B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

On 8/15/2018 at 4:24 AM, +Young+ said:

hi , happy holiday to you.  do we need to get a bus permit before the time appointment because it is freezing cold to go to dmv now,lol

how long is the time wait. if i dont get in, i guess i want to work for dot.... it do hard to get  mta or governmental job, I kept trying hard.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

Thank you Young. It’s good to know they can hire from multiple lists. It’s even better knowing that we’ve completed both tests on one day. Good stuff man. You’ve been a formidable presence on this forum and you are a wealth of good information. Thank you for your responses. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make regarding whether you should restore or not. 

I like the trend Mr Young. If it took 2 years to establish the list for 4600 and 1 year for 7612, I’m expecting to see my name in the single digits within 6 months 🤣!

Very nice comment...I actually just restored my name to the B/O 4600 list, therefore I'll keep you folks posted in that thread, respectively.

3 hours ago, Mr Marta said:

QUESTION 43!!!! I memorize that question and I will be down at 180 to protest in JAN.

I also plan on being down there in January as well...

1 hour ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

hi , happy holiday to you.  do we need to get a bus permit before the time appointment because it is freezing cold to go to dmv now,lol

how long is the time wait. if i dont get in, i guess i want to work for dot.... it do hard to get  mta or governmental job, I kept trying hard.

According to the Notice of Examination, by the time of appointment (aka the time you go down to 180 Livingston Street), you need the CDL permit. With the fact that it will probably be at least a year before this list is established, I wouldn't worry about that right now, unless you have the $$ to get the CDL. Just make sure your regular license stays relatively clean, such as no DWI/DUI, no more than 4 points at any time, maximum of two accidents (regardless of who's at fault), no suspensions, etc., and that's it.

On 12/18/2018 at 11:02 PM, +Young+ said:

Very nice comment...I actually just restored my name to the B/O 4600 list, therefore I'll keep you folks posted in that thread, respectively.

I also plan on being down there in January as well...

According to the Notice of Examination, by the time of appointment (aka the time you go down to 180 Livingston Street), you need the CDL permit. With the fact that it will probably be at least a year before this list is established, I wouldn't worry about that right now, unless you have the $$ to get the CDL. Just make sure your regular license stays relatively clean, such as no DWI/DUI, no more than 4 points at any time, maximum of two accidents (regardless of who's at fault), no suspensions, etc., and that's it.

Honestly it maybe less then a year. 2019 is a big retirement year. The B/O’s in my depot alone is losing around 70 operators. Not to mention the big L train Shut down coming. So a lot of the people off this list don’t be surpirse if it’s faster then you think.

Also that last TA exam not a lot of people pass that test so they’re gonna fly i mean fly thru that. 

2 hours ago, DrewMania said:

Honestly it maybe less then a year. 2019 is a big retirement year. The B/O’s in my depot alone is losing around 70 operators. Not to mention the big L train Shut down coming. So a lot of the people off this list don’t be surpirse if it’s faster then you think.

Also that last TA exam not a lot of people pass that test so they’re gonna fly i mean fly thru that. 

Wow. In addition, I agree with your last sentence in which only 2,847 people passed Exam 7612 with a 70% or better.

We'll see what happens (as far as the timing is concerned).

3 hours ago, DrewMania said:

I like the sound of that. Just speculating, but maybe that’s the reason why they did both tests (civil and BOsS) on the same day. Expedite the process. Cmon MTA, make it happen. 

Thank you DrewMania! 

5 hours ago, DrewMania said:

What depot you out of? Is it quill because when I went to pick that depot was close and the vets was like yeah they close because everybody jump ship and picked out to quill for the L shuttle! Lol 

@DrewMania @+Young+ maybe you guys know this question or know the thread to DIrect me too requarding the process and steps in separating from O/A and becoming T/A I Keep hearing conflicting situations I just want to know do I have to wait like a Pre hire or once my list number is establish I can file my separation papers at 180?

1 hour ago, Mr Marta said:

@DrewMania @+Young+ maybe you guys know this question or know the thread to DIrect me too requarding the process and steps in separating from O/A and becoming T/A I Keep hearing conflicting situations I just want to know do I have to wait like a Pre hire or once my list number is establish I can file my separation papers at 180?

Keep your work record clean and wait for the pre-employment letter to be sent to you. I'm not sure if you have to officially resign before you get to (or as part of final processing) but they will walk you through that during the process.

Also, ask your union rep.

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Keep your work record clean and wait for the pre-employment letter to be sent to you. I'm not sure if you have to officially resign before you get to (or as part of final processing) but they will walk you through that during the process.

Also, ask your union rep.

Seven eleven! My guy! How you man I’m this close to coming to Staten Island to your depot..but yeah that’s the thing no rep here at my depot (M-ville) know for sure how it goes one told me I have to start over another told me I just sign separation papers from O/a to t/a and go on with my day I was looking for threads on this but can not find one 

Seven eleven! My guy! How you man I’m this close to coming to Staten Island to your depot..but yeah that’s the thing no rep here at my depot (M-ville) know for sure how it goes one told me I have to start over another told me I just sign separation papers from O/a to t/a and go on with my day I was looking for threads on this but can not find one 

From what I've read, it's called a transfer. You don't have to start all over again because you won't have to go through the intense 10-day training session again, and, if you made your probation, you don't have to go through that again.

As a suggestion, if you're off probation, you can try to find the Superintendent who does the 10-day training session and ask him/her, or one of the other "higher-ups" at your depot. If not, better stick to your union rep, as Seven said.

I'm good bro, how you liking it so far? Now is a great time to come, since they're forcing a lot of classes over to Staten Island. You just missed a transfer class to SI. I will talk to two guys I know that went from OA to TA and get back to you. If you want, pay a trip to Quill during the day. I always see a rep there. When you transfer, they will send you to Day 0 at Zerega and then off to Staten Island, where they will have you ride all the lines.

1 hour ago, TwentyFive said:

Does anyone know how many applicants took this test compared to the previous tests?

My 'gut' feeling is that it's not a lot, since, according to this page, the filing for the next NYC Transit Bus Operator exam is this upcoming February.

Something is very fishy...

18 hours ago, +Young+ said:

My 'gut' feeling is that it's not a lot, since, according to this page, the filing for the next NYC Transit Bus Operator exam is this upcoming February.

Something is very fishy...

This thread is becoming more and more interesting with respect to "getting in" on this job. I hope your "gut fishy feeling" is right! Lol.... 

I am recently retired "from the job". I just need to get another 10 more years of service under my belt to get the second pension. The sooner i get hired, the better! 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Felcel said:

Does anyone know when or how we will get our results? Do they post them online or will they send them to our homes?

As per the Candidate's Record of Answers, the Proposed Answer Key will be online after 3 PM on January 14th (a week from tomorrow). Once the list is established, then they will mail the results, along with our list numbers, respectively.

22 minutes ago, Natalie said:

I took exam and boss survey 9604 last month for TA and now i'm scheduled to take the boss survey for mabstoa in a couple of weeks. Do I actually have to take the boss exam again since I already took it last month?

E-mail examsunit@nyct.com and take it from there. After receiving a letter in the mail to take the BOSS for the Part-time Bus Operator position this Sunday, I emailed them and they said that I do NOT have to take it again, especially since I took the same exam twice within the last two months.

When emailing them, just make sure you include your information (name, last four of social, applicant ID #, etc.) so they know who you are so they can make a note on their end to cross-reference your BOSS results from one exam to the other.

Good luck and thanks for the invaluable information that the proposed answer key has been uploaded! I'm currently at work, however I'll post my results as soon as I can.