Commute From Hell

Via Garibaldi 8

So the DOT is apparently doing work in almost all of Riverdale making most of it completely inaccessible and stranding commuters. There are no signs posted anywhere in Riverdale about what is going on and nothing on the (MTA) website. Took the BxM1 tonight. The driver made no announcement of the detour. Dropped off before 230th and Broadway, and then just announced that the next stop would be 254th and Broadway. Basically all of Spuyten Duyvil, Central Riverdale and Fieldston are inaccessible. People are livid. The bus dropped us off at Riverdale Avenue and 254th going via Broadway and then via Mosholu. All Bx7 buses turned onto Mosholu and 254th North and South, and not one Bx10 bus insight. Of course everyone was trying to get an Uber or taxi. I just walked home in about 15 minutes as I didn’t feel like putting up with that. Supposedly this is the second night this has happened with no warnings whatsoever anywhere of this planned work. Someone will be hearing from me tomorrow. Our elected officials clearly dropped the ball here. Tons of commuters to and from Riverdale essentially stranded... Smh

3 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

IIRC, there was something on the MTA either yesterday or a few days ago that mentioned buses running on Independence or something. 

Believe it or not that’s a separate project entirely that only affects Spuyten Duyvil Southbound along Henry Hudson Parkway West. It’s a detour that misses no stops.  Southbound, right on 227th, left on Independence, head south, and continue and turn onto Kappock St. People at the Henry Hudson Parkway West and Independence Av stop can hail the bus and get on just across the street. The issue is that project is going on PLUS this other one further north. I walked down Henry Hudson Parkway, and from 252nd down to 246th everything northbound is closed and you can’t cut across 252nd or 246th either. I still can’t quite understand why the Bx7 can’t run down Henry Hudson Parkway southbound...

11 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

DOT does lots of construction in Queens as well in the second half of August. They seem to assume everyone goes on vacation for two weeks so there is no need to make advance notices. Ridiculous. 

At least put up a damn sign.  This is crazy. I even asked one of the DOT guys. He said they would be working there for SEVERAL days, so you’re doing this work at night when people are coming home during rush hour (I got the 20:00 bus) and no announcements anywhere. Mind boggling. I also was not walking uphill from Broadway... No way...

Assemblyman Dinowitz has a habit of knowing about transportation projects here and not notifying the community and it’s inexcusable. We had work being done a few years back on the 235th street pedestrian bridge. You think he had the DOT put up anything. I e-mail his office wondering what in the hell is going on. Oh they’re just doing some work on the bridge. Well no one in the community knows this and this is work that is taking up parking spots and even shutting down the pedestrian bridge entirely during parts of the morning rush hour. Just incredibly stupid. I really would like to vote him out. The guy is useless,

the same thing happened when they paved Broadway 238-242 a few weeks back... 8pm Mid week, nothing on the site and I'm waiting for a S/B Bx9 at 234 (buses keep going north). 15 mins in and the N/B buses start turning off onto random Kingsbridge Streets, 20 minutes in and we see a S/B Bx9 get to 242 and just sit there. 30 mins in the dispatcher drives by and yells out theres no Bx9 service at all and causes a panic because people don't know how to commute outside their regular routes. I get to 238 for the Bx3 and there are elderly people who got taken up to North without warning and had to take the Bx10 back. Saw the BxM3 on Bailey so I guess it went VCW-Bailey-230 and then via the 1/2/18.  An hour later when I get home, I see the detours finally posted and come to find the Bx9 was stopping at 231(didn't see a single one make the right turn though). I understand that the assumption is everyone has access to the internet but not posting paper signage is lazy, having the dispatcher/operators misinform or not inform people is wild.

15 minutes ago, Q43 Floral Park said:

the same thing happened when they paved Broadway 238-242 a few weeks back... 8pm Mid week, nothing on the site and I'm waiting for a S/B Bx9 at 234 (buses keep going north). 15 mins in and the N/B buses start turning off onto random Kingsbridge Streets, 20 minutes in and we see a S/B Bx9 get to 242 and just sit there. 30 mins in the dispatcher drives by and yells out theres no Bx9 service at all and causes a panic because people don't know how to commute outside their regular routes. I get to 238 for the Bx3 and there are elderly people who got taken up to North without warning and had to take the Bx10 back. Saw the BxM3 on Bailey so I guess it went VCW-Bailey-230 and then via the 1/2/18.  An hour later when I get home, I see the detours finally posted and come to find the Bx9 was stopping at 231(didn't see a single one make the right turn though). I understand that the assumption is everyone has access to the internet but not posting paper signage is lazy, having the dispatcher/operators misinform or not inform people is wild.

The thing that’s mind boggling to me is if you’re doing this work for several nights in a row in some cases for weeks on end, why can’t anything be posted anywhere in the community?!? The (MTA) also knows about this project and the other paving projects or whatever it is they’re doing because the B/Os were asking about the detour last night. The BxM18 I was on sat at 230th and Broadway for almost 10 minutes. The driver had to use his cell phone to call the depot. He was told to take the regular route otherwise I guess I would’ve faced the same problem. 

This whole thing is a complete embarrassment for our community. To have elderly people going through this in 90+ heat with no answers anywhere... As soon as I get in the office tomorrow Assemblyman Dinowitz, Senator Klein and Councilman Cohen will be hearing from me via phone. They are all responsible for this mess and we as a community can not tolerate this level of ineptitude.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So the DOT is apparently doing work in almost all of Riverdale making most of it completely inaccessible and stranding commuters. There are no signs posted anywhere in Riverdale about what is going on and nothing on the (MTA) website. Took the BxM1 tonight. The driver made no announcement of the detour. Dropped off before 230th and Broadway, and then just announced that the next stop would be 254th and Broadway. Basically all of Spuyten Duyvil, Central Riverdale and Fieldston are inaccessible. People are livid. The bus dropped us off at Riverdale Avenue and 254th going via Broadway and then via Mosholu. All Bx7 buses turned onto Mosholu and 254th North and South, and not one Bx10 bus insight. Of course everyone was trying to get an Uber or taxi. I just walked home in about 15 minutes as I didn’t feel like putting up with that. Supposedly this is the second night this has happened with no warnings whatsoever anywhere of this planned work. Someone will be hearing from me tomorrow. Our elected officials clearly dropped the ball here. Tons of commuters to and from Riverdale essentially stranded... Smh

Wow that's crazy!!

1 minute ago, RailRunRob said:

Wow that's crazy!!

To show you how ridiculous this is they even have the part of the parkway where the fire department is up by 246th shut down, so if there’s an emergency, those fire trucks will have a hell of a time getting through. Just a failure on so many levels.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

To show you how ridiculous this is they even have the part of the parkway where the fire department is up by 246th shut down, so if there’s an emergency, those fire trucks will have a hell of a time getting through. Just a failure on so many levels.

That's a boneheaded move for sure.. How is this going on for?

27 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

That's a boneheaded move for sure.. How is this going on for?

No idea since nothing is posted anywhere. Saw several people waiting for the local buses further down and told them there was no bus service. They'd have no idea otherwise. I'm calling Dinowitz's office this morning when I get in for some answers. It's not the issue of doing the work. It's the lack of communication and planning that's the problem.

I just got off of the phone with Assemblyman Dinowitz's office and his office has been fielding a litany of angry calls and rightfully so.  I was promised a phone call back because apparently the (MTA) nor the DOT has no idea what sort of detour for the buses is in place, so even though this is clearly a planned detour, no one knows anything. They don't know the duration of the project, nor when the detour actually starts at night.  Unbelievable...

Supposedly last night's episode was supposed to be a one night thing despite this happening the night before as well.  All of the street closures are due to milling and repaving, but the person I spoke with agreed that this all could've been avoided with some signs posted and having info on the (MTA) website.  

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Supposedly last night's episode was supposed to be a one night thing despite this happening the night before as well.  All of the street closures are due to milling and repaving, but the person I spoke with agreed that this all could've been avoided with some signs posted and having info on the (MTA) website.  

No, the schedule says "night" paving Wednesday-Friday...

16 minutes ago, Q43 Floral Park said:

No, the schedule says "night" paving Wednesday-Friday...

Yeah supposedly they’re wrapping up minor work tonight. Not sure how since the skies opened up the minute my express bus was approaching Riverdale tonight so I arrived home soaked. <_< Seriously though, they literally were all over Riverdale last night. They were up by 252nd and Henry Hudson and then all along Johnson Avenue and West 236th putting down new street markers. A total blitz. They also repaved a few streets by me, which is appreciated. Just poor communication. There’s only a few ways in and up here so the roads need to repaved regularly.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah supposedly they’re wrapping up minor work tonight. Not sure how since the skies opened up the minute my express bus was approaching Riverdale tonight so I arrived home soaked. <_< Seriously though, they literally were all over Riverdale last night. They were up by 252nd and Henry Hudson and then all along Johnson Avenue and West 236th putting down new street markers. A total blitz. They also repaved a few streets by me, which is appreciated. Just poor communication. There’s only a few ways in and up here so the roads need to repaved regularly.

Jesus H. Christ, you tell this to someone in a foreign country, and they'll literally think twice about appreciating what they have and where they live.

On 8/18/2018 at 1:57 AM, WestFarms36 said:

Jesus H. Christ, you tell this to someone in a foreign country, and they'll literally think twice about appreciating what they have and where they live.

And the BS continues... So they started paving again tonight around 20:00. Yet again they detour buses without notice. They put up a notice on the (MTA) website but only for the local buses. At least there was a sign at the Riverdale Avenue and 254th stop... They have the Bx10 running only to 246th and Henry Hudson Parkway. There is no service north of that until 254th and Riverdale Avenue. If you want to go south, you must take the express bus because the Bx7 goes down towards Broadway yet again. Craziness... I refused to pay waiting for an express bus to head south and told the lady getting on with me on the BxM2 with me to not dip either, but the driver realized what was going on and waived us on, so she was going to 246th and me to 239th.  Added an extra 20 minutes+ to my commute, and since this was supposed to be wrapped up last week, I really need to know when this project will be done.

Archived