B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@leaniel3209 the final answer key will only be posted when the list is established. 

Also, take the total amount of questions from the test and subtract 18. Take the result and divide it by the total amount and that will be your proposed score, just like Young explained it. 70 and higher is a pass, anything lower is a fail, for now. 

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

IMHO, it all depends on the needs of the Department of Buses. In some years you can have a lot of people retiring and a lot of people being promoted, while in other years there aren't that many people.

Residency points? The Notice of Examination (NOE) did not mention anything about that. If anything, on the bottom of the second page it says that "New York City residency is not required for this position."

When the list is established and we get our results in the mail. For the previous TA exam (7612), I originally scored a 75% with 20 wrong. I went to the Protest session, submitted protests for 10 wrong answers, hoping that my score would jump to 87.5%. Instead, it only went up to 77.5%.

First, the Protest session is on Wednesday, January 23rd. Make sure you have your Yellow "Candidate's Record of Answers" sheet or else they will not let you in (trust me). As far as the MTA posting a final answer key, click here. DCAS doesn't post one either. Instead, they invite you to a "reading" and that's it.

My paper is green and the protest session is on JAN 25'19 AT 1:30PM TO 3:30PM. Unless its different for each test date🤷‍♀️

On 12/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, falcondrgn said:

Ok so it seems they are most likely going to administer the memorization sections going forward now. I am currently studying from this book https://www.amazon.com/York-City-Operator-Review-Guide/dp/154428831X/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543797718&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=nyc+bus+operator+exam+book&psc=1, im not sure if you have seen this book or not, but if you how does this book compare to the green passbooks you mentioned? Thank you so much for your help.

My apologies for being late, however I just got this book out of the library. From looking at it in depth, I like three of the chapters in that book - Test Prep Strategies,  Reading and Interpreting a Schedule and Following Rules and Regulations. None of the terms mentioned in the glossary were on the exam, and the second Appendix which contains information about the BOSS exam doesn't include an answer key to those practice questions. Therefore, like I said earlier, if you can get it out of the library to save yourself some $$, then, in my opinion, it's worth it.

53 minutes ago, misslo said:

My paper is green and the protest session is on JAN 25'19 AT 1:30PM TO 3:30PM. Unless its different for each test date🤷‍♀️

Interesting...apparently it must be different for each test date.

4 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

My apologies for being late, however I just got this book out of the library. From looking at it in depth, I like three of the chapters in that book - Test Prep Strategies,  Reading and Interpreting a Schedule and Following Rules and Regulations. None of the terms mentioned in the glossary were on the exam, and the second Appendix which contains information about the BOSS exam doesn't include an answer key to those practice questions. Therefore, like I said earlier, if you can get it out of the library to save yourself some $$, then, in my opinion, it's worth it.

Interesting...apparently it must be different for each test date.

Thank you for your response. I completed the test and in my opinion the book did not help as much. You were right in that the test was very comparable to the NYPD tests. I did very well on the test and just waiting to see how long it takes them to give me a call. Thanks again for your help.

1 minute ago, falcondrgn said:

Thank you for your response. I completed the test and in my opinion the book did not help as much. You were right in that the test was very comparable to the NYPD tests. I did very well on the test and just waiting to see how long it takes them to give me a call. Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome!!

I received invitation letter for MaBSTOA for exam 4105. If I did really well on exam 9604 will it be worth it to transfer over to T.A? Is the only difference that T.A is considered civil service? Does mabstoa have a pension plan? What are the differences on insurance plans? If someone knows the differences your response will be very appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, Felcel said:

I received invitation letter for MaBSTOA for exam 4105. If I did really well on exam 9604 will it be worth it to transfer over to T.A? Is the only difference that T.A is considered civil service? Does mabstoa have a pension plan? What are the differences on insurance plans? If someone knows the differences your response will be very appreciated. Thanks

Yes they do have a pension plan...Long story short T.A can work in any depot o.A can only work in manhattan Bronx Brooklyn so if you wanna work in queens or Staten go with the TA 

1 hour ago, Mr Marta said:

Yes they do have a pension plan...Long story short T.A can work in any depot o.A can only work in manhattan Bronx Brooklyn so if you wanna work in queens or Staten go with the TA 

OA = Manhattan & Bronx Only (MaBSTOA) Manhattan Bronx Surface Transportation Operating Authority.

TA = Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and MCH (Mother Clara Hale-Manhattan Division).

Edited by Future ENY OP

Checked over answers with proposed answers, came up with 1 wrong answer on the memory. looking at a 98.33.

59 out of 60 correct. hopefully they get moving on this. my girlfriends brother got hired last month off 7612 exam and said they are calling people like crazy so hopefully this gets established ASAP and start process.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! now we wait lol

16 hours ago, Felcel said:

Yes, TA is where you want to land up in the long run. If you start out in OA, that's fine. I would recommend to switch over to TA when you're close to finishing probation because you can wind up being sent to a different depot and have to learn all the routes, etc. all over again.

OA has a privately managed pension while TA's is managed by NYCERS. If you want to work in Staten Island or Queens, then you have to be hired under TA to do so. When you make the OA-TA switch, your probationary status carries over and you will only have to complete what you have left. Like I said, if you want to do it right away and get settled in as a TA employee, that's one thing. If you want to wait till probation is done, it's another. Just remember about your seniority but don't let that be the single defining factor.

50 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I was suppose to take this test but fell I'll during the test week and because I had a death of a family member, what can I do? 

You can try to email examsunit@nyct.com and see what happens.

However, IMHO, I honestly think you're out of luck.

Sorry...

Edited by +Young+

On 1/15/2019 at 11:04 AM, Sfredo said:

Checked over answers with proposed answers, came up with 1 wrong answer on the memory. looking at a 98.33.

59 out of 60 correct. hopefully they get moving on this. my girlfriends brother got hired last month off 7612 exam and said they are calling people like crazy so hopefully this gets established ASAP and start process.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! now we wait lol

keep us updated on what you hear. i hope your gf brother heard that news from someone legit. i got 4 wrong and plan to protest them. good stuff man

11 hours ago, leaniel3209 said:

Since yesterday was a protest when will the final answer key be posted on mta info website?

It won't...click here for more information.

By the way, I was at the Protest session today and I submitted protests for questions 10, 19, 35, 43, 45 and 47 from the Sunday 12/16/18 PM session.

To make a long story short (without going into too many details), I caught some typographical errors that the examiners made when creating the exam and I was able to use this to help me with the argument(s) that I made.

We'll see what happens...

• 2 weeks later...

So I took the 9604 exam on December 15th 2018. I scored an 86-87 depends if they round up to 10 or not. I went and got my CDL permit today February 6, 2019. I l know the protest period was January 23rd, but does anyone know when the official test score and list numbers will be sent out. I’m only asking because the permit expires after 6 months with one renewal for another 6 months. 

5 minutes ago, Natalie said:

@NMondi since we don’t know exactly when they will call us why don’t u just go ahead and take the road test so you can get the cdl out of the way? I took this exam too and I just passed the cdl road test last week. U should do the same maybe?

To piggy back on what Natalie said it best you get your CDL license now  it will be less stress on you and you won’t be rushed.....if you go in with just your permit you will have to worry about passing your 10 day training (which is really a pain) then if you do pass the 10 day training you now have to pass the road test..if you were to fail the road test (I believe you get two chances) your disqualify from MTA...as to if you get your CDL on your own time you can take the road test and not have to worry about passing or failing on the first try 

5 hours ago, NMondi said:

I went and got my CDL permit today February 6, 2019. I l know the protest period was January 23rd, but does anyone know when the official test score and list numbers will be sent out?

First, when you got your permit, did you get the School Bus "S" endorsement as well? If not, and if you want this endorsement later on, you will have to take two [2] road tests in the same vehicle. After all, it's only another test. If you need help studying, check out cristcdl.com. (Keep in mind that this website comes out of Ohio and NOT New York.)

As far as when the official test scores and list numbers will be out, I would say at least 9 months - maybe a year. Although they are only starting to call people from the prior list, Exam 7612, which has less than 3,000 names, things have slowed down dramatically as far as hiring Bus Operators since the (L) train will not be shutdown for 15 consecutive months.

By the way, after you get your CDL, are you looking for experience? If so, click here.

Edited by +Young+

• 2 weeks later...

My dad is a retired MTA worker and school bus driver so in July I was going to have him train me for the CDL road test instead of paying to go to a course and pay all that money. My question now is I’m hearing during the road test at the DMV you have to look under the hood and point out belts and tanks? Is this true and any info you can share on that since I have my dad to help me with the pre trip inspection. We are unaware of the under the hood part