B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello wondering if anyone on here can provide an update on when they will start calling again. I went in on 11/15 for day 1 and havent heard anything when I call the DCAS number it says im currently on an outstanding certification for exam 9604 but i havent been called in for Day 2 yet. Im currently an OA operator but looking forward to moving to TA. Any thoughts or reccomendations on how if at all possible I can speed up the process? 

Thank you in advance. 

5 hours ago, The Saniter said:

Got you. Would that also be the case for somebody who gets hired by MABSTOA. Are they limited to the Bronx and Manhattan or could they be sent anywhere?

OA can work in the Brooklyn TA depots and vice versa. As a TA operator though, you can also be sent to Staten Island or TA Queens. Here’s the thing though:

If you’re towards the bottom of your class for seniority (let’s say the last 4) and Staten Island has 4 spots open and the rest of your class takes everything else, then guess where you’re going)

If you’re trying to avoid express, then definitely stay out of Staten Island. Only other TA depots that have express are Ulmer Park and Queens Village. Everywhere else is straight local. Driving express isn’t that bad though. 

On 1/11/2022 at 8:25 PM, SevenEleven said:

OA can work in the Brooklyn TA depots and vice versa. As a TA operator though, you can also be sent to Staten Island or TA Queens. Here’s the thing though:

If you’re towards the bottom of your class for seniority (let’s say the last 4) and Staten Island has 4 spots open and the rest of your class takes everything else, then guess where you’re going)

If you’re trying to avoid express, then definitely stay out of Staten Island. Only other TA depots that have express are Ulmer Park and Queens Village. Everywhere else is straight local. Driving express isn’t that bad though. 

Them express dudes be parking at Quill 

some do one trip, park the bus, swing for like 6 hours do one more trip and that’s their day. 

must be nice 

On 1/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, KDGallagher said:

some do one trip, park the bus, swing for like 6 hours do one more trip and that’s their day. 

must be nice 

It's not bad but it does take a long time to be able to pick those runs. Unless it has like TW off, then it's easier to get them, lol.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:22 AM, KDGallagher said:

must be nice 

That's what I do.. The X27/37  1 on 1 trip.  

Edited by MTA Move NY

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone glad to finally have joined. 

My list number is 5x, I was first canvassed in September 2020 but didn’t have my P endorsement. I was recanvassed and went to Livingston on October 27th but had pending tickets. I have questions about the 19A certification I see it says 9 points disqualifies you, is that 9 active points that they count within the past 3 years, or 9 overall points?

I was an Uber driver for 6 years so I have lots of old points 17 to be exact that down at Livingston I was told do not matter since they’re outside of the 3 year window. 

Also Livingston said the limit is no more than 6 points now. Im emailing and calling but can’t get a hold of anyone to reschedule my initial appointments. 

Also already have an A license with air brakes, med cert, I have P - endorsement permit and would need to pass a road test with the bus according to the dmv?

On 1/31/2022 at 4:01 PM, JRev529 said:

Hello everyone glad to finally have joined. 

My list number is 5x, I was first canvassed in September 2020 but didn’t have my P endorsement. I was recanvassed and went to Livingston on October 27th but had pending tickets. I have questions about the 19A certification I see it says 9 points disqualifies you, is that 9 active points that they count within the past 3 years, or 9 overall points?

I was an Uber driver for 6 years so I have lots of old points 17 to be exact that down at Livingston I was told do not matter since they’re outside of the 3 year window. 

Also Livingston said the limit is no more than 6 points now. Im emailing and calling but can’t get a hold of anyone to reschedule my initial appointments. 

Also already have an A license with air brakes, med cert, I have P - endorsement permit and would need to pass a road test with the bus according to the dmv?

Yes, If you successfully qualified the initial on-the road training with MTA on Days, 7, 9 or 10. You will be scheduled to take a DMV road test. While you're waiting for the road test schedule, The MTA will continue and prepared you the NYS DMV CDL Road test.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Jonny Stoof said:

Anyone know when they’re gonna call again?

I cleared my medical hold on Jan 20 and was told I had to be added back to the list and wait to be canvassed again. 

Just from my personal experience. You must reach out to them for them to put you back on the list. I had the same situation occur and I had to follow up via email multiple times to get put back on the list 

What email did you have to use to contact MTA to re open your Bus Operator Exam? They called me to do my paperwork in April 2021 but I didn't do it because of a situation I was dealing with at the time. I tried to call the Employment Center phone number and no answer. Does anyone know the email to contact? Exam # 9604 and List # 2xx

On 2/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, BlueCQ25 said:

What email did you have to use to contact MTA to re open your Bus Operator Exam? They called me to do my paperwork in April 2021 but I didn't do it because of a situation I was dealing with at the time. I tried to call the Employment Center phone number and no answer. Does anyone know the email to contact? Exam # 9604 and List # 2xx

lmacustomerservice@dcas.nyc.gov

Email them with your first and last name, last 4 of SSN#, Exam # and List # and ask to be restored to the list. 

6 hours ago, Jonny Stoof said:

lmacustomerservice@dcas.nyc.gov

Email them with your first and last name, last 4 of SSN#, Exam # and List # and ask to be restored to the list. 

Thank you! I just emailed them now. I hope they get back to me soon. I just renewed my CDL permit and it's only good till the middle of April. Also are they mandating the vaccine or are they still offering a testing option? Someone I know working for MTA as a Bus Operator isn't vaccinated and doing weekly testing so I'm just curious. 

1 hour ago, BlueCQ25 said:

Thank you! I just emailed them now. I hope they get back to me soon. I just renewed my CDL permit and it's only good till the middle of April. Also are they mandating the vaccine or are they still offering a testing option? Someone I know working for MTA as a Bus Operator isn't vaccinated and doing weekly testing so I'm just curious. 

Vaccination is required for all new employees 

On 2/8/2022 at 11:28 PM, MTA Move NY said:

Yes, If you successfully qualified the initial on-the road training with MTA on Days, 7, 9 or 10. You will be scheduled to take a DMV road test. While you're waiting for the road test schedule, The MTA will continue and prepared you the NYS DMV CDL Road test.

Thank you, I just received notice from a ronald st Jean that there are no TA vacancies and I have to wait for vacancies and also reinstate my name to the list. Im hoping to hear from them soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kenstyles said:

how much time is there between day 1 of processing (drug test) and day 2 of processing (medical) for NYCTA

I went for day 1 on Nov 3 and got called back for day 2 on Nov 12. 

Be prepared to be there allllll day. Bring snacks and a phone charger lol

Edited by Jonny Stoof