Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
+Young+

Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9604

+Young+

Here is the Notice of Examination for this specific examination in case anyone needs to refer to this for future reference.

Message added by +Young+

Recommended Posts

On 2/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, Natalie said:

@NMondi since we don’t know exactly when they will call us why don’t u just go ahead and take the road test so you can get the cdl out of the way? I took this exam too and I just passed the cdl road test last week. U should do the same maybe?

My dad is a retired MTA worker and school bus driver so in July I was going to have him train me for the CDL road test instead of paying to go to a course and pay all that money. My question now is I’m hearing during the road test at the DMV you have to look under the hood and point out belts and tanks? Is this true and any info you can share on that since I have my dad to help me with the pre trip inspection. We are unaware of the under the hood part  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Natalie @+Young+ My dad is a retired MTA worker and school bus driver so in July I was going to have him train me for the CDL road test instead of paying to go to a course and pay all that money. My question now is I’m hearing during the road test at the DMV you have to look under the hood and point out belts and tanks? Is this true and any info you can share on that since I have my dad to help me with the pre trip inspection. We are unaware of the under the hood part  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NMondi said:

@Natalie @+Young+ My dad is a retired MTA worker and school bus driver so in July I was going to have him train me for the CDL road test instead of paying to go to a course and pay all that money. My question now is I’m hearing during the road test at the DMV you have to look under the hood and point out belts and tanks? Is this true and any info you can share on that since I have my dad to help me with the pre trip inspection. We are unaware of the under the hood part  

Yes, that is true. If I was you, I would have yourself and your father go for a few lessons at a local school. During the lessons, the instructor can guide both of you into what the examiner's are looking for on the road test. From reading the various Bus Operator threads on this site, once a student who has a permit passes the 10-day training session, during the CDL road test prep, they are given a handout with what they have to memorize as far as the engine compartment is concerned.

Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NMondi hi my dad is a retired bus operator and now drives a school bus too. I only took 3 classes and that was enough. Also the teacher points to everything under the hood and while I was in the class he recorded everything on my cell phone for me so I would just kept studying that. I wish I could share the videos with you some kind of way. They were very helpful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Natalie said:

I wish I could share the videos with you some kind of way. They were very helpful.

I sent you a Private Message (PM). Send me a reply if and when you get it.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Natalie said:

@+Young+ I’m just trying to figure out where my pm is ughhh 

Top right, click on the "message" icon (next to the globe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@+Young+ sorry but I am still unable to get your pm. But I would really love to share the videos. Maybe I need to actually be at my pc. I will try to respond to your pm from my pc tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Natalie said:

Maybe I need to actually be at my pc. I will try to respond to your pm from my pc tomorrow 

That would help!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NMondi said:

@Natalie @+Young+ My dad is a retired MTA worker and school bus driver so in July I was going to have him train me for the CDL road test instead of paying to go to a course and pay all that money. My question now is I’m hearing during the road test at the DMV you have to look under the hood and point out belts and tanks? Is this true and any info you can share on that since I have my dad to help me with the pre trip inspection. We are unaware of the under the hood part  

At some point in 2017, federal commercial road test standards were changed up to require a more thorough examination. Instead of the usual one hour test, you're now required to memorize the engine compartment as part of a two-hour, three-part test. It's important you use the same vehicle you practiced on to do the test with because manufacturers and model years differ in regards to where each component is.

As far as engine compartment goes, you'll have to be mindful of:

  • Electrical wiring/hoses
  • Engine coolant reservoir
  • Power steering fluid check
  • Steering rod/Pitman arm
  • Air filter
  • Engine oil/transmission fluid
  • Engine fan and fan belt/plus any other belts

BUT! Because more people have been failing than expected, federal standards changed up how state departments can administer the test- A full pre-trip isn't required anymore. When I attempted to take my Class B road test last year the examiner had me begin at the front door of the bus, totally skipping the front of the vehicle. It's randomized each time but make sure you memorize the procedures!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 6:30 PM, Natalie said:

@NMondi hi my dad is a retired bus operator and now drives a school bus too. I only took 3 classes and that was enough. Also the teacher points to everything under the hood and while I was in the class he recorded everything on my cell phone for me so I would just kept studying that. I wish I could share the videos with you some kind of way. They were very helpful. 

Hi I would like to know if I can get those videos too like that I can go studying them. That's if it's ok with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gmel said:

Hi I would like to know if I can get those videos too like that I can go studying them. That's if it's ok with you. 

There's actually quite a few of them on YouTube:

For the bus, you can check out this and this video.

For a box truck, which is similar as far as under the hood is concerned, you can check out this and this video.

Keep in mind that if you take your road test through Zerega, your pre-trip of the engine will be different as you can see in this video.

Therefore, from taking a road test in both a tractor-trailer and a bus, whichever vehicle you use for your road test, try to "stick with it" as much as possible.

As an example for those who do not yet have a CDL: If you were to take your car road test in either a BMW, Chrysler, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Hyundai, Jaguar, Kia, Toyota, etc., a car is a car, but if you were to open the hood on all of these vehicles, although they are the same in the long run, in the short run, you would have to be familiar with all of these different types of cars, right? Same concept for the CDL vehicles.

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 10:48 AM, NMondi said:

Any update on when the list is coming out ?

 

11 hours ago, Jurbaez said:

Any updates on the list?

@NMondi & @Jurbaez, as per the guidelines of the website, please do not "bump" this topic. When the list comes out, the list comes out.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you previously had a ticket for cell phone use but got it dismissed would that effect that mta disccusion to hire u?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Amal said:

If you previously had a ticket for cell phone use but got it dismissed would that effect that mta disccusion to hire u?

It shouldn't. You should be fine.

However, if you, or anybody else wants to check things on their abstract before going to 180 Livingston Street, you know that you can always run it off yourself, right? If not, then click here if you live in New York and click here if you live in New Jersey.

Based on this incident, one of the things I did was I compared the abstract they ran compared to the one that I got off the DMV website. Although it came out in a different format with an extra page, in the long run, it contained the exact same information as a regular abstract, whether you have the CDL or not. Note that they go back three years, so if you received a cell phone ticket (or something similar) dated April 3rd, 2016, in which you plead guilty and paid the fine, and if you go to Livingston Street a week from today, May 6th, 2019, you should be fine.

NOTE: If you do not live in New York, your CDL must be valid in either New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania and you must bring an abstract which has to be less than thirty (30) days old when you go for employment processing and when you go to Zerega.

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, train1290 said:

Meaning for tickets does MTA go by Violation date.....or Conviction date?

Violation. Read the second portion of this post, which should help.

Edited by +Young+
Additional information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, +Young+ said:

Violation. Read the second portion of this post, which should help.

So the cell phone ticket that I received on March 8, 2017.....I would be in the clear by next year, (3/8/2020)? Yes or no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, train1290 said:

So the cell phone ticket that I received on March 8, 2017.....I would be in the clear by next year, (3/8/2020)? Yes or no?

Yes and no. When potential employers, including NYC Transit's Human Resources office looks at your abstract, they look at it for the three years prior. Therefore, since 3/8/2020 falls on a Sunday, by that Monday you will be good. However, it will probably stay on your abstract until the end of the calendar year...click here for more information on how to obtain your own abstract. It isn't that hard.

In addition, from reviewing all of my paperwork from this incident, the abstracts they run are the same as the standard abstracts, NOT the CDL abstracts. The format is different, but the information is exactly the same.

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Yes and no. When potential employers, including NYC Transit's Human Resources office looks at your abstract, they look at it for the three years prior. Therefore, since 3/8/2020 falls on a Sunday, by that Monday you will be good. However, it will probably stay on your abstract until the end of the calendar year...click here for more information on how to obtain your own abstract. It isn't that hard.

In addition, from reviewing all of my paperwork from this incident, the abstracts they run are the same as the standard abstracts, NOT the CDL abstracts. The format is different, but the information is exactly the same.

Ok, now regarding points, a cell phone ticket in NY State is worth 5 points....will that be a problem? Because, according to the DMV, "once 18 months have passed from the violation date it no longer counts towards your total point count. However, the violation/ticket will remain 3 years from the conviction date on your record. BTW, I was found guilty, I did pay though the ticket. I was found guilty on 9/15/2018. That's exactly 18 months from the violation date. So, will MTA still make an issue/problem of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, now regarding points, a cell phone ticket in NY State is worth 5 points....will that be a problem? Because, according to the DMV, "once 18 months have passed from the violation date it no longer counts towards your total point count. However, the violation/ticket will remain 3 years from the conviction date on your record. BTW, I was found guilty, I did pay though the ticket. I was found guilty on 9/15/2018. That's exactly 18 months from the violation date. So, will MTA still make an issue/problem of it?

The points will be a problem, since they only allow a maximum of 4 (four) points to proceed. However, according to this post, which is the same thing they told me when I went down to Livingston Street, they go back three years by the date of violation. Therefore, providing you stay 'clean' and nothing else happens, by mid-March of 2020, which is only 11 months away, you should be good to go.

In addition, depending on when they publish the list for this examination, and your 'potential' list number, the timing just might work out in your favor.

Edited by +Young+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.