Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
+Young+

Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9604

+Young+

Here is the Notice of Examination for this specific examination in case anyone needs to refer to this for future reference.

For those of you who have not done so already, you might want to check out this and this YouTube video. Next, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Next, as of November 27th, 2019, this list has been published. If you wish to view your list number, click here and either type "9604" or your last name in the search box on the top-right hand side of the screen. I know this works on a desktop and/or a laptop, I am unsure about a phone or mobile device or anything to that nature.

Finally, for those of you who need to obtain your Commercial Learners Permit (CLP): If you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take your multiple-choice examinations, click here.

Good luck!!

Message added by +Young+

11 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

To my knowledge, you can click here and either type your name or "Bus Operator" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen, followed by pressing "enter" on your keyboard. I know this works on a desktop or laptop, I haven't tried it on a phone or mobile device or anything to that nature.

How do I get to the one for MABSTOA to check on the other progress?

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

How do I get to the one for MABSTOA to check on the other progress?

The positions with MaBSTOA & MTA Bus Company, whether it is for Bus Maintainer, Bus Operator, etc. are not civil service positions. Therefore, you would have to call Human Resources (347-643-8229/30/31/32) and inquire yourself, respectively.

Posted (edited)

Although I apologize for 'bumping' this thread/topic, I have good news for those folks who have a low list number and for those who need to obtain their Commercial Learner's Permits (CLP) as well.

As of today, Monday, July 6th, 2020, most of the DMV locations within the tri-state area have re-opened for in person transactions by appointment only. Therefore, since appointments at the DMV are going to be "hotcakes" in the foreseeable future, and if your list number is below 500, it would be a good idea to use "forward planning" to start preparing yourself to get the Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) sometime in the immediate future depending on appointment availability.

To make an appointment to take the multiple-choice exams, click here.

To practice some of the questions before going to the DMV, click here. Remember, the exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum are General Knowledge, Air Brake and Passenger Endorsement.

Good luck!! Stay safe and healthy!!

Edited by +Young+
Editing...

I apreciate the heads up on this,

I just have a question about the cdl, i currently have a class A cdl with P endorsement, but with a N2 restriction. 

Would i have to go get a class B cdl permit to qualify for the job?

Im also considering if even pursuing the job is worth it... currently drive tractor trailer for a big local food delivery company making in mid 20s hr, do you think it would be wise to go for MTA BO at this point?

Any feedback would be apreciated,

Thanks,

My list number is 4**

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MTAHopeful25 said:

I apreciate the heads up on this,

I just have a question about the cdl, i currently have a class A cdl with P endorsement, but with a N2 restriction.

Would i have to go get a class B cdl permit to qualify for the job?

Im also considering if even pursuing the job is worth it... currently drive tractor trailer for a big local food delivery company making in mid 20s hr, do you think it would be wise to go for MTA BO at this point?

Any feedback would be apreciated,

Thanks,

My list number is 4**

You're welcome as far as the "heads up."

The HR Department would not allow you to continue with the N2 restriction. Therefore, you would have to go back to the DMV to get the Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit). The good news though, at least for you, @MTAHopeful25, is that at one point in my life, I was in the same situation as you! Therefore, if you want to just get the Class B CLP, you do not need to take any more exams, you would just need to pay the fee at that should be it. However, have you considered getting the School Bus endorsement as well? The reason why I ask is because, later on in life, if you want to be able to drive a School Bus, you would have to take another road test in a 'big' bus equipped with Air Brakes just to get this endorsement.

Any job with the City is worth it! With the fact that you get a pension from NYCERS, in addition to the fact that once your probationary year is over, you can take promotional exams for other titles that pay better such as Train Operator, Dispatcher, etc. And I know a lot of other companies out there don't offer a pension at all.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Edited by +Young+
Editing...