameras - alongside a HUD in the cabins - to check for surfers and people holding doors.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

The monitors are usually used at curved stations where it's hard if not impossible to observe the platform and close down safely without them. It would probably be hard to justify the cost of installing them at every single station when they don't need them.

And even with the monitors it's still recommended to look outside of your window and observe because yeah it may look clear in the rear of the train, but you may have some passenger who bolted last minute to the next car from your position and and stuck their arm in the train (because lord knows my train is the last train on earth) now you're looking at the monitor and see the doors closed in the rear but you don't have indication for the rear section of the train. It happened to me today at Union Square. 

Also not surprised to see someone in here justifying an employee getting assaulted, yet they complain about the service smh.

38 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Also not surprised to see someone in here justifying an employee getting assaulted, yet they complain about the service smh.

Forget complaining about service. Unless said employee is attacking you and you see no non-violent means of conflict resolution, you have no right to act in such a way. That's what separates us from anarchists. Allowing people moral latitude in times of frustration is what leads to riots -- I've seen it happen time and again in India. There is a reason we have legal recourse here. 

Archived