B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, leaniel3209 said:

Ohh im familiar i was raised in ny and know the 5 boroughs

The reason why I ask is because, in order to better prepare you for the memorization section, a while ago I made some memory questions using the individualized bus maps which can be found on the top-right of this page. I'm least familiar with Brooklyn, Bronx and Staten Island, so I focused on those three boroughs.

Just a suggestion...

7 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

The reason why I ask is because, in order to better prepare you for the memorization section, a while ago I made some memory questions using the individualized bus maps which can be found on the top-right of this page. I'm least familiar with Brooklyn, Bronx and Staten Island, so I focused on those three boroughs.

Just a suggestion...

Hi Young,

What type of questions will be in the memorization section? do you need to memorize all the bus routes in every borough? Thanks for your help.

3 hours ago, falcondrgn said:

Hi Young,

What type of questions will be in the memorization section? do you need to memorize all the bus routes in every borough? Thanks for your help.

So what's going to happen is they're going to administer the memory booklets first closed. At the designated time, you will have ten (10) minutes to study the picture, aka, page four of this NYPD test prep kit without any writing whatsoever. At the end of ten minutes, they will have you close the book, collect it, and then they will distribute the rest of the exam, aka, pages 5 to 36 of this NYPD test prep kit. With that said, you will have to rely on your memory to answer the memorization questions.

There is no need to memorize all the bus routes in every borough. The item(s) you need to memorize will be provided on the day of the examination. As far as the type of questions, that we don't know. It all depends on what the memory booklets consist of.

Edited by +Young+

1 minute ago, +Young+ said:

So what's going to happen is, if there's a memorization section, they're going to administer the memory booklets first closed. At the designated time, you will have ten (10) minutes to study the picture, aka, page four of this NYPD test prep kit without any writing whatsoever. At the end of ten minutes, they will have you close the book, collect it, and then they will distribute the rest of the exam, aka, pages 5 to 36 of this NYPD test prep kit. With that said, you will have to rely on your memory to answer the memorization questions.

There is no need to memorize all the bus routes in every borough. The item(s) you need to memorize will be provided on the day of the examination, if there's a memorization section.

Thank you for that valuable insight. Out of the 3 times that you took the test, how many times did they have the memorization section? Thank you

Just now, falcondrgn said:

Thank you for that valuable insight. Out of the 3 times that you took the test, how many times did they have the memorization section? Thank you

The last two Bus Operator tests (4600 & 7612) had memorization portions. As far as I recall, the 2613 exam did not have a memorization portion.

2 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

The last two Bus Operator tests (4600 & 7612) had memorization portions. As far as I recall, the 2613 exam did not have a memorization portion.

Ok so it seems they are most likely going to administer the memorization sections going forward now. I am currently studying from this book https://www.amazon.com/York-City-Operator-Review-Guide/dp/154428831X/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543797718&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=nyc+bus+operator+exam+book&psc=1, im not sure if you have seen this book or not, but if you how does this book compare to the green passbooks you mentioned? Thank you so much for your help.

30 minutes ago, falcondrgn said:

Ok so it seems they are most likely going to administer the memorization sections going forward now. I am currently studying from this book https://www.amazon.com/York-City-Operator-Review-Guide/dp/154428831X/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543797718&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=nyc+bus+operator+exam+book&psc=1, im not sure if you have seen this book or not, but if you how does this book compare to the green passbooks you mentioned? Thank you so much for your help.

The green passbooks are old, useless and outdated. From reading the reviews, I'm neutral since one of them did say that you would get the same information in a DMV book.

In addition, from "looking inside" with the link that you provided, the multiple-choice test description on page 3 is an exact copy of the bottom of the second page of this Notice of Examination, which is over five years old, and the terms in the glossary were not on any of the previous Bus Operator exams that I took for NYC Transit.

Therefore, I requested a copy out of my local library since I'm curious myself, however I'm personally not relying on that to study for this examination.

Edited by +Young+

4 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

The green passbooks are old, useless and outdated. From reading the reviews, I'm neutral since one of them did say that you would get the same information in a DMV book.

In addition, from "looking inside" with the link that you provided, the multiple-choice test description on page 3 is an exact copy of the bottom of the second page of this Notice of Examination, which is over five years old, and the terms in the glossary were not on any of the previous Bus Operator exams that I took for NYC Transit.

Therefore, I requested a copy out of my local library since I'm curious myself, however I'm personally not relying on that to study for this examination.

Thank you for taking the time to go through the book I posted, what would be the best way for you to study for this exam besides the Police exams mentioned earlier? I took the police exam 3 years ago and scored a 93 but I didn't study any books for that exam. Just curious what other books are out there that could help. Thank you.

1 hour ago, falcondrgn said:

Thank you for taking the time to go through the book I posted, what would be the best way for you to study for this exam besides the Police exams mentioned earlier? I took the police exam 3 years ago and scored a 93 but I didn't study any books for that exam. Just curious what other books are out there that could help. Thank you.

From my experience, just the on-line material I posted earlier. Sorry...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, train1290 said:

Just going to wish anyone taking this exam this coming up sunday the best of luck. Anyone else taking this exam this coming up Sunday?

I am!  Looking forward to it, though I still need how to figure out how to get there from here (NW Bronx).  😊 Good luck to you, too!

2 hours ago, train1290 said:

Just going to wish anyone taking this exam this coming up sunday the best of luck. Anyone else taking this exam this coming up Sunday?

We all are. I'm taking it in the PM at the same location.

39 minutes ago, La Diva Carlotta said:

I am!  Looking forward to it, though I still need how to figure out how to get there from here (NW Bronx).  😊 Good luck to you, too!

As a suggestion, you can take the Q44 SBS (which terminates at the Bronx Zoo) to Sutphin Blvd/Archer Ave. in Queens. From there, you can take the (J) train to 75th Street/Elders Lane. They are doing track work along the (J) line this weekend, however it's going towards Manhattan and it's west of Myrtle Avenue, so we're good!!

In addition, @La Diva Carlotta, have you tried using TripPlanner?

10 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

We all are. I'm taking it in the PM at the same location.

As a suggestion, you can take the Q44 SBS (which terminates at the Bronx Zoo) to Sutphin Blvd/Archer Ave. in Queens. From there, you can take the (J) train to 75th Street/Elders Lane. They are doing track work along the (J) line this weekend, however it's going towards Manhattan and it's west of Myrtle Avenue, so we're good!!

In addition, @La Diva Carlotta, have you tried using TripPlanner?

Thanks for the suggestion!  I just hadn't gotten around to TripPlanner yet.  👍

Any fellow 9604 exam takers or exp people, 

If someone moved and doesn't have access to their old address' mailbox, and they work a 9 to 5 in  Queens where it won't be possible to get to Livingston in Brooklyn before the closing office hours, are there any alternatives that he/she could do? 

Thank you

3 hours ago, London bridge is said:

Any fellow 9604 exam takers or exp people,

If someone moved and doesn't have access to their old address' mailbox, and they work a 9 to 5 in  Queens where it won't be possible to get to Livingston in Brooklyn before the closing office hours, are there any alternatives that he/she could do?

Thank you

I would advise you to get in contact with them to see where your test is being administered and what time you need to report to the school. Although you work 9 to 5, you can either e-mail or call them. Their contact information is located on the bottom of this page.

Good luck!

Hey everyone first time posting on this site, Am taking this exam also this Sunday I was just wondering the following

I have a cdl permit with passenger and school bus endorsement however I have M P restrictions will this cause be a problem?

p.s -I know all cdl license have restrictions , just wanna make sure am ok  

3 hours ago, Amal said:

Hey everyone first time posting on this site, Am taking this exam also this Sunday I was just wondering the following

I have a cdl permit with passenger and school bus endorsement however I have M P restrictions will this cause be a problem?

p.s -I know all cdl license have restrictions , just wanna make sure am ok  

First of all, welcome @Amal to the Forums!

Second, to answer your question, you already have a Class A CDL, correct? If so, according to this page, your "M" & "P" restrictions for the permit are acceptable. The "p" restriction will come off once you successfully pass your road test.