B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

Yeah but head up there early to get a good spot. It's all of Zerega, Sanitation, the school bus company and the local businesses taking up parking.

Alright, I have to be there at 7A.M. What time should I be there to get a parking spot? 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

430am, if you want a premium spot, by 5-530am every spot gets filled, it’s street parking, the school bus companies take up every spot, but luckly it’s the summer, so maybe you’d be good by 530ish. If it’s alt side days it’s worse. They want you in the classroom by 7am, there strict, they don’t play, exp on day zero. Good luck. If don’t wanna get there early take public transportation 

9 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Hi, so what goes on when I report to Zerega? Will I start training on the bus? Driving it, making turns, etc?

More HR Paperwork and 19A related stuff with the Training and Safety superintendent. At the end of the day, they will tell you the depot you have to report to for the 7 days training. Your training starts the next day with an Instructor at the depot you are assigned to for initial training. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Operator said:

More HR Paperwork and 19A related stuff with the Training and Safety superintendent. At the end of the day, they will tell you the depot you have to report to for the 7 days training. Your training starts the next day with an Instructor at the depot you are assigned to for initial training. 

Ok, so the training is only 7 days? I thought it was 10 days?

39 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Ok, so the training is only 7 days? I thought it was 10 days?

Training is a total of 6 weeks:

Day 1 - 7 is the first-round qualification. From day 1 to 5 is instruction teaching. Day 6 is Pre-Qualification. You must do good on day 6 to qualify for day 7. On day 7 if you do good, you’re officially qualified from the first initial qualification round and move forward learning other type of buses. If you fail day 6 and/or 7, you will have to go to day 8 and 9 with another Supt instructor at another depot. 

Day 8 is instruction learning

Day 9 is Qualification day. If you pass, you move forward with the others that Qualified on day 7 and learn other type of buses. If you failed day 9, you will get one more chance by going to day 10.

Day 10 is qualification testing but this time back at Zerega with 2 Supt Instructor on the bus determining whether or not you will move forward or get disqualified.

By now all who has been qualified for the job will move forward. Your next training will be on day 14 at the depot you pick or forced to go based on seniority order within your class to learn the routes with a senior operator at the depot you will be working for the next 2/3 weeks until you graduate. Oh by the way it's called “Line Training”. After you successfully complete line training, You will go back to Zerega for graduation and you will receive a certificate and a bus operator badge. Once you receive a badge, you are officially a Probie and will be operating a bus on your own within the depot you line trained out of.  You will be on probation for one year. The probation starts from the day you was appointed which is the day you first attended Zerega. 

14 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Day 1 - 7 is the first-round qualification. From day 1 to 5 is instruction teaching. Day 6 is Pre-Qualification. You must do good on day 6 to qualify for day 7. On day 7 if you do good, you’re officially qualified from the first initial qualification round and move forward learning other type of buses. If you fail day 6 and/or 7, you will have to go to day 8 and 9 with another Supt instructor at another depot. 

Day 9 is Qualification day. If you pass, you move forward with the others that Qualified on day 7 and learn other type of buses. If you failed day 9, you will get one more chance by going to day 10.

Day 10 is qualification testing but this time back at Zerega with 2 Supt Instructor on the bus determining whether or not you will move forward or get disqualified.

By now all who has been qualified for the job will move forward. Your next training will be on day 14 at the depot you pick or forced to go based on seniority order within your class to learn the routes with a senior operator at the depot you will be working for the next 2/3 weeks until you graduate. Oh by the way it's called “Line Training”. After you successfully complete line training, You will go back to Zerega for graduation and you will receive a certificate and a bus operator badge. Once you receive a badge, you are officially a Probie and will be operating a bus on your own within the depot you line trained out of.  You will be on probation for one year. The probation starts from the day you was appointed which is the day you first attended Zerega. 

Seniority order within a class is determined how? By list number?

4 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

Seniority order within a class is determined how? By list number?

Affirmative.......Whoever has the lowest list number within that class will have higher seniority within the class group for the rest of their career unless they get promoted. For instance, I have a lower list number than you, I will pick or do anything when it comes to seniority rank before you do. Within our class it will remain that way until one of us either depart from the graduating class. And this goes for the same way for the entire system. When you come on board, whoever has a month to year(s)on the job will have higher seniority than you.

Does anyone know the cost to renew a CDL permit at the DMV? Been searching high and wide but can't find the info

Also if I schedule an appointment to go in for the school bus endorsement, once I'm inside will they allow me to handle other things such as renewing my license or am I strictly allowed to just take the test and then leave?

Edited by KDGallagher

4 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Does anyone know the cost to renew a CDL permit at the DMV? Been searching high and wide but can't find the info

Also if I schedule an appointment to go in for the school bus endorsement, once I'm inside will they allow me to handle other things such as renewing my license or am I strictly allowed to just take the test and then leave?

As far as how much it cost to renew a permit, if I had to take an educated guess, it will probably be a normal transaction fee ($12.50) plus the fees for each and every multiple choice test ($5.00 for each one) if you have to retake them.

As far as the second question, if I had to take an educated guess, it probably depends on how busy they are. Although I am not going to the DMV tomorrow, I just played around with this website and there are still appointments available at the three closest DMV locations to my residence in Queens.

Good luck!!

5 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

You can schedule an appointment and take care of everything there. But I went to the DMV in manhattan on 31st street across from the big post office and Morgan P&DC (post office).

I schedule for my CDL permit test and renewed my DL right then an there. Just fill out the forms and have your passport, birth certificate, phone bill etc. The permit test is $10 for everything, (general knowledge and other endorsement test if taken on the same day) $5 each if you take them separately.

21 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Ok, So after qualifying on either Day 7, 9, or 10.....Is there any other thing after those three days that we must do? Is there any qualification day during Line Training? BTW, I have my CDL License so I dont have to do the road test.

8 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Affirmative.......Whoever has the lowest list number within that class will have higher seniority within the class group for the rest of their career unless they get promoted. For instance, I have a lower list number than you, I will pick or do anything when it comes to seniority rank before you do. Within our class it will remain that way until one of us either depart from the graduating class. And this goes for the same way for the entire system. When you come on board, whoever has a month to year(s)on the job will have higher seniority than you.

Hi,

my friend was a probationary TA Bus Operator who resigned like 7 months ago and would like to be rehired, do you know if she still keeps her seniority?

and will she be able to return to the Depot she picked for her line training?

Thank You

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

Ok, So after qualifying on either Day 7, 9, or 10.....Is there any other thing after those three days that we must do? Is there any qualification day during Line Training? BTW, I have my CDL License so I dont have to do the road test.

After you qualify, you start equipment training and attend more classrooms at Zerega. You also attend union hall day, where they try to upsell you tons of stuff. Just say no. During line training there is no “qualification day” however each line trainer does complete an evaluation sheet on your performance. After to qualify you’re pretty much set as long as you keep doing as trained. Two hands on the wheel, don’t run lights, no speed trap tickets, etc. 

17 minutes ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

has anyone been told that you must be vaccinated in order to continue the hiring process for this title?

If yes, did they say that you can request an exemption?

Thank You

Um, well I'm not vaccinated, and I did my medical and final processing this past friday and they gave me a slip that asks if you if you either been vaccinated, or not, or not for religious beliefs. I selected no and when the doctor asked me about it I said if its mandatory ill do it, im not going to due to my religious beliefs. The doctor said that he feels its going to be mandatory in the future. Who knows if theyll require it, but governer cuomo said that starting labor day, you either have to have it or get tested and have a negative result every week. hopefully this answers your question.

22 minutes ago, hh1a said:

Hi,

my friend was a probationary TA Bus Operator who resigned like 7 months ago and would like to be rehired, do you know if she still keeps her seniority?

and will she be able to return to the Depot she picked for her line training?

Thank You

Normally, you can resign and return back within a year and still keep your seniority. Being back at the same depot will be up to management. Now since your friend was still on probation, she will need to contact Zerega for further information. She technically still belong to “Zerega” since she didn't finish probation.

8 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Um, well I'm not vaccinated, and I did my medical and final processing this past friday and they gave me a slip that asks if you if you either been vaccinated, or not, or not for religious beliefs. I selected no and when the doctor asked me about it I said if its mandatory ill do it, im not going to due to my religious beliefs. The doctor said that he feels its going to be mandatory in the future. Who knows if theyll require it, but governer cuomo said that starting labor day, you either have to have it or get tested and have a negative result every week. hopefully this answers your question.

31 minutes ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

has anyone been told that you must be vaccinated in order to continue the hiring process for this title?

If yes, did they say that you can request an exemption?

Thank You

Starting September, all MTA employees will be required to either be vaccinated or have to take a weekly Covid test. 

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Normally, you can resign and return back within a year and still keep your seniority. Being back at the same depot will be up to management. Now since your friend was still on probation, she will need to contact Zerega for further information. She technically still belong to “Zerega” since she didn't finish probation.

If you do resign, do you have to do all over the 10 day training program, medical, and drug test?