B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Bori, Inbox me when you have the chance. You are not giving up! When you’re free inbox me.... You’re not going to give up that easy. You’re almost to the next chapter. 

I don't know how to send msgs sorry. It says something about 0 messages can be sent today🤔

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, ActionMike said:

70% usage on the cpap machine, for 30 days and the Mta doctor will qualify you and you will have to re visit once a year to show the cpap numbers 

Oh ok. Thx. I thought it was every month. Doesnt seem so bad but with my luck, I'll fail. Thanks for the explanation 

1 minute ago, BoRi1976 said:

Oh ok. Thx. I thought it was every month. Doesnt seem so bad but with my luck, I'll fail. Thanks for the explanation 

You’re not failing anything. If you need to be on Cpap, All you have to do is use the machine minimum of 4 hours a day and at least 70-90% usuage. After MAC clears you like @ActionMike explained, you will have to revisit mac for the next 90 days showing data that you’re using it in order to continue passenger service. A lot of Bus, Trains and Conductors are on it right now as we speak. 

10 minutes ago, BoRi1976 said:

For the first 30 days you need 70% & the Mac will qualify you to drive, than after that you have to show the report once a year. If you don’t have it just get a note from the sleep doctor and bring the sleep study report to the Mac, if you don’t have it you’ll be on your way 

32 minutes ago, ActionMike said:

For the first 30 days you need 70% & the Mac will qualify you to drive, than after that you have to show the report once a year. If you don’t have it just get a note from the sleep doctor and bring the sleep study report to the Mac, if you don’t have it you’ll be on your way 

Thanks again for being so informative👍 

35 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

You’re not failing anything. If you need to be on Cpap, All you have to do is use the machine minimum of 4 hours a day and at least 70-90% usuage. After MAC clears you like @ActionMike explained, you will have to revisit mac for the next 90 days showing data that you’re using it in order to continue passenger service. A lot of Bus, Trains and Conductors are on it right now as we speak. 

Thanks. It's just a bummer. As a kid, I always loved riding buses and I always said, one day I will drive these things.. but ended up driving dump trunks with a trailer and a backhoe on it. Moved back to NY 5 years ago and started riding buses again, cause Florida transportation is a no no🤣 and I always start up a convo with the bus drivers, when its safe to do so of course. I guess I could blame the honeymooners for the bus infatuation lol. Always dreamed of working out of Jackie Gleadon cause I'm a big fan and cause its in my hood. Sorry for the long as* storytelling. I'll setup an appointment and see how it goes. Thx for the encouraging words👍👏

4 hours ago, ActionMike said:

It’s a good job, get a sleep study, it’s 50/50, either you have it or not, if you don’t have it just summit it to the doctors and you’ll be fine, if you have it you have to use the machine and be 70% for 30 days. Good luck to u on whatever you choice 

How does this work? They just pick people who they view as a "risk"? 

I looked at the symptoms, I don't believe I have it. Do you see a doctor and they tell you whether you have it or not or is this 30 day 70% thing the way you prove you don't have it? 

4 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

How does this work? They just pick people who they view as a "risk"? 

I looked at the symptoms, I don't believe I have it. Do you see a doctor and they tell you whether you have it or not or is this 30 day 70% thing the way you prove you don't have it? 

It's called "sleep apnea" and, from what I've learned, there are two ways to see if you have this or not:

First, calculate your Body Mass Index. If it's over 35, that's a red flag. If you're on the curious side, just play around with the calculator by playing around with your weight.

Second, measure the size of your neck. If it's over 17 inches, that's also a red flag in itself.

Third, if you discover that you snore at night, that's also a red flag as well.

(There may be more, this is all I can think of at this time.)

Just note that even for those who have a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) who have to go for the bi-yearly physical, regardless if you work for Transit or not, they also check for sleep apnea as well by doing both of these things, depending on where you get your physical done. Therefore, it's important to take care of yourself, including watching your weight.

(And my apologies for not being online and posting more often, there is a thing that we all know, which is called "life"...)

Edited by +Young+

4 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

It's called "sleep apnea" and, from what I've learned, there are two ways to see if you have this or not:

First, calculate your Body Mass Index. If it's over 35, that's a red flag. If you're on the curious side, just play around with the calculator by playing around with your weight.

Second, measure the size of your neck. If it's over 17 inches, that's also a red flag in itself.

Just note that even for those who have a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) who have to go for the bi-yearly physical, regardless if you work for Transit or not, they also check for sleep apnea as well by doing both of these things, depending on where you get your physical done. Therefore, it's important to take care of yourself, including watching your weight.

(And my apologies for not being online and posting more often, there is a thing that we all know, which is called "life"...)

I want to add onto @+Young+, It's also up to the MAC Physician discretion. You may not have a size 17+ inch neck size, but suffer sleep disorder, or report that you snore when you sleep. You may also experiencing other medical diagnose, and MAC Physician may recommend to see a sleep study. At the end of the day, MTA is corresponding with national federal motor carrier safety administration and covering themself for  "What if" a serious situation occurs  while you're operating the bus for insurance purposes.

The study can be done at a Sleep center, and depending if you have medical insurance and what carrier it is, you may need a referral by a PCP or see if a location is accepting walk-ins. 

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

...At the end of the day, MTA is corresponding with national federal motor carrier safety administration...

If this is the case, then why does the agency require you folks to go for yearly medicals, when the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) require those folks who have a medical certificate to go every 22 to 23 months, providing there are no problems? This part I never understood, even to this date...

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

The study can be done at a Sleep center, and depending if you have medical insurance and what carrier it is, you may need a referral by a PCP or see if a location is accepting walk-ins. 

Back in 2017, somebody posted the name of a medical doctor who conducts sleep apnea without needing a referral or anything to that nature, which can be viewed here. Again, this was posted four [4] years ago, things might have changed since, especially with COVID.

34 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

If this is the case, then why does the agency require you folks to go for yearly medicals, when the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) require those folks who have a medical certificate to go every 22 to 23 months, providing there are no problems? This part I never understood, even to this date...

Back in 2017, somebody posted the name of a medical doctor who conducts sleep apnea without needing a referral or anything to that nature, which can be viewed here. Again, this was posted four [4] years ago, things might have changed since, especially with COVID.

With the agency, you still have to do the 19A medical re-certificate every 22-23 months as required, but for safety sensitive positions like Bus operators and etc, If you're diagnose with a medical condition for example "Diabetic, Hypertension, Sleep Apnea"  the Agency will place you on a 3 - 6 months, or yearly Revisit Medical Evaluation. The revisit will not be consider as the medical certificate. For an example, If you are place on medical revisit for being diabetic, When you return back to MAC for revisit, they will check your Blood sugar level, and your PCP  have to submit a record of your A1C level is at least 8 or below before the revisit day. If the A1C shows 8.5 "MAC Discretion to clear you with an .5" or above, MAC will remove you out of passengers service/ or any positions that is safety sensitive and place you on a temporary restricted duty. If medically what you have been diagnose changes, You will be removed from the medical revisit list.

The name of the medical doctor from that thread is good. I got another one  "Sunset Sleep Diagnostic " located in Brooklyn takes good care of some of the Transit workers today. 

Edited by Flatbush Operator
typo

5 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Hi guys, so I qualified today, tomorrow I'm going to Jamaica Depot. Question, when does Line training begin? When do I get a schedule?

No line training yet. You still have to wait for the rest of the class to qualify at least Day 10. Plus you have to pick a depot first. Since you qualified today, Tomorrow you and others who qualified will just learn other type of buses and relax.. Whoever didn’t qualify today will have to go to day 8 and 9 for a second chance to qualify.

34 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Hi guys, so I qualified today, tomorrow I'm going to Jamaica Depot. Question, when does Line training begin? When do I get a schedule?

Congratulations, don’t rush it, you made it. Your probation starts from Your hire date, everyday you aren’t driving is good. ( for now) let your classmates catch up to you. Day 9 and day 10 qualifiers. Wait till you do like training and drive on your own, that’s when the run begins 

3 hours ago, ActionMike said:

Congratulations, don’t rush it, you made it. Your probation starts from Your hire date, everyday you aren’t driving is good. ( for now) let your classmates catch up to you. Day 9 and day 10 qualifiers. Wait till you do like training and drive on your own, that’s when the run begins 

Ok, so hire date begins day 0 when we went to Zerega? I know any day outside of the operators seat is a good day.

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, is there parking around Jamaica depot?

Might be tough. Might have to go down a couple side streets to find something. If you take public, take the E/J train to Jamaica Center and then the Q4, Q5, Q42, Q83, Q84 or Q85 bus to Merrick and Liberty and walk the block to the depot.

And also congrats.