B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

10 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

It says on the top of page four of the Notice of Examination:

An Admission Letter will be mailed to you about 10 days before the first date of the multiple-choice test. If you do not receive an Admission Letter at least 4 days before this date, you may obtain a duplicate letter at the MTA Exam Information Center (as indicated above). A paper copy of theAdmission Letter is your ticket for admission to the test

However, from taking these exams, it'll probably be about two to three prior (give/take a couple of days). Keep in mind that the application period for this examination just closed on Friday, therefore they have to see how many people applied, how many public high schools they can rent out for an AM & PM Session on both of those days, followed by color-coding the admission letters, etc.

Thanks, your a real help!

• 1 month later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Shinabee65 said:

Yes, it says both the test and the boss survey will take about 3 hours to complete, but allow 4-6 hours for the entire process. Test date 12/16/2018

I got an admission letter which says the same thing...test date is December 16th @ Franklin K. Lane High School, which is closer to my residence compared to Midwood High School (yuck).

Hopefully that weekend the (J) train will be running normal without any shuttle buses.

4 hours ago, leaniel3209 said:

I be taking it on 2125 3rd st on the 15th of december at 3pm anyone knows how is parking on the area

I mean 13st brooklyn

Where are you taking it exactly? I put the address you provided into Google and I got a private residence.

Regardless of where you take it, I would recommend public transportation. I always bring notes to go over on my way to the test, and going home, I usually have some reading material with me. Plus, you can also take a short nap, depending on your situation.

Its 2125 13st  brooklyn ny on dec.15th at 3pm

So after doing some research, you will be taking it at PS 248, NYC Transit's Learning Center located at 2125 West 13th Street. If you enter the address into Google, you'll see that it's walking distance from the Avenue U or 86th Street (N) Station. Therefore, depending on where you're coming from, I would take public transportation. Whenever there is an exam, parking around the school is not that great unless you get there SUPER early.

Just note: If you do take the subways on the weekends, there will probably and most likely be track work going on. Therefore, make sure you click here to check what's going on so you don't loose time on your commute on the way to the exam.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:02 PM, misslo said:

After.

@+Young+ Can you confirm this? (I just want to be doubly sure). I heard of people failing the test because they didn't have a driver license. (For me, I have the driver license, but I don't have the CDL permit yet). I heard that the training process automatically transitions you from the permit to the license (or am I misunderstanding. Maybe it's so rigorous that if you can make it through the training, the actual driving test is a breeze)

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@+Young+ Can you confirm this? (I just want to be doubly sure). I heard of people failing the test because they didn't have a driver license. (For me, I have the driver license, but I don't have the CDL permit yet). I heard that the training process automatically transitions you from the permit to the license (or am I misunderstanding. Maybe it's so rigorous that if you can make it through the training, the actual driving test is a breeze)

(Throughout this response I will be referring to the Notice of Examination several times, in which I'll be using the abbreviation "NOE" respectively.)

If you look at the top of the second page of the NOE, it says "By the time of appointment, you must possess either..." Therefore, from taking several of these examinations in the past, although a license would help in answering some of the questions, since you will eventually be operating a bus on the city streets, just like how most people operate a car/truck/van/SUV on the city streets, regardless of what borough it is in, having a regular license or a CDL is not mandatory.

As a side note: If you look at the top of the second page of the NOE, it also says "Your CDL or motor vehicle license, or any combination thereof, must have been valid in the State of New York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position." Therefore, if you do really well on this exam, such as obtaining a 90 to 100, and by the time you go for employment processing and your regular license is not three years old, they will turn you away and tell you to restore your name to the list when the time comes.

Next, the training process is very rigorous. Some of the other members on this site have called the training process "boot camp." Therefore, once you pass the initial 7 to 10 day training, you will be grouped up with a Superintendent who will prepare you folks for the road test in order to obtain the Class B CDL (don't worry, they prepare you and they also provide a bus for you to use as well). If you pass the 7 to 10 day training session on either Days 7 or 9, you will get two [2] chances to pass the road test. If you pass on Day 10, you will only get one chance.

Keep in mind that all of this information will come in handy later on. Right now, let's focus on doing well on the exam and wait for the eligible list to come out, as it states on the top of page four of the NOE.

1 hour ago, leaniel3209 said:

One qyestion the test consust of multiple choice questions can you state an example

Hi leaniel, you need to read section 2, that is road safety, passenger endorsement, school bus endorsement , Air break endorsement, from NY DMV CDL manual. Readings:, you need the tricks in readings and you will be fine with that. Customer service: you need to know about customer service, school bus endorsement will help you with that a little bit , good luck .

20 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So one of my friends just told me I need a CDL Learners permit in order to take the test, is that true?

No that is not true, you just need a gov issue I D. to be able to take the test, after that you need your permit or CDL license for pre-employment processing.

3 hours ago, leaniel3209 said:

All im asking is what type of test is it besides the boss survey , i got class  A , all i want to know what type of test like multiple choice 

If you refer to page 4 and the top of page 5 of the NOE, you'll see what's going to be on the exam. From taking Bus Operator Exams 2613, 4600 and 7612, in which I have obtained scores of 87.5%, 95% and 77.5%, the things I found most helpful were this & this NYPD test prep kits. If you refer to the NOE, short term memorization, written comprehension, written expression, information ordering, inductive reasoning, visualization, deductive reasoning, problem sensitivity, etc., are going to be on the examination, and most of these things can be found in the NYPD test prep kits.

In addition, although you're from Pennsylvania, which borough are you least familiar with? Let me know.

4 hours ago, Shinabee65 said:

Hi leaniel, you need to read section 2, that is road safety, passenger endorsement, school bus endorsement , Air break endorsement, from NY DMV CDL manual. Readings:, you need the tricks in readings and you will be fine with that. Customer service: you need to know about customer service, school bus endorsement will help you with that a little bit , good luck .

As a result of taking two road tests in both a tractor-trailer and a bus, in addition to having all of the endorsements (Metal Coil, Passenger, School Bus, Doubles/Triples, Tow Truck, Tank & Hazmat), the CDL manual is one of the last books I would use to prepare for this exam. I would personally recommend using the old and outdated Green Passbooks before recommending the latest CDL manual, regardless of what state it is from.

3 hours ago, leaniel3209 said:

All im asking is what type of test is it besides the boss survey , i got class  A , all i want to know what type of test like multiple choice 

Try and know all those things I mention, the test is about those things, and you gonna be just fine . Thanks 

18 minutes ago, Shinabee65 said:

Try and know all those things I mention, the test is about those things, and you gonna be just fine . Thanks 

If that is the case, then how come the Notice of Examination does not say anything about a School Bus endorsement, especially the top of page two?

In addition, back in late 2013 and early 2014, before I took my first CDL road test, I just had the "P" endorsement and not the "S" endorsement and nobody from the MTA said anything to me...

Edited by +Young+