B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

On 2/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, Natalie said:

@NMondi since we don’t know exactly when they will call us why don’t u just go ahead and take the road test so you can get the cdl out of the way? I took this exam too and I just passed the cdl road test last week. U should do the same maybe?

My dad is a retired MTA worker and school bus driver so in July I was going to have him train me for the CDL road test instead of paying to go to a course and pay all that money. My question now is I’m hearing during the road test at the DMV you have to look under the hood and point out belts and tanks? Is this true and any info you can share on that since I have my dad to help me with the pre trip inspection. We are unaware of the under the hood part  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Natalie @+Young+ My dad is a retired MTA worker and school bus driver so in July I was going to have him train me for the CDL road test instead of paying to go to a course and pay all that money. My question now is I’m hearing during the road test at the DMV you have to look under the hood and point out belts and tanks? Is this true and any info you can share on that since I have my dad to help me with the pre trip inspection. We are unaware of the under the hood part  

52 minutes ago, NMondi said:

@Natalie @+Young+ My dad is a retired MTA worker and school bus driver so in July I was going to have him train me for the CDL road test instead of paying to go to a course and pay all that money. My question now is I’m hearing during the road test at the DMV you have to look under the hood and point out belts and tanks? Is this true and any info you can share on that since I have my dad to help me with the pre trip inspection. We are unaware of the under the hood part  

Yes, that is true. If I was you, I would have yourself and your father go for a few lessons at a local school. During the lessons, the instructor can guide both of you into what the examiner's are looking for on the road test. From reading the various Bus Operator threads on this site, once a student who has a permit passes the 10-day training session, during the CDL road test prep, they are given a handout with what they have to memorize as far as the engine compartment is concerned.

Good luck!!

@NMondi hi my dad is a retired bus operator and now drives a school bus too. I only took 3 classes and that was enough. Also the teacher points to everything under the hood and while I was in the class he recorded everything on my cell phone for me so I would just kept studying that. I wish I could share the videos with you some kind of way. They were very helpful. 

8 hours ago, NMondi said:

At some point in 2017, federal commercial road test standards were changed up to require a more thorough examination. Instead of the usual one hour test, you're now required to memorize the engine compartment as part of a two-hour, three-part test. It's important you use the same vehicle you practiced on to do the test with because manufacturers and model years differ in regards to where each component is.

As far as engine compartment goes, you'll have to be mindful of:

• Electrical wiring/hoses
  • Engine coolant reservoir
  • Power steering fluid check
  • Steering rod/Pitman arm
  • Air filter
  • Engine oil/transmission fluid
  • Engine fan and fan belt/plus any other belts

BUT! Because more people have been failing than expected, federal standards changed up how state departments can administer the test- A full pre-trip isn't required anymore. When I attempted to take my Class B road test last year the examiner had me begin at the front door of the bus, totally skipping the front of the vehicle. It's randomized each time but make sure you memorize the procedures!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 6:30 PM, Natalie said:

@NMondi hi my dad is a retired bus operator and now drives a school bus too. I only took 3 classes and that was enough. Also the teacher points to everything under the hood and while I was in the class he recorded everything on my cell phone for me so I would just kept studying that. I wish I could share the videos with you some kind of way. They were very helpful. 

Hi I would like to know if I can get those videos too like that I can go studying them. That's if it's ok with you. 

2 hours ago, Gmel said:

Hi I would like to know if I can get those videos too like that I can go studying them. That's if it's ok with you. 

There's actually quite a few of them on YouTube:

For the bus, you can check out this and this video.

For a box truck, which is similar as far as under the hood is concerned, you can check out this and this video.

Keep in mind that if you take your road test through Zerega, your pre-trip of the engine will be different as you can see in this video.

Therefore, from taking a road test in both a tractor-trailer and a bus, whichever vehicle you use for your road test, try to "stick with it" as much as possible.

As an example for those who do not yet have a CDL: If you were to take your car road test in either a BMW, Chrysler, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Hyundai, Jaguar, Kia, Toyota, etc., a car is a car, but if you were to open the hood on all of these vehicles, although they are the same in the long run, in the short run, you would have to be familiar with all of these different types of cars, right? Same concept for the CDL vehicles.

Edited by +Young+

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Harry featured this topic
9 hours ago, Amal said:

If you previously had a ticket for cell phone use but got it dismissed would that effect that mta disccusion to hire u?

It shouldn't. You should be fine.

However, if you, or anybody else wants to check things on their abstract before going to 180 Livingston Street, you know that you can always run it off yourself, right? If not, then click here if you live in New York and click here if you live in New Jersey.

Based on this incident, one of the things I did was I compared the abstract they ran compared to the one that I got off the DMV website. Although it came out in a different format with an extra page, in the long run, it contained the exact same information as a regular abstract, whether you have the CDL or not. Note that they go back three years, so if you received a cell phone ticket (or something similar) dated April 3rd, 2016, in which you plead guilty and paid the fine, and if you go to Livingston Street a week from today, May 6th, 2019, you should be fine.

NOTE: If you do not live in New York, your CDL must be valid in either New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania and you must bring an abstract which has to be less than thirty (30) days old when you go for employment processing and when you go to Zerega.

Edited by +Young+

46 minutes ago, train1290 said:

So the cell phone ticket that I received on March 8, 2017.....I would be in the clear by next year, (3/8/2020)? Yes or no?

Yes and no. When potential employers, including NYC Transit's Human Resources office looks at your abstract, they look at it for the three years prior. Therefore, since 3/8/2020 falls on a Sunday, by that Monday you will be good. However, it will probably stay on your abstract until the end of the calendar year...click here for more information on how to obtain your own abstract. It isn't that hard.

In addition, from reviewing all of my paperwork from this incident, the abstracts they run are the same as the standard abstracts, NOT the CDL abstracts. The format is different, but the information is exactly the same.

Edited by +Young+

34 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Yes and no. When potential employers, including NYC Transit's Human Resources office looks at your abstract, they look at it for the three years prior. Therefore, since 3/8/2020 falls on a Sunday, by that Monday you will be good. However, it will probably stay on your abstract until the end of the calendar year...click here for more information on how to obtain your own abstract. It isn't that hard.

In addition, from reviewing all of my paperwork from this incident, the abstracts they run are the same as the standard abstracts, NOT the CDL abstracts. The format is different, but the information is exactly the same.

Ok, now regarding points, a cell phone ticket in NY State is worth 5 points....will that be a problem? Because, according to the DMV, "once 18 months have passed from the violation date it no longer counts towards your total point count. However, the violation/ticket will remain 3 years from the conviction date on your record. BTW, I was found guilty, I did pay though the ticket. I was found guilty on 9/15/2018. That's exactly 18 months from the violation date. So, will MTA still make an issue/problem of it?

13 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, now regarding points, a cell phone ticket in NY State is worth 5 points....will that be a problem? Because, according to the DMV, "once 18 months have passed from the violation date it no longer counts towards your total point count. However, the violation/ticket will remain 3 years from the conviction date on your record. BTW, I was found guilty, I did pay though the ticket. I was found guilty on 9/15/2018. That's exactly 18 months from the violation date. So, will MTA still make an issue/problem of it?

The points will be a problem, since they only allow a maximum of 4 (four) points to proceed. However, according to this post, which is the same thing they told me when I went down to Livingston Street, they go back three years by the date of violation. Therefore, providing you stay 'clean' and nothing else happens, by mid-March of 2020, which is only 11 months away, you should be good to go.

In addition, depending on when they publish the list for this examination, and your 'potential' list number, the timing just might work out in your favor.

Edited by +Young+