B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Yes, upper Manhattan. Did you correct the drifting?

EL Pillars technique is very important and will be used most of  the times throughout your operating career. When you become shifter qualify you will see why EL pillars are important to know and understand how to maneuver especially when working at areas that has Pillars.

Yes I corrected the drifting, I, however was making a left turn and saw two cars coming towards me, one was already passing me on the left. once it passed me, I started to turn and start to go to the right. I figured since i was first in the intersection I had right of way, and the other car was not near me, it was half a block away. My instructor said no they have right of way because I was going left. Now is that the same for right turns too if you're waiting to turn right and are already in the intersection waiting to turn right and theres another vehicle coming in the opposite direction thats half a block away and is not inside the instersection do we have to stop and wait for them to go first? regardless if its a right or left turn?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also lets say you're driving and are starting to come up to a stale green light and the countdown has begun and you're not sure when its going to change to red. My instructor said that on day 6 and day 7 if you're not sure of the the traffic light you just let the instructor know that you're going to wait at the traffic light and wait it out becuase you're not sure of the stale light and you're going to stop to wait it out. Is that the right thing to do?

19 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Also lets say you're driving and are starting to come up to a stale green light and the countdown has begun and you're not sure when its going to change to red. My instructor said that on day 6 and day 7 if you're not sure of the the traffic light you just let the instructor know that you're going to wait at the traffic light and wait it out becuase you're not sure of the stale light and you're going to stop to wait it out. Is that the right thing to do?

As far as day 7 you won’t be doing parallel parking or straight back (well Atleast we didn’t in our class). You will be driving and making turns. Now it will be busy, Watch for construction workers, bicycles, pedestrians and other vehicles. Qualifying is a combination of day 6 and 7. So these two days have to be perfect. In regards to turning left, if you have to cross into someone else’s lane, then they have the right of way. So if you’re passing a doubles parked car and have to go into the other lane and there are cars coming, they have the right of way. Same with left turns. Right turns are different because you won’t be crossing into another lane, most times. In regards to stale green, if you’re unsure about the time it’s best to wait it out. Don’t ever try to beat it. It’s a sure way to not qualify. The supt is looking for safety not speed. Show him that you are confident in what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. If you are approaching the light and you’re not sure. Just mention it to him. Supt, I’m not sure about this light it’s been green for a while. I’m going to stand down. Let him know if your decision before you start slowing down or come to a stop. Always have a reason for them as to why you’re doing something and let them know. Most will appreciate you doing that, rather than running a yellow or slamming on your brakes at the last moment. Remember they are looking for safety not speed. Good luck on your next couple of days. Use the training they gave you and don’t over think or make yourself too nervous without cause. 

1 hour ago, lornaevo said:

As far as day 7 you won’t be doing parallel parking or straight back (well Atleast we didn’t in our class). You will be driving and making turns. Now it will be busy, Watch for construction workers, bicycles, pedestrians and other vehicles. Qualifying is a combination of day 6 and 7. So these two days have to be perfect. In regards to turning left, if you have to cross into someone else’s lane, then they have the right of way. So if you’re passing a doubles parked car and have to go into the other lane and there are cars coming, they have the right of way. Same with left turns. Right turns are different because you won’t be crossing into another lane, most times. In regards to stale green, if you’re unsure about the time it’s best to wait it out. Don’t ever try to beat it. It’s a sure way to not qualify. The supt is looking for safety not speed. Show him that you are confident in what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. If you are approaching the light and you’re not sure. Just mention it to him. Supt, I’m not sure about this light it’s been green for a while. I’m going to stand down. Let him know if your decision before you start slowing down or come to a stop. Always have a reason for them as to why you’re doing something and let them know. Most will appreciate you doing that, rather than running a yellow or slamming on your brakes at the last moment. Remember they are looking for safety not speed. Good luck on your next couple of days. Use the training they gave you and don’t over think or make yourself too nervous without cause. 

Oh that's why, so that's why he wrote on my paper SBO must remember to yield for oncoming traffic when making left turns. Ok but lets say if im making a left turn while waiting in the intersection giving the right of way to oncoming traffic and the traffic light for me turns to red and the oncoming traffic stops and i proceed to make my turn on red will that disqualify me on day 6 and day 7? In regards to the stale green traffic light, I'll do just that. Thank you lornaevo!

The same right of way rules that you will follow in a car, follow in the bus, unless something expressly gives you the right of way. (Bus priority lane, lights, cops, etc.)

As long as you're setup in the intersection, then you're already committed and completing your turn will not be considered running the light. However if you are behind the stop line / crosswalk and you start moving into the intersection and the light turns yellow before you reach your reference point, then it's a ran light.

Yellow, red lights and trolley brakes are automatic DQs. (I mean they are any other day but still. Stay away from the trolley brake)

3 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

EL Pillars technique is very important and will be used most of  the times throughout your operating career. When you become shifter qualify you will see why EL pillars are important to know and understand how to maneuver especially when working at areas that has Pillars.

I've been working the shop shifting trick for the past two weeks and has been el pillars in reverse half the time.

Pivot turns are extremely useful. The only thing that you would have to watch for is tailswing on the opposite side. 

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

The same right of way rules that you will follow in a car, follow in the bus, unless something expressly gives you the right of way. (Bus priority lane, lights, cops, etc.)

As long as you're setup in the intersection, then you're already committed and completing your turn will not be considered running the light. However if you are behind the stop line / crosswalk and you start moving into the intersection and the light turns yellow before you reach your reference point, then it's a ran light.

Yellow, red lights and trolley brakes are automatic DQs. (I mean they are any other day but still. Stay away from the trolley brake)

Ok Thank you SevenEleven! So lets say I'm waiting to turn left in the intersection and a bicyclist comes along either from behind me or towards me in the opposite direction, I should wait for them to go away from me and then complete/proceed with my left turn? 

Also, how about passing a car or bicyclist or waiting for them to go past me, besides calling them out, should I also honk my horn at them?

With turns either left or right, on days 6 and 7, will they disqualify me if say im making a right turn and lets say im trying to clear a curb, car parked on the corner, and i have to get my nose dirty and move more towards the left, maybe even go over the double yellow lines a little bit to clear my pivot point ( rear right tire) and theres a car in the left lane facing towards me should i honk my horn besides calling it out to my instructor or I dont have to honk my horn?

26 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Ok Thank you SevenEleven! So lets say I'm waiting to turn left in the intersection and a bicyclist comes along either from behind me or towards me in the opposite direction, I should wait for them to go away from me and then complete/proceed with my left turn? 

Also, how about passing a car or bicyclist or waiting for them to go past me, besides calling them out, should I also honk my horn at them?

Yes, you have to call them out and wait if they are in your 4 feet. If you follow them in your mirror and know that they're not gonna come near you, then proceed regular. If they're oncoming, they have the right of way. 

And yes, you have to honk your horn passing a pedestrian, bike or parked car. Or a car that poses a hazard to you as you pass.

19 minutes ago, train1290 said:

With turns either left or right, on days 6 and 7, will they disqualify me if say im making a right turn and lets say im trying to clear a curb, car parked on the corner, and i have to get my nose dirty and move more towards the left, maybe even go over the double yellow lines a little bit to clear my pivot point ( rear right tire) and theres a car in the left lane facing towards me should i honk my horn besides calling it out to my instructor or I dont have to honk my horn?

Opposite side traffic you do not have to blow your horn. But if you see that car on the corner and the turn is tight, then why are you next to the curb? You can get fat at any time, as long as you're not opening up the right side. Some turns will put you on the other side of the road because it's a small enough street. So the thing goes. The important thing is that you setup properly first, start turning and then adjust mid turn if needed. You're not gonna keep turning if you're gonna hit something, right? Many regular turns become pivot turns without you realizing it.

18 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Ok, did you have any pre trip on day 6 or 7?

No, but it depends on your supt.

4 hours ago, train1290 said:

As my instructor would say, "They're just lines on the ground." Use up all the space you need so long as it is safe to do so! 

9 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

As my instructor would say, "They're just lines on the ground." Use up all the space you need so long as it is safe to do so! 

Ok, ill do just that, ill just let them know what im going to do before i perfrom an action so they know what im doing.

22 hours ago, train1290 said:

Yes I corrected the drifting, I, however was making a left turn and saw two cars coming towards me, one was already passing me on the left. once it passed me, I started to turn and start to go to the right. I figured since i was first in the intersection I had right of way, and the other car was not near me, it was half a block away. My instructor said no they have right of way because I was going left. Now is that the same for right turns too if you're waiting to turn right and are already in the intersection waiting to turn right and theres another vehicle coming in the opposite direction thats half a block away and is not inside the instersection do we have to stop and wait for them to go first? regardless if its a right or left turn?

What did you do to correct the drifting? 

I was sent back again for too much points on my license, they said i can still be eligible in july 2022 im guessing they know when the points will come off, but now im thinking since i have my passengers permit if i should go to a cdl school to get it done while i have the permit

2 minutes ago, Kkg said:

I was sent back again for too much points on my license, they said i can still be eligible in july 2022 im guessing they know when the points will come off, but now im thinking since i have my passengers permit if i should go to a cdl school to get it done while i have the permit

When did you take your drug test? And how long until after they sent you a message for medical and the next step?

5 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

What did you do to correct the drifting? 

My instructor said instead of turning before getting to my referance point while lining it up with the fixed object for right turns or the double yellow lines for left turns. He said to pretend that i am going straight and not turn the wheel, keep it straight. So thats what I did.

Another question I have is If lets say Im turning left or right and the street im on before the turn has three left turn lanes or three right turn lanes, which lane should I be in?

And, If im turning right or left and depending on the turn if say theres three straight only lanes which lane should i turn into, the left straight, the middle straight, or, the right straight lane? Just curious.

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

Another question I have is If lets say Im turning left or right and the street im on before the turn has three left turn lanes or three right turn lanes, which lane should I be in?

And, If im turning right or left and depending on the turn if say theres three straight only lanes which lane should i turn into, the left straight, the middle straight, or, the right straight lane? Just curious.

You should be in the most outside lane. 

So tomorrow is Day 5, I think we will be in Manhattan doing highway driving and driving locally around Manhattan. I know day 6 we have to do good and along with day 7 to qualify the earliest. So what do we have to do good on Day 6 and day 7 to qualify, anyone know of a list of items we should and shouldnt do on days 6 and 7? Thanks!