New express bus service: MTA continues to answer riders' concerns

Lil 57

1 hour ago, SIMplicity said:

Starting Aug. 24, a shuttle will be run to provide service from Eltingville Transit Center to Woodrow Rd and Huguenot Av between 10:43 p.m. and 1:30 a.m., to provide better service to points on the southern end of the Island

How the hell do you get a shuttle that isn't a shuttle but is called a shuttle and nobody can even acknowledge it as a "shuttle"?

Seriously, how the hell is this going to work? This planning is way off......

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SIMplicity said:

Starting Aug. 24, two trips will be added to the SIM6, at 7:20 p.m. and 7:50 p.m., to give commuters options to go home later in the evening

Starting Aug. 24, two trips will be added to the SIM35 at 6:35 p.m. and 7:05 p.m. to give commuters options to go home later in the evening

Starting Aug. 24, a shuttle will be run to provide service from Eltingville Transit Center to Woodrow Rd and Huguenot Av between 10:43 p.m. and 1:30 a.m., to provide better service to points on the southern end of the Island

The (MTA) really dropped the ball on this one..  Andy you have some explaining to do!

LMAO.

#carryon

2 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

A Shuttle? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to extend the SIM4c to Arden Heights via the SIM8?

Anyway, this shuttle does have a gap in service, The last SIM2 gets to Arden Heights around 9:15 ish, so there is still over a 90-minute gap to Arden Heights.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even so it's pretty absurd to run a shuttle when people are paying $6.50 for express bus service...

It's like transferring to a local bus. Which SI'ers don't like to do.

22 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What I don't understand is why is crowding so bad on SO many lines?? Even the off-peak buses are SRO in some cases.  It's just absolutely crazy.  Not only that but so many gaps in service on so many lines too.  

They probably want full buses running to increase efficiency.

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What I don't understand is why is crowding so bad on SO many lines?? Even the off-peak buses are SRO in some cases.  It's just absolutely crazy.  Not only that but so many gaps in service on so many lines too.  

I don’t know how crowded the buses are after 6pm but I think they have excess service during the end of the PM rush. A lot of the scheduling was obviously piece-meal. So they roughly gave the SIM3 the X10B/X10 schedule in the afternoon rush. This means that SIM3 service runs every 12 minutes from 5-6pm like the X10B, and every 10 minutes from 6-7pm like the X10, which doesn’t make any sense. The X10 from 6-7pm covered both downtown and midtown on those 10-minute headways while the SIM3 covers only midtown so they can cut/redistribute some service there.

Same with the SIM10, but I would guess the buses are well under capacity after 7pm. From 7-8pm they gave it the X1 schedule so it runs on 8-minute headways. But the X1 covered downtown, Union Square and midtown on those headways, while the SIM10 only covers midtown. So they should cut service there and give the SIM10 something like 15-minute headways (the SIM1 downtown runs on 15 minute headways during that time period). And overcrowding shouldn't be a problem, they just added two evening SIM6 trips. And maybe they can use the cut SIM10 trips to add some SIM7 trips.

18 minutes ago, SIMplicity said:

I don’t know how crowded the buses are after 6pm but I think they have excess service during the end of the PM rush. A lot of the scheduling was obviously piece-meal. So they roughly gave the SIM3 the X10B/X10 schedule in the afternoon rush. This means that SIM3 service runs every 12 minutes from 5-6pm like the X10B, and every 10 minutes from 6-7pm like the X10, which doesn’t make any sense. The X10 from 6-7pm covered both downtown and midtown on those 10-minute headways while the SIM3 covers only midtown so they can cut/redistribute some service there.

Same with the SIM10, but I would guess the buses are well under capacity after 7pm. From 7-8pm they gave it the X1 schedule so it runs on 8-minute headways. But the X1 covered downtown, Union Square and midtown on those headways, while the SIM10 only covers midtown. So they should cut service there and give the SIM10 something like 15-minute headways (the SIM1 downtown runs on 15 minute headways during that time period). And overcrowding shouldn't be a problem, they just added two evening SIM6 trips. And maybe they can use the cut SIM10 trips to add some SIM7 trips.

I don't think they should cut anything yet until they get a good idea of ridership patterns. I strongly suspect that some people will change their commutes if possible to avoid lines that continue to see severe overcrowding.

4 hours ago, Vtrain said:

Why not extend the weekday evening SIM4c route to Woodrow Rd/Huguenot Av as well as weekday midday & weekend service as well.

The drivers have already picked their runs, and this was probably the simpler solution (I don't know if any SIM4C runs involve a deadhead from the ETC back to Manhattan for another trip. Otherwise, I guess they could instruct some of those drivers to just run to Woodrow & Huguenot on their way to the Charleston Depot)

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

What route would the shuttles go under? Thanks.

If I had to guess, it would be the SIM8, since that runs between the ETC and Woodrow & Huguenot (also, the last bus from Midtown is scheduled to reach the ETC at 10:20pm, so 10:43pm seems somewhat coordinated with it). 

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

A Shuttle? Wouldn't it just be cheaper to extend the SIM4c to Arden Heights via the SIM8?

Anyway, this shuttle does have a gap in service, The last SIM2 gets to Arden Heights around 9:15 ish, so there is still over a 90-minute gap to Arden Heights.

See my comment to VTrain.

As for Arden Heights, while I agree it's a half-assed way of providing them service, they also have the option of taking the SIM1C or SIM4C from Downtown to the ETC and then transferring to the SIM8 or shuttle from there. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The gaps in service were because they were too lazy to proofread the schedules. The crowding is because they just copied-and-pasted pieces of other routes' schedules and hoped it would hold up. As SIMplicity said, if anything, they have excess service on the SIM3 & SIM10 in the late PM rush, but a lack of service on lines like the SIM7. Also, you notice on some lines like the SIM2 (which was extended to Tottenville) & SIM31 (which covered X10B riders), they didn't account for the fact that those routes would have additional riders. (They just assumed ridership would be similar to the old X19 & X31 respectively)

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

They probably want full buses running to increase efficiency.

Off-peak service is cheaper to provide than peak service, so if anything, they should be more generous on the off-peak service.

And there's plenty of empty buses running as well (it's just that nobody's there to notice because they're empty lol). Those SIM5X/6X hardly carry anybody (one rider posted he had the whole bus to himself). 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't think they should cut anything yet until they get a good idea of ridership patterns. I strongly suspect that some people will change their commutes if possible to avoid lines that continue to see severe overcrowding.

Yeah, but if they're taking their backup line to avoid the line they actually want to use, then it gives a skewed picture of the whole situation (because ridership on the backup line ends up being higher, and it looks like people actually wanted to use that line)

5 hours ago, trife86 said:

Being us operators already have our picked work in effect I'm not sure where they would get these extra operators for for these extra trips they are supposedly adding.. unless they are utilizing people directly off the extra list which in turn would make the extra list a lot smaller and therefore less runs being covered elsewhere, which in turn does not help a God damn thing....

I've been wondering the exact same thing. And if the MTA can apparently add new runs at the drop of a hat like this, why can't they do the same thing with other routes as needed all the time??

35 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

As for Arden Heights, while I agree it's a half-assed way of providing them service, they also have the option of taking the SIM1C or SIM4C from Downtown to the ETC and then transferring to the SIM8 or shuttle from there. 

Since the last SIM8 reaches the ETC at 10:20 PM. Riders reaching the ETC between 9:30 PM ish and 10:43 PM will transfer to the SIM8. (The SIM8 runs on 30-minute headways so they have to make sure to catch it or they'll be waiting a bit for the next one.)

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The gaps in service were because they were too lazy to proofread the schedules. The crowding is because they just copied-and-pasted pieces of other routes' schedules and hoped it would hold up. As SIMplicity said, if anything, they have excess service on the SIM3 & SIM10 in the late PM rush, but a lack of service on lines like the SIM7. Also, you notice on some lines like the SIM2 (which was extended to Tottenville) & SIM31 (which covered X10B riders), they didn't account for the fact that those routes would have additional riders. (They just assumed ridership would be similar to the old X19 & X31 respectively)

Well this is the result of lazy planning & I'd go as far as to say heads should roll because of this.... Albeit under different circumstances, the first thing I actually thought of after reading the first day's worth of comments on here & SILive regarding people's actual commutes, was BridgeGate & the shitstorm that was..... To me, this is beyond normal MTA incompetence (which shouldn't be a thing anyway) & borders on absolute sabotage.... Someone mentioned on here that there was some MTA worker somewhere that said something to the tune of, the redesign being a ploy to get people taking the ferry.... I'm not saying that I necessarily concur with that or not, but I will admit that it's something I never considered (redirecting express riders onto the ferry)... Disgusting.

None of what's going on right now should be surprising to anyone that's been cognizant about this whole thing.... Engaging in spur-of-the-moment insta-fixes is not going to rectify much, when the very foundation of this redesign is the problem in & of itself....

The Staten Island Express Bus Network redesign.... needs a redesign.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Also, what's the most crowded SIM route in the PM rush and during what time? I would like to experience the overcrowding myself.

Oh you would? Well wait for the SIM7 Downtown by the WTC. You likely won't get a seat and will have the luxury to stand for $6.50.

14 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

How the hell do you get a shuttle that isn't a shuttle but is called a shuttle and nobody can even acknowledge it as a "shuttle"?

Seriously, how the hell is this going to work? This planning is way off......

I think they're going to use OOS local buses at ETC to do this shuttle, like how at times there will be an express buses in service as a local to make up for service.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Go during rush hour by Vesey Street, stand and see how quickly the line grows and if there are gaps in service you'll be in for a treat. lol

There's 5th Avenue too to experience the overcrowding and severe congestion.

I LOVE overcrowding. Gives you a chance to fight with the other commuters for a seat 😂

28 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I LOVE overcrowding. Gives you a chance to fight with the other commuters for a seat 😂

Or stand in the nice narrow aisles for an hour +. During the drop-off segment, I hated having to get off of the bus and then get back on because there is no where to stand out of the way when buses are SRO so everyone may have to get off that is standing.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Or stand in the nice narrow aisles for an hour +. During the drop-off segment, I hated having to get off of the bus and then get back on because there is no where to stand out of the way when buses are SRO so everyone may have to get off that is standing.

I remember once on the BxM3 it was so crowded when i tried to get off the bus driver slammed on the brake and i went crashing into the person in front of me who crashed into the next person like a domino effect.

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I remember once on the BxM3 it was so crowded when i tried to get off the bus driver slammed on the brake and i went crashing into the person in front of me who crashed into the next person like a domino effect.

When I was younger (and stupid), I'd call myself trying to save any time possible if I was leaving the office after rush hour, so I'd jump on the (4) or (5) at Union Square, then get the X10 by the last stop near Bowling Green. Well I learned that that wasn't such a good idea because I'd be right at the front of the bus holding on while the B/O was flying down the Gowanus, as some buses were SRO only.  One short stop and I'd go flying through the windshield.  I stopped doing that ****. My life is more valuable. Not only that but I am not paying $6.50 to stand. Absolutely not, after having worked 10+ hours some days in the office.  Such behavior just enables the (MTA) to run piss poor service.

48 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When I was younger (and stupid), I'd call myself trying to save any time possible if I was leaving the office after rush hour, so I'd jump on the (4) or (5) at Union Square, then get the X10 by the last stop near Bowling Green. Well I learned that that wasn't such a good idea because I'd be right at the front of the bus holding on while the B/O was flying down the Gowanus, as some buses were SRO only.  One short stop and I'd go flying through the windshield.  I stopped doing that ****. My life is more valuable. Not only that but I am not paying $6.50 to stand. Absolutely not, after having worked 10+ hours some days in the office.  Such behavior just enables the (MTA) to run piss poor service.

I actually faceplanted against a windshield while on the W20 bus during rush hour because the bus was so crowded and a car cut in front of the bus so the driver slammed on the brake and i went flying.

Archived