B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

18 hours ago, Mr Marta said:

You will make it don’t stress it, a lot of ppl make it seem like not passing on day 7 is a big deal..passing on  day 9 no different i remember passing on day 9 everybody else in my class pass day 7…..10 yrs later I’m the only one left meanwhile everybody else didn’t even make it through probation 

Thank you. I appreciate.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, HeadhunterCali said:

Hey so how did it go? Also what paperwork you had to fill out on day 0?? I thought we was done with all that! 😫

it went well. so on orientation more paperwork. day 1 more paper work all the way until road test. every day of the training you have to do a diary/report like a report card on what you learn. So every paper they give you at zerega including the book you have to take every day of the training.

Edited by misslo

Day 2 - I got a little better at driving the bus. My turns and speed be (driving too fast)i got to work on,  as well brush up on my air brakes ALSAPS whatever that's called.

He made one of the guys drive on the highway straight to the bronx (zerega) from Queens. I was like "Is he serious?" *blink blink*  He's a good instructor

I am the only girl - woman rather. But umm for the guys, men, he, they, them. Yall be f*cking up driving a bus. Not understanding the assignment. So you all be driving trucks, box trucks, UPS, construction truck, driving long time, making bad turns and have people reversing out of a bad turn *whince*  Also yall get real excited to drive a bus, just braggadocio and bombastic. Like kids in a candyshop. We all have cellphones  but be finding it difficult to familiarise yourself with the buttons (they have symbols on it) on the bus already. Cant remember where parking brake is. 

As for the bus itself *strokes chin* Putting the indicators at the driver's left feet is awkward and a really bad design, it's too manual. Allegedly the pandemic is over, so i guess they can move that inner glass it's blocking the mirror.

How come I can just waltz in the depot and just be walking around and no one ask if I am supposed to be here. I know why but still. Sh*t I be walking onto these buses and pay no fare:unsure:

As for me and my house, Maybe its the Gemini I am but I am bored already.

Back to studying my air brakes.:rock:

5 hours ago, misslo said:

Day 2 - I got a little better at driving the bus. My turns and speed be (driving too fast)i got to work on,  as well brush up on my air brakes ALSAPS whatever that's called.

Back to studying my air brakes.:rock:

Have you considered watching this YouTube video, especially the first four minutes and forty seconds? What's good is that for Day 9, there is no pre-trip whatsoever. Therefore, if you get it, great! If not, just focus on everything else and you'll focus more on this after the initial 10-Day training session and your road test.

As far as the buttons with the symbols, have you considered looking at the handouts, specifically the third to last image in the first post? As far as the indicators, also known as directional signals, it is standard for Transit buses to have them at the driver's left feet. Although you are training on an Orion bus, if you watch this YouTube video at approximately 4 minutes, 18 seconds to 4 minutes, 20 seconds, and if you view this post, they are located in the same place on the Gilligan and New Flyer Transit buses as well. Similarly, if you check out this picture, which comes from this website, the Nova buses are very similar as well. Sorry.

Good luck!! If you have any other questions, or if you are unsure of anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Edited by +Young+
Addition

17 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Have you considered watching this YouTube video, especially the first four minutes and forty seconds? What's good is that for Day 9, there is no pre-trip whatsoever. Therefore, if you get it, great! If not, just focus on everything else and you'll focus more on this after the initial 10-Day training session and your road test.

As far as the buttons with the symbols, have you considered looking at the handouts, specifically the third to last image in the first post? As far as the indicators, also known as directional signals, it is standard for Transit buses to have them at the driver's left feet. Although you are training on an Orion bus, if you watch this YouTube video at approximately 4 minutes, 18 seconds to 4 minutes, 20 seconds, and if you view this post, they are located in the same place on the Gilligan and New Flyer Transit buses as well. Similarly, if you check out this picture, which comes from this website, the Nova buses are very similar as well. Sorry.

Good luck!! If you have any other questions, or if you are unsure of anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks you .

So today was day 7. I failed. Onto day 9 I go.  My initial instructor he was really good. Threw us in the Lion's Den real quick. He is knowledgeable. I enjoyed his teachings. I got an experience. Cant say I never drove a bus.  So Monday came and we had to get a new trainer. We started off very late. Threw my day and really threw the week off. He was cool he knows more than me. I am a little perplexed as to what are the criteria in passing with the MTA road test. The second instructor I had said i made great improvements for the couple days i have been with him. 

Anyways my faults. Not slowing down when pedestrians are crossing, forward planning and proper lane change and more scanning of mirrors frequently.

So downtown has some tight turns i pass through them rather smoothly and rather carefully, My turns were really good for someone who just start driving a bus.

The student almost swiped a MTA bus granted the MTA park low right at the corner. He passed.

The other student never yield to emergency vehicles, running yellow light.

The other student gear was in reverse, the trolly brake had to be pulled a few times, lane changes, almost tearing off the side/tail end of the bus.

Yesterday I was the only who had a lot of unsatisfactory. It sucks.

But nah all of us had mixed results. I knew I wasn't going to do well. Really if all of us had a failed I could see why. 

But a student came really came dangerously close to hitting a bus but they passed. Cool story bruh. FOHWTB.

I am not jealous or angry at the student who passed, that's their journey, no hater sh*t. I hope he does well. He was happy to be here.

25 minutes ago, misslo said:

So today was day 7. I failed. Onto day 9 I go.  My initial instructor he was really good. Threw us in the Lion's Den real quick. He is knowledgeable. I enjoyed his teachings. I got an experience. Cant say I never drove a bus.  So Monday came and we had to get a new trainer. We started off very late. Threw my day and really threw the week off. He was cool he knows more than me. I am a little perplexed as to what are the criteria in passing with the MTA road test. The second instructor I had said i made great improvements for the couple days i have been with him. 

Anyways my faults. Not slowing down when pedestrians are crossing, forward planning and proper lane change and more scanning of mirrors frequently.

So downtown has some tight turns i pass through them rather smoothly and rather carefully, My turns were really good for someone who just start driving a bus.

The student almost swiped a MTA bus granted the MTA park low right at the corner. He passed.

The other student gear was in reverse, the trolly brake had to be pulled a few times, lane changes, almost tearing off the side/tail end of the bus.

But nah all of us had mixed results. I knew I wasn't going to do well. Really if all of us had a failed I could see why. 

But a student came really came dangerously close to hitting a bus but they passed. Cool story bruh. FOHWTB.

I am not jealous or angry at the student who passed, that's their journey, no hater sh*t. I hope he does well. He was happy to be here.

You are going to pass day 9 no worries, passing day 7 means nothing don’t forget what I told you a few posts ago, out of  all my classmates I was the only one who failed day7 10 years later im the only one who is still here as they all failed during probation and one was terminated two years in 

38 minutes ago, misslo said:

Don't think too much about it. Day 8 will be used to correct the remaining faults that you had during the first 7 days. i passed on Day 9 and that was after having to squeeze my way through two parked vehicles... So tight, that my superintendent actually got off the bus and guided me through. You will make it through. Tips for 8 and 9:

Spend Day 8 asking all the questions you have with your new superintendent. Like I said, that day is for correction. Have them show you a different way of handling the same situation that you're having trouble with. Take your time driving. You'll be at a new depot maybe transversing new territory.

Day 9 will be in the city. Scan your mirrors A LOT. If your supt is telling you scan more, scan a lot more. They want to see your head moving back and forth. You must slow down and be prepared to stop (and even stop) for any hazard. Peds, bikes, cars, rats, roaches, whatever. Call them out, slow it down as you pass and if you need to, put the 4 feet of space in between them and the bus. If any hazard is within 4 feet, you must call them out and stop or change lanes until they are away from your bus. While you are passing any hazard, you must watch them in the mirror as you go past. Look forward, then track them in the mirror.

On forward planning: Think about the next 20 seconds around your bus and the couple of blocks ahead of you. They want to see you pick up on hazards or anything else that you would have to pay more attention to. For example, you see a double parked car that you will have to go around. Call out the car, and then start setting up to change lanes. You want to time up your lane change so that you don't have to stop behind the double parked car and at the same time, you spend as least amount of time possible with your right side open.

Lane changes: Scan your mirrors, figure out where you're going to change lanes at, scan again and then effect your movement left or right. Don't wait for the moment to arrive to change lanes. (Like with the double parked car scenario) If you're on 80th Street and you know you have to turn on 86th Street, you should already be in the proper lane by 83rd/84th Street. You want to get your lane changing thought of and done early so you don't get caught up.

Crossing Peds: Slow down and stop for them. If they're crossing in the middle of the street, they will cross in front of your bus and not care. Adjust your operation for them. Scan your right side mirror for a bike that might come. Scan your left side for cars passing. The ped might see either or, last minute and the next thing is that they're either continuing across the street or they're going to retreat back to the sidewalk. If they retreat, you're already prepared to stop (or should be stopped already if they're in the 4 feet). In the crosswalk, just stop until it's clear before proceeding. This way, you keep your bus straight to monitor any bikes on the right side, any other pedesterians and have a better angle on the left side to view traffic using you mirror. When its safe to proceed, do the 3-5 mph and continue scanning the crosswalk and around your bus for anything more that you would have to stop for.

Good luck

During line training and learning the routes, we got a book with the turns but we wont be able to have a book at the steering wheel, anyone have any tips or strategies to learn the routes quicker, any type of advice would be very appreciated 

1 hour ago, Kkg said:

During line training and learning the routes, we got a book with the turns but we wont be able to have a book at the steering wheel, anyone have any tips or strategies to learn the routes quicker, any type of advice would be very appreciated 

Are you in SI? If so pm me your email I’ll send you turn cards I made. 3” x 6”. You can cut em and laminate em and keep it on the dash. 

1 hour ago, Kkg said:

I am guessing this website https://bustime.mta.info/#b2 

3 hours ago, HeadhunterCali said:

@misslo Hey update? Did you pass day 9/10? You went MIA after your day7 update, hoping you'll have good news to share with the rest of us!! 😊

Nope no good news. I almost had it both times. It was difficult, challenging, but it was nothing I could not do. It was the best and worst of times all at the same time. I had the same people from orientation in my class except for one guy. My class was cool, we helped each other, boosted each others spirits, one of the guys gave me a ride to downtown Brooklyn everyday, Another gave me cash to buy food from a store that only accepted cash. :)  We meshed well as a group. I wish them guys the best.

Now onto the training itself. I am glad those who passed and move on to the next stage do well. A lot of people are knowledgeable but don't have that teachable spirit. There were a few mentions of some of the instructors are tough. It tinkers on verbal abuse. There is no uniformity in teaching methods, imparting information to students.

The instructor i had the first week was cool, knowledgeable, fun, charismatic person, i liked listening to him - like an old head telling stories. Told you when you wrong and definitely let you know when you did good. It went downhill for me when we had to get to know a new instructor, me reversing in an intersection - lex and 126th. it was a limp dick moment. I was up sh*ts creek from then on. I had a bubble gum popping 'rican intstructor. After that they demonstrated how they would have made their turns. Today i miscalculated a light on white plains road and was over the white line. *sucks teeth*. Everything came together for me too late

Yall were really helpful on this board. I appreciate that.

To future BO's. Its a lot of information to take in. When you get to go in a class and you get your instructor, take all the information in, try not to ask your instructor too many questions especially stupid and unnecessary ones. They say no question is a dumb question. Thats a lie. Read the books. The big one and little one. Driver manual and the vehicle manual. For CLP's, you dont have to familiarize your self with airbrakes as yet. Focus on ALSAPS after you pass MTA road test. But do get to know your pre-trip (exterior of the bus). By day 3 you should know ALSAPS but the instructors arent going to press you on that. Arrive to your depot early and swipe in as soon as you arrive.

Anyway thats all i can remember for now. I am going to process my emotions and try and come down from this anxiety thats still in my chest and head.

1 hour ago, misslo said:

Anyway thats all i can remember for now. I am going to process my emotions and try and come down from this anxiety thats still in my chest and head.

My sincere condolences. My thoughts and prayers are with you, especially during the next couple of days and weeks. I will be sending you a Private Message (PM) shortly. If you can send me a reply, I would appreciate it.

4 hours ago, Kkg said:

As far as the pictures of the routes are concerned, here they are for The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. In addition to printing out the maps, which are located towards the end of the PDF documents, you have to rely on "landmarks" as well. Here are a few examples:

For the Q88, going Southbound, you make a left turn onto 73rd Avenue, which is where Alley Park ends. (If you don't believe me, do a Google Search of Springfield Blvd and 73rd Avenue).

-For the same route, you make a right turn once you see a shopping center which is perpendicular of 73rd Avenue, which is along 188th Street.

-For the same route, be prepared to make a left turn onto Horace Harding Expressway (Westbound) after you go through the two roundabouts on 188th Street, after servicing the Bus Stop at 188th Street/Horace Harding Expressway (Eastbound).

For the Q44-SBS in Jamaica, going Southbound:

-You make a left turn onto Queens Boulevard after passing Archbishop Molloy High School and the Briarwood branch of the Queens Public Library.

-You make a left turn onto Hillside Avenue, after passing the Ford dealership, where you will see a Mobil Gas Station and a KFC Fast Food Place across the street. (Going Northbound, there is a Toyota dealership which you can't miss, which is where you make the right turn).

-You make a right turn onto Sutphin Blvd. at the "T" intersection, where the HSBC bank is located.

-You make a left turn onto Archer Avenue right before the overpass, which consist of the multiple tracks for the Jamaica LIRR Station.

Finally, if you need help figuring out what routes your Depot operate, click here or here. I have used "landmarks" in the private sector at my various jobs, and they have been nothing but "wonders."

Again, @misslo, my sincere condolences. I know how you feel, especially since I went through the same thing close to 8 1/2 years ago.

Edited by +Young+
Addition