B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, +Young+ said:

You have to keep in mind that this is a "Civil Service" position. Therefore, as per the "Civil Service" rules and regulations, the HR Department of NYC Transit will not only skip over your name, but your name will be removed from the list as well. As one of my "co-moderators" previously mentioned, you have one [1] calendar year to restore your name to the list. After the one [1] calendar year, your name will be permanently removed from the list.

(The reason why I put the term Civil Service in parenthesis is because, if you look at this post, after failing the 10-Day Bus Operator Training Session back in February of 2014, I have received multiple "1-in-3" letters for other titles, while this particular author used the term "bs" in his post, which, as we all know, represents the eight letter word spelled out.)

Ok, do you still get seniority preference once you restore your name back to the list? For example, lets say my list number is 500 and theyre up to 850, theyre getting ready to call 851, do i get the contact/phone call first or does 851 get it first?

3 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, do you still get seniority preference once you restore your name back to the list? For example, lets say my list number is 500 and theyre up to 850, theyre getting ready to call 851, do i get the contact/phone call first or does 851 get it first?

They are supposed to go in list order number, as per the "Civil Service" rules and regulations of the City of New York. However, between this and the latest Workers Compensation Fraud Case, which can be viewed here, here and here, who knows if the HR Department of NYC Transit is still following the "Civil Service" rules and regulations like they are supposed to.

• +Young+ changed the title to B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

After reading this thread I searched "MTA" in my email and saw I received the canvass email you guys got ... its 10/9 today and the deadline to reply was 10/8 ....

it said failure to reply meant getting taken off the list

Am I screwed? I don't even have my CDL permit yet, I have an appointment to get it next week...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the cdl b permit and i did not take a medical test.  I have an A3 - B - M -  P RESTRICTIONS  ON MY PERMIT. I am assuming when i go to the MTA  the A3 AND P restrictions will be removed. EI EXCEPT INTERSTATE <--- thats what i chose on my dmv application.

15 hours ago, Diceman225 said:

To take the cdl permit test in NY, when do we need to get the medical examiners certificate complete? do we have to get it done and bring it with us when going to dmv to take the permit exam? Thanks

It is optional. If you have it, great! If not, you will get the A3 restriction, like @misslo got. Either way, both are acceptable for MTA.

10 hours ago, misslo said:

I have the cdl b permit and i did not take a medical test.  I have an A3 - B - M -  P RESTRICTIONS  ON MY PERMIT. I am assuming when i go to the MTA  the A3 AND P restrictions will be removed. EI EXCEPT INTERSTATE <--- thats what i chose on my dmv application.

To clarify, when you take your road test, the "P" restriction will be removed, the "A3" and "B" restrictions will remain (click here and scroll to the second page for the full list of restrictions). The fact that you have a Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit) and the "M" restriction is beyond me, this only applies if you have taken your road test in both a tractor-trailer and a bus. Maybe you have the Motorcycle class and you got the letters mixed up?

As far as the driving types are concerned, click here and here for more information on that. I happen to have chosen "NI" and that is also acceptable, even for driving in-state, which is what I primarily do most of the time.

Edited by +Young+
Addition and Editing

On 10/6/2020 at 11:33 AM, Mtaguy86 said:

???

Possibly yes or no because more than 1000 can scored the same score as you . I scored 85% and my list number is 1xxx

Previous exam are not yet expired. It is a waiting game. keep doing your current job and patiently wait 

I have people ten years are still not called in 

jusr keep praying and you will get in.

my conductor exam I scored a 91 ( 45k took it ) I am 13xxx

Edited by mattfutureconductor5

On 10/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, Diceman225 said:

To take the cdl permit test in NY, when do we need to get the medical examiners certificate complete? do we have to get it done and bring it with us when going to dmv to take the permit exam? Thanks

The medical examination is only required if you self-certify as 'NI' (Non-Excepted Interstate) or 'NA' (Non-Excepted Intrastate) when applying for your CDL permit.  If you select 'EI' (Excepted Interstate) or 'EA' (Excepted Intrastate), you will not need to have the medical exam completed prior to taking the permit test and they will add the A3 restriction to your permit.

Good luck on the permit test - study the DMV Commercial Driver's Manual well. 

21 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

The medical examination is only required if you self-certify as 'NI' (Non-Excepted Interstate) or 'NA' (Non-Excepted Intrastate) when applying for your CDL permit.  If you select 'EI' (Excepted Interstate) or 'EA' (Excepted Intrastate), you will not need to have the medical exam completed prior to taking the permit test and they will add the A3 restriction to your permit.

Good luck on the permit test - study the DMV Commercial Driver's Manual well.

Thank you for clarifying this for me, I appreciate it.

23 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

my conductor exam I scored a 91 ( 45k took it ) I am 13xxx

Although we are supposed to stay "on-topic" as per the guidelines of the website, I also took this exam, got a 95% and my list number is 4,700s/4,800s. In addition, I have a friend who got the same score and his list number is 4,5**. Therefore, just have patience and you will eventually get called.

23 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

I am getting my permit this Tuesday . Hopefully passed it , I failed last time .

I still have time , since they didn’t call people in yet!

Offhand, did you read the announcement at the top of this page? A particular which helped me not only pass the necessary examinations for my Commercial Learners Permit (CLP), but for most of the endorsements as well is cristcdl.com. Best of all, this website is free! I know we have different ways of learning and incorporating information, however I personally used index cards by putting the question on one side and the correct answer on the back. Between this and mixing the cards up, while keeping them in the same category, such as General Knowledge, Air Brake, Passenger, **School Bus**, etc., I was successfully able to pass all of my multiple-choice examinations. In addition, I used the index cards approximately 75 to 80% of my studying time, and I read the manual for the remaining 20 to 25% of my studying time.

**If you decide to just go for the Passenger Endorsement, and you successfully take your road test in a bus equipped with air brakes, if you wish to get the School Bus Endorsement later on, you will have to take another road test in another bus, which is another 2 1/2 hour road test later on in your life.**

Good luck!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the current update? I know with covid and everything it is confusing but I know my friends gf got called and her number was 403....I’m 10**....you think I should get called within the next year or two ?

Edited by +Young+
Identity purposes...

13 minutes ago, NMondi said:

Does anyone know the current update? I know with covid and everything it is confusing but I know my friends gf got called and her number was 403....I’m 10**....you think I should get called within the next year or two ?

First of all, in an effort to hide your identity, please do not reveal your exact list number. Since there are 3,431 names on this list, as an example, if your list number is 4,205, you can reveal your list number as 4,2**, or 4,2XX or simply "in the 4,200's."

As far as an update is concerned, everything is at a standstill. They are still working off of the prior list, B/O 7612. Once they are done with that list, then they will move on to this list.

With the fact that your list number is in the 1000's, as far as getting called within the next year - I would say "questionable." As far as getting called within the next two years, I would say "probably," however we'll see what happens as time progresses.

5 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

First of all, in an effort to hide your identity, please do not reveal your exact list number. Since there are 3,431 names on this list, as an example, if your list number is 4,205, you can reveal your list number as 4,2**, or 4,2XX or simply "in the 4,200's."

As far as an update is concerned, everything is at a standstill. They are still working off of the prior list, B/O 7612. Once they are done with that list, then they will move on to this list.

With the fact that your list number is in the 1000's, as far as getting called within the next year - I would say "questionable." As far as getting called within the next two years, I would say "probably," however we'll see what happens as time progresses.

Gotcha was just asking because my friend got called, well a text message to start her process a few months ago from My exam 9604. So if she’s in the 400s and I’m in the 1000s and they are calling from our exam just wondering when I would get a call to start my process. Again I know with covid going on but she got called from our exam 

27 minutes ago, NMondi said:

Gotcha was just asking because my friend got called, well a text message to start her process a few months ago...

I see. Unless they have changed things, your friend is aware that the pre-application paperwork, which can be found here, is only valid for 90 (ninety) calendar days, right? Therefore, providing your friend saved the PDF document, he/she will first have to update the document, including the new date, and re-submit the documentation. Therefore, just try not to get ahead of yourself. I know it's hard, however, from my perspective, just try not to.

Gotcha....yeah just figured if she got the text message...given her number and where mine is then I don’t think I’d have a long wait till I get that message. I’m assuming within a year in a half to two years. It was the message tell her to get her CDL permit and using this list to fill positions within the next few months 

7 minutes ago, NMondi said:

It was the message tell her to get her CDL permit and using this list to fill positions within the next few months 

I see...other people have received this message as well, and between the agency's financial conditions, COVID-19, etc., things can change in a "snap," including the hiring needs of the agency.

Therefore, while it is a good idea to go ahead and obtain your CLP (Commerical Learner's Permit) if you have not done so already, since you have to make an appointment to be able to take the actual multiple-choice exam at the local Department of Motor Vehicle (refer to the green announcement box at the top of the page for more information), depending on when your friend received the message, I would not be surprised if this was a "false" alarm, since things changed in a "snap."

However, like I previously said, we'll see what happens as time progresses. Only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...