New express bus service: MTA continues to answer riders' concerns

Lil 57

23 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The SIM3 is the MTA's baby. They have adequate service overall on that route. For the SIM30 a few residents from Mariners Harbor mentioned they had to stand going home (and some said the AM buses have all the seats taken, but when school comes back in session, that will most likely be a problem).

The second I saw the SIM3, the immediate thing that came to mind was "what a lame ass x10 cut"....

Quick question though....

How do you think a (peak) route to Midtown, emanating at [Castleton/ Jewett] - going Castleton > Pt. Richmond > Forest > Victory > Clove > Narrows, etc. would fare?
And/or, a (peak) route to Midtown, emanating at [Richmond Terr./South av] - going South > Forest > Manor > Martling > Slosson > SIE, etc.?

I ask, on the strength that there really should be another Midtown route up in the North Shore other than the SIM30 (running clear across SI, via NJ) & the SIM3 (that only runs as far west as Pt. Richmond)...

....and in typing this, I just realized that they basically resurrected the old x13 as the SIM35.... Sneaky sons of....

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The second I saw the SIM3, the immediate thing that came to mind was "what a lame ass x10 cut"....

Quick question though....

How do you think a (peak) route to Midtown, emanating at [Castleton/ Jewett] - going Castleton > Pt. Richmond > Forest > Victory > Clove > Narrows, etc. would fare?
And/or, a (peak) route to Midtown, emanating at [Richmond Terr./South av] - going South > Forest > Manor > Martling > Slosson > SIE, etc.?

I ask, on the strength that there really should be another Midtown route up in the North Shore other than the SIM30 (running clear across SI, via NJ) & the SIM3 (that only runs as far west as Pt. Richmond)...

....and in typing this, I just realized that they basically resurrected the old x13 as the SIM35.... Sneaky sons of....

Funny you mention that, because I actually had an idea to split the X30 up (basically, have the actual X30/SIM30 start at Forest & Jewett, and have a new route take the old X16 route but run to Midtown. Let's call it SIM36 for now). The eastern end of the route gets low ridership because it's relatively close to the ferry, but it's still inconvenient enough where express bus service is warranted.

There actually wasn't anything really wrong with the old X16, but given that the MTA likely doesn't want to bring back the old X13/14 pattern back, this would be a good compromise (At least Sunnyside/Concord get their direct Midtown service back. Those up around Martling would still have to take the SIM35 down to connect with the SIM36, or walk/drive down to the SIM3). Basically, the same as your first proposal except I wouldn't have it serving as much of Port Richmond as you do.

That second route you mention, I like the idea of an express route down Slosson (since that's an entrance to the HOV lane), but the issue I see with that is that the ridership base is too narrow. You're basically just getting the X14 riders in Westerleigh and once you get to Forest (especially further west), you're in X30/X42 territory. I think it's better to let the SIM3/30 cover the areas they do, and focus the new route on the areas east of there. 

52 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Funny you mention that, because I actually had an idea to split the X30 up (basically, have the actual X30/SIM30 start at Forest & Jewett, and have a new route take the old X16 route but run to Midtown. Let's call it SIM36 for now). The eastern end of the route gets low ridership because it's relatively close to the ferry, but it's still inconvenient enough where express bus service is warranted.

There actually wasn't anything really wrong with the old X16, but given that the MTA likely doesn't want to bring back the old X13/14 pattern back, this would be a good compromise (At least Sunnyside/Concord get their direct Midtown service back. Those up around Martling would still have to take the SIM35 down to connect with the SIM36, or walk/drive down to the SIM3). Basically, the same as your first proposal except I wouldn't have it serving as much of Port Richmond as you do.

That second route you mention, I like the idea of an express route down Slosson (since that's an entrance to the HOV lane), but the issue I see with that is that the ridership base is too narrow. You're basically just getting the X14 riders in Westerleigh and once you get to Forest (especially further west), you're in X30/X42 territory. I think it's better to let the SIM3/30 cover the areas they do, and focus the new route on the areas east of there. 

I wouldn't do anything to the SIM30.... I'm trying to think up at least one other option for Midtown service (other than the SIM3).

Like VG8, I'm also surprised that the SIM30 isn't seeing sardine can, SRO level usage....

35 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'd run the 30 up until the two branches split and combine the two branches into a separate route via Brooklyn (Kinda like the old X18)

While I don't disagree with that proposal, I think it would be better to bring back the X18 outright. The SIR tracks that separate Concord/Park Hill from Rosebank are as much of a barrier as the hills that separate Concord/Park Hill from Silver Lake (or whatever you consider that neighborhood on the opposite side of Grymes Hill). 

I would do something similar to what Bee Line does with those W4 trips to Central Av.

Regarding that new shuttle that they came up with, I would just have the SIM1C operate regularly to ETC, then automatically switch to the new s66 route (basically the shuttle) and still have an in-seat transfer. Like how the W4 to Central changes to a W20 instantly. It's probably a dumb idea but hey, I'm trying to understand this new SIM stuff lol.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

I would do something similar to what Bee Line does with those W4 trips to Central Av.

Regarding that new shuttle that they came up with, I would just have the SIM1C operate regularly to ETC, then automatically switch to the new s66 route (basically the shuttle) and still have an in-seat transfer. Like how the W4 to Central changes to a W20 instantly. It's probably a dumb idea but hey, I'm trying to understand this new SIM stuff lol.

The SIM4C is still the quicker route than the SIM1C (and as SIMplicity said, they seem to be trying to coordinate with that route).

The issue is that they already made the schedules and runs for the drivers, so they're doing it piecemeal. Sure, it definitely makes sense to just have the SIM4C run to Arden Heights (though as I said, the frequency still needs work), but they already made the schedule for the SIM4C to terminate at the ETC (even though the sign says Annadale). I don't know if there's any trips that deadhead back to Manhattan for another trip (So those can't run as the shuttle), and any trips going back to the depot, I don't know if there's any union issues involved when extending the amount of in-service time (the driver expected to go to the ETC and deadhead to Charleston, but if they make him go all the way to Arden Heights and do a shorter deadhead, that might be an issue)

3 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The SIM4C is still the quicker route than the SIM1C (and as SIMplicity said, they seem to be trying to coordinate with that route).

The issue is that they already made the schedules and runs for the drivers, so they're doing it piecemeal. Sure, it definitely makes sense to just have the SIM4C run to Arden Heights (though as I said, the frequency still needs work), but they already made the schedule for the SIM4C to terminate at the ETC (even though the sign says Annadale). I don't know if there's any trips that deadhead back to Manhattan for another trip (So those can't run as the shuttle), and any trips going back to the depot, I don't know if there's any union issues involved when extending the amount of in-service time (the driver expected to go to the ETC and deadhead to Charleston, but if they make him go all the way to Arden Heights and do a shorter deadhead, that might be an issue)

But dont some OOS Express drivers cover local routes when needed?

Just now, Lawrence St said:

Time to hop on the SIM4 to downtown! :)

Silly... I feel for these people boy because this week is going to be a scorcher.  I had to ask my B/O to turn on the overhead blowers this morning.  Like really? It's going to be 90+ today with the humidity and into the upper 90s Tuesday and Wednesday. Having to stand in that and then stand on the express bus is no fun at all.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Silly... I feel for these people boy because this week is going to be a scorcher.  I had to ask my B/O to turn on the overhead blowers this morning.  Like really? It's going to be 90+ today with the humidity and into the upper 90s Tuesday and Wednesday. Having to stand in that and then stand on the express bus is no fun at all.

I nearly got hit by a BxM3 today so that wasnt fun either lmao.

But why are some of these B/O's so nasty when you try to talk with them to get them to turn on the AC...

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

I nearly got hit by a BxM3 today so that wasnt fun either lmao.

But why are some of these B/O's so nasty when you try to talk with them to get them to turn on the AC...

It's their bus.  That's their attitude.  My uncle wasn't rude but that's how he explained it. When passengers get on they feel like they are stepping into their house and they must respect it.  I think it's a bit overboard.  I will say that I generally don't have to ask about the AC too often, as it is usually on. I think she just forgot to turn on the blowers.  However, on a day like this, the AC that comes through the side vents simply isn't enough.  It was already almost 80 degrees this morning, so I was not sitting on an express bus with no windows to open in that weather with no AC.  Not happening. Meanwhile in the winter time, they have the AC blasting with NO heat. You can't make this stuff up. 

44 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's their bus.  That's their attitude.  My uncle wasn't rude but that's how he explained it. When passengers get on they feel like they are stepping into their house and they must respect it.  I think it's a bit overboard.  I will say that I generally don't have to ask about the AC too often, as it is usually on. I think she just forgot to turn on the blowers.  However, on a day like this, the AC that comes through the side vents simply isn't enough.  It was already almost 80 degrees this morning, so I was not sitting on an express bus with no windows to open in that weather with no AC.  Not happening. Meanwhile in the winter time, they have the AC blasting with NO heat. You can't make this stuff up. 

My girl acutally got in trouble one morning cause she didnt have on the AC on her first trip....Lady didnt even asked to put it on she just went and complained to her garage...Winter a different story...Heat most of the time work in the passenger area not the driver's....

12 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

My girl acutally got in trouble one morning cause she didnt have on the AC on her first trip....Lady didnt even asked to put it on she just went and complained to her garage...Winter a different story...Heat most of the time work in the passenger area not the driver's....

I will ask and give them an opportunity.  Going back and forth, I realize sometimes it slips their mind, especially since they aren't in the conditions.  Depending on which stop I walk to, I have a 5-10 minute walk in the morning, mainly up hills, as most blocks in Riverdale involve hills of some sort, so by the time I reach the stop, I'm thinking about AC, especially in this weather.  We pretty much don't get heat on the Yonkers buses at all in the winter, which irritates the hell out of me because they will turn on the blowers too, so you have nothing but cold air blowing on you, no matter cold it is outside. It's crazy.

On Staten Island, some buses will have heat.  If you sit in the back though, most of the time you can forget about any heat. I don't get how these buses are so expensive and in 2018 they still don't have proper climate control for them.  I've also been on some of those Prevosts that were HORRIBLE. Last year I got on an X28. Sweltering outside and the bus was like an oven. I asked the B/O and he was like the AC is turned on as high as it can go.  The HVAC clearly hadn't been maintained in God knows when. I found one little spot in the middle of the bus that had a bit of AC and made the best of it. lol

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I will ask and give them an opportunity.  Going back and forth, I realize sometimes it slips their mind, especially since they aren't in the conditions.  Depending on which stop I walk to, I have a 5-10 minute walk in the morning, mainly up hills, as most blocks in Riverdale involve hills of some sort, so by the time I reach the stop, I'm thinking about AC, especially in this weather.  We pretty much don't get heat on the Yonkers buses at all in the winter, which irritates the hell out of me because they will turn on the blowers too, so you have nothing but cold air blowing on you, no matter cold it is outside. It's crazy.

On Staten Island, some buses will have heat.  If you sit in the back though, most of the time you can forget about any heat. I don't get how these buses are so expensive and in 2018 they still don't have proper climate control for them.  I've also been on some of those Prevosts that were HORRIBLE. Last year I got on an X28. Sweltering outside and the bus was like an oven. I asked the B/O and he was like the AC is turned on as high as it can go.  The HVAC clearly hadn't been maintained in God knows when. I found one little spot in the middle of the bus that had a bit of AC and made the best of it. lol

I live in Brooklyn but be in jersey city 2 weeks out of 4 with my girl and family..I must say NJT MCI'S are not like that...Shit in the summer my girl blast the AC and in the winter she doesnt leave her garage without her bus having proper HEAT or AC....Just cause its your bus on duty doesnt make it your gas in route....Thats something a commuter said to my girl with that attitude of this my bus my ways....

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've made a mention of that on here in the past & I don't care much for that snarky "my bus" attitude either.... I understand it's their responsibility to operate that bus, but if it isn't a bus you purchased, seriously, I don't want to hear it.... I've gotten off buses because of that very thing (I'm not just talking NYC/MTA buses either); talking about no eating on my bus, this, that, & the third... I don't mind if you tell me that eating isn't allowed on the bus, that's one thing, I'll respect that - but the my bus shit? nope, I'm out , f*** you - and you can take "your bus" and shove it....

As far as HVAC goes, well you're not going to catch me ever complaining that a bus is too cold (even w/ the AC on in the winter) :D.... No AC in the summer though, in my younger days, I would call myself tryna "tough it out" for the duration of the trip (esp. with those O5's that used to run on the BM's some odd years ago), but nowadays, I get off & catch another bus; last thing I want to do is inconvenience anyone by being a sick passenger on a bus.... I'm not confronting any b/o over HVAC issues; not worth the hassle & all you're gonna get is that "I can't control the heat/AC" bit from some of these b/o's anyway....

Just now, B35 via Church said:

I've made a mention of that on here in the past & I don't care much for that snarky "my bus" attitude either.... I understand it's their responsibility to operate that bus, but if it isn't a bus you purchased, seriously, I don't want to hear it.... I've gotten off buses because of that very thing (I'm not just talking NYC/MTA buses either); talking about no eating on my bus, this, that, & the third... I don't mind if you tell me that eating isn't allowed on the bus, that's one thing, I'll respect that - but the my bus shit? nope, I'm out , f*** you - and you can take "your bus" and shove it....

As far as HVAC goes, well you're not going to catch me ever complaining that a bus is too cold (even w/ the AC on in the winter) :D.... No AC in the summer though, in my younger days, I would call myself tryna "tough it out" for the duration of the trip (esp. with those O5's that used to run on the BM's some odd years ago), but nowadays, I get off & catch another bus; last thing I want to do is inconvenience anyone by being a sick passenger on a bus.... I'm not confronting any b/o over HVAC issues; not worth the hassle & all you're gonna get is that "I can't control the heat/AC" bit from some of these b/o's anyway....

I generally make a rule of not eating on the express bus or any bus for that matter. I will drink water or have a small snack, but I've seen people on the Staten Island express buses come on with a whole frigging box of pizza and eat it (X10 of course lol)!  Come on... Ridiculous. One night I had bought a sandwich as it was late and I was hungry. I was finishing it at the bus stop and the bus came early (X10).  I get on with it and the guy is like I got no windows man. I was quite pissed because he made a big stink about it after I had dipped and I only had a few bites left. I just got off. He knew I was a regular and I don't eat food like that, so I finished it and waited for the next bus.  With the way these SI buses have been over packed though, I'm sure my patience would be tried for sure.  The aisles are narrow enough as it is...

12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The shuttle is called the S66? That's bound to call confusion with the actual S66.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Ac blasting no heat in winter? That's not the b.o fault, the Climate control is either on or off that's it we have no control whatsoever on tempature in passenger area, the only temp that we can control is the drivers vents and that's all. 

2 hours ago, trife86 said:

Ac blasting no heat in winter? That's not the b.o fault, the Climate control is either on or off that's it we have no control whatsoever on tempature in passenger area, the only temp that we can control is the drivers vents and that's all. 

They don't control what comes out, but if you know there is no heat on the bus in the dead winter, why in the world would anyone turn on the overhead blowers when it's 20 degrees outside?  I had to bite my tongue during the winter months last year because there was a B/O that I would get who I was cool with, but I'd be on the bus so cranky just stepping out of the cold and onto a bus with the AC pumping.

19 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Again?! Good grief...

I think it's going to be worse once school starts up.  Really bad in fact.  This is a time when people take off and there's this much overcrowding. Big problem... Even if they want to address the overcrowding, they need to add so many buses that it may take months before we see any real resolve to this problem.

Archived