B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

On 10/6/2021 at 7:14 PM, BoRi1976 said:

I don't think you would have a problem. A dude in my class had 2 accidents in the last year and he's doing line training. Whats crazy to me is that the vehicle you hit was double parked ILLEGALY but its still your fault? That vehicle should've not been there but I know how paratransit works. I used to work for MV before joining transit.

The same would apply for the Mta, if you tried to squeeze past a double parked car and hit the mirror it would be treated as a preventative accident. Mta will train you from the beginning to know the size of your bus, if you don’t think you’ll make it, call the command center & wait for assistance or wait for the car to move. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ActionMike said:

The same would apply for the Mta, if you tried to squeeze past a double parked car and hit the mirror it would be treated as a preventative accident. Mta will train you from the beginning to know the size of your bus, if you don’t think you’ll make it, call the command center & wait for assistance or wait for the car to move.  It doesn’t matter if the vehicle is parked illegally or not, you hit it

12 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

**An important update for candidates that are waiting to be called. Starting this November 2021, MTA will only hire new applicants if they are vaccinated. 

Hey quick question! I was emailed to come in for the next step which is medical, and to have my finger prints etc. They even told me the date for the next class that they are considering me for. However I unfortunately wont be in town that day,:( Do you know if they normally just offer you another date to come in ? Or will it be a much longer wait now?? 

29 minutes ago, kd1234 said:

Hey quick question! I was emailed to come in for the next step which is medical, and to have my finger prints etc. They even told me the date for the next class that they are considering me for. However I unfortunately wont be in town that day,:( Do you know if they normally just offer you another date to come in ? Or will it be a much longer wait now?? 

They can either tell you to report the next available date or have contacted them back when you're available.

How many days will you’ll be out?

20 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

They can either tell you to report the next available date or have contacted them back when you're available.

How many days will you’ll be out?

So they wanted me to report to 180 livingston for medical , etc on oct 18th . And they stated they are considering me to join the oct 24th class, but the unfortunate thing is that i will be away from oct 18th-24th. So ill b returning that evening. I'm hoping they'll allow me to take the next class :( 

On 9/30/2021 at 12:24 AM, SevenEleven said:

Just get something that’s uniform colors that’s comfortable. We just switched vendors so it’s going to be a while for you to start getting your uniform. You can buy patches and some polos from the guy selling outside of Zerega. You can only wear polos until Halloween. After that, you must wear a blue button up shirt. Get a tie if you haven’t already, you will need one with your button ups on October 15th.

Get both badge holders. You can wear the one around your neck but technically it’s only supposed to be when you wear your polo. Nobody (except maybe Zerega) will bother you about it. If you want, the same guy outside Zerega does old school badges with the holder, if that’s something that you’re interested in.

Congrats on graduating. 

Thanks again, SevenEleven. Sorry I couldnt respond earlier enough. Just been busy working all kinds of hours. You already know how it is, But just wanted to say thanks.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:28 AM, Flatbush Operator said:

**An important update for candidates that are waiting to be called. Starting this November 2021, MTA will only hire new applicants if they are vaccinated. 

Okay, how about the folks like me who got hired like two months ago, do we still have to be vaccinated too or we can still get weekly tested? I received a call and text message about this that we need to be vaccinated or claim a medical or religious exemption? I'm confused.

4 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Okay, how about the folks like me who got hired like two months ago, do we still have to be vaccinated too or we can still get weekly tested? I received a call and text message about this that we need to be vaccinated or claim a medical or religious exemption? I'm confused.

No, the vaccination mandate will only apply for anyone hired or in the process starting November 14. If you’re already hired before November 14 you will continue to follow the current procedures. 

**Anyone who is currently not vaccinated, and you haven’t taken the employment test, or is nowhere near being called for employment should not stress themselves until the time comes. 

12 hours ago, Flatbush Operator said:

No, the vaccination mandate will only apply for anyone hired or in the process starting November 14. If you’re already hired before November 14 you will continue to follow the current procedures. 

**Anyone who is currently not vaccinated, and you haven’t taken the employment test, or is nowhere near being called for employment should not stress themselves until the time comes. 

Ok, Flatbush operator, thanks for clearing that up and answering my question. I'm going to PM you a question I have. Is that ok?

On 10/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, ActionMike said:

The same would apply for the Mta, if you tried to squeeze past a double parked car and hit the mirror it would be treated as a preventative accident. Mta will train you from the beginning to know the size of your bus, if you don’t think you’ll make it, call the command center & wait for assistance or wait for the car to move. 

This is 100% Factual info. The only way its not your fault is to keep that bus STOPPED.

It depends, bus stopped in bus stop and if it’s properly parked you won’t get blamed, if your sticking out, than you get blamed ( preventable accident) also any off route accident stopped or not is preventable ( unless directed to do so by the command or a dispatcher), if your running hot it can also be preventable even if stopped. 

35 minutes ago, ActionMike said:

It depends, bus stopped in bus stop and if it’s properly parked you won’t get blamed, if your sticking out, than you get blamed ( preventable accident) also any off route accident stopped or not is preventable ( unless directed to do so by the command or a dispatcher), if your running hot it can also be preventable even if stopped. 

It also comes down to who does the report. Last two accidents I had I was hot and killing time and boom, collision. But don’t be TOO hot.

If a car or someone is going to hit your bus, stop and make your bus the fixed object. Bus wasn’t moving, it’s a greater leverage as opposed to your bus moving. 

1 minute ago, SevenEleven said:

It also comes down to who does the report. Last two accidents I had I was hot and killing time and boom, collision. But don’t be TOO hot.

If a car or someone is going to hit your bus, stop and make your bus the fixed object. Bus wasn’t moving, it’s a greater leverage as opposed to your bus moving. 

That's the first thing they'll ask you when you call it in.

"Was your bus moving?"

Just pull that brake and sit it out. 

Hey everyone . They called me processing for this exam 9604 and I went in for the appointment and I didn’t have my permit with me so they gave me a paper and told me get my Cdl permit and call the nunber on the paper . I got my permit and been trying to call the nunber and no one is answering . I emailed employmentcenterbuses@nyct.com as well attaching my Cdl permit and the letter they gave and they haven’t gotten back to me either . Anyway I could contact them ? Any nunber to call ?

thank you for the help !

7 minutes ago, Anu said:

Hey everyone . They called me processing for this exam 9604 and I went in for the appointment and I didn’t have my permit with me so they gave me a paper and told me get my Cdl permit and call the nunber on the paper . I got my permit and been trying to call the nunber and no one is answering . I emailed employmentcenterbuses@nyct.com as well attaching my Cdl permit and the letter they gave and they haven’t gotten back to me either . Anyway I could contact them ? Any nunber to call ?

thank you for the help !

I would call continuously. That's the only way I got through. I would call and then hang up and try again nonstop. A lot of them are working from home. Eventually you'll get through. I did.

3 hours ago, Anu said:

thank you for the help !

First of all, welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you on board!

Second, as a result of my list number for this particular list being in the 600's, I also got an invitation for processing - the only problem is that I'm unavailable when they have me scheduled! I tried calling them to re-schedule, kept getting a busy signal, regardless of which specific number I tried, and I already sent them six [6] emails, just today alone.

Like @BoRi1976 said, I would try to continuously reach out to them and see what happens. Even if they're still working from home, they should at least respond to one of the multiple e-mails which I sent them, right?

On 9/22/2021 at 4:31 PM, BoRi1976 said:

Day 7 all done👍 Qualified early. Now I have to go to Eastchester. Anyone know hows the parking out there? Thx in advance

Congrats ! I’m currently in the training process and once I’m qualified I’ll be heading to eastcHester also. What should I expect of it ? Any pointers you can provide to me !? Thank you! 

1 hour ago, kd1234 said:

Congrats ! I’m currently in the training process and once I’m qualified I’ll be heading to eastcHester also. What should I expect of it ? Any pointers you can provide to me !? Thank you! 

Although I'm going to let someone who's been through this recently share their feedback, have you considered looking at the YouTube videos and the handouts in this thread?

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

16 hours ago, kd1234 said:

As for someone that just completed the Eastchester training@+Young+ pretty much covered it. All the videos in that thread were extremely helpful and I added a few videos of my own with updated info and a color coded cheat sheet to help locate every undercarriage part. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or on the YouTube Videos I did. There are a total of 5 short videos to help out. www.youtube.com/borigotskillz

Edited by +Young+
Hyperlinked YouTube Link