B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

This pretty much. You, a part of, or your entire class can be forced to go to SI or Queens. When I started, my entire class went.

So, in the event were forced to go to S.I. or Queens....Can we return back to a regular depot in Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

This pretty much. You, a part of, or your entire class can be forced to go to SI or Queens. When I started, my entire class went.

How do we get  dot ?   It has to be  federal one?..I currently have the non federal one since I was supposed to drive a cmv (box truck)

Edited by mattfutureconductor5

First time on this forum. Very informative. For starters, I’ve received my call for pre-employment last week. My appointment date is Monday the 26th. Truly thankful that I even got the call back. I do have my license, but I’ve only got it 4 months ago. Usually a very quick learner as I got it only weeks after getting my permit. I know that MTA says I must’ve had this license for at least 3 years. Should I just quit while I’m ahead at this point? I truly don’t want to be studying for my CDL permit test, which I scheduled for August 2nd, and get turned away cause I’ll be a novice driver in MTA’s eyes. Thank you in advance. 

5 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

How do we get  dot ?   It has to be  federal one?..I currently have the non federal one since I was supposed to drive a cmv (box truck)

Click here to find a location. From my experience, I would just call ahead to make sure the DOT physician is in. Depending on where you live, there might be one available at your local CityMD (click here for a list of their locations).

3 hours ago, lornaevo said:

It’s so easy to get the medical done. I would never advise someone to take that A3 

I agree. The last time I had one done, they didn't even do a "full" medical. They asked you for your height, weight, checked your vision using the snellen eye chart, took your blood pressure, checked your sugar via your urine, you chatted with the physician assistant, and that was pretty much it! And the second-to-last time I had this done at a different location, it was pretty basic as well.

1 hour ago, SubwayEngineer12 said:

I do have my license, but I’ve only got it 4 months ago. Usually a very quick learner as I got it only weeks after getting my permit. I know that MTA says I must’ve had this license for at least 3 years. Should I just quit while I’m ahead at this point? I truly don’t want to be studying for my CDL permit test, which I scheduled for August 2nd, and get turned away cause I’ll be a novice driver in MTA’s eyes. Thank you in advance. 

46 minutes ago, SubwayEngineer12 said:

*edit* it’s not looking good for me. Looks like I will not be working for TA.

Although the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination states that "your motor vehicle license ... must have been valid in the State of New York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to the position," I would keep an eye out on this webpage for the next Bus Operator Exam, in which I would encourage you to apply and see what happens.

In addition, if they extend the termination date of the list one more year to November of 2024, compared to November of 2023, you can always restore your name to the list, and see what happens from there.

Good luck everyone!!

18 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Click here to find a location. From my experience, I would just call ahead to make sure the DOT physician is in. Depending on where you live, there might be one available at your local CityMD (click here for a list of their locations).

I agree. The last time I had one done, they didn't even do a "full" medical. They asked you for your height, weight, checked your vision using the snellen eye chart, took your blood pressure, checked your sugar via your urine, you chatted with the physician assistant, and that was pretty much it! And the second-to-last time I had this done at a different location, it was pretty basic as well.

Although the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination states that "your motor vehicle license ... must have been valid in the State of New York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to the position," I would keep an eye out on this webpage for the next Bus Operator Exam, in which I would encourage you to apply and see what happens.

In addition, if they extend the termination date of the list one more year to November of 2024, compared to November of 2023, you can always restore your name to the list, and see what happens from there.

Good luck everyone!!

Question what happened if you don't have a CDL  permit . Do you wait for the next session . I don't mind waiting.  Or they put down the back of the list ?  (My last post of today) feel free  to reply when you can . Waiting for an express bus  30 minutes 😭.

@mattfutureconductor5 if you don’t have the permit at the time of the appointment I believe they take you off the list or you go to the bottom of the list. Problem is for people who don’t have the permit is they can’t get a reservation at the DMV to take the test. If you have the permit you can get the CDL through the training. Program. 

1 hour ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

Question what happened if you don't have a CDL  permit . Do you wait for the next session . I don't mind waiting.  Or they put down the back of the list ?  (My last post of today) feel free  to reply when you can . Waiting for an express bus  30 minutes 😭.

Yes unfortunately they did not even see the your lady today who did not even have her cdl b permit. I will tell you what I did in regards to not having a dmv appointment. I went to my local DMV and explained the severity of needing my cdl b permit for this amazing mta bus operator opportunity. They allowed me in to take the air breaks exam which I only needed and then I received my permit. My suggestion to anyone is go down to the DMV and push for it they'll let you take the exam mostly all of the time without appointment. 

9 hours ago, NMondi said:

@mattfutureconductor5 if you don’t have the permit at the time of the appointment I believe they take you off the list or you go to the bottom of the list. Problem is for people who don’t have the permit is they can’t get a reservation at the DMV to take the test. If you have the permit you can get the CDL through the training. Program. 

If you don't have your permit by the time they run your abstract, which I'm assuming will be shortly after you submit your paperwork electronically, your name will be taken off the list. If you wish to have your name put back on the list, you will have to restore your name back to the list. See the information I posted within the green announcement box located at the top of this webpage for more information on how to do so.

8 hours ago, SubwayEngineer12 said:

@+Young+ how do I go about restoring my name to that list? If that was answered already, what page would I find that on?

The instructions for this are located within the green announcement box, which is located at the very top of this webpage. Several people have asked about this, therefore, to make things a lot easier, I simply posted the information there.

17 hours ago, -Galan- said:

Yes unfortunately they did not even see the your lady today who did not even have her cdl b permit. I will tell you what I did in regards to not having a dmv appointment. I went to my local DMV and explained the severity of needing my cdl b permit for this amazing mta bus operator opportunity. They allowed me in to take the air breaks exam which I only needed and then I received my permit. My suggestion to anyone is go down to the DMV and push for it they'll let you take the exam mostly all of the time without appointment. 

I schedule two appointments with different email and phone number. I think I  will passed general knowledge either Monday or Tuesday.  I got 37/50 on general knowledge. I already found answer of that specific questions in other websites.  15/20in passenger endorsement. I only passed airbrake for now .  Pretty close meeting the minimum passing grade. I will just keep studying..

Edited by mattfutureconductor5

9 hours ago, +Young+ said:

If you don't have your permit by the time they run your abstract, which I'm assuming will be shortly after you submit your paperwork electronically, your name will be taken off the list. If you wish to have your name put back on the list, you will have to restore your name back to the list. See the information I posted within the green announcement box located at the top of this webpage for more information on how to do so.

The instructions for this are located within the green announcement box, which is located at the very top of this webpage. Several people have asked about this, therefore, to make things a lot easier, I simply posted the information there.

Do  DMV changes Exam every weeks for cdl general knowledge / passenger endorsement^? I keep getting 80-100 in practice exam and then I failed the actual test.   Next chance Monday 

3 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

Do  DMV changes Exam every weeks for cdl general knowledge / passenger endorsement^? I keep getting 80-100 in practice exam and then I failed the actual test.   Next chance Monday 

The questions change up but they are still the samefor the most part, the same. If you really want practice I suggest getting a copy of the Commercial Drivers' Manual from the DMV, as it has all the answers word for word in its sections