B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

9 hours ago, +Young+ said:

The points will be a problem, since they only allow a maximum of 4 (four) points to proceed. However, according to this post, which is the same thing they told me when I went down to Livingston Street, they go back three years by the date of violation. Therefore, providing you stay 'clean' and nothing else happens, by mid-March of 2020, which is only 11 months away, you should be good to go.

In addition, depending on when they publish the list for this examination, and your 'potential' list number, the timing just might work out in your favor.

+Young+, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions....much appreciated!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Amal said:

Young just wanted to ask a question concerning accident. If you have 1 accident on record. Weather recent or not does that affect u also?

No. As long as you do not have more than 2 accidents, whether you're at fault or not, you're fine. Keep in mind also they go back three years, therefore if the accident took place before June of 2016, you're fine.

Edited by +Young+

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cindy said:

how long does it take to get results

Technically, anywhere from 12 to 18 months. The results could be released later than 18 months, depending on the circumstances.

Now, you have to keep in mind that there are already two [2] lists out for the same title: Exam 4600, which is set to expire this January, and Exam 7612, which expires in October of 2022. However, keep in mind that the list for Exam 7612 consists of less than 3,000 people. And yes, you did read that correctly.

Therefore, if I had to take an educated guess, the results from this exam will not be released for a while, especially since they're not even half-way through Exam 7612. And with the fact that Exam 4600 expires in approximately 7 months, this is only going to delay the results from this exam getting released, at least in the immediate future.

Edited by +Young+

Wow, what a long wait. Lucky i have postal job right now.  In the early process of tsa

on the other hand.  Doe Nyct bus company work only in mahattan?

i know mbstoa (is in bronx)

mta bus company 

i am planning to take train operator later and slowly until mta provide me a job.

patience is hard. I wish they have robot that scanned all the test  for them lol

NYCT (TA) and MabstOA (OA) have a combined seniority list among their depots. With that being said, if you are hired under either, you can work at any depot in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and The Bronx. (With the exception of Yonkers and Eastchester, as those are MTA Bus)

If you are hired under TA, you can also work in Staten Island and the Jamaica, Queens Village and Casey Stengel depots in Queens.

MTA Bus is the collection of the former private bus lines throughout the city. So that would be:

The Bronx: Eastchester & Yonkers
Queens: Baisley Park, College Point, Far Rockaway, JFK, LaGuardia & Spring Creek

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

NYCT (TA) and MabstOA (OA) have a combined seniority list among their depots. With that being said, if you are hired under either, you can work at any depot in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and The Bronx. (With the exception of Yonkers and Eastchester, as those are MTA Bus)

If you are hired under TA, you can also work in Staten Island and the Jamaica, Queens Village and Casey Stengel depots in Queens.

MTA Bus is the collection of the former private bus lines throughout the city. So that would be:

Queens: Baisley Park, College Point, Far Rockaway, JFK, LaGuardia & Spring Creek

Thank you.  I may take train operator or lirr conductor take more exams. I am currently working in postal office doing scanning packages.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:19 PM, +Young+ said:

No. As long as you do not have more than 2 accidents, whether you're at fault or not, you're fine. Keep in mind also they go back three years, therefore if the accident took place before June of 2016, you're fine.

Thank god i was in accident with a Truck who was too impatient and cut me off. I was right in middle intersection blocking traffic. Police wrote he make a complete full turn ( no he didnt, he tried to flee the scene!

i have the right of way.

and good there is new bus next year more blue and yellow hit queens first.

is it hard to drive a bus.

i see people struggling turning a bus but a young lady turn the bus so well.

everyone move to staten island. They need more driver on b64 always 20-26 min for one bus😭😭😭

Edited by mattfutureconductor5

14 hours ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

Wow, what a long wait. Lucky i have postal job right now.  In the early process of tsa

on the other hand.  Doe Nyct bus company work only in mahattan?

i know mbstoa (is in bronx)

mta bus company 

i am planning to take train operator later and slowly until mta provide me a job.

patience is hard. I wish they have robot that scanned all the test  for them lol

Me too. Yeah just set it and forget it when it comes to taking these test.

On 6/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, SevenEleven said:

my test was 9604 so  is that the exam for ta or other division?I need to take mabstoa to be able to work in brooklyn. i preferred working brooklyn, which exam should it take

On 6/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, mattbackupaccount said:

my test was 9604 so  is that the exam for ta or other division?I need to take mabstoa to be able to work in brooklyn. i preferred working brooklyn, which exam should it take

It is for TA!! After you complete the 10-day training session, and, depending on the "General Pick," you will be able to work in Brooklyn.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, +Young+ said:

It is for TA!! After you complete the 10-day training session, and, depending on the "General Pick," you will be able to work in Brooklyn.

How long will they start calling from the exam 9604. Meanwhile i attend school, work in post office and wait . I want ti become a bus supervisor.

people tell me to join amtrak because they have no supervisor. 

40 minutes ago, mattfutureconductor5 said:

How long will they start calling from the exam 9604. Meanwhile i attend school, work in post office and wait . I want ti become a bus supervisor.

people tell me to join amtrak because they have no supervisor. 

As far as Amtrak is concerned, you have to make your own decision. I would encourage you to apply and see what happens, however the final decision is yours.

As far as how long it's going to be till they start calling: Although this is not official, if I had to take an educated guess, I would say at least a year from now, possibly two years. The reasons why are because the list for Exam 4600 doesn't expire until this January, and, as far as the prior Bus Operator Exam, Exam 7612, they have already went through approximately 25% of that list. In addition, you have to keep in mind the folks that not only missed their original appointment, but also restored their name to the list as well for both Exams 4600 and 7612.

Next, as per the rules and regulations of the City of New York, a civil service list is valid for four [4] years. Therefore, if this list has a "healthy" amount of names on it, the agency, in this case NYC Transit, does not want to waste any time by having it published, then waiting a certain amount of time to call candidates, respectively.

Edited by +Young+

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Filaman86 said:

are they more than half way through the 7612 list? do u think.the 9604 list will be established early 2020?

According to the second to last page of that thread, which can be viewed here, somebody in the 1200's took their drug test on August 2nd. From monitoring that particular thread/topic, that is the highest list number I've seen to this date. However, the list contains 2,847 names, so they're almost to the "halfway" point on that list, but not quite there yet. In addition, things have been on the "quiet" side as far as the hiring is concerned, at least from these civil service lists.

Therefore, if I had to take an educated guess, this particular list will not be established in early 2020. However, if they have a lot of classes between now and then, and depending on who shows up to Livingston Street from the 7612 list, then they might publish this list earlier than expected.

Only time will tell my friends...only time will tell.

Edited by +Young+

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, josephnyy42 said:

Is it recommended to get the CDL permit now rather than waiting? I'm currently a traffic agent for the NYPD so I don't have a lot of free time in my hands.

In one of the posts on pages 39 or 40 of the 7612 thread, which was posted on Thursday 10/24/19 at approximately 8 PM by 'Cactus683', folks whose list numbers are in the 1500's from the 7612 list were getting called for pre-employment. Therefore, with the fact that the 7612 list contains 2,847 names, they are slightly half-way through that list.

Therefore, @josephnyy42, I would personally not get the permit now, since it's only valid for 6 months, and, if you wish to renew it, you're going to have to take the tests all over again. In addition, if "Employment Operations" keeps going through the 7612 list at the rate they're going at, I would not be surprised if this list does not get published for approximately another calendar year (September/October of 2020). As a result, if you want to get your permit and take the road test and get it out of the way,  I highly recommend it. If not, then I would wait until at least this list gets published.

Edited by +Young+

18 hours ago, +Young+ said:

In one of the posts on pages 39 or 40 of the 7612 thread, which was posted on Thursday 10/24/19 at approximately 8 PM by 'Cactus683', folks whose list numbers are in the 1500's from the 7612 list were getting called for pre-employment. Therefore, with the fact that the 7612 list contains 2,847 names, they are slightly half-way through that list.

Therefore, @josephnyy42, I would personally not get the permit now, since it's only valid for 6 months, and, if you wish to renew it, you're going to have to take the tests all over again. In addition, if "Employment Operations" keeps going through the 7612 list at the rate they're going at, I would not be surprised if this list does not get published for approximately another calendar year (September/October of 2020). As a result, if you want to get your permit and take the road test and get it out of the way,  I highly recommend it. If not, then I would wait until at least this list gets published.

Okay, thank you very much