B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Might be tough. Might have to go down a couple side streets to find something. If you take public, take the E/J train to Jamaica Center and then the Q4, Q5, Q42, Q83, Q84 or Q85 bus to Merrick and Liberty and walk the block to the depot.

And also congrats. 

I’d take public transportation there if possible. Very bad for parking there. 

20 hours ago, ActionMike said:

I’d take public transportation there if possible. Very bad for parking there. 

yeah, i drove in today, i got there around 7a.m. today. Found parking two blocks away. have to be there tomorrow at 8:30a.m. Will leave early again.

Yes my group of 4 got to drive the new flyer bus model, We didn't get a chance to drive the Nova bus, tomorrow we will do that. Personally, I don't like the brakes on the new flyer bus, its so hard and stiff, plus it has an interlock feature on it that after depressing it for 3 seconds, itll sink and then you can take your foot off the brake pedal. I'm not a fan of it, I like the Orion brakes, they're very smooth to depress. So after tomorrow, I guess we will be off for Saturday, how about Sunday, do you think we will be working or have to go to Zerega, or we'll be off that day too?

29 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Yes my group of 4 got to drive the new flyer bus model, We didn't get a chance to drive the Nova bus, tomorrow we will do that. Personally, I don't like the brakes on the new flyer bus, its so hard and stiff, plus it has an interlock feature on it that after depressing it for 3 seconds, itll sink and then you can take your foot off the brake pedal. I'm not a fan of it, I like the Orion brakes, they're very smooth to depress. So after tomorrow, I guess we will be off for Saturday, how about Sunday, do you think we will be working or have to go to Zerega, or we'll be off that day too?

There’s lots of class room, there’s still vision zero and such. Imagine driving the bus for 8+ hours. That interlock would be very helpful. 

4 minutes ago, lornaevo said:

There’s lots of class room, there’s still vision zero and such. Imagine driving the bus for 8+ hours. That interlock would be very helpful. 

Yes, come to think about it, it does make sense. Quick question, when I do a relief for a bus operator, do I walk to the bus stop and wait there or take a bus there? Also, let's say the operator im relieving, has damage on the bus they cannot explain, should I refuse the bus? And if so, who do I tell?

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

Yes, come to think about it, it does make sense. Quick question, when I do a relief for a bus operator, do I walk to the bus stop and wait there or take a bus there? Also, let's say the operator im relieving, has damage on the bus they cannot explain, should I refuse the bus? And if so, who do I tell?

You take public transportation to the relief point I assume, my depot doesn’t have runs that start on the road. If there is damage, there is usually an SLD at the relief point. You show him the damage, note it on your OVCR and they give you their BO #. Also report your damage before moving the bus. Always. 

Edited by lornaevo

4 hours ago, train1290 said:

You will be doing both to get to/from your relief point, depending on where you have to go. Staten Island does reliefs outside the depots, so it's just a matter of going downstairs. But let's say Manhattanville or Quill for example, you will be taking the bus or train to your relief point.

If there's any new damage to the bus, it'll be obvious. The shop tends to smooth out prior damage, so you can tell the difference between the two, most of the time. So if it wasn't written up or can be explained, refuse the bus.

6 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

You will be doing both to get to/from your relief point, depending on where you have to go. Staten Island does reliefs outside the depots, so it's just a matter of going downstairs. But let's say Manhattanville or Quill for example, you will be taking the bus or train to your relief point.

If there's any new damage to the bus, it'll be obvious. The shop tends to smooth out prior damage, so you can tell the difference between the two, most of the time. So if it wasn't written up or can be explained, refuse the bus.

Just curious - do you guys have to fill out any inspection forms when you do a pull-out or a relief? 

At our agency, we fill out a 'vehicle inspection report' form to note any discrepancies, which is where I'd note any old scuffs or dents. The form has space for four operators and is left on the bus so you can see what previous operators wrote up.  We fill it out after we do a walk-around and we're not supposed to move the bus without filling it our (supervisors will occasionally hop on at a random stop to spot-check us). Obviously, it is always in an operator's best interest to pay close attention and write up anything you see - at our place, failure to note damage or an operating issue that causes a problem for the next B/O can get you written up. 

5 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Just curious - do you guys have to fill out any inspection forms when you do a pull-out or a relief? 

At our agency, we fill out a 'vehicle inspection report' form to note any discrepancies, which is where I'd note any old scuffs or dents. The form has space for four operators and is left on the bus so you can see what previous operators wrote up.  We fill it out after we do a walk-around and we're not supposed to move the bus without filling it our (supervisors will occasionally hop on at a random stop to spot-check us). Obviously, it is always in an operator's best interest to pay close attention and write up anything you see - at our place, failure to note damage or an operating issue that causes a problem for the next B/O can get you written up. 

Yes. 

18 hours ago, train1290 said:

Did everyone you train with graduate day 7? 

Edited by KDGallagher

21 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Do you have the passenger endorsement? If you do, then you don't have to take it. If you don't, then yeah you will. 

But I have to pass all there training for the 10 day. And I still haven’t heard back for medical. I did the drug test 2 weeks ago

2 hours ago, Livinglife said:

But I have to pass all there training for the 10 day. And I still haven’t heard back for medical. I did the drug test 2 weeks ago

Have you considered reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here? Hopefully this will do the trick for you.

Good luck!!

On 8/26/2021 at 8:03 PM, train1290 said:

That's one thing I don't like about the newer Xcelsiors and a big reason why I dislike driving them with the retarder off. Very little brake feel or feedback.

You'll be going down to the union hall once the Day 10 folks qualify. The Novas are pretty nice buses to drive. They drive smoothly.

21 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

That's one thing I don't like about the newer Xcelsiors and a big reason why I dislike driving them with the retarder off. Very little brake feel or feedback.

You'll be going down to the union hall once the Day 10 folks qualify. The Novas are pretty nice buses to drive. They drive smoothly.

Where is the Union Hall?