B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

I got there at 11:45 for my 12:30 they took my ID and something for me to fill out. Said go have lunch downstairs come back at 12:30. Went back up waiting maybe 15 minutes they called me looked all over my paper work. Told me as long as I don’t have any active tickets that section didn’t have to be filled out. Had to mark down I resigned from my previous jobs then went to go take the drug test. After that I spoke to some guy as I left who said I was all done and they would be emailing me within 3-90 days for the next steps. Im assuming he meant 30-90 lol. I was out by 1:30 not too bad 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, NMondi said:

I got there at 11:45 for my 12:30 they took my ID and something for me to fill out. Said go have lunch downstairs come back at 12:30. Went back up waiting maybe 15 minutes they called me looked all over my paper work. Told me as long as I don’t have any active tickets that section didn’t have to be filled out. Had to mark down I resigned from my previous jobs then went to go take the drug test. After that I spoke to some guy as I left who said I was all done and they would be emailing me within 3-90 days for the next steps. Im assuming he meant 30-90 lol. I was out by 1:30 not too bad 

No. It’s 3-90 days. You should hear something soon. As soon the the drug test clears. After 90 days the drug test expires that’s why they say 3-90

11 minutes ago, NMondi said:

@lornaevo Ahhhh. And as far as my past driving tickets all they said was do I have anything active 

Im going down there this coming up monday, i already emailed them that i got their email and ill be coming down. Now question, do I have to email them my CDL, my social security card, and birth certificate? and if so, to who? Thanks in advance!

10 hours ago, Lourdetrailor said:

Thank you! Also, is the email to send docs is employmentcenterbuses@nyct.com? Or email the person who send the invitation? 

I would send it to both to be on the safe side, however that's just me.

8 hours ago, train1290 said:

I emailed the sender of the email +Young+ to confirm ill be there this coming up Monday. So who do we email the pre employment documents to?

I would e-mail both employmentcenterbuses@nyct.com and the person who sent the invitation, however that's just me.

6 hours ago, train1290 said:

Im going down there this coming up monday, i already emailed them that i got their email and ill be coming down. Now question, do I have to email them my CDL, my social security card, and birth certificate? and if so, to who? Thanks in advance!

If you already e-mailed them once, there should be no need to e-mail them a second time.

9 hours ago, Evowl03 said:

Same thing happened to me, they put me on medical hold for something that I knew I didn’t have. I cleared the medical hold 5 days before my class started and the person who invited me to 180 Livingston nor the employment center staff ever replied to my emails or answered my phone calls to make the appointment to go and take the paperwork before my class starting date. Suddenly 4 days after my class started Nov.8 they replied made the appointment after I finished doing everything it was completely silence from them going back to not answering again at last after two weeks the person who invited me said there were no more class until January and I would be call then… time passed until April me calling repeatedly I received the pre-employment application again I sent it back not response, appointment or anything I keep calling and investigating what is going on. A Good Samaritan inside the staff told me to email employment center again and explain everything to them and after 3 days I emailed them they replied saying my name was out of the list since Nov. due to the medical hold and to email DCAS to restore my name which I did and now when I called again to see what’s going on now that my name is restored they said you have to do everything all over again because the 90 days passed. Remind you I’m on the 200’s and I know people in the 500’s already finishing line training.

It is unfortunate what they’re doing and the communications are terrible. I never knew I was out of the list until now because that person never informed me about it nor instructed me to refer to DCAS for restoration of name in such a long period of times where so many classes had begun.

I just sent you a Private Message (PM) in regards to this. If you can send me a reply, I would truly appreciate it.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, mattfutureconductor5 said:

After pre screening, how long is the wait to go into mini training and then road test?  I want to go find a job and practice driving a  bus , currently an Amazon Walker and  custodian. I have been jumping to jobs  to jobs sadly. I have never driven a bus before.

If I were you, at this point I wouldn't bother trying to get a bus driving job somewhere else. Doing some quickie training at another company may result in poor instruction that can lead to bad habits. Go to the TA training class, pay attention to the instructors and drive to the best of your ability.  Lots of people enter transit bus training never having driven anything bigger than a car or SUV. 

And if you pass the 10-day course, be prepared to seriously study for the road test. There is a *lot* you have to learn to successfully pass the pre-trip inspection, never mind the road test itself. Find some fellow students and quiz each other during break times, etc. Create flash cards and have a family member or friend quiz you until you can get them all correct.  There is a ton of information that you will have to memorize and recite to the DMV examiner and be able to do it confidently so he or she is convinced that you know what you are talking about. 

Edited by RailBus63

1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

If I were you, at this point I wouldn't bother trying to get a bus driving job somewhere else. Doing some quickie training at another company may result in poor instruction that can lead to bad habits. Go to the TA training class, pay attention to the instructors and drive to the best of your ability.  Lots of people enter transit bus training never having driven anything bigger than a car or SUV.

I tried doing this in 2014 when I haven't driven anything bigger than a car, and for me, it was overwhelming. Therefore, although I agree with what @RailBus63 is saying, depending on how much time and money you have to spend, even if you get a lesson or two in a big bus at a local driving school or two, preferably with two different instructors, this will be "something better than nothing," especially when it comes to the little bit of experience you need for this, without developing any bad driving habits.

Everyone I've asked have said it's best to just let the MTA train you for free (while still being paid by the MTA). But when it comes to the pre trip inspection, how come it's a bad idea to start studying beforehand? 

Everyone says to focus on the driving aspect, but wouldn't it make sense to learn the Pre Trip as soon as you can? 

I'm currently off the list and will keep my name off the list for another month or so. I am confident in passing the driving but not so confident in the pre trip, I feel it would be in my best interest to master this earlier than later, no?

13 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

And if you pass the 10-day course, be prepared to seriously study for the road test. There is a *lot* you have to learn to successfully pass the pre-trip inspection, never mind the road test itself. Find some fellow students and quiz each other during break times, etc. Create flash cards and have a family member or friend quiz you until you can get them all correct.  There is a ton of information that you will have to memorize and recite to the DMV examiner and be able to do it confidently so he or she is convinced that you know what you are talking about. 

That true but I got too much Free Time I want to get my road test in earlier and only do qualifications because I go to school online all online. ..(college). I got one more Year

Edited by mattfutureconductor5

12 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

That true but I got too much Free Time I want to get my road test in earlier and only do qualifications because I go to school online all online. ..(college). I got one more Year

Not a bad idea. do it while you can before you get called, if you can.

Hi guys, so I went to the pre employment this morning for my appointment, got there at 7:30A.M. filled out some paperwork, i had my day 1 title papers completed before I got there. After, i did my drug test outside in the little RV camper parked in the street. So i was only there for 4 hrs, told me they'll call me 3-90 days.

@+Young+ I’m probably starting training on August 15th, I have MY wedding and honeymoon in November previously planned, I shouldn’t have an issue with that right as long as I show documentation it was planned before I started any training. I was told they might just add those days into my probationary period, they can’t tell me I can’t get married or go on my honeymoon as long as I got It documented right ?

4 hours ago, NMondi said:

@+Young+ I’m probably starting training on August 15th, I have MY wedding and honeymoon in November previously planned, I shouldn’t have an issue with that right as long as I show documentation it was planned before I started any training. I was told they might just add those days into my probationary period, they can’t tell me I can’t get married or go on my honeymoon as long as I got It documented right ?

They will definitely add those days into your probationary period, now whether you can get married and go on your honeymoon or not during probation is another story in itself...

@+Young+ yeah I can’t see them saying umm you can’t go in your honeymoon if I got documentation that or you gotta push your wedding back till a day you’re off lol. I think as long a I show documentation showing wedding and honeymoon booked before I ever went in for pre employment I should be fine 

2 hours ago, NMondi said:

If you’ve made it to phase 2 is there a way you can have them put you back on the list if the timing now isn’t right for you? If so who do you contact ?

There was phone number on that email. 347-643-8223. She answered first call for me . Other people say it is a hard time reaching them. .  

21 hours ago, train1290 said:

Hi guys, so I went to the pre employment this morning for my appointment, got there at 7:30A.M. filled out some paperwork, i had my day 1 title papers completed before I got there. After, i did my drug test outside in the little RV camper parked in the street. So i was only there for 4 hrs, told me they'll call me 3-90 days.

They  sent me less than Three day only. IF you don't smoke or do drugs, it should be quicker,  KEEP CHECKING EMAIL.  . You can still make it Aug 15 class or  the next class after . All I can say they are moving FAST 

My class is Aug 15

I will  miss the second phase.  I call and she instructed me what to  do. I send email already to the person who sent me the Aug 4 date . Now waiting for an response  from that man.

Will that delayed my training date or can still stay the same..

Edited by mattfutureconductor5

19 hours ago, NMondi said:

Talk to your union stewards when you get out of line training. They will work to accommodate you. Any days that you take off unpaid, will have to be made up on the back end of your probation.

20 hours ago, Lourdetrailor said:

Does anybody know what is the current starting rate? I notice the rates have changed since the original notice was posted. In the original notice the stating rate was $23.84 but when i go in the open data (civil test) website I see 3 hrly rates 23.85, 24.87, and 25.49. Just curious! 

It is $23.84/hr if you are working out of an ATU depot (Staten Island and TA Queens) & $26.20/hr out of a TWU depot.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Talk to your union stewards when you get out of line training. They will work to accommodate you. Any days that you take off unpaid, will have to be made up on the back end of your probation.

It is $23.84/hr if you are working out of an ATU depot (Staten Island and TA Queens) & $26.20/hr out of a TWU depot.

Any reason for the difference? Will those of us on this list (9604) get placed in both depots? 

End of the year with all else being equal, that's a $5k difference and that's huge. 

Do ATU eventually catch up or is top pay slightly different as well?