B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Wait. Exam 4600 until 2021?  Than i smell list extension for 7612 after 2022. 

Until January 6th, 2021 to be exact. We'll see what happens for 7612, since that list has less than 3,000 names, compared to the list for exam 4600, which had slightly over 8,000 names.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/22/2019 at 9:29 PM, +Young+ said:

First of all, can you please share your list number with us? Don't forget to hide the last digit or two in order to hide your identity. As an example, since this list contains 3,431 names, if your list number is 4,159, you can reveal your list number as 4,1** or 4,1XX or simply "in the 4,100s."

Hi, my list number is 9XX.

27 minutes ago, prtuc2 said:

Hi, my list number is 9XX.

Got it. So it's going to be some time before they get to you. Besides the two other lists, even if your list number is exactly 900, they have 899 other people to go through first.

Also, keep in mind that if necessary, you can also restore your name to the list when the time comes.

Edited by +Young+

On 12/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, +Young+ said:

First, welcome to the Forums!! Although you have not received your notice of results, which I personally got in the mail this past Saturday, have you looked up your results by typing your name into the search box located on the top right hand side of the Civil Service List Active page of the NYC Open Data website?

Second, to update your address, complete this and this form and mail it back to NYC Transit and DCAS.

I ended up going in person to DCAS and Livingston and got my address updated, looks like my apartment number was missing🙄. I reviewed my name on list and it looks like i am in the  4**. Thank you for the info.

Edited by MTAHopeful25

20 minutes ago, leaniel3209 said:

I received a letter from mta that im on the list on the 3thousand numbers , after i received the answer key which i had failed , it looks like the argue about the answers help me out , atleast im on the list 

19 minutes ago, leaniel3209 said:

I received letter yesterday !

Congrats!! Good for you!! Being on the list with a list number in the 3,000's is a lot better than failing the exam!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I just received the letter with my list number, but I dont ever remember taking this exam. I thought I took exam # 9618. Either way, my list number is pretty shitty its 3,0..

Is there a way that I can check if I did take exam 9618 or if I'm just confused?? 

Also, how long till they teach list number 3,0 and when does this exam expire??

Thanks in advance!

42 minutes ago, Felcel said:

Hello everyone,

I just received the letter with my list number, but I dont ever remember taking this exam. I thought I took exam # 9618. Either way, my list number is pretty shitty its 3,0..

Is there a way that I can check if I did take exam 9618 or if I'm just confused?? 

Also, how long till they teach list number 3,0 and when does this exam expire??

Thanks in advance!

As far as checking your verification for Exam 9618, you can email examsunit@nyct.com and see what they say. That's the only way you can check, until they release the list for Exam 9618 which won't be anytime soon. Trust me.

Second, as far as this list is concerned, it doesn't expire until November 27, 2023. However, as I said in this post, the list for Bus Operator Exam 4600, which was supposed to expire in a few days, has been extended until January 6th, 2021. In addition, for the prior list, Bus Operator Exam 7612, they still have approximately 1,300 people to go through and that list, as of now, expires on October 17th, 2022.

Therefore, as far as how long it will take until they reach the 3,000s on this list, it will be a while. At least 18 months for sure, maybe two, maybe three years. It all depends on the people from the prior lists, between who has the CDL or the CLP (Commercial Learners Permit) and who doesn't, how many people go down to Livingston Street for employment processing, how many people fail the 10-day training session, how many vacancies there are, etc.

Edited by +Young+

Thank you for the valuable info.

I have another question, I recently added my name back on MaBSTOA exam 4105. I have always wanted to be part of TWU and working for mta. But is the job really worth it? I am currently making 75k a year so I would be taking a pay cut.  

My question.. is being a bus operator for mta a good job? What are the pros and cons. Long term and short term

Good Afternoon,

For exam 9604 the list has been certified, my list number is 2*. How do I obtain information to determine how long it would be, before they start calling from this list?

I also have a CDL-B with no restrictions, I would like to give myself the best chance possible to survive the initial training and probationary period, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated...

Respectfully,

Alex L.

Edited by +Young+
Identity purposes...

5 hours ago, Alex L said:

Good Afternoon,

For exam 9604 the list has been certified, my list number is 2*. How do I obtain information to determine how long it would be, before they start calling from this list?

I also have a CDL-B with no restrictions, I would like to give myself the best chance possible to survive the initial training and probationary period, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated...

Respectfully,

Alex L.

First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Second, to answer your question, it will probably be at least a year, maybe 11 months, maybe 13 months. As I stated here, the agency currently has two other lists out - Exam 4600 which expires in January of 2021 and Exam 7612 which expires in October of 2022. With Exam 7612, they still have about 1,300 people to go through. Therefore, you still have some time. As far as obtaining official information, there is no such way. Like I've said to other people in person, just take an 'educated guess' and go with it.

As far as any advice - I would suggest several things.

First, keep your license as clean as possible since. With that said, make sure you have a maximum of 4 points on your license, maximum of 2 accidents, nothing pending, no suspensions, no DUI, DWI, etc. If you're unsure as far as what your license and/or abstract contains, you can run it off yourself online. For New York residents you can click here, for New Jersey residents you can click here.

Second, mind I ask how much free time you have on your hands? The reason why is because, if you have a lot of free time, not only would I recommend to look at the 4600 and 7612 threads, which contain a lot of information, but also look at this, this and this thread as well. Like I've said to other people, one of the things I do is I "copy" the good information off this site and paste it into a Word document. This way, if I'm not online, for whatever reason, I still have a 'hard' copy to look at, study, etc.

Third, if you're not currently a bus operator and/or driver, I would suggest taking a 'few' refresher lessons shortly before your 10-day training period begins. This way, you have at least, a little bit of familiarity with a 40-foot bus.

Fourth, if you're looking for information to determine how long it would be, I would stay informed as far as how often they're having classes, what list number they're up to from the prior exam, etc. Once they get close to the end of the 7612 list, then you'll know you're not that far away.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask. 

Edited by +Young+

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, JV1988 said:

Hello all, I took the 9604 exam in 2018 and my list is 1**, is this exam already being called?

First, welcome to the Forums!! In an effort to hide your identity, can you please refrain from revealing your entire list number? Instead, if you can hide the last digit or two, it would be appreciated.

Second, to be honest with you, the answer is "no," however one can easily argue that technically, the answer is "yes." The reason why I say this is because, if you look at the Civil Service List Certification page of the NYC Open Data website, if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen, followed by pressing "enter" on your keyboard, you will see that on January 10th, 2020, the agency requested 3,000 candidates to fill 100 vacancies for this title. If you analyze the certification numbers in ascending order (9th column from the left), you will notice that for the first 1,450 candidates, those names come from the prior lists from Exam 4600 and Exam 7612. However, for the remaining 1,549 candidates, the names come from this list, which includes you.

Now, in reality, will they call you? Probably not. However, if you either enter your name into the search box of the Certification page and/or you call the automated system (212-669-1357, option #2, enter your social security number, follow the prompts, etc.), and you see that there's "activity," this is why.

Edited by +Young+

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Mystery9604 said:

When they call you what do they ask you to bring in? 

my list number is 2**

Check out the first page of this PDF document, which you will eventually receive in the mail. Once it's confirmed that candidates from this list are reporting for pre-employment, then this link will be posted in the announcement at the top of the page.

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

Check out the first page of this PDF document, which you will eventually receive in the mail. Once it's confirmed that candidates from this list are reporting for pre-employment, then this link will be posted in the announcement at the top of the page.

How can you see what status your at?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

How can you see what status your at?

To my knowledge, you can click here and either type your name or "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen, followed by pressing "enter" on your keyboard. I know this works on a desktop or laptop, I haven't tried it on a phone or mobile device or anything to that nature.