B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

8 hours ago, +Young+ said:

First of all, welcome @Amal to the Forums!

Second, to answer your question, you already have a Class A CDL, correct? If so, according to this page, your "M" & "P" restrictions for the permit are acceptable. The "p" restriction will come off once you successfully pass your road test.

Hey Young, I have a Class B permit with passenger and school bus endorsement, I just wanted to make sure that my M and P restrictions weren't going to affect my ability to take the exam thank you for clearing this up with me.

Also I wanted to know weather am right about this, The MTA will also give us a boss exam after, and in the past that usually something they would call you back to take,does this mean we would hear back sooner in terms of being hired?  after all they did extend the filing for both the full time and part positions thank you for any feedback 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Amal said:

Also I wanted to know weather am right about this, The MTA will also give us a boss exam after, and in the past that usually something they would call you back to take,does this mean we would hear back sooner in terms of being hired?  after all they did extend the filing for both the full time and part positions thank you for any feedback 

If you look at your admission notice, you will be taking the BOSS and the civil service examination together. As far as hearing back sooner in terms of being hired, it all depends on how fast they move with the previous list, Exam 7612, in addition to how you do on this exam (higher the score = lower your list number).

3 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

If you look at your admission notice, you will be taking the BOSS and the civil service examination together. As far as hearing back sooner in terms of being hired, it all depends on how fast they move with the previous list, Exam 7612, in addition to how you do on this exam (higher the score = lower your list number).

Thank you for the insight Young, Ill be spending the rest of my day studying from the NYPD Test preparation kit, as well as Bus Operator book from Lewis Morris I know it isn't the best but it does give some good insight into what to expect. 

54 minutes ago, Boeing said:

I took the test today at Midwood HS in the morning. Was wondering is it suppose to be only 60 question in the booklet besides BOSS?

The instructions on the test booklets front page states that we are responsible to ensure that the booklet was intact and complete with sixty (60) questions. 

My proctor also said this was the first time MTA instituted both tests (BOSS and civil service exam) to be taken on one day. I wonder why they did that? 

2 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

The instructions on the test booklets front page states that we are responsible to ensure that the booklet was intact and complete with sixty (60) questions. 

My proctor also said this was the first time MTA instituted both tests (BOSS and civil service exam) to be taken on one day. I wonder why they did that? 

My proctor mentioned that due to all the rescheduling of the boss exam and the logistics involved with makeup surveys that that was the reason they decided to run both at the same time this time. My exam also was 60 questions as mentioned on the exam booklet. 

39 minutes ago, falcondrgn said:

There was def 2 errors on the test i found, as for the memory test i actually thought this was much easier than the police memory test. 

I can’t recall any errors. Is this the place to be speaking about test questions or should we have to wait for after the sabbath observers? 

1 hour ago, falcondrgn said:

There was def 2 errors on the test i found, as for the memory test i actually thought this was much easier than the police memory test. 

Which ones did you spot? I'm not sure if it was just me (I was pretty tired this morning), but on one of the questions, the 4 answer choices were the exactly the same.  

7 hours ago, Boeing said:

I took the test today at Midwood HS in the morning. Was wondering is it suppose to be only 60 question in the booklet besides BOSS?

The last Bus Operator Exam they administered, Exam 7612 was 80 questions. However, only 2,847 people passed that exam, and that does not include those who did not take nor fail the BOSS exam (at least from my perspective). This number is worse than the amount of people who passed Exam 2613, which was the first Bus Operator Exam the MTA administered, in which 3,621 people passed that exam. Therefore, with the fewer questions, they were probably hoping they would get a lot more candidates to make a healthier list like Exam 4600, which had approximately 8,221 people on that list.

6 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

In addition to the rescheduling and all of the logistics, as previously mentioned, from reading the 7612 thread, they are still have people taking the BOSS for that exam, even though the list has already been published. Go figure...

2 hours ago, La Diva Carlotta said:

So, what did you folks think of the test - both the civil service and BOSS?  The BOSS was as expected but the actual test test was crazy!   🤣  I think I caught a couple of errors.  Anyone notice any mistakes?

At first, I thought I did, but then I looked at the question(s) two or three times and I realized how tricky they were - I plan on attending the Protest session, so we'll see what happens...

2 hours ago, leaniel3209 said:

They shouldnt be giving that survey specially with memory  thats good for a police test its ridiculous...

I agree...I was more awake when I first walked into the school and was more sleepy after the BOSS, since I finished the exam within 10 minutes and had to "sit" there for the remaining 60 minutes...it's really amazing as far as how the Examinations Department care about themselves and not the general public who are trying to get a job with the company...

Edited by +Young+

It was rainy and I almost got ran over :( A bit shaken up. I was late Sat in the seat at 3:04pm

the test wasn't bad, the memory part, the first 6 question and the bus schedule that was (queens) was fugazzi. 51 - 54 I think I guessed that. There were errors in that part, there were a few grammatical errors and a few answer errors. Yes there were 60 questions and 75 on the boss. I finished at 7:30pm and managed to scribble the answers on the green paper.

Edited by misslo

23 hours ago, +Young+ said:

The last Bus Operator Exam they administered, Exam 7612 was 80 questions. However, only 2,847 people passed that exam, and that does not include those who did not take nor fail the BOSS exam (at least from my perspective). This number is worse than the amount of people who passed Exam 2613, which was the first Bus Operator Exam the MTA administered, in which 3,621 people passed that exam. Therefore, with the fewer questions, they were probably hoping they would get a lot more candidates to make a healthier list like Exam 4600, which had approximately 8,221 people on that list.

In addition to the rescheduling and all of the logistics, as previously mentioned, from reading the 7612 thread, they are still have people taking the BOSS for that exam, even though the list has already been published. Go figure...

Historically, how long thereafter the protest on Jan 25 will they establish the list? Do they exhaust the old one before they start hiring from 9604 or do they hire from multiple lists? It's going to be interesting to see how they will promulgate our list being that we've completed both the civil service and BOSS tests in one shot as opposed to the last test where they didn't. 

12 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

Historically, how long thereafter the protest on Jan 25 will they establish the list? Do they exhaust the old one before they start hiring from 9604 or do they hire from multiple lists? It's going to be interesting to see how they will promulgate our list being that we've completed both the civil service and BOSS tests in one shot as opposed to the last test where they didn't. 

There is no specific answer. If you look at the Notice of Examination for Bus Operator Exam 4600, and if you type "4600" in the search box on the top right of this NYC Open Data website, you'll see that the list for that exam was established a little over 2 years after the initial examination was given. In addition, if you look at the Notice of Examination for Bus Operator 7612 and if you type "7612" in the search box of the NYC Open Data website, you'll see that the list for 7612 was established about a year after the administration of that examination.

The good news though is that the list for Bus Operator Exam 7612, which was administered prior to this exam, contains 2,847 names. Therefore, hopefully the HR Department at 180 Livingston Street will move through this list quickly so the list for this exam can be published sooner.

For the second part of your question, they can hire from multiple lists providing the list has not expired. As an example, although the HR Department has finished calling people from the B/O 4600 list, according to the B/O 4600 thread, that list does not expire until January of 2020. Therefore, they started hiring people from the B/O 7612 list. According to the B/O 7612 thread, in particular this post, someone was hired and was given a class date of January 7th, 2019.

In addition, there are some folks, like myself, who are able to restore their name to the B/O 4600 list. If an individual decides to do this, he/she will have first priority depending on who else from the B/O 4600 list restores their name to the list, since they go by your list number, respectively.

As far as promulgating our list - the only comment I personally have is that they still have to follow the civil service rules and regulations of the city. IMHO, we just don't have to go back to them a second time for the BOSS exam.

2 hours ago, +Young+ said:

There is no specific answer. If you look at the Notice of Examination for Bus Operator Exam 4600, and if you type "4600" in the search box on the top right of this NYC Open Data website, you'll see that the list for that exam was established a little over 2 years after the initial examination was given. In addition, if you look at the Notice of Examination for Bus Operator 7612 and if you type "7612" in the search box of the NYC Open Data website, you'll see that the list for 7612 was established about a year after the administration of that examination.

The good news though is that the list for Bus Operator Exam 7612, which was administered prior to this exam, contains 2,847 names. Therefore, hopefully the HR Department at 180 Livingston Street will move through this list quickly so the list for this exam can be published sooner.

For the second part of your question, they can hire from multiple lists providing the list has not expired. As an example, although the HR Department has finished calling people from the B/O 4600 list, according to the B/O 4600 thread, that list does not expire until January of 2020. Therefore, they started hiring people from the B/O 7612 list. According to the B/O 7612 thread, in particular this post, someone was hired and was given a class date of January 7th, 2019.

In addition, there are some folks, like myself, who are able to restore their name to the B/O 4600 list. If an individual decides to do this, he/she will have first priority depending on who else from the B/O 4600 list restores their name to the list, since they go by your list number, respectively.

As far as promulgating our list - the only comment I personally have is that they still have to follow the civil service rules and regulations of the city. IMHO, we just don't have to go back to them a second time for the BOSS exam.

Thank you Young. It’s good to know they can hire from multiple lists. It’s even better knowing that we’ve completed both tests on one day. Good stuff man. You’ve been a formidable presence on this forum and you are a wealth of good information. Thank you for your responses. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make regarding whether you should restore or not. 

I like the trend Mr Young. If it took 2 years to establish the list for 4600 and 1 year for 7612, I’m expecting to see my name in the single digits within 6 months 🤣!

On 12/16/2018 at 7:05 PM, La Diva Carlotta said:

So, what did you folks think of the test - both the civil service and BOSS?  The BOSS was as expected but the actual test test was crazy!   🤣  I think I caught a couple of errors.  Anyone notice any mistakes?

QUESTION 43!!!! I memorize that question and I will be down at 180 to protest in JAN.