B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

21 hours ago, NMondi said:

Ok I just saw the number and it says 968 but why does it say April 14, 2021 certification expiration. 968 from my number was 100 in change change but I know I’m only 600 numbers in change away so I don’t follow lol. Once again sorry 

The reason why is because a City agency has a limited amount of time to hire off of a "Civil Service" list. In this case, it is from the middle of March to the middle of April, especially when it comes to initially sending out the e-mail messages which contain the pre-employment paperwork (for those of you who are curious as far as what this contains, click here).

Good luck!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, NMondi said:

Ok but that doesn’t mean once April 14 comes that doesn’t mean they will stop calling after that date because the test is still active right ? 

From my understanding, after April 14th, if they want to continue to call candidates, they have to request a new "batch" or "group" of names from DCAS to do so, since this falls under the heading of "Civil Service." They might be doing things differently now, since they are no longer physically mailing out "invitation letters," as you can see below, however, we'll see what happens as time progresses. 

vague_old_invitation_letter.jpg

So after april 14th will they call from the exam 9618 list? theres no list for that exam yet if i remember, so they will go back to the previous lists before the list on this thread? iam juat confused from where does the new batch or group  come from? which list or where?

17 hours ago, TAnderson said:

So after april 14th will they call from the exam 9618 list? theres no list for that exam yet if i remember, so they will go back to the previous lists before the list on this thread? iam juat confused from where does the new batch or group  come from? which list or where?

If you type "Bus Operator" into the search box of the Civil Service List Certification webpage, which can be viewed here, after mid-April (give/take a few days), if the agency wishes to hire Bus Operators, they need to request a new "batch" or "group" of names from DCAS, since the current certification, and not the list, will expire. This particular list doesn't expire until November of 2023.

(If you folks want to see all of the Certifications going back to 2017, click here.)

I want to also remind you folks that these examinations fall under the heading of "Civil Service." Therefore, if anyone on the 4600 or 7612 list wishes to restore their name, they have each and every right to do so, and they will have priority over the folks waiting to be called off of this list, since your list number remains the same. In addition, the lists for 4600 and 7612 were published before this one, respectively.

Stay safe and healthy!!

I called the MTA exam number. they said they just had 199 in their last class. They don’t know what the latest number physically called. I said I heard it was 500 in change so if my number is 11** it’s pretty much not if but when I get called to start my process he said yes. 

1 hour ago, NMondi said:

I called the MTA exam number. they said they just had 199 in their last class. They don’t know what the latest number physically called. I said I heard it was 500 in change so if my number is 11** it’s pretty much not if but when I get called to start my process he said yes. 

Which number did you call because my number is in the 200. I did the canvass application but haven't received any additional info...That was months ago

19 hours ago, James dean said:

Which number did you call because my number is in the 200. I did the canvass application but haven't received any additional info...That was months ago

If you are not successful with their "Employment Operations" phone numbers (347-643-8229/30/31/32), have you tried reaching out to the "higher ups," whose information can be viewed here?

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 9:38 AM, +Young+ said:

If you are not successful with their "Employment Operations" phone numbers (347-643-8229/30/31/32), have you tried reaching out to the "higher ups," whose information can be viewed here?

Good luck!!

Thanks.. I recieved an email to do a 2nd canvass application two weeks ago.. idk why I had to do it over, but I did.. hopefully this time I will get called down for my medical.

23 hours ago, James dean said:

Thanks.. I recieved an email to do a 2nd canvass application two weeks ago.. idk why I had to do it over, but I did.. hopefully this time I will get called down for my medical.

You're welcome! Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

I just got the canvass email this week. List #43x. 

My question is, on the email it says for NJ/PA/CT must have full CDL? I haven’t completed my full CDL. I have an appt next week for the permit.  Do I just need it by the time of appointment or I need it to submit application?

2 hours ago, Jonny Stoof said:

My question is, on the email it says for NJ/PA/CT must have full CDL? I haven’t completed my full CDL. I have an appt next week for the permit.  Do I just need it by the time of appointment or I need it to submit application?

You will need at least your permit. 

4 hours ago, Jonny Stoof said:

If you have out state license nj/ct/pa you need the license they won't accept you with the permit thats what it means.you need it to proceed in the pre-employment 

If I don't have my permit by the time I receive the canvass email, is there anything I can do? I received the correspondence of passing the exam and list number AFTER the canvass email.  It appears that correspondence should have arrived first as it suggested getting the permit. 

My list number for exam 9604 is 7*

Realized I wasn't eligible to proceed due to my license not being two years old yet (turns 2 years old middle of July). 

My question is, when I decide to put myself back on the list in September, am I automatically bumped to the top or what? List number is in the 70s but lets say they're in the 1000s, what happens to me? 

Also, does anyone know if the drug test is hair or urine? Another city agency was urine but I'm sure the DOT is doing hair. Anyone knows for sure? 

Gotcha….I’m lost number 10**….hoping to hear from them around fall or spring. I heard the last hired person was around 100 something but they stopped calling around 500 in change. I have my CDL already so just waiting to get called 

On 6/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, JB41418 said:

If I don't have my permit by the time I receive the canvass email, is there anything I can do? I received the correspondence of passing the exam and list number AFTER the canvass email.  It appears that correspondence should have arrived first as it suggested getting the permit. 

For now, you can simply decline the offer. Once you get the permit, even if it's the temporary one that they initially give you, you can restore your name to the list (refer to the green announcement box at the top of this webpage for instructions on how to do this). Just note that you can renew your permit in 6 months without taking any of the multiple-choice examinations, however if you need to renew your permit a year from when you obtain it, you will have to take the multiple-choice examinations over again.

22 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Realized I wasn't eligible to proceed due to my license not being two years old yet (turns 2 years old middle of July).

My question is, when I decide to put myself back on the list in September, am I automatically bumped to the top or what? List number is in the 70s but lets say they're in the 1000s, what happens to me?

Also, does anyone know if the drug test is hair or urine? Another city agency was urine but I'm sure the DOT is doing hair. Anyone knows for sure?

Since this is a "Civil Service" position, your list number remains the same. As a perfect example, if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box of the Civil Service List Certification webpage, you will see that, for the March 19th Certification, those who restored their name to the list for the B/O 4600 list received first priority, since that list is the oldest. Next, the people who restored their name to the B/O 7612 list received second priority, followed by the people who restored their name to this list, before they started calling the people in consecutive order for the first time (200, 201, 202, 203, etc.)

Therefore, you are "somewhat" bumped to the top of the list, however it depends on who else restored their name to the list, especially those from the other two lists and/or examinations.

The drug test is done via urine.

Good luck everyone!!

Edited by +Young+

• 2 weeks later...

I received an email to fill out my application and attach my permit and driving records. My permit is not ready due to finding a later date for the test at the DMV (I was surprised by this called letting me know that I passed). Can I submit the application with my license and submit my CLP later in the week? There was a deadline included in the email but I don't want to miss it even though my permit is not ready.