B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

9 hours ago, Moody said:

What is working in staten island like ? I understand you first line train on all the depots and train on the MCI busses. 

But are the hours more than 40 when you're on the xtra list? I like big runs or alot of hours. Is that available too (without touching your RDOs) ?

I'm considering going to staten island because it cuts my commute time. But if their hours are short ill just stay where im at. I love my depot. 

Extra list is a VERY easy way to see 45+ hour weeks. I'm considering it for the system pick come January.

Edited by SoSpectacular

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Extra list is a VERY easy way to see 45+ hour weeks. I'm considering it for the system pick come January.

That's fantastic.  I sometimes can't believe how much this job molded me to work this many hours and anything less feels ackward.  I love working. Best feeling for me is turning in the trip sheet and going home after a successful run 

3 minutes ago, Moody said:

That's fantastic.  I sometimes can't believe how much this job molded me to work this many hours and anything less feels ackward.  I love working. Best feeling for me is turning in the trip sheet and going home after a successful run 

Lol I know that feeling, except I found out I don't handle big/split runs very well, like you feel so exhausted at the end of the damn day especially for an 11-12 hour day.

10 hour runs are my hard limit. I had a run on the 61 that paid like 9:40 for the summer so going back to 8 hours feels like taking some weight off the chest.

14 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Overtime is considered to be anything unscheduled. If your run pays 9:33, that's all straight. If you work after your clear time or during your swing, that's all overtime.

So people with 50 hour runs are making no OT on those hours since it's scheduled? 

I thought that was built in OT 

19 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

So people with 50 hour runs are making no OT on those hours since it's scheduled? 

I thought that was built in OT 

There is built in OT yes and that gets calculated into your run pay. But your entire run, whatever it is, is scheduled. It's anything extra outside of your run that is unscheduled that counts as OT. 

21 hours ago, Moody said:

I average around 49 hours. Usually 55. That's what I like. Thank you so muchm

You can make that easy if you work the list at Charleston. Hell, even some of their work runs (floaters) pay that much. If you want to do extra service, there's so much open work right now that you can pretty much pick and choose. In SI, since you learn all the routes, you can work whichever depot's work.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

You can make that easy if you work the list at Charleston. Hell, even some of their work runs (floaters) pay that much. If you want to do extra service, there's so much open work right now that you can pretty much pick and choose. In SI, since you learn all the routes, you can work whichever depot's work.

Excellent. Thank goodness. I appreciate the help guys. I just want to hit my 50 hrs in 5 days and I'm happy. After probation will climb up that ladder.

Can't wait to see the Staten island runs. 

So I have written this before. I went to get my initial drug test and was told to hear back about the medical but I have not heard back I have tried contacting I have contacted all numbers that were put on to the previous post and still with no further, I’m stuck in a loop. I don’t what else besides contacting the agency. If anyone could give me some more Helpful answers please PM me

3 hours ago, Livinglife said:

So I have written this before. I went to get my initial drug test and was told to hear back about the medical but I have not heard back I have tried contacting I have contacted all numbers that were put on to the previous post and still with no further, I’m stuck in a loop. I don’t what else besides contacting the agency. If anyone could give me some more Helpful answers please PM me

How long has it been?

someone mentioned there is an Operator class starting on the 12.

It looks like the class is full and you just didn't make it that's why you didn't get the medical phase.

You will more likely be in the next class, I am hearing that they are in dire need of Operators and Conductors as well. I am not sure about Track Workers, but in either case you will get contacted, check that your contact info is correct and keep calling those numbers.

I was able to talk to someone but only after many attempts unfortunately.

Edited by hh1a

I just sent you a Private Message (PM). If you could send me a reply, I would appreciate it.

14 minutes ago, hh1a said:

I hear ya, big time...

16 hours ago, hh1a said:

someone mentioned there is an Operator class starting on the 12.

It looks like the class is full and you just didn't make it that's why you didn't get the medical phase.

You will more likely be in the next class, I am hearing that they are in dire need of Operators and Conductors as well. I am not sure about Track Workers, but in either case you will get contacted, check that your contact info is correct and keep calling those numbers.

That’s understandable but no matter how many times I called no one and I mean no one picked up. I would call non stop but to my avail no one picked up. All the number I have reached out for.

1 hour ago, Livinglife said:

That’s understandable but no matter how many times I called no one and I mean no one picked up. I would call non stop but to my avail no one picked up. All the number I have reached out for.

Good afternoon. I understand the frustration. (I've been there) Whenever I tried to contact them, I found that between 9am to 1pm were the sweetspot to get a hold of someone. But just know that I was constantly getting sent to a voice-mail but I kept hanging up and calling back repeatedly. Persistence is key and above all patience. Good luck and I hope you get through to someone

I want to give some pointers for both new students starting 7-day training and probationary operators.

School is back in session starting tomorrow (September 13, 2021). Respect all school zone by reducing your speed to 15 mph. Cover your brakes when approaching intersections, and passing by another larger vehicle where your view is obstructed ((Honk your horn 2x)), Watch for school buses making stops with the STOP sign and flashing red lights. Scan your mirrors and forward plan.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:11 AM, Flatbush Operator said:

I want to give some pointers for both new students starting 7-day training and probationary operators.

School is back in session starting tomorrow (September 13, 2021). Respect all school zone by reducing your speed to 15 mph. Cover your brakes when approaching intersections, and passing by another larger vehicle where your view is obstructed ((Honk your horn 2x)), Watch for school buses making stops with the STOP sign and flashing red lights. Scan your mirrors and forward plan.

I'd like to add as well a couple things.

If you don't feel confident in passing a double park car or vehicle then don't do it.

Just because you see another bus operator pass around a double parked vehicle doesn't mean you should go around it.

In a situation where a double parked vehicle is involved you have to understand you are never wrong when your gut tells you that you don't have clearance. So when you approach it you honk to make yourself known and you sit there. Don't move.

If they are telling you come on you can pass or if they try guiding you don't even respond just watch them. They'll give up and move because they think oh this guys an idiot. That's good. Let them think you're an idiot because you made them move.

The only guides we follow are, another bus operator, nypd, fdny. And that's it. I never ever ever will be allow myself to be guided by any other individual. 

If they refuse to move, you call console. And you sit there. Remember we don't get medals to get the end of the line. We sit in any kind of situation. And we get paid for it. 

Eventually if the cops come they might ask you or they'll know that you can't make it and not say anything. They will not doubt you. And they will not pressure you to move.

Another thing with the lights in general.

For example. The light is green. And it's been green for a while. The red hands are counting down. In any kind of bus once the count down reaches 7,6,5, you should totally be stopped.

The reason we stop early because yellow lights in the MTA is a red light to us. The front part of a bus can make the light but the middle and back side is going to hit the yellow and red.

Don't fight back against traffic. Be absolutely passive. Except it. 

5 hours ago, Moody said:

I'd like to add as well a couple things.

If you don't feel confident in passing a double park car or vehicle then don't do it.

Just because you see another bus operator pass around a double parked vehicle doesn't mean you should go around it.

In a situation where a double parked vehicle is involved you have to understand you are never wrong when your gut tells you that you don't have clearance. So when you approach it you honk to make yourself known and you sit there. Don't move.

If they are telling you come on you can pass or if they try guiding you don't even respond just watch them. They'll give up and move because they think oh this guys an idiot. That's good. Let them think you're an idiot because you made them move.

The only guides we follow are, another bus operator, nypd, fdny. And that's it. I never ever ever will be allow myself to be guided by any other individual. 

If they refuse to move, you call console. And you sit there. Remember we don't get medals to get the end of the line. We sit in any kind of situation. And we get paid for it. 

Eventually if the cops come they might ask you or they'll know that you can't make it and not say anything. They will not doubt you. And they will not pressure you to move.

Another thing with the lights in general.

For example. The light is green. And it's been green for a while. The red hands are counting down. In any kind of bus once the count down reaches 7,6,5, you should totally be stopped.

The reason we stop early because yellow lights in the MTA is a red light to us. The front part of a bus can make the light but the middle and back side is going to hit the yellow and red.

Don't fight back against traffic. Be absolutely passive. Except it. 

I thought this training was supposed to be so profesional and its the complete opposite. Sh*t is ratchet as hell. Screaming n hollering and supt talking on the phone and stopping in between our training to run personal errands. I must have some bad luck. Went as far as making a student drive on a highway w/o the convex being fixed properly. I understand why the supt pointed the convex mirror all the way up, so the student would look for their pivot on the flat mirror like you're suppose to but to make the student take the highway blindly like that is uncool. I don't think I'm making it through cause I've just had about enough the unprofessionalism. Thats just ludacris.

3 hours ago, BoRi1976 said:

I thought this training was supposed to be so profesional and its the complete opposite. Sh*t is ratchet as hell. Screaming n hollering and supt talking on the phone and stopping in between our training to run personal errands. I must have some bad luck. Went as far as making a student drive on a highway w/o the convex being fixed properly. I understand why the supt pointed the convex mirror all the way up, so the student would look for their pivot on the flat mirror like you're suppose to but to make the student take the highway blindly like that is uncool. I don't think I'm making it through cause I've just had about enough the unprofessionalism. Thats just ludacris.

In that case, your center mirror should be able to see the 2/3 right side windows if properly setup. The old RTS buses didn’t have convex mirrors and you had to use your judgement on the center mirror.

We know the yelling is like whoa but trust me, we all went through it. Some Supt don’t yell, but they’re the type to fail you quicker. The yelling is a good thing because you will encounter passengers yelling, shouting, kids fighting on the bus, Adults arguing or having phone call conversation very loudly which may cause a distraction. But after training, you will remember how much that yelling and shouting by the Supt helped out. Your job is to learn key points and execute on qualification day. Training is the most intense part of the job, after this stage the job is breezy. Easy breezy money.

**The NYPD goes through the same scenario through their training.  

11 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

In that case, your center mirror should be able to see the 2/3 right side windows if properly setup. The old RTS buses didn’t have convex mirrors and you had to use your judgement on the center mirror.

We know the yelling is like whoa but trust me, we all went through it. Some Supt don’t yell, but they’re the type to fail you quicker. The yelling is a good thing because you will encounter passengers yelling, shouting, kids fighting on the bus, Adults arguing or having phone call conversation very loudly which may cause a distraction. But after training, you will remember how much that yelling and shouting by the Supt helped out. Your job is to learn key points and execute on qualification day. Training is the most intense part of the job, after this stage the job is breezy. Easy breezy money.

**The NYPD goes through the same scenario through their training.  

I'm all for the yelling and hollering. The supt was like look at you all nervous and I replied, nothing to be nervous about and kept my cool. After I was done driving I told the supt all I actually got was a headache and we just laughed it all up.

4 hours ago, BoRi1976 said:

I thought this training was supposed to be so professional and its the complete opposite. Sh*t is ratchet as hell. Screaming n hollering and supt talking on the phone and stopping in between our training to run personal errands. I must have some bad luck. Went as far as making a student drive on a highway w/o the convex being fixed properly. I understand why the supt pointed the convex mirror all the way up, so the student would look for their pivot on the flat mirror like you're suppose to but to make the student take the highway blindly like that is uncool. I don't think I'm making it through cause I've just had about enough the unprofessionalism. That's just ludacris.

On a serious note, I just sent you a Private Message (PM) in regards to this. If you can send me a reply, I would appreciate it.

4 hours ago, BoRi1976 said:

I got yelled that for doing the right thing during training. Especially because I only had a cdl permit. Does that make sense ? Hell yeah it does.

Every morning I got to training early. So I can have my coffee and relax a bit. But as soon as he saw me, he made me work. 

A Example of a morning for me during training:

Let's go you're going to be doing this on your own soon. Set up your mirrors. Pretrip the bus I'm going check them (And they will check your mirror set up) 

And then he would make me practice for cdl air brake and pretrip license. And I'd have to do it over and over until I got it right. 

But this is what made me do. They mold you. And you're fresh. 

You see the, 7 day training is to see if you should be privileged to go to the next step. Can you handle a bus with 40 people on it ? Can the MTA trust you with their bus ? Why should they ? Prove it. 

The superintendents don't fail anyone. You fail yourself. I've seen people with 15 years yellow bus experience fail. It's going to happen. 

You heard it before and I'll go back to day 3 when they say "progress not perfection"

Those superintendents work hard for you. Follow exactly what they say. 

And by day 2 or 3 you should automatically know how to set up your mirrors. 

Every time you enter a different bus the mirrors will never ever ever ever be the same set up. Because some people are taller or shorter than others. Sometimes I get excited to see other people's mirror set up just to see if their set up is like mine. 

Not a single bus driver including my class mates have the same set up as mine. Not because they're wrong. It's because of how I sit in the seat and my height. 

Your superintendents will help you how to customize the mirrors so that it's zerega approved and so that you're comfortable with it. 

3 minutes ago, Moody said:

I got yelled that for doing the right thing during training. Especially because I only had a cdl permit. Does that make sense ? Hell yeah it does.

Every morning I got to training early. So I can have my coffee and relax a bit. But as soon as he saw me, he made me work. 

Let's go you're going to be doing this on your own soon. Set up your mirrors. Pretrip the bus I'm going check them (And they will check your mirror set up) 

And then he would make me practice for cdl air brake and pretrip license. And I'd have to do it over and over until I got it right. 

You see the, 7 day training is to see if you should be privileged to go to the next step. Can you handle a bus with 40 people on it ? Can the MTA trust you with their bus ? Why should they ? Prove it. 

The superintendents don't fail anyone. You fail yourself. I've seen people with 15 years yellow bus experience fail. It's going to happen. 

You heard it before and I'll go back to day 3 when they say "progress not perfection"

Every time you enter a different bus the mirrors will never ever ever ever be the same set up. Because some people are taller or shorter than others. Sometimes I get excited to see other people's mirror set up just to see if their set up is like mine. 

Not a single bus driver including my class mates have the same set up as mine. Not because they're wrong. It's because of how I sit in the seat and my height. 

Your superintendents will help you how to customize the mirrors so that it's zerega approved and so that you're comfortable with it. 

Thats 100 percent correct. The fact is we as students as we're phrased should be getting 100percent from the supt. Not 50 percent, especially when you only have 5 days to learn. Thank god for the book and videos out there on YT. Alsaps I'm familiar with, pretrip as well. Im actually helping all my classmates trying to get them to learn it. We all meet up at 5am and get there so they can practice it. As far as people failing, I already had one guy trying to quit cause of all the yelling but I told him hang tight and fix whatever the supt is writing down on your progress sheet. 

20 minutes ago, Moody said:

BOOM! You nailed it!    ((Progress not Perfection)) But exactly. You need to earn that position before they can trust you with that killer machine. 

11 minutes ago, BoRi1976 said:

Thats 100 percent correct. The fact is we as students as we're phrased should be getting 100percent from the supt. Not 50 percent, especially when you only have 5 days to learn. Thank god for the book and videos out there on YT. Alsaps I'm familiar with, pretrip as well. Im actually helping all my classmates trying to get them to learn it. We all meet up at 5am and get there so they can practice it. As far as people failing, I already had one guy trying to quit cause of all the yelling but I told him hang tight and fix whatever the supt is writing down on your progress sheet. 

Teamwork is a plus! 

54 minutes ago, Moody said:

I got yelled that for doing the right thing during training. Especially because I only had a cdl permit. Does that make sense ? Hell yeah it does...

(First of all, I'm not quoting everything you said, primarily to reduce the size of this post and webpage. My apologies if I offended you by doing this.)

Although I agree and like what you mentioned, I have a particular question based on what you said:

If you look at the Notice of Examinations for 7612, 9604 and 9618 (in which the list will be published "soon" based on these comments), on the second page of the PDF of the Notice of Examinations, all you need to be appointed is either the CDL (Commercial Drivers License) or the CLP (Commercial Learners Permit) along with a primarily clean abstract, with the exception of a single accident, a point or two, etc, in addition to nothing pending whatsoever. Therefore, with the fact that there are currently three [3] lists out for the TA Bus Operator Position, and the list for 9618 will be published "soon," why is this?

I don't know about you, however, the way I look at it, with the fact that there are three [3] lists out for the TA Bus Operator Position, this says something to begin with...

Good luck with your careers!!