Despite Fare Increases Next Year, Subway, Bus Cuts Loom as MTA Faces Financial Crisis

Via Garibaldi 8

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I believe in 2009 they proposed cutting it and raising the (J) frequency to every 6 minutes or something, but I think the amount saved was something small like $30,000 which is basically nothing to the MTA.

Actually the (J) was going to be cut back to 8 minute frequency and made all-local east of Myrtle Av, accompanied with elimination of the Bay Parkway (M) service. And some rush hour (J) service would have had to end at Chambers St to deal with Broad St being the terminal for the (M) but then the (M)(V) merger was designed and found to save more money and provide benefits to the riders

30 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Actually the (J) was going to be cut back to 8 minute frequency and made all-local east of Myrtle Av, accompanied with elimination of the Bay Parkway (M) service. And some rush hour (J) service would have had to end at Chambers St to deal with Broad St being the terminal for the (M) but then the (M)(V) merger was designed and found to save more money and provide benefits to the riders

...and cue the "BRING BACK MY BELOVED (V) TRAIN!!!" people...

On 8/18/2018 at 5:32 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

If a budget crisis comes in, I predict some potential changes:

(W) and (Z) eliminated

late-night (R) cut back to 36th

(J) cut back to Chambers weekends

(M) service cut back to Myrtle on weekends

(3) late night service cut

(B) service ends now at 8/9pm

That’s what they all said back 10 years ago. But remember: there were ways that the agency survived under the other chairman, who later resigned because his cuts to both bus and subway service was horrendous. 

There was: 

1. Protests

2. Complaints from communities of why and what alternatives was available. 

So if you want another protests and complaints coming from those that DO work overnights and off peak hours, then get ready for the million transit rider march. 

On 8/23/2018 at 11:12 AM, Lawrence St said:

Why yall disagreeing with me? It happens, someone mentions the (V) or old (M) and some people start saying bring them back. I think it's stupid for them to say that, just putting that out there.

The reason why people disagree with you is that the (M) from Brooklyn and downtown Manhattan was on a super decline. And the (V) didn’t even work out at all in its 10 year existence. The current routing of the (M) seems to be just fine, so let that be. 

56 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

The reason why people disagree with you is that the (M) from Brooklyn and downtown Manhattan was on a super decline. And the (V) didn’t even work out at all in its 10 year existence. The current routing of the (M) seems to be just fine, so let that be. 

Again, I am NOT avodacting to bring back the (V), REAAAAAAAAAAD.

Here is the thing: 

since 1975, when the NYMTA decides to cut service, the fleets that go with the cuts are also expendable. 

Start you off with R1-9s in 1977

R30s (8412-8569) in 1991

The 1995 Orion V CNGs 317, 581-610 in 2010, plus

the R44s 5202-5479 the same year

they had early retirements due to budget cuts. 

So if you don’t see your favorite bus or Subway car, then you can blame it on MTA! 

8 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Here is the thing: 

since 1975, when the NYMTA decides to cut service, the fleets that go with the cuts are also expendable. 

Start you off with R1-9s in 1977

R30s (8412-8569) in 1991

The 1995 Orion V CNGs 317, 581-610 in 2010, plus

the R44s 5202-5479 the same year

they had early retirements due to budget cuts. 

So if you don’t see your favorite bus or Subway car, then you can blame it on MTA! 

The R44's were retired due to structural problems not budget cuts.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:32 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

If a budget crisis comes in, I predict some potential changes:

(W) and (Z) eliminated

late-night (R) cut back to 36th

(J) cut back to Chambers weekends

(M) service cut back to Myrtle on weekends

(3) late night service cut

(B) service ends now at 8/9pm

Weekends (R) via bridge. Montague tunnel and lower Manhattan stations closed. It was proposed back in 2010.

Archived