B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, anyone here training out of ulmer park depot that visited today jamaica depot around 10:30 a.m.? I saw a training bus leaving the yard from jamaica depot around that time today. I think the Supt on the bus was Evans?

Edited by train1290

10 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Congrats, very proud of you! Question, do you have your CDL or your permit?

I have a cdl class b but when I went to the dmv for the passenger endorsement, I was given a learners permit so I can take the road test on the bus. So when I pass the road test, I'll get my class B back with the endorsement added to it.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, train1290 said:

Hey guys, anyone here training out of ulmer park depot that visited today jamaica depot around 10:30 a.m.? I saw a training bus leaving the yard from jamaica depot around that time today. I think the Supt on the bus was Evans?

Was it the blue New Flyer bus you saw?

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

Guys, So I'm about to graduate tomorrow.....where can I go to buy a few MTA long sleeve shirts with the patch and pants? Also can I get a badge holder and wear my badge around my neck or it has to be on the ride side clipped on? Thanks again!

Just get something that’s uniform colors that’s comfortable. We just switched vendors so it’s going to be a while for you to start getting your uniform. You can buy patches and some polos from the guy selling outside of Zerega. You can only wear polos until Halloween. After that, you must wear a blue button up shirt. Get a tie if you haven’t already, you will need one with your button ups on October 15th.

Get both badge holders. You can wear the one around your neck but technically it’s only supposed to be when you wear your polo. Nobody (except maybe Zerega) will bother you about it. If you want, the same guy outside Zerega does old school badges with the holder, if that’s something that you’re interested in.

Congrats on graduating. 

1 hour ago, KDGallagher said:

What makes you think they're not calling?

Two reasons:

First, if you look at @misslo's profile, you will see that this person was put on medical hold. Therefore, upon making an appointment to have the "medical hold" removed, the member was informed that they (Employment Operations) are currently not hiring off of any TA Civil Service Lists for the "Bus Operator" position.

Second, as of this typing (September 30th, 2021, shortly before 9 PM), if you look at the Civil Service List Certification webpage, if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box, you will see that the last certification was issued this past July and expired this past August. In order for them to hire, there needs to be a current "Certification" in effect, in addition to a week or two after the "Certification" expires.

Good morning everyone

I am not sure where to post this question, so I apologize

If you are a current Bus Operator and pass probation, you can leave your title and try another title (for example track worker) once you are called.

Does this apply to all three TA, OA, MTA Bus company ?

Are you considered to be a
"New hire" if you leave your current title for another title ?

Thank You

Hey guys, currently working for a paratransit company and yesterday I got into an accident. Was trying to pass a double parked vehicle to my left and ended up taking his mirror off on 5th ave in brooklyn. I was at fault

How does transit view accidents when going thru the process? This is my first time ever getting into an accident / potentially getting points on my license. Other than this one incident, I've had a clean record. 

On 10/2/2021 at 5:33 AM, hh1a said:

Good morning everyone

I am not sure where to post this question, so I apologize

If you are a current Bus Operator and pass probation, you can leave your title and try another title (for example track worker) once you are called.

Does this apply to all three TA, OA, MTA Bus company ?

Are you considered to be a
"New hire" if you leave your current title for another title ?

Thank You

If you are transferring to another TA title, it will be treated as a promotion. (So they will run your record) Other than that, you will be a new hire. You start from scratch in the new title. You have a year from when you transfer to the title to come back to your old one. 

For OA and MTA Bus, they don’t have to honor the 1 year rule since it’s a civil service provision and those two aren’t civil service. 

3 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Hey guys, currently working for a paratransit company and yesterday I got into an accident. Was trying to pass a double parked vehicle to my left and ended up taking his mirror off on 5th ave in brooklyn. I was at fault

How does transit view accidents when going thru the process? This is my first time ever getting into an accident / potentially getting points on my license. Other than this one incident, I've had a clean record. 

I had 2 accidents at my job before transit and they didn’t say anything. Put it down when they ask for it and if it’s going to be a problem, they will let you know. As long as you don’t get 4 points on your license as a result, you should be fine. 

8 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

I don't think you would have a problem. A dude in my class had 2 accidents in the last year and he's doing line training. Whats crazy to me is that the vehicle you hit was double parked ILLEGALY but its still your fault? That vehicle should've not been there but I know how paratransit works. I used to work for MV before joining transit.

5 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

If you are transferring to another TA title, it will be treated as a promotion. (So they will run your record) Other than that, you will be a new hire. You start from scratch in the new title. You have a year from when you transfer to the title to come back to your old one. 

For OA and MTA Bus, they don’t have to honor the 1 year rule since it’s a civil service provision and those two aren’t civil service.

How about if you are hired for OA or MTA Bus and complete your 1 year probation, then you get called from NYCTA and go there,

would you then be considered as a "new hire" and start from scratch again?

Thanks

10 hours ago, hh1a said:

How about if you are hired for OA or MTA Bus and complete your 1 year probation, then you get called from NYCTA and go there,

Thanks

I was abot to ask this question too. Im not yet employed by the MTA. The lady said they not calling from this list anymore and the 0100 (OA) which looks like im going to be hired for -they cant find my application lol lol. I really want to go TA but i dont want to wait but im currently working for USPS so i guess i could wait.

12 hours ago, hh1a said:

Thanks

No. I had a guy in my class recently at MTA Bus, after he cleared probation TA called him and he transferred. Didn’t have to re do probation. Just had to do line training at the new depot. 

2 hours ago, lornaevo said:

No. I had a guy in my class recently at MTA Bus, after he cleared probation TA called him and he transferred. Didn’t have to re do probation. Just had to do line training at the new depot. 

2 hours ago, lornaevo said:

4 hours ago, misslo said:

I was abot to ask this question too. Im not yet employed by the MTA. The lady said they not calling from this list anymore and the 0100 (OA) which looks like im going to be hired for -they cant find my application lol lol. I really want to go TA but i dont want to wait but im currently working for USPS so i guess i could wait.

15 hours ago, hh1a said:

Thanks

To Transfer Agency title, from OA to TA will be no problem. You just go through the Livingston process all over, and is place onto the next training hiring class. You will be cleared from doing any Zerega qualification test. If you have already completed Probation, you'll be all set, however, if you're still on probation, you will just continue from where you left off before transferring agency. The only thing you will lose is your current seniority. Your new hire date will be the date you have been appointed for the new class you transferred too.