B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 minutes ago, Natalie said:

@TwentyFive if someone got like a 75 on this exam they not might ever get called right? It seems like I passed but got more than a few wrong 😞

There is no need to speculate at this point. There are many factors involved (ie Protest session, BOSS exam, how many other exams they are currently hiring from, etc) before getting called. Take it one step at a time and continue to take exams. Keep taking them until the day you are hired. 

23 hours ago, Natalie said:

TwentyFive, if someone got like a 75 on this exam they not might ever get called right? It seems like I passed but got more than a few wrong 😞

23 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

There is no need to speculate at this point. There are many factors involved (ie Protest session, BOSS exam, how many other exams they are currently hiring from, etc) before getting called. Take it one step at a time and continue to take exams. Keep taking them until the day you are hired. 

First, in the event you folks are wondering how I did, from taking the PM exam on Sunday, December 16th I got eight [8] questions incorrect for a raw score of 86.67%. Since I was hoping that I was not going to get as many incorrect, I definitely plan on going to the Protest session on the 23rd of January (next Wednesday).

As far as getting a 75 on this exam, there are several factors involved. The first one is that you initially passed the exam with the proposed answer key which means that, once the protested questions and answers are looked over, adjusted, thrown out, etc., your score might go higher depending upon what happens.

The next major factor will be where you are located on the eligible list which the Human Resources (HR) Office uses to hire Bus Operators. In the event you're unsure what a list looks like, I would encourage you to click here and here.

In addition, as a summary of the current Bus Operator lists for NYC Transit:

-B/O Exam 4600 has 8,221 candidates. Although the HR Department has finished calling people from this list, folks from this list who missed their appointment date still have the right to restore their name to this list before it expires in January of 2020.

-B/O Exam 7612 has 2,847 candidates. This list was established in October of 2018 and it expires in October of 2022. If you look at the last couple of pages of the 7612 thread, they have processed some candidates for a January 7th class, however the topic has been quiet ever since that update. Time will tell, especially since this list is about 1/3 of how big the 4600 list is.

After B/O Exam 7612, this exam is next followed by B/O Exam 9618, in which, according to this page, people can apply for 9618 starting next month.

Third, as @TwentyFive said, it also depends on how many exams they are hiring from. Usually the HR Department hires from one list at a time, however what's nice with these exams is that you can restore your name to the list. Therefore, if there are a bunch of people in the HR Office being processed from Exam 7612 and a few people are being processed from Exam 4600, those from Exam 4600 will have first priority, respectively. If I have to take an educated guess, chances are that it's going to take them at least 9 months to a year to establish this list (maybe sooner depending on how fast they go through the 7612 list). When the time comes, the list for B/O Exam 4600 will either expire shortly or have already expired.

Hope this helps.

Edited by +Young+

45 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

First, in the event you folks are wondering how I did, from taking the PM exam on Sunday, December 16th I got eight [8] questions incorrect for a raw score of 86.67%. Since I was hoping that I was not going to get as many incorrect, I definitely plan on going to the Protest session on the 23rd of January (next Wednesday).

As far as getting a 75 on this exam, there are several factors involved. The first one is that you initially passed the exam with the proposed answer key which means that, once the protested questions and answers are looked over, adjusted, thrown out, etc., your score might go higher depending upon what happens.

The next major factor will be where you are located on the eligible list which the Human Resources (HR) Office uses to hire Bus Operators. In the event you're unsure what a list looks like, I would encourage you to click here and here.

In addition, as a summary of the current Bus Operator lists for NYC Transit:

-B/O Exam 4600 has 8,221 candidates. Although the HR Department has finished calling people from this list, folks from this list who missed their appointment date still have the right to restore their name to this list before it expires in January of 2020.

-B/O Exam 7612 has 2,847 candidates. This list was established in October of 2018 and it expires in October of 2022. If you look at the last couple of pages of the 7612 thread, they have processed some candidates for a January 7th class, however the topic has been quiet ever since that update. Time will tell, especially since this list is about 1/3 of how big the 4600 list is.

After B/O Exam 7612, this exam is next followed by B/O Exam 9618, in which, according to this page, people can apply for 9618 starting next month.

Third, as @TwentyFive said, it also depends on how many exams they are hiring from. Usually the HR Department hires from one list at a time, however what's nice with these exams is that you can restore your name to the list. Therefore, if there are a bunch of people in the HR Office being processed from Exam 7612 and a few people are being processed from Exam 4600, those from Exam 4600 will have first priority, respectively. If I have to take an educated guess, chances are that it's going to take them at least 9 months to a year to establish this list (maybe sooner depending on how fast they go through the 7612 list). When the time comes, the list for B/O Exam 4600 will either expire shortly or have already expired.

Hope this helps.

How big is a normal class hired at one time? How long is the training before they hire another class? Also, do you think they will establish this list a lot sooner than normal being that both civil and BOSS were administered on the same day? Do they factor in your BOSS score when establishing the list? I’m bad in math but what would the raw score be for four incorrect answers, i intend to protest this on the 25th as well. 

Thank you +Young+

56 minutes ago, TwentyFive said:

How big is a normal class hired at one time? How long is the training before they hire another class? Also, do you think they will establish this list a lot sooner than normal being that both civil and BOSS were administered on the same day? Do they factor in your BOSS score when establishing the list? I’m bad in math but what would the raw score be for four incorrect answers, i intend to protest this on the 25th as well. 

Thank you +Young+

The size varies, depending on the needs of the Dept. of Buses. If I recall correctly, it's about 60 people. The training is two weeks. Click here for more information.

They might establish this list sooner since the prior list has less than 3,000 names. The purpose of administering the BOSS and the Civil Service exam at the same time is to avoid having us go somewhere (probably 180 Livingston Street) to take the BOSS for this exam, in addition to avoiding all of the re-scheduling issues that go along with it.

As far as the BOSS, it's a Pass/Fail. Therefore, if you pass, you're on the list. If you fail, you're not on the list. Simple.

The raw score for four incorrect answers is 93.33% (56 divided by 60).

Edited by +Young+

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

The size varies, depending on the needs of the Dept. of Buses. If I recall correctly, it's about 60 people. The training is two weeks. Click here for more information.

They might establish this list sooner since the prior list has less than 3,000 names. The purpose of administering the BOSS and the Civil Service exam at the same time is to avoid having us go somewhere (probably 180 Livingston Street) to take the BOSS for this exam, in addition to avoiding all of the re-scheduling issues that go along with it.

As far as the BOSS, it's a Pass/Fail. Therefore, if you pass, you're on the list. If you fail, you're not on the list. Simple.

The raw score for four incorrect answers is 93.33% (56 divided by 60).

Since the training is only two weeks, how many classes do they put in a year. How fast or slow do they move the list within that time frame? 

18 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

Since the training is only two weeks, how many classes do they put in a year. How fast or slow do they move the list within that time frame? 

From a mathematical perspective, they can have a maximum of 26 classes in a year (52 weeks in a year, each class being two weeks long). As far as how fast or slow they move, it all depends on the needs of the Department of Buses.

5 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

Just took the part time b/o test 9303 and it was just the BoSS test only. This is prob the most efficient way to give the test. If you pass then you take the civil service. If not, then no civil service. Hope that speeds up the process in the future. 

What? Who said that after you pass the BOSS, then you take the civil service exam? Somebody from the MTA?

My apologies if it seems like I'm going hard on you, however you have to learn and realize that Exam 9303 for Part-Time Bus Operator, which has it's own topic/thread which can be viewed here, is not civil service. This is why only the BOSS was given and not a civil service examination. In addition, if you compare the Notice of Examinations for 9604 and 9303, on the bottom of the first page of both documents, you'll see that there are no benefits for the part-timers, while there are numerous benefits for those going for the full-time positions.

Got it? If not, let me know.

3 hours ago, +Young+ said:

From a mathematical perspective, they can have a maximum of 26 classes in a year (52 weeks in a year, each class being two weeks long). As far as how fast or slow they move, it all depends on the needs of the Department of Buses.

What? Who said that after you pass the BOSS, then you take the civil service exam? Somebody from the MTA?

My apologies if it seems like I'm going hard on you, however you have to learn and realize that Exam 9303 for Part-Time Bus Operator, which has it's own topic/thread which can be viewed here, is not civil service. This is why only the BOSS was given and not a civil service examination. In addition, if you compare the Notice of Examinations for 9604 and 9303, on the bottom of the first page of both documents, you'll see that there are no benefits for the part-timers, while there are numerous benefits for those going for the full-time positions.

Got it? If not, let me know.

Oops looks like I touched a nerve. Sorry man. No one from the MTA told me anything. I guess l got confused and not realize the part time b/o test i took earlier today is not a civil service exam. I should have read the NOE a little better. Either or, I took it and it's done. Will wait to see what pans out from both of these tests. However, I will go to the 9303 link you mentioned for more details. Thank you for that.  

Going back to the previous question, historically, how many classes OR is there an average amount of classes the MTA puts out a year? 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:14 PM, Natalie said:

@TwentyFive if someone got like a 75 on this exam they not might ever get called right? It seems like I passed but got more than a few wrong 😞

it just a longer wait, i heard people with  70s get in, patience is the key here for most mta exams.  I desperately want to be conductor  13XXX (some people waited for ten year  from the previous exam before my exam list started) or train operator!

23 minutes ago, leaniel3209 said:

Not the proposed , im talking about the one people protest and they get changed how would i know when is the date to check again

The protest session is on Jan 25. You have to email and inform them you are going. After all is said and done, the mta will post an official final key 

18 hours ago, TwentyFive said:

Going back to the previous question, historically, how many classes OR is there an average amount of classes the MTA puts out a year? 

IMHO, it all depends on the needs of the Department of Buses. In some years you can have a lot of people retiring and a lot of people being promoted, while in other years there aren't that many people.

3 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

proposed key is out! based on my estimation i got 81% plus 5  residency points which will be an 86, i got  11 wrong. my wait will be long again,geez!

Residency points? The Notice of Examination (NOE) did not mention anything about that. If anything, on the bottom of the second page it says that "New York City residency is not required for this position."

1 hour ago, leaniel3209 said:

Not the proposed , im talking about the one people protest and they get changed how would i know when is the date to check again

When the list is established and we get our results in the mail. For the previous TA exam (7612), I originally scored a 75% with 20 wrong. I went to the Protest session, submitted protests for 10 wrong answers, hoping that my score would jump to 87.5%. Instead, it only went up to 77.5%.

1 hour ago, TwentyFive said:

The protest session is on Jan 25. You have to email and inform them you are going. After all is said and done, the mta will post an official final key 

First, the Protest session is on Wednesday, January 23rd. Make sure you have your Yellow "Candidate's Record of Answers" sheet or else they will not let you in (trust me). As far as the MTA posting a final answer key, click here. DCAS doesn't post one either. Instead, they invite you to a "reading" and that's it.

4 minutes ago, leaniel3209 said:

With 20 wrong do you still pass the civil service test?

It depends on how many questions there are to begin with...for this particular exam, with 20 incorrect answers, you did not pass, since you need a 70% or higher to pass. 20 wrong means that you got 40 correct questions, and 40 divided by 60 comes out to a score of 66.67%. Sorry...

1 minute ago, leaniel3209 said:

When will mta post the final answer key 

You can e-mail them at the information posted on this page for your specific answer.