B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

41 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

(First of all, I'm not quoting everything you said, primarily to reduce the size of this post and webpage. My apologies if I offended you by doing this.)

Although I agree and like what you mentioned, I have a particular question based on what you said:

If you look at the Notice of Examinations for 7612, 9604 and 9618 (in which the list will be published "soon" based on these comments), on the second page of the PDF of the Notice of Examinations, all you need to be appointed is either the CDL (Commercial Drivers License) or the CLP (Commercial Learners Permit) along with a primarily clean abstract, with the exception of a single accident, a point or two, etc, in addition to nothing pending whatsoever. Therefore, with the fact that there are currently three [3] lists out for the TA Bus Operator Position, and the list for 9618 will be published "soon," why is this?

I don't know about you, however, the way I look at it, with the fact that there are three [3] lists out for the TA Bus Operator Position, this says something to begin with...

Good luck with your careers!!

They need bus operators. There's a big shortage of bus operators. All you ever needed to begin with is a cdl permit. Once you pass the 7 day training they will help you get the cdl license. And there are many people who only have cdl permits because it's expensive and it's what it is.

But any way for me personally going through cdl training with the mta helped me even more because I maneuvered that bus in different ways and I got sooo much help from the zerega superintendents there. 

Now not everyone in training is from the same exam. It's mixed. Some are TA, some are OA and mabstoa.

So don't be surprised if day 0 at zerega you have people from other exams in the same room. But remember when you pick depot's, not everyone is privileged to pick the depot of their choice after you pass 7 day. 

To everyone on their way, just listen to what zerega says and pass your probation. If you are not sure of something then ask. If you're still not sure, ask again. There's no such thing as a bad question. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This training is to get you ready for what you going to face when you are on you own in the bus no body is perfect they look for progress that what you need and listen to what they said because they know if you dont listen now you wont do the things their way once you by your self .

There are different list for various reason they are short on drivers and some of the ppl on the list like my self dont want to switch over for different reason 

56 minutes ago, Santana04 said:

This training is to get you ready for what you going to face when you are on you own in the bus no body is perfect they look for progress that what you need and listen to what they said because they know if you dont listen now you wont do the things their way once you by your self .

There are different list for various reason they are short on drivers and some of the ppl on the list like my self dont want to switch over for different reason 

A lot of operators retired and it's still going. My depot alone has 12 more leaving before the year ends. Its a mixture of retirement, promotions into SLD and a good percentage are out on comp for assaults or injury on duty. 

21 hours ago, BoRi1976 said:

I thought this training was supposed to be so profesional and its the complete opposite. Sh*t is ratchet as hell. Screaming n hollering and supt talking on the phone and stopping in between our training to run personal errands. I must have some bad luck. Went as far as making a student drive on a highway w/o the convex being fixed properly. I understand why the supt pointed the convex mirror all the way up, so the student would look for their pivot on the flat mirror like you're suppose to but to make the student take the highway blindly like that is uncool. I don't think I'm making it through cause I've just had about enough the unprofessionalism. Thats just ludacris.

This training is of a professional level, but it’s highly stressful. I cried when I went home in day 3. I’ve been driving CMV for 8 years before coming to mta and this is unlike anything I’ve driven before. The supt isn’t there to harm you but prepare you for a successful career. Don’t take it personally. Just try to learn as much as you can and try to drive as much as you can during these couple days. It’s only for your benefit. My Supt never yelled at us but was stern in talking to us. Good Luck with your training and see you on the road. 

16 hours ago, Moody said:

I got yelled that for doing the right thing during training. Especially because I only had a cdl permit. Does that make sense ? Hell yeah it does.

Sounds like Supt Quarless. 

18 hours ago, Moody said:

I got yelled that for doing the right thing during training. Especially because I only had a cdl permit. Does that make sense ? Hell yeah it does.

Every morning I got to training early. So I can have my coffee and relax a bit. But as soon as he saw me, he made me work. 

A Example of a morning for me during training:

Let's go you're going to be doing this on your own soon. Set up your mirrors. Pretrip the bus I'm going check them (And they will check your mirror set up) 

And then he would make me practice for cdl air brake and pretrip license. And I'd have to do it over and over until I got it right. 

But this is what made me do. They mold you. And you're fresh. 

You see the, 7 day training is to see if you should be privileged to go to the next step. Can you handle a bus with 40 people on it ? Can the MTA trust you with their bus ? Why should they ? Prove it. 

The superintendents don't fail anyone. You fail yourself. I've seen people with 15 years yellow bus experience fail. It's going to happen. 

You heard it before and I'll go back to day 3 when they say "progress not perfection"

Those superintendents work hard for you. Follow exactly what they say. 

And by day 2 or 3 you should automatically know how to set up your mirrors. 

Every time you enter a different bus the mirrors will never ever ever ever be the same set up. Because some people are taller or shorter than others. Sometimes I get excited to see other people's mirror set up just to see if their set up is like mine. 

Not a single bus driver including my class mates have the same set up as mine. Not because they're wrong. It's because of how I sit in the seat and my height. 

Your superintendents will help you how to customize the mirrors so that it's zerega approved and so that you're comfortable with it. 

I actually hope I get a supt like yours. 

sounds like he just wants you to be prepared. Those extra reps sound like a blessing to me 

On 9/15/2021 at 4:16 PM, BoRi1976 said:

I thought this training was supposed to be so profesional and its the complete opposite. Sh*t is ratchet as hell. Screaming n hollering and supt talking on the phone and stopping in between our training to run personal errands. I must have some bad luck. Went as far as making a student drive on a highway w/o the convex being fixed properly. I understand why the supt pointed the convex mirror all the way up, so the student would look for their pivot on the flat mirror like you're suppose to but to make the student take the highway blindly like that is uncool. I don't think I'm making it through cause I've just had about enough the unprofessionalism. Thats just ludacris.

I was thrown on the highway on Day 4 on our way back to Grand Ave from doing the el pillars. I thought of it as a way to test myself. Plus, you will need to have some highway experience since you have to use it during the CDL road test (also some official run-on and run-off routes have this written in the route descriptions). Most of Transit's buses are governed at 40 MPH but for the road test you will be driving a bus governed at 50-55. Take that as necessary experience!

I was at a point where I didn't think I was going to pass the training but I found my bearings by the 5th day and was moving that bus with no problems. You'll get it dude.

6 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

I was thrown on the highway on Day 4 on our way back to Grand Ave from doing the el pillars. I thought of it as a way to test myself. Plus, you will need to have some highway experience since you have to use it during the CDL road test (also some official run-on and run-off routes have this written in the route descriptions). Most of Transit's buses are governed at 40 MPH but for the road test you will be driving a bus governed at 50-55. Take that as necessary experience!

I was at a point where I didn't think I was going to pass the training but I found my bearings by the 5th day and was moving that bus with no problems. You'll get it dude.

Good morning. Yes you are correct. Yesterday was day 4 and I drove on the highway to white plains to do straight line backing, parallel parking and pillars and everything else we learned on days 1-3. Today I had a sit down with the supt and they asked me what do I think of my performance so far and I simply said that I need to get out of my old habits (hand over hand) and work on my 4' spacing on the right-side. Then I told them I also need to work on example.... making a left turn, approach the reference point (setup the turn) when its clear to turn, look right and then start the turn. As I'm turning, take a quick glance at the front, then glance at my left mirror to check my left pivot has cleared then look at my right mirror and follow through and straighten my wheel. The supt said it was nice to know that I'm paying attention and reading the book (Bus Bible) and said I have the alsaps and pretrip nailed down but to come back on day 5 and work on what I told them. They said I know you can drive the bus, but we need you to do it the way transit wants you to do it. Moral of the story... Listen and watch what everyone is doing wrong behind the wheel and take notes. I try to help others in my class as much as I can, example alsaps and pretrip etc. Explaing the different turns and so on. Now I'll just have to execute these wrong doings of mine to keep this drill sgt from yelling as much🤣

4 hours ago, BoRi1976 said:

Good morning. Yes you are correct. Yesterday was day 4 and I drove on the highway to white plains to do straight line backing, parallel parking and pillars and everything else we learned on days 1-3. Today I had a sit down with the supt and they asked me what do I think of my performance so far and I simply said that I need to get out of my old habits (hand over hand) and work on my 4' spacing on the right-side. Then I told them I also need to work on example.... making a left turn, approach the reference point (setup the turn) when its clear to turn, look right and then start the turn. As I'm turning, take a quick glance at the front, then glance at my left mirror to check my left pivot has cleared then look at my right mirror and follow through and straighten my wheel. The supt said it was nice to know that I'm paying attention and reading the book (Bus Bible) and said I have the alsaps and pretrip nailed down but to come back on day 5 and work on what I told them. They said I know you can drive the bus, but we need you to do it the way transit wants you to do it. Moral of the story... Listen and watch what everyone is doing wrong behind the wheel and take notes. I try to help others in my class as much as I can, example alsaps and pretrip etc. Explaing the different turns and so on. Now I'll just have to execute these wrong doings of mine to keep this drill sgt from yelling as much🤣

Lol @drill Sgt 

On 9/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, lornaevo said:

This training is of a professional level, but it’s highly stressful. I cried when I went home in day 3. I’ve been driving CMV for 8 years before coming to mta and this is unlike anything I’ve driven before. The supt isn’t there to harm you but prepare you for a successful career. Don’t take it personally. Just try to learn as much as you can and try to drive as much as you can during these couple days. It’s only for your benefit. My Supt never yelled at us but was stern in talking to us. Good Luck with your training and see you on the road. 

Sounds like Supt Quarless. 

@lornaevo yes you are 100% correct. Learn from my mistakes is the key. Hand over hand is killing me. I need to get that push n pull technique down and 4" of spacing on the right side. The yelling doesn't get to me cause I get the supt laughing at my sly remarks( supt was like look at him all nervous and scared,, I'm intimidating him) I was like come on now, all that screaming and hollering is only giving me a headache and quite honestly, it isn't good for your blood pressure. All the supt could do is laugh. They even told me that its incredible how I handled the pressure while others in my class has told the supt to please stop yelling cause they are nervous.

35 minutes ago, BoRi1976 said:

@lornaevo yes you are 100% correct. Learn from my mistakes is the key. Hand over hand is killing me. I need to get that push n pull technique down and 4" of spacing on the right side. The yelling doesn't get to me cause I get the supt laughing at my sly remarks( supt was like look at him all nervous and scared,, I'm intimidating him) I was like come on now, all that screaming and hollering is only giving me a headache and quite honestly, it isn't good for your blood pressure. All the supt could do is laugh. They even told me that its incredible how I handled the pressure while others in my class has told the supt to please stop yelling cause they are nervous.

I'm wondering who your superintendent is... I vaguely recall someone from my day 8/9 training class talking about her instructor who had a drill sergeant-like demeanor and was always yelling. Does he wear a hat of some sort?

15 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

I'm wondering who your superintendent is... I vaguely recall someone from my day 8/9 training class talking about her instructor who had a drill sergeant-like demeanor and was always yelling. Does he wear a hat of some sort?

Nah but I think I know who you're talking about. I think he's in Eastchester. He's I believe he's the one in one of those videos on the these forums preping people on how to park the bus