New express bus service: MTA continues to answer riders' concerns

Lil 57

5 minutes ago, SIMplicity said:

*sarcasm* Thanks for tuning into MTA BusTime: Off-Peak Edition! In today’s episode, we see not one, but TWO SIM1Cs leave together at 8:04pm! Because 3C/4C commuters LOVE to watch 1C after 1C pass them by! And where is the driver of the first 3C at 8:00pm? He’s sitting on 6th Avenue at 57th Street! It will only take him until 8:11 before he realizes that his run started 11 minutes ago! And the star of tonight’s episode is the SIM4C! The first run reaches Worth Street a mere 31 minutes late!! Incredible! And the 7:20 run leaves CPS at 7:40, and the 7:40 run leaves just before 8:00! So, they just drop the 8:00 run altogether! Genius! 4C having hiccups again? Don’t worry, it’s the SIM8 to the rescue! Where’s the 8:30 SIM8? Nobody knows! Why in the world would any evening commuters opt to take the 1C instead?! *end sarcasm*

That 58 minute gap for the SIM8. Aren't 4c riders relying on the SIM8 to transfer until the"shuttle" starts at 10:43 PM?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, SIMplicity said:

*sarcasm* Thanks for tuning into MTA BusTime: Off-Peak Edition! In today’s episode, we see not one, but TWO SIM1Cs leave together at 8:04pm! Because 3C/4C commuters LOVE to watch 1C after 1C pass them by! And where is the driver of the first 3C at 8:00pm? He’s sitting on 6th Avenue at 57th Street! It will only take him until 8:11 before he realizes that his run started 11 minutes ago! And the star of tonight’s episode is the SIM4C! The first run reaches Worth Street a mere 31 minutes late!! Incredible! And the 7:20 run leaves CPS at 7:40, and the 7:40 run leaves just before 8:00! So, they just drop the 8:00 run altogether! Genius! 4C having hiccups again? Don’t worry, it’s the SIM8 to the rescue! Where’s the 8:30 SIM8? Nobody knows! Why in the world would any evening commuters opt to take the 1C instead?! *end sarcasm*

And now we have 2 SIM3Cs bunching on Richmond Ave😑

They did pull out another SIM8. @42nd/6th as of 9:39 PM. (Or did the 8:30 leave at 9 and the 9 left close to 9:30?) 

11 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

They did pull out another SIM8. @42nd/6th as of 9:39 PM. (Or did the 8:30 leave at 9 and the 9 left close to 9:30?) 

Those 3Cs were probably the 8:00 who fell asleep and left at 8:11, and the 8:15. And with the SIM8 it seems that the 8:30 left at 9 and the 9 left around 9:25. Yikes.

Is there a schedule for the shuttle from ETC? What route will it be feeding from? 

Also, LOL part 2:

Delays  Posted: 08/24/2018 10:00PM 

SIM3, SIM6, SIM10 and SIM31 bus service is running with delays because of traffic at 42 St and 5 Av. 

Service Change  Posted: 08/24/2018  8:05PM 

We're continuing to strengthen the brand new Staten Islandexpress bus network by adding more service starting today: 

Added SIM35 service at 6:35PM and 7:05PM

Added SIM6 service at 7:20PM and 7:50PM

Based on customer feedback, starting Friday, August 24, theshuttle that was added to provide service from Eltingville Transit Center toWoodrow Rd and Huguenot Av between 10:43PM and 1:30AM, to provide betterservice to points on the southern end of the Island, has now been extended evenfurther to Woodrow Rd and Arden Av.

As promised, we are continuing to adjust service to meet theneeds of Staten Islanders. For all SIM updates, be sure to check our site:http://www.mta.info/siexpressbus and don't forget to sign up for the new SIMroutes' e-alerts at http://mymtaalerts.com

3 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

Could of been on a personal or just got there late. People gotta use restroom sometimes you know

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I was waiting for the Sim3c at 5th/32nd around 9:15, a Sim8 pulled up at 33rd with the sign up, but OOS. Then he turned onto 32nd...I knew something was up. That's probably the bus you're talking about. 

33 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Could of been on a personal or just got there late. People gotta use restroom sometimes you know

Whenever I see a pattern of constant late buses, it’s usually a sign that a trip isn’t being filled and B/Os are leaving that way on purpose to try to lessen the blow in terms of crowding.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Whenever I see a pattern of constant late buses, it’s usually a sign that a trip isn’t being filled and B/Os are leaving that way on purpose to try to lessen the blow in terms of crowding.

But why do they allow this bs to happen? Seriously someone in the higher ups better be taking notes of this because even given a growing city this is unacceptable.

15 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

But why do they allow this bs to happen? Seriously someone in the higher ups better be taking notes of this because even given a growing city this is unacceptable.

This is an example of how the (MTA) Is “saving” money. They admitted that they started doing this after the recession and have continued it as their money problems have continued. If a guy is severely late, he may be told to not even bother doing the trip, thus allowing him to perhaps get back on-time to do his next run. That has happened before on the Riverdale express bus lines. If he is just going to be late he’ll never catch up. They may or may not replace him with a filler. It used to be back in the day that you had guys that would be on standby when such things happened. That is becoming less and less common as the (MTA) looks to cut back on costs. Therefore, if a guy is late and it is rush hour with no fillers to jump in and help out, you get those LARGE gaps in service. That is also the case if the guy has to deadhead and he isn’t given enough time to reach the city to start the first trip or what have you. 

Something else the (MTA) is doing is when guys are out sick, instead of having fillers replace them as they normally do, they just don’t fill the trips, rush hour or not, and now people are waiting around for a bus that won’t come. Also seems to be happening when guys take vacation. We’ve had a few weeks this year where the regular guy is out sick or on vacation and his trip goes missing for days because they don’t get anyone to cover for him. This is what I fear about this re-design because before you had enough routes to just go to another line when things were a mess and it usually worked out ok. With this new set up there isn’t that option in some cases, and this is part of why we’re seeing such severe overcrowding. First and foremost, they simply don’t have enough service, and they likely don’t have enough fillers to jump in and help. When you inquire about why a certain bus has been missing for days, they will reply and say that the service is there and no bus has been cut, but they won’t tell you that they haven’t been filling that trip. 

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Based on customer feedback, starting Friday, August 24, theshuttle that was added to provide service from Eltingville Transit Center toWoodrow Rd and Huguenot Av between 10:43PM and 1:30AM, to provide betterservice to points on the southern end of the Island, has now been extended evenfurther to Woodrow Rd and Arden Av.

Ummmm... Arden is closer to ETC than Huguenot... lol

There’s also customer feedback (saw some SI Live comments) requesting later service in Tottenville and Princes Bay (basically along the SIM2 and 25). I am one of those customers. :) Although they really should extend the SIM2 until at least 9:30 so it would reach Arden Heights around 10:15 (the shuttle starts at 10:43) if not until midnight (and cut the shuttle). And they should extend the SIM25 until 8:15 like the last X22 for riders parked at Arthur Kill (although maybe the SIM26 stops there, it’s unclear) and on Rossville.

1 hour ago, trife86 said:

I know, most of the time it’s not the driver’s fault. Maybe sometimes the layover time at the terminal isn’t enough to account for traffic on the Manhattan-bound run.

32 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That’s a good point. Although in the case of the 4C today I think the driver of the 7:00 run was still heading up Madison and didn’t reach CPS until around 7:15. Either that or the 7:00 trip wasn’t being filled.

2 minutes ago, SIMplicity said:

There’s also customer feedback (saw some SI Live comments) requesting later service in Tottenville and Princes Bay (basically along the SIM2 and 25). I am one of those customers. :) Although they really should extend the SIM2 until at least 9:30 so it would reach Arden Heights around 10:15 (the shuttle starts at 10:43) if not until midnight (and cut the shuttle). And they should extend the SIM25 until 8:15 like the last X22 for riders parked at Arthur Kill (although maybe the SIM26 stops there, it’s unclear) and on Rossville.

I know, most of the time it’s not the driver’s fault. Maybe sometimes the layover time at the terminal isn’t enough to account for traffic on the Manhattan-bound run.

That’s a good point. Although in the case of the 4C today I think the driver of the 7:00 run was still heading up Madison and didn’t reach CPS until around 7:15. Either that or the 7:00 trip wasn’t being filled.

If you remember, back in the day if your bus broke down, they’d send a bus to get you. Now when that happens, if the bus runs every hour, you are on your own. They give you the choice to either wait another hour for the next bus or get off and find your own way.  So you paid $6.50, the bus broke down and now you either wait that hour or however long until another bus comes and hope you can get on it, or call an Uber or something and spend out even more money. That has been happening to me also.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If you remember, back in the day if your bus broke down, they’d send a bus to get you. Now when that happens, if the bus runs every hour, you are on your own. They give you the choice to either wait another hour for the next bus or get off and find your own way.  So you paid $6.50, the bus broke down and now you either wait that hour or however long until another bus comes and hope you can get on it, or call an Uber or something and spend out even more money. That has been happening to me also.

If an SI express bus breaks down before leaving Manhattan, and it’s the last bus or the bus runs every hour, you’re screwed. Uber between SI and Manhattan is extremely pricey. I just checked Uber and from Battery Place to Fingerboard Rd right now (2am) UberPool costs $36 (the bare minimum). From 42nd to ETC it’s $89. Looks like it’s the subway to the ferry and then Uber home... would not be fun at 2am.

6 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

If an SI express bus breaks down before leaving Manhattan, and it’s the last bus or the bus runs every hour, you’re screwed. Uber between SI and Manhattan is extremely pricey. I just checked Uber and from Battery Place to Fingerboard Rd right now (2am) UberPool costs $36 (the bare minimum). From 42nd to ETC it’s $89. Looks like it’s the subway to the ferry and then Uber home... would not be fun at 2am.

I have seen people get on and pay and the bus was put out of service then and there. Just imagine having that happen, and the B/O didn't even offer a transfer! He had the nerve to say you have one on your Metrocard. Here's the thing though. If you need an additional transfer, you are now paying another fare. I was so annoyed by his obnoxious behavior that I filed a complaint. People were really pissed off by his attitude. If your bus breaks down, at least have the decency to provide transfers if people need them. I had an unlimited so I just backtacked to Metro-North. I still had to pay for the commuter train though, but it was better than waiting another hour for a bus that may be packed... So packed that I could be passed up...

There have been other instances where the bus will have broken down at the first stop. Some of us have gotten together, someone calls a cab and we just split the fare to Manhattan. $10-15 is a lot better than $60-70.

11 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

As much as I had to fight this entire week to get uptown on time, today was shot.. there was a multi car accident on the VZ, so that tied things up. (And no, it's not as simple as take the lower level, when the entire SIE gets backed up)

I've been locked out of my account for a couple days, I'll comment on y'all posts in a bit. 

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was on the 4:00 SIM7. Here are my obvs:

I got on at 14th St, bus was late by 5 minutes. Driver was signed up as an X15 at first (idk why) Wasnt really that crowded, and when we got to Vesey St I was expecting a large crowd from what @Via Garibaldi 8 said, but there was'nt that much of a crowd. I looked at bus time and saw that there was another SIM7 directly behind us, so we were late by a good 15 minutes. I got off somewhere around Hylan, and I saw not one not two but three SIM1's back to back. That and for some reason i saw a lot of LFS's on the s79.

5 to 5:30 is when the lines at Vesey are through the roof, and as VG8 said its lighter ridership on a Friday.

12 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

That 8:30pm SIM8 has been missing for a few days from BusTime (including on Tuesday night when I had to bolt out of York College in time to catch the last SIM8. I checked BusTime once I caught my (E) train and I saw the 9pm one at the terminal that I eventually caught, but not the 8:30pm one). But the 9pm bus wasn't that crowded, so he might've very well been in service but not on BusTime.

On the first day, I checked the SIM4C, and I did see the bus leave Central Park South at 7pm, but somewhere in Lower Manhattan he disappeared (I guess he put up the "Next Bus Please" sign and vanished from BusTime)

8 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

I hope that doesn't mean they cut it back to Arden.

The shuttle should really be extended to the Huguenot SIR station (though I understand the SIM8 doesn't serve it).

Out of principle, the SIM2 should run until 1am from Downtown. There was an unofficial 12:20am extra X17 that ran from Midtown to Arden Heights, and it got to Worth Street around 12:45-12:50am (At the minimum, it needs to leave Downtown no earlier than the last X17 did, because you have to give the riders a chance to get Downtown). 

What they can do (which might be easier, since it seemed they had an quicker/easier time modifying the Academy schedule) is have a SIM23 or SIM24 leave at 8:15pm, and then have Rossville riders transfer to the S74/84. But for the sake of Foster Road/Princes Bay (which is further from Bloomingdale Road, especially with the park in the way), they should at least have a 7:30pm trip, since that's when the last X23 used to leave Midtown.

On 8/23/2018 at 6:24 PM, trife86 said:

Being us operators already have our picked work in effect I'm not sure where they would get these extra operators for for these extra trips they are supposedly adding.. unless they are utilizing people directly off the extra list which in turn would make the extra list a lot smaller and therefore less runs being covered elsewhere, which in turn does not help a God damn thing....

They're using ops off the XL for all these extra trips.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:46 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What I don't understand is why is crowding so bad on SO many lines?? Even the off-peak buses are SRO in some cases.  It's just absolutely crazy.  Not only that but so many gaps in service on so many lines too.  

This is what happens when you take 3 bus loads and try to stuff them into 1. The people in Mariners Harbor lost their bus to Midtown, so now they're jumping on the SIM3 and 30. The X1 is now the SIM1 and 10s and with the 10 going straight to 23rd, it's a more appealing option compared with the old X2. There's only two buses serving the WFC, as opposed to the previous 3...

On 8/23/2018 at 11:48 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

I've been wondering the exact same thing. And if the MTA can apparently add new runs at the drop of a hat like this, why can't they do the same thing with other routes as needed all the time??

Right now, are these added trips are extra work. They are giving them out to the ops on the extra list and those who are doing pieces or as assigned work. They're permanent changes but in order for it to be official official, they have to fold them into runs and do another pick for ops. This has been a double edged sword though. They're adding extra trips but now, they're straining availability of the buses.

22 hours ago, SIMplicity said:

So predictable. I took the X7 at least once a week from Vesey (depending on traffic down by Battery Place; on some days the West St approach to the tunnel has saved me at least 20 minutes) and those buses arrived not even half full. That line at Vesey has reached 50-60 people but the undercrowded X7 and X9 could handle it. (Twice I had to stand on the X7 but because it was pouring rain). Not many people got on in midtown, and yet they moved the buses from Lex and Madison to 5th/6th to accommodate X1/7/9 midtown riders... How did they fail to see that the majority of X7/9 riders got on at 14th Street and below?

According to BusTime, today the 2:30pm SIM7 left around 3:00, the 3:00 left around 3:15, the 3:30 left around 3:45, the 3:45 left around 3:50, and the 4:00 left at 4:05...

Also, when does the third lane of the Battery Tunnel switch to outbound? I often saw that the traffic at 4:15 was a nightmare with two outbound lanes, but at 5:00 things were running smoothly with three. And maybe they should ban people coming up towards the tunnel from Battery Place from cutting over the FDR traffic and going straight on West St.

They switch that third lane around 4:30.

17 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Is there a schedule for the shuttle from ETC? What route will it be feeding from? 

Also, LOL part 2:

I spoke to the dispatcher over at ETC last night (was actually looking to do that shuttle) and he said that there were paddles created for the shuttle (again, it's extra work) and it would be separate buses out of Charleston. The route from ETC is Korean Vets Pwky straight to Huguenot P/R and then I guess swing around back to Woodrow, into Arden.

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I hope that doesn't mean they cut it back to Arden.

The shuttle should really be extended to the Huguenot SIR station (though I understand the SIM8 doesn't serve it).

Nah, the shuttle was originally to the park/ride first via the parkway but they extended it last minute to Arden.

38 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

I spoke to the dispatcher over at ETC last night (was actually looking to do that shuttle) and he said that there were paddles created for the shuttle (again, it's extra work) and it would be separate buses out of Charleston. The route from ETC is Korean Vets Pwky straight to Huguenot P/R and then I guess swing around back to Woodrow, into Arden.

Nah, the shuttle was originally to the park/ride first via the parkway but they extended it last minute to Arden.

Do they have a schedule available? I see that it runs from 10:43pm to 1:30am, but they don't give the departure times in between. And I'm assuming it's a loop? (ETC to Woodrow & Arden via Huguenot SIR, then deadhead back to the ETC)

18 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Do they have a schedule available? I see that it runs from 10:43pm to 1:30am, but they don't give the departure times in between. And I'm assuming it's a loop? (ETC to Woodrow & Arden via Huguenot SIR, then deadhead back to the ETC)

I’d guess the shuttle leaves 5 minutes after each SIM4C arrives. There’s a 4C scheduled to arrive at 10:38, hence the 10:43 start, and the last 4C arrives at 1:25, hence the 1:30 final run. But coordinating with the 4C would mean 30 minute headways, unless they’re running it every 15 minutes. But the run time for that loop would be about 15 minutes, which is cutting it close if there’s one operator.

3 minutes ago, SIMplicity said:

I’d guess the shuttle leaves 5 minutes after each SIM4C arrives. There’s a 4C scheduled to arrive at 10:38, hence the 10:43 start, and the last 4C arrives at 1:25, hence the 1:30 final run. But coordinating with the 4C would mean 30 minute headways, unless they’re running it every 15 minutes. But the run time for that loop would be about 15 minutes, which is cutting it close if there’s one operator.

Makes sense. The question is (not directed at you, but in general): Will they hold if there's a delay on the SIM4C, and if so, how long will they hold for? Because given the lack of service on the SIM4C (and the very real possibility of not being able to fit on the bus), some people will likely be using the SIM1C to connect to the shuttle (as is evidenced by the overcrowded SIM1C evening buses), and they have to be fair to them as well.

45 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Not anything public facing but I'm guessing that they'll announce something by Monday. 

7 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Makes sense. The question is (not directed at you, but in general): Will they hold if there's a delay on the SIM4C, and if so, how long will they hold for? Because given the lack of service on the SIM4C (and the very real possibility of not being able to fit on the bus), some people will likely be using the SIM1C to connect to the shuttle (as is evidenced by the overcrowded SIM1C evening buses), and they have to be fair to them as well.

Not sure but common sense dispatching would say hold the bus... But in the same stroke, the shuttle would be useful for everyone else like you said. I'm sure if they need an extra trip done, they'll continue to run the shuttle or just grab an express terminating at ETC to do the trip. 

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

They're using ops off the XL for all these extra trips.

This is what happens when you take 3 bus loads and try to stuff them into 1. The people in Mariners Harbor lost their bus to Midtown, so now they're jumping on the SIM3 and 30. The X1 is now the SIM1 and 10s and with the 10 going straight to 23rd, it's a more appealing option compared with the old X2. There's only two buses serving the WFC, as opposed to the previous 3...

I knew about the Marinera Harbor situation with the SIM30. Have the SIM3 and SIM30 been SRO and leaving passengers too? Seems like most of the overcrowding has been with the SIM6 and SIM7.

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I knew about the Marinera Harbor situation with the SIM30. Have the SIM3 and SIM30 been SRO and leaving passengers too? Seems like most of the overcrowding has been with the SIM6 and SIM7.

The SIM3 is the MTA's baby. They have adequate service overall on that route. For the SIM30 a few residents from Mariners Harbor mentioned they had to stand going home (and some said the AM buses have all the seats taken, but when school comes back in session, that will most likely be a problem).

1 minute ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The SIM3 is the MTA's baby. They have adequate service overall on that route. For the SIM30 a few residents from Mariners Harbor mentioned they had to stand going home (and some said the AM buses have all the seats taken, but when school comes back in session, that will most likely be a problem).

I'm surprised it isn't worse on the SIM30. I suspect more people are driving from certain areas like mine which was a growing trend.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I haven't heard anything about the 30 but it doesn't take rocket science to figure that's what the people in the harbor are doing. 

I've heard about the overcrowding the most on the 1, 10 and towards the evenings the 4. I've been good on the 6 both ways but the 6s are making it through, better than the 10s on some days.  

Archived