B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/7/2019 at 9:02 AM, NMondi said:

So I was told my friends friend got called in today and his test number was 4600. That test was taken in 2013. Any idea when our list for our exam 9604 will be out. We took the exam December 15th 2018

If you look at the thread from the prior list, B/O 7612 Hiring Process, out of the 2,847 candidates that are on that list, which was established back on October 17th, 2018, according to this post someone in the 1500's recently received a notice in the mail inviting him/her down for the pre-employment process and approximately three weeks ago, according to this post, someone in the 1700's also received a notice in the mail as well. Therefore, if you do the mathematical computations, the agency is slightly past the half-way mark for the prior list. With the fact that they have approximately 1,100 to 1,300 people to go through, including those who decide to restore their name to the list, I would say this list will be out sometime in the second-half of 2020. I originally said in this post that this list might be out in September or October of next year, however, with the rate that they are mailing these letters out for the first time, I would not be surprised if this list is out in July or August of next year.

Edited by +Young+

• 4 weeks later...

So, to my surprise, they have already published the list for this exam!! Like I said, I honestly thought this was going to take place during the second-half of 2020 when the agency would have went through more of the prior list, from Exam 7612, respectively.

Until we 'officially' receive our Notice of Results in the mail, you can click here and either type in "9604" or your last name in the search box on the top right hand side to find out your results. Out of the 3,431 names that are on this list, my list number is in the mid-600's.

Good luck everyone!!

Hi everyone,

I looked up my list number for this exam and I am between 1-30 in the list.

I got a call today from 347 643 8223 and I believe his name is John. I was told to come in next week for pre employment.

On exam 7612 I deferred for a later time and I haven't reinstated my name back, that was around October this year

I forgot to ask for which exam I was reporting for, has anyone else from exam #9604 been called so far?

Since my list number  is very low for this exam, I am not sure if it's for this exam or 7612 exam where my list number is much higher 17**

Thanks

5 hours ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone,

I looked up my list number for this exam and I am between 1-30 in the list.

I got a call today from 347 643 8223 and I believe his name is John. I was told to come in next week for pre employment.

On exam 7612 I deferred for a later time and I haven't reinstated my name back, that was around October this year

I forgot to ask for which exam I was reporting for, has anyone else from exam #9604 been called so far?

Since my list number  is very low for this exam, I am not sure if it's for this exam or 7612 exam where my list number is much higher 17**

Thanks

If I had to take an educated guess, if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box on the NYC Open Data Civil Service List Certification page, it is probably from exam 7612. In addition, if you play around with the Certification page by typing "09604" in the same search box, you will see that, as of this post (12/12/2019 at 10:15 PM), they have not yet called anybody from this exam.

I’m confused. December 15th was test 9604...the chief website just posted this The Department of Citywide Administrative Services established a 3,431-name list for Bus Operator on Nov. 27, 2019. The list is based on Exam 9604, which was held in 2019. how can there be the same test number ?

5 minutes ago, NMondi said:

I’m confused. December 15th was test 9604...the chief website just posted this The Department of Citywide Administrative Services established a 3,431-name list for Bus Operator on Nov. 27, 2019. The list is based on Exam 9604, which was held in 2019. how can there be the same test number ?

It's probably a typo error. The exam was administered in December of 2018.  The author of the article might have gotten confused with Exam 9618, which was administered this past June.

33 minutes ago, Filaman86 said:

You gotta consider who’s retiring, can’t pass a drug test doesn’t have their permit, can’t pass a cdl so the list should move pretty quick...maybe 6 years to a month. I already have my CDL and drive a school bus so I’m just waiting in the wings

2 hours ago, NMondi said:

You gotta consider who’s retiring, can’t pass a drug test doesn’t have their permit, can’t pass a cdl so the list should move pretty quick...maybe 6 years to a month. I already have my CDL and drive a school bus so I’m just waiting in the wings

I hear ya, however you also have to keep in mind that the agency extended the B/O Exam 4600 list for another year, which now expires on January 6th, 2021 and the list for B/O Exam 7612 doesn't expire until October of 2022, and they have about 1,000 people to go through on the 7612 list before they start calling from this one. Therefore, although the factors that @NMondi listed are correct as far as why they go through these lists so fast, only time will tell as far as when the people on this list will start getting called.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I can't make up my mind to accept the job offer now or to delay it. A few months ago I started a mechanic position as a federal employee. Some of my co-worker are currently working both the mechanic job and MTA at the same time. But, they told me I won't able to work 2 jobs as a bus operator.

My question is since the probation is 1 year long for the bus operator, if I got terminated while resigning from this my mechanic position I will be out of job on both end. The reason for me going for the MTA is primarily for their health benefits over my federal job which I pay quite a bit. As for as pay goes, MTA goes to top pay much quicker than my mechanic job as well. I believed is 6 years for MTA vs 15+ years for the mechanic position. As job duty, mechanic job is relatively ease. I haven't work as bus operator yet, but I can feel it is more stressful than my current position.

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hello. I bet everyone’s very excited to have received their list numbers for test9604. I personally am in the four hundreds myself. I believe this question was answered a few replies ago but this is my first mta list I’ve been put on so idk the process. So are they still calling people from the previous list, or are they starting now to call people from test9604? Any estimations to when someone like me might expect a call would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

10 hours ago, prtuc2 said:

Hi Everyone,

I can't make up my mind to accept the job offer now or to delay it. A few months ago I started a mechanic position as a federal employee. Some of my co-worker are currently working both the mechanic job and MTA at the same time. But, they told me I won't able to work 2 jobs as a bus operator.

My question is since the probation is 1 year long for the bus operator, if I got terminated while resigning from this my mechanic position I will be out of job on both end. The reason for me going for the MTA is primarily for their health benefits over my federal job which I pay quite a bit. As for as pay goes, MTA goes to top pay much quicker than my mechanic job as well. I believed is 6 years for MTA vs 15+ years for the mechanic position. As job duty, mechanic job is relatively ease. I haven't work as bus operator yet, but I can feel it is more stressful than my current position.

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

First of all, can you please share your list number with us? Don't forget to hide the last digit or two in order to hide your identity. As an example, since this list contains 3,431 names, if your list number is 4,159, you can reveal your list number as 4,1** or 4,1XX or simply "in the 4,100s."

Second, just so we are on the same page, let me elaborate on the current situation with this list, since, to my surprise, it was published the day before Thanksgiving (11/27/2019):

The list for Bus Operator Exam 4600 has been extended and will now terminate on January 6th, 2021. Although they already went through the list, as per Civil Service rules and regulations, if a candidate who declined their chance to be appointed in the past wishes to restore his/her name to the list for a potential future appointment, they have each and every right to do so. As a result, when NYC Transit's 'Employment Operations' office calls in the next 'batch' of candidates, those that restored their name to this list will receive first priority.

Second, the list for Bus Operator Exam 7612 expires on October 17th, 2022. Out of the 2,847 names that are on the 7612 list, according to this post, they are up to the 1500s on the 7612 list (give/take a couple of people). Therefore, in addition to the fact that they have approximately 1,300 people to still go through, for those who missed their initial appointment, once again, they can restore their name to the list. As a result, the folks from this list will receive second priority, based on their list number, which remains the same for the duration of the list.

Third is this list, which has 3,431 people, which expires on November 27th 2023.

Therefore, when the city agency, in this case NYC Transit's Human Resources Office, requests the next 'batch' (or 'group' or 'bunch') of names from DCAS, who retains all of the lists for all of the civil service positions for the city, unless they request a huge number of candidates, such as over 1,200 names, I highly doubt they will touch this list. Therefore, you have some time to make up your mind.

The reason why I say this is because, if you do some research using this Civil Service List Certification page of the NYC Open Data website, by simply typing "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top-right hand side of the screen, back on September 18th, 2019, the agency requested 700 names to fill 250 vacancies. Second, on May 28th, 2019, the agency requested over 2,000 candidates to fill 300 vacancies. Third, back on February 6th, 2019, the agency requested 1,000 names to fill 200 vacancies. Therefore, we will see what happens as time progresses. Like I previously stated, one of their 'Employment Operations' personnel said to me that they "don't work too hard," which is definitely noteworthy.

Again, like I initially asked you, without disclosing the last two digits, what is your list number for this exam? Since they go by your list number, which remains the same for the duration of the entire list, if it's in the second half of the list, such as in the 2,000s or 3,000s, you have more time to make up your mind compared to a list number which consists of only two or three digits.

Hope this explanation helps. If not, feel free to reply with any specific questions or comments you may have.

Edited by +Young+

25 minutes ago, TwentyFive said:

Just received my final test score 93.333 and list number 14X. Does that mean that this list is promulgated? If so, when do you think i will hear from them? 

It's definitely not promulgated, it's just that NYC Transit has to follow the Civil Service rules and regulations set forth by DCAS and the City of New York, which means giving first priority to the folks from the other two lists.

As far as how long you will have to wait to hear from them, it depends on how fast they go through the other two lists, how many people decide to restore their name, how many people pass training, etc. With that said, although I am not taking any educational guesses, since I was 100% wrong the last educated guess, one of the things you and everyone else can do is check the Civil Service List Certification page of the NYC Open Data website each business day, twice each business day, once a week, etc. You just have to type in "Bus Operator" or "7612" or "9604" or your last name in the search box on the top right hand side. Once they request the next batch of candidates, hopefully then I'll be able to make an accurate prediction with this list.

Edited by +Young+

13 hours ago, MTAHopeful25 said:

Does anyone know how do i update my address?

I have not received any notice of results?

Im afraid that they probably have a bad address for me..😕

First, welcome to the Forums!! Although you have not received your notice of results, which I personally got in the mail this past Saturday, have you looked up your results by typing your name into the search box located on the top right hand side of the Civil Service List Active page of the NYC Open Data website?

Second, to update your address, complete this and this form and mail it back to NYC Transit and DCAS.

Edited by +Young+

On 12/13/2019 at 9:00 PM, +Young+ said:

I hear ya, however you also have to keep in mind that the agency extended the B/O Exam 4600 list for another year, which now expires on January 6th, 2021 and the list for B/O Exam 7612 doesn't expire until October of 2022, and they have about 1,000 people to go through on the 7612 list before they start calling from this one. Therefore, although the factors that @NMondi listed are correct as far as why they go through these lists so fast, only time will tell as far as when the people on this list will start getting called.

Wait. Exam 4600 until 2021?  Than i smell list extension for 7612 after 2022.