B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

1 hour ago, train1290 said:

So tomorrow is Day 5, I think we will be in Manhattan doing highway driving and driving locally around Manhattan. I know day 6 we have to do good and along with day 7 to qualify the earliest. So what do we have to do good on Day 6 and day 7 to qualify, anyone know of a list of items we should and shouldnt do on days 6 and 7? Thanks!

Just my two cents here, but I think that you are worrying too much about what you might do wrong.  By day 6, new bus operator candidates should be past their initial jitters about controlling a 40 foot long x 102 inch wide vehicle through busy city streets. Listen to your instructors, do what they say and drive to the best of your abilities.  It's Ok to ask B/O's here what to expect in training, but if you are behind the wheel worrying about a difficult turn that someone on an internet message board told you about, you might not be ready for a situation that happens suddenly. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, train1290 said:

So tomorrow is Day 5, I think we will be in Manhattan doing highway driving and driving locally around Manhattan. I know day 6 we have to do good and along with day 7 to qualify the earliest. So what do we have to do good on Day 6 and day 7 to qualify, anyone know of a list of items we should and shouldnt do on days 6 and 7? Thanks!

Pay attention to the notes your superintendent wrote on your progress sheets and do your best to correct those mistakes. By day 5 you should be pretty confident in your ability to move the bus- this will be your last day to correct any problems you are having.

Use the hook turn when you find yourself too close to the curb and you're about to turn right. You need at least 3 feet of clearance to keep from hitting the curb. Remember, pull the front bumper away from the curb about 6-7 feet, your tail should still be close to the curb. Start your turn once your front bumper reaches the intersection and follow through. Continue to watch your rear pivot and adjust as necessary.

40 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Pay attention to the notes your superintendent wrote on your progress sheets and do your best to correct those mistakes. By day 5 you should be pretty confident in your ability to move the bus- this will be your last day to correct any problems you are having.

Use the hook turn when you find yourself too close to the curb and you're about to turn right. You need at least 3 feet of clearance to keep from hitting the curb. Remember, pull the front bumper away from the curb about 6-7 feet, your tail should still be close to the curb. Start your turn once your front bumper reaches the intersection and follow through. Continue to watch your rear pivot and adjust as necessary.

Ok, will do, any other tips that you got?

1 hour ago, RailBus63 said:

Just my two cents here, but I think that you are worrying too much about what you might do wrong.  By day 6, new bus operator candidates should be past their initial jitters about controlling a 40 foot long x 102 inch wide vehicle through busy city streets. Listen to your instructors, do what they say and drive to the best of your abilities.  It's Ok to ask B/O's here what to expect in training, but if you are behind the wheel worrying about a difficult turn that someone on an internet message board told you about, you might not be ready for a situation that happens suddenly. 

Ok, ill do my best and take my time, any other tips you got for turns?

6 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, ill do my best and take my time, any other tips you got for turns?

Keep in mind. They’re not looking for perfection. They are looking to see if you can adept operate a 40 feet, 40,000lb behemoth. Don’t overthink it. Just remain calm, be alert and try your best. Good luck. 

1 minute ago, lornaevo said:

Keep in mind. They’re not looking for perfection. They are looking to see if you can adept operate a 40 feet, 40,000lb behemoth. Don’t overthink it. Just remain calm, be alert and try your best. Good luck. 

Thank you lornaevo. Will do!

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

So My class wont be reporting tomorrow at 7a.m., instead we will report Monday at 6a.m. at fresh pond depot due to the weather and the hurricane.

I didn't do good until Day 6, forward planning and cover your right side, those were my gaffs on day 6

On day 7 I passed

before you turn go slow and decide what turn you need to make and be committed to the turn and follow through and adjust as to not clip your rear wheels with the sidewalk

as others have said they are looking if the student is progressing and not repeating the same mistakes

I hope you pass on Day 7, make believe day 6 is qualification day and do your best and you will surprise yourself on day 7

Edited by hh1a

9 hours ago, hh1a said:

I didn't do good until Day 6, forward planning and cover your right side, those were my gaffs on day 6

On day 7 I passed

before you turn go slow and decide what turn you need to make and be committed to the turn and follow through and adjust as to not clip your rear wheels with the sidewalk

as others have said they are looking if the student is progressing and not repeating the same mistakes

I hope you pass on Day 7, make believe day 6 is qualification day and do your best and you will surprise yourself on day 7

Oh, so on day 6 the instructor made you focus more on forward planning, and covering your right side?

Yes, I will take my time, and plan it out before hand before executing my turn.

Thank you hh1a.

Would you happen to know the route for day 6?

Listen to your instructor, he/she will guide & train you. You have to the drive the bus the ta way.  We can try to help you here but it isn’t the same as on the road, by day 6 are expected to know how to operate. Forward planning is the key. Watch the lights from a block plus away. Scan the mirrors every day 3-5. In the beginning it’s rough, we all been there. Good luck to you and everyone else 

3 hours ago, ActionMike said:

Listen to your instructor, he/she will guide & train you. You have to the drive the bus the ta way.  We can try to help you here but it isn’t the same as on the road, by day 6 are expected to know how to operate. Forward planning is the key. Watch the lights from a block plus away. Scan the mirrors every day 3-5. In the beginning it’s rough, we all been there. Good luck to you and everyone else 

Thank you ActionMike!

Hello and good luck to everyone here. I have 3 questions I need assistance with, I'm hoping I can find answers here. Let me explain my situation.... I went to 180 Livingston on 8/13/21 and completed the 1st phase of pre-employment. Now I received an email asking me to show up to 180 Livingston on 8/24/21 for the 2nd phase of the process (which I believe is the Medical portion of it) Now here is my problem..... on the email, it states that I need to complete the online health questionaire, which the link is in the email... when I click on the link, it takes me to a web page thats called Cority health questionaire.... here's my question.... what is the MAC (Medical Assessment Center) I'm thinking MTAHQ, but I'm not sure... 2nd question... which health questionaire do I need to fill out? There are 17 questionaires and I'm not sure which is the one thats needed. In my email, it said instructions are attached but all I see is a CPD Booklet (21 pages) I9 Forms (3 pages) and the New TA Hire booklet (18 pages) in PDF format, which I printed out and completed it..  And my 3rd question... I've seen people mention money orders for fingerprinting but that wasn't mentioned in my email.... so is this the 3rd phase of the hiring process?This is for Exam 9604 B/O. Thanks in advance and hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

2 hours ago, Livinglife said:

Hey! Anyone take the drug test and now waiting for the medical?

I did the drug test on 8/13 and now I have to go in for the medical tomorrow 8/24. Be sure to check your spam or junk mail folder. Thats where my email was. Good luck

So just got back a little while ago, We were in Manhattan driving around central park and the upper east side. And we drove a few times through the traverse underneath central park. I messed up while turning right from central park west onto 86 street. I drifted and turned before I lined up my reference point. We also, did some highway driving. That I did good on so, going forward with tomorrow, I'm going to keep my bus straight and line up my reference point and not turn until I'm at the proper point. I know tomorrow we have to do good along with day 7 to qualify, I just have one question. Will the instructor give us pointers about what to do or its up to us to know what to do what we have been taught? 

26 minutes ago, train1290 said:

So just got back a little while ago, We were in Manhattan driving around central park and the upper east side. And we drove a few times through the traverse underneath central park. I messed up while turning right from central park west onto 86 street. I drifted and turned before I lined up my reference point. We also, did some highway driving. That I did good on so, going forward with tomorrow, I'm going to keep my bus straight and line up my reference point and not turn until I'm at the proper point. I know tomorrow we have to do good along with day 7 to qualify, I just have one question. Will the instructor give us pointers about what to do or its up to us to know what to do what we have been taught? 

Congrats and good luck. Can I ask you a question. When you went in for medical appointment and was sent the email, did they ask you to fill out a health questionaire? When I click on it, it takes me to a page called Cority Health questionaire but there are like 17 questionaires. Which one do we need to fill out? Thx in advance and congrats👍

33 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Day 6 and 7 are testing days. They will not give you any pointers while you’re trying to be qualified.