B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

6 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Now, as far as Line Training is concerned, is there any exams you have to pass or just listen and observe and do as told by the Senior bus operator? 

While line training, you will be out there in real life situations like you was during the 10 day. So the idea is to listen and learn but also be on your game because supervision can still hop on your bus and give you an undercover ride.

8 hours ago, train1290 said:

Will we have a set schedule in the beginning during Line training, Like for example, monday to friday: 8am-4pm? Arent we off on saturday and sunday during Line Training?

You will be matched up with a line trainer everyday, just like @Flatbush Operatormentioned. If your line trainer has a run that comes in at 3am, you will be there too. So this will pretty much be the equivalent of working the XL. YOu will have the weekends off unless a TA holiday falls during the week. In that case, you will have the holiday off and will have to come in on either day. You will be notified of your schedule changes.

Staten Island line training goes like this. You will rotate between 3 depots (not Meredith) for 3-4 weeks doing local line training. For 2-3 weeks after that, you will do express bus line training, which will include the routes from Meredith and the S89. At some point, you will do shifter training and express bus equipment training. When they cut you loose, you will pick depots (if possible) and you will be on the list until the next pick.

How about after qualifying during the 10 day training, will we have the same time to report everyday? I.E. 8am-4pm?

Your schedule will vary depending on where and what you're doing. You will be advised on what time to report, but it will be AMs, until you get to line training.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Now, as far as Line Training is concerned, is there any exams you have to pass or just listen and observe and do as told by the Senior bus operator? 

While line training, you will be out there in real life situations like you was during the 10 day. So the idea is to listen and learn but also be on your game because supervision can still hop on your bus and give you an undercover ride.

8 hours ago, train1290 said:

Will we have a set schedule in the beginning during Line training, Like for example, monday to friday: 8am-4pm? Arent we off on saturday and sunday during Line Training?

You will be matched up with a line trainer everyday, just like @Flatbush Operatormentioned. If your line trainer has a run that comes in at 3am, you will be there too. So this will pretty much be the equivalent of working the XL. YOu will have the weekends off unless a TA holiday falls during the week. In that case, you will have the holiday off and will have to come in on either day. You will be notified of your schedule changes.

Staten Island line training goes like this. You will rotate between 3 depots (not Meredith) for 3-4 weeks doing local line training. For 2-3 weeks after that, you will do express bus line training, which will include the routes from Meredith and the S89. At some point, you will do shifter training and express bus equipment training. When they cut you loose, you will pick depots (if possible) and you will be on the list until the next pick.

How about after qualifying during the 10 day training, will we have the same time to report everyday? I.E. 8am-4pm?

Your schedule will vary depending on where and what you're doing. You will be advised on what time to report, but it will be AMs, until you get to line training.

I went to 180 Livingston on July 28th. Silly me I didn’t have my CDL B permit. He told me to get the permit and email for a new appointment. I went and passed my permit and immediately emailed for a new appointment. I haven’t heard anything back from the emails I sent. Does anyone know what I should do next? Can I go to 180 without an appointment?

22 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

The line trainer operator is just your instructor for the route. He/She will give you feedback and teach you more about the route and driving tips.

No more testing until your next birthday. Every birthday year, you have to be 19A recertified. Depending which borough you’re in, you have to attend to either Zerega, Spring Creek or ((Jackie Gleason/East NY for Brooklyn Operators)). You watch safety videos, get behind the wheel with a 19A dispatcher, and after take a 15 question 19A CDL DMV written test. It's not hard and no you won’t lose your job if you fail the written test. If you fail, you have to come back the next day to retake the short written exam.

Ok, Thanks for clearing that up? How about Day 7, do we take 19A qualification test that day? If so, if we fail what happens? Do we not qualify on day 7, even if we drive good that day along with day 6?

You can make mistakes up to day 5, because they are teaching days, day 6 has to be perfect for you to have a chance to pass on day 7. If you have day 6 and day 7 perfect you will qualify. If you don’t qualify it’s ok don’t stress it. You will go to day 8 and 9 with a different instructor in a different depot. Day 8 is a teaching day & day 9 is a chance for you to qualify, it is a testing day. If you don’t pass day 9 you have one more chance at day 10 at zegera, with 2 supts, one standing in the front & the other standing by the back door. You will drive in the Bronx only. Streets and on the highway. Listen to the instructor & try to the best of your ability, have a good night sleep the night before. You will be qualifying on the hybrids,… 4000 series buses with 2 mirrors on the right side, you’ll be alright. 

do you have your cdl already will you take the road test in the Bronx? I heard now the test involves pointing out engine and brake parts. I would have no idea where any of that is lol…. Good luck to everyone, it’s a good job 

2 minutes ago, ActionMike said:

You can make mistakes up to day 5, because they are teaching days, day 6 has to be perfect for you to have a chance to pass on day 7. If you have day 6 and day 7 perfect you will qualify. If you don’t qualify it’s ok don’t stress it. You will go to day 8 and 9 with a different instructor in a different depot. Day 8 is a teaching day & day 9 is a chance for you to qualify, it is a testing day. If you don’t pass day 9 you have one more chance at day 10 at zegera, with 2 supts, one standing in the front & the other standing by the back door. You will drive in the Bronx only. Streets and on the highway. Listen to the instructor & try to the best of your ability, have a good night sleep the night before. You will be qualifying on the hybrids,… 4000 series buses with 2 mirrors on the right side, you’ll be alright. 

do you have your cdl already will you take the road test in the Bronx? I heard now the test involves pointing out engine and brake parts. I would have no idea where any of that is lol…. Good luck to everyone, it’s a good job 

I already got my CDL Class B License with Passanger Endorsement. So I just have to pass the 10 Day training program and be good for 1 year and ill be fine and good to go!

What do we have to do on Day 7 besides, calling things out, honking when passing a bicyclist, or we shouldnt pass a bicyclist? I know to call them out but should we honk the horn to acknowledge that we see them in the road and we are monitoring them? Let me know. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, train1290 said:

I already got my CDL Class B License with Passanger Endorsement. So I just have to pass the 10 Day training program and be good for 1 year and ill be fine and good to go!

What do we have to do on Day 7 besides, calling things out, honking when passing a bicyclist, or we shouldnt pass a bicyclist? I know to call them out but should we honk the horn to acknowledge that we see them in the road and we are monitoring them? Let me know. Thank you!

Slow down or stop to let a bike pass you. You’re better off behind them when you’re trying to qualify 

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, Thanks for clearing that up? How about Day 7, do we take 19A qualification test that day? If so, if we fail what happens? Do we not qualify on day 7, even if we drive good that day along with day 6?

You will do the 19A written exam before Day 7. It's an open book test, so don't stress it. You just need to know certain specifics (which is in the material) but the rest really is common sense.

And by "drive good", that means don't give your supt a reason to DQ you. Your Day 7 is the culmination of everything that you learned and have been scolded about throughout the week. If you're making the same mistakes that you were making on Days 2-5, then it's not driving good in their eyes. 

1 hour ago, Biggington said:

Slow down or stop to let a bike pass you. You’re better off behind them when you’re trying to qualify 

They don't want you moving slowly with a bike anymore. You have to stop or move away to get them out of your 4 feet. 

31 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

You will do the 19A written exam before Day 7. It's an open book test, so don't stress it. You just need to know certain specifics (which is in the material) but the rest really is common sense.

And by "drive good", that means don't give your supt a reason to DQ you. Your Day 7 is the culmination of everything that you learned and have been scolded about throughout the week. If you're making the same mistakes that you were making on Days 2-5, then it's not driving good in their eyes. 

They don't want you moving slowly with a bike anymore. You have to stop or move away to get them out of your 4 feet. 

Ok, which material is this that you're talking about?

10 hours ago, train1290 said:

Since you got your cdl that’s one less thing to worry about, just do your best to qualify 

On 8/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, KDGallagher said:

How is the turnover for this position? 

Around how many years into the job are you able to pick from the more desired runs? By year 3? Year 7? Year 15? 

Any of you current B/Os, are there any other civil service jobs you'd leave TA for? For example Firefighter, Suffolk County police, etc 

Seniority varies by depot. I'm almost 2.5 years in and I'm able to see a few Thursday/Friday runs over here at Gleason, but still nothing really desirable. 5 years in I would say you have a good shot at picking something decent. 

I recently got contacted for an exam I took well before I went with Transit for motor vehicle operator but the pay is nowhere near as good as what I'm getting now unfortunately. Don't think I would change up that quickly.

42 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Seniority varies by depot. I'm almost 2.5 years in and I'm able to see a few Thursday/Friday runs over here at Gleason, but still nothing really desirable. 5 years in I would say you have a good shot at picking something decent. 

I recently got contacted for an exam I took well before I went with Transit for motor vehicle operator but the pay is nowhere near as good as what I'm getting now unfortunately. Don't think I would change up that quickly.

How many operators are usually assigned to a bus route? 

And how exactly are you picking a run? From highest seniority to lowest, do they just go around with a list of bus routes, report/clear times, and days off and just allow you to pick what u want? How many slots for each run are there? For example how many people in your depot have a 7 am report, S/S off for the B4 bus route? Once 1 person pick it is it done and then crossed off and the next closest is 7:05 report, crossed off then on to 7:15 report .... all the way until all thats left is 2 pm report, Wednesday and Thursday off?

2 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

And how exactly are you picking a run? From highest seniority to lowest, do they just go around with a list of bus routes, report/clear times, and days off and just allow you to pick what u want? How many slots for each run are there? For example how many people in your depot have a 7 am report, S/S off for the B4 bus route? Once 1 person pick it is it done and then crossed off and the next closest is 7:05 report, crossed off then on to 7:15 report .... all the way until all thats left is 2 pm report, Wednesday and Thursday off?

Great question. So how many buses are assigned to a route depends on how busy that route is. But there is one bus per run. So there should only be one 7am bus on the B4, there could be a 6:55 and 7:05. Depends on the headway. All available runs are usually posted on the pick board in the swing room (at my depot) and operators are free to look at it and make their decision. When it’s your turn to pick you go to the pick  room or they call you for your choice. 

22 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

All the runs are listed on the board and they go down the list in seniority order. Once a run a picked, it's gone and the next person gets their choice. Each route has a set number of runs and work runs are determined by the number of runs that do not have Saturday/Sunday off. You work the days off of that run and several others during the week when that operator has off. Runs aren't picked in any order, it's all personal choice. 

On 8/13/2021 at 12:54 AM, Jonny Stoof said:

Thanks, I will try to reach out to them tomorrow. 

im not seeing what you’re talking about on dcas. I pulled it up but which column shows which list # they’re on?

It's the second column from the left. Just scroll down until the exam number is "09604." Why they use a five-digit code for the exam numbers on that particular website, I don't know.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:19 PM, train1290 said:

If you initially "fail," the Superintendent/Instructor will tell you which questions you missed and will tell you to simply "try again." When you get a passing score, you will probably and most likely be given a second copy of the same examination to transpose your correct and up to three incorrect questions, and that will do it. If you've ever been 19-A Certified before, it's very similar to what these private bus companies do in order to meet this requirement.

If you want to see the examination and/or questions for yourself, click here.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:14 PM, ActionMike said:

I heard now the test involves pointing out engine and brake parts. I would have no idea where any of that is lol…. Good luck to everyone, it’s a good job 

If you need help locating these things on the agency's Orion Buses, which primarily consist of the 4000 series, click here. For a School Bus, just play around with YouTube. There's ton of videos on there, especially since this is now a Federal requirement.

Edited by +Young+
Clarification

14 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

The initial 10-Day Training Session will be on the Orion buses (4000 series), which can be seen in the videos in this thread/topic.

Thank you. 

Been exhausting those videos, thank you for posting them on your channel, memorized the ALSAPS test and starting to take notes on the wrap around and gauges. 

27 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

Thank you.

Been exhausting those videos, thank you for posting them on your channel, memorized the ALSAPS test and starting to take notes on the wrap around and gauges. 

You're welcome!

Good luck!

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

It's the second column from the left. Just scroll down until the exam number is "09604." Why they use a five-digit code for the exam numbers on that particular website, I don't know.

Yeah I know how to view the list. Which column shows what # has been called??

Anyway, I spoke to Emma Rivera and apparently they passed me already because I don’t have my full CDL (NJ).  I was never even notified. But as soon as I’m done getting the CDL I can add myself back to the list. 

1 hour ago, Jonny Stoof said:

Yeah I know how to view the list. Which column shows what # has been called??

Anyway, I spoke to Emma Rivera and apparently they passed me already because I don’t have my full CDL (NJ).  I was never even notified. But as soon as I’m done getting the CDL I can add myself back to the list. 

What do you mean by "They passed me already because I don't have my full CDL(NJ)"? Do you currently have a CDL permit or no CDL at all? 

Hi guys, so I just came back from Zerega a little while ago. Mostly paperwork and instructions. So, I got Fresh Pond Depot, which lucky for me thats 10 mins away from my house and first they told me to see superintendant King. But then they said to report to superintendant Bosco. Anybody every have this superintendant?