B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

11 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

To my knowledge, you can click here and either type your name or "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen, followed by pressing "enter" on your keyboard. I know this works on a desktop or laptop, I haven't tried it on a phone or mobile device or anything to that nature.

How do I get to the one for MABSTOA to check on the other progress?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

How do I get to the one for MABSTOA to check on the other progress?

The positions with MaBSTOA & MTA Bus Company, whether it is for Bus Maintainer, Bus Operator, etc. are not civil service positions. Therefore, you would have to call Human Resources (347-643-8229/30/31/32) and inquire yourself, respectively.

• 4 months later...

Although I apologize for 'bumping' this thread/topic, I have good news for those folks who have a low list number and for those who need to obtain their Commercial Learner's Permits (CLP) as well.

As of today, Monday, July 6th, 2020, most of the DMV locations within the tri-state area have re-opened for in person transactions by appointment only. Therefore, since appointments at the DMV are going to be "hotcakes" in the foreseeable future, and if your list number is below 500, it would be a good idea to use "forward planning" to start preparing yourself to get the Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) sometime in the immediate future depending on appointment availability.

To make an appointment to take the multiple-choice exams, click here.

To practice some of the questions before going to the DMV, click here. Remember, the exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum are General Knowledge, Air Brake and Passenger Endorsement.

Good luck!! Stay safe and healthy!!

Edited by +Young+
Editing...

• 4 weeks later...

I apreciate the heads up on this,

I just have a question about the cdl, i currently have a class A cdl with P endorsement, but with a N2 restriction. 

Would i have to go get a class B cdl permit to qualify for the job?

Im also considering if even pursuing the job is worth it... currently drive tractor trailer for a big local food delivery company making in mid 20s hr, do you think it would be wise to go for MTA BO at this point?

Any feedback would be apreciated,

Thanks,

My list number is 4**

1 hour ago, MTAHopeful25 said:

I apreciate the heads up on this,

I just have a question about the cdl, i currently have a class A cdl with P endorsement, but with a N2 restriction.

Would i have to go get a class B cdl permit to qualify for the job?

Im also considering if even pursuing the job is worth it... currently drive tractor trailer for a big local food delivery company making in mid 20s hr, do you think it would be wise to go for MTA BO at this point?

Any feedback would be apreciated,

Thanks,

My list number is 4**

You're welcome as far as the "heads up."

The HR Department would not allow you to continue with the N2 restriction. Therefore, you would have to go back to the DMV to get the Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit). The good news though, at least for you, @MTAHopeful25, is that at one point in my life, I was in the same situation as you! Therefore, if you want to just get the Class B CLP, you do not need to take any more exams, you would just need to pay the fee at that should be it. However, have you considered getting the School Bus endorsement as well? The reason why I ask is because, later on in life, if you want to be able to drive a School Bus, you would have to take another road test in a 'big' bus equipped with Air Brakes just to get this endorsement.

Any job with the City is worth it! With the fact that you get a pension from NYCERS, in addition to the fact that once your probationary year is over, you can take promotional exams for other titles that pay better such as Train Operator, Dispatcher, etc. And I know a lot of other companies out there don't offer a pension at all.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Edited by +Young+
Editing...

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, josephnyy42 said:

Hi my list number is in the 800s. With the whole COVID thing going on, can I expect to be called soon or is there still plenty of time left to get ready? 

With the fact that the agency is still calling candidates off of B/O Exam 7612, although this list was published approximately nine months ago in November of 2019, I would not expect for you to be called soon. With that said, there is time left for you to get ready, but I would not say that there is "plenty of time," especially if you plan on getting the CDL before the 10-Day training session. This is not mandatory, however it is recommended.

In addition, as a friendly reminder, in order to take the multiple-choice exams in order to obtain your Commercial Learner Permit (CLP) from the DMV, you need to make an appointment to do, which you can do by clicking here. Although most of the DMV locations are "booked" with appointments  for the next month, as of this typing, their newest location, the Queens College License Center, located along the **Q20A/B route in between Flushing and Jamaica,** has appointments available for the next week (and yes, I did say "week").

**The Q20A/B stop directly in front of the entrance to Queens Hall, which is where the DMV is located. If you decide to take the Q44-SBS, you will have to walk a block or two.**

Therefore, like I said, you have time, but I would not say that you have "plenty of time."

Edited by +Young+
Typographical correction

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call/text and email today 9/24/2020 from NYCT/MTA advising and reminding me that they anticipate starting to call people from list 9604 in the coming months and advised me to start working on getting my cdl permit.

the call appear to be an automated call no live person.

did anyone else receive this communication?

I want to make sure is not a scam 😀

1 hour ago, MTAHopeful25 said:

Got a call/text and email today 9/24/2020 from NYCT/MTA advising and reminding me that they anticipate starting to call people from list 9604 in the coming months and advised me to start working on getting my cdl permit.

the call appear to be an automated call no live person.

did anyone else receive this communication?

I want to make sure is not a scam 😀

Also got the call and text

7 hours ago, MTAHopeful25 said:

Got a call/text and email today 9/24/2020 from NYCT/MTA advising and reminding me that they anticipate starting to call people from list 9604 in the coming months...

My list number for this particular exam is 6** and I did not get the call/text and e-mail. Perhaps they only did the first 500 candidates?

4 hours ago, Rubygirl20 said:

Definitely real, got the text email and call. List number 1xx. I know the permit expires 6 months after getting it and you can extend it for another six I wonder when would be the ideal time to get it ?

As I stated in the announcement located in the green box at the top of the page, you need to initially make an appointment at the DMV in order to obtain your Commercial Learners Permit (CLP). Click here to make the appointment. Depending on what DMV location is closest to your residence, you are going to have to wait a while before you can even obtain an appointment. As an example, as of this typing (Friday, 9/24/2020 at Midnight):

-The earliest appointment at the Coney Island DMV is November 5th

-The earliest appointment at the Atlantic Center Mall location is October 29th

-The earliest appointment at the Staten Island location is October 29th

-The earliest appointment at their Bronx locations is in early November

-The earliest appointment at one of their newest locations, Queens College License Center, is October 22nd

Therefore, if I was you, I would look to make an appointment As Soon As Possible to get the permit. The prior Bus Operator list, B/O Exam 7612, out of the 2,847 people that are on that list, they are up to the 2,200s for Pre-Employment. And with the fact that not everyone is going to have the CLP or the Commercial Drivers License (CDL), in addition to the fact that everyone is not going to have the 'ideal' **abstract** that they are looking for, and with the fact that not everyone passes the 10-Day training session (click here for more information), I would not be surprised if they start canvassing people to begin the pre-employment process before the end of the calendar year. If you want to get an early start filling out the paperwork, click here.

**As far as the abstract is concerned, you are allowed to have, within the past three years, a maximum of 2 accidents, four points (those defensive driving classes do not count), all tickets paid, nothing pending and no DUI/DWIs or anything to that nature. If you are unsure of what your abstract contains, I would recommend you run off a copy to see what it contains. For New York residents, click here. For New Jersey residents, click here.

Edited by +Young+
Editing...

On 9/25/2020 at 12:01 AM, +Young+ said:

My list number for this particular exam is 6** and I did not get the call/text and e-mail. Perhaps they only did the first 500 candidates?

They might have done up to 600, my list number is 5** and I got the call and text too.

2 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

yes received numerous text messages, automated voicemails and an email. List #14x. Will not take the position at this time. @Young do you know if you are able to delay the process for the next go around of hiring notifications? 

Yes, get in contact with them and tell them that you want to defer employment. Your name will be taken off the list for a year. Within the year, you have to reinstate your name to get called back. You can take your name off and reinstate up to three times. After that, it's off for good.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:37 AM, SevenEleven said:

Your name will be taken off the list for a year. Within the year, you have to reinstate your name to get called back.

Hi, so your saying that if you don't reinstate your name within a year, your name will be removed permanently as well?

Hi everyone

I was notified as well to send paperwork by next Thursday my list is 2*

was wondering if they are hiring from three different lists doesn't it mess up seniority?

I am in the process to get my permit so I can continue for exam 7612 since I was notified to respond by Sept 4, and now I am being called for this exam 9604.

what should I do if I am being called for both exams?

thank you guys

1 hour ago, hh1a said:

I am in the process to get my permit so I can continue for exam 7612 since I was notified to respond by Sept 4, and now I am being called for this exam 9604.

what should I do if I am being called for both exams?

thank you guys

I would respond to both canvasses, see what happens and take it from there.

7 hours ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

I was notified as well to send paperwork by next Thursday my list is 2*

was wondering if they are hiring from three different lists doesn't it mess up seniority?

In my initial class of four, only one of us was hired off the previous TA exam (4600) so he has slightly more seniority than I. I scored the highest of the three remaining people (hired off 7612) so I have seniority over those classmates. That's how it'll work pretty much.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:37 AM, SevenEleven said:

Yes, get in contact with them and tell them that you want to defer employment. Your name will be taken off the list for a year. Within the year, you have to reinstate your name to get called back. You can take your name off and reinstate up to three times. After that, it's off for good.

thank you for that. I sent them an email to defer employment

3 hours ago, train1290 said:

what if you dont email them when they call you and you dont want the position at the given moment. What happens?

You have to keep in mind that this is a "Civil Service" position. Therefore, as per the "Civil Service" rules and regulations, the HR Department of NYC Transit will not only skip over your name, but your name will be removed from the list as well. As one of my "co-moderators" previously mentioned, you have one [1] calendar year to restore your name to the list. After the one [1] calendar year, your name will be permanently removed from the list.

(The reason why I put the term Civil Service in parenthesis is because, if you look at this post, after failing the 10-Day Bus Operator Training Session back in February of 2014, I have received multiple "1-in-3" letters for other titles, while this particular author used the term "bs" in his post, which, as we all know, represents the eight letter word spelled out.)

Edited by +Young+
Correction