The new era begins

Xfer2Nowhere

36 minutes ago, Deucey said:

SIMxx just looks dumb. I would've just used a numbering scheme with just numbers:

100-199 - SI to Manhattan

200-299 - Bk to Manhattan

300-399 - Queens to Manhattan

400-499 - Bx to Manhattan

Your numbering scheme plan is even more dumb. We are the only City with counties inside of it, so the prefixes actually make sense. You just made us all confused.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Your numbering scheme plan is even more dumb. We are the only City with counties inside of it, so the prefixes actually make sense. You just made us all confused.

Nope, just you.

And New York is not the only city in America in multiple counties. It's not even the only municipality in NYS in multiple counties.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

SIMxx just looks dumb. I would've just used a numbering scheme with just numbers:

This is sort of what I mentioned a few months back. However still keeping the (X) prefix for SI. 

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

I kinda like the SIM cause the old PBL and MTA Bus still uses something silmar for express bus labeling. It's almost feels like the TA is paying homage to the old PBL lol.

4 hours ago, Deucey said:

Nope, just you.

And New York is not the only city in America in multiple counties. It's not even the only municipality in NYS in multiple counties.

And why would you propose getting rid of the letter prefixes for express buses? Those letter prefixes (at least the MTA Bus and Staten Island prefixes) help passengers distinguish which express bus goes to what borough from the Manhattan end. When this merger will be complete, I could envision the X prefix being phased out and the MTA Bus labeling being used (i.e, X27 becoming BM6, X63 becoming QM63, etc). Having letter prefixes helps bus passengers navigate the system, especially on the express buses.

Also name another city in America that has multiple counties inside its borders like NYC.

28 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

And why would you propose getting rid of the letter prefixes for express buses? Those letter prefixes (at least the MTA Bus and Staten Island prefixes) help passengers distinguish which express bus goes to what borough from the Manhattan end. When this merger will be complete, I could envision the X prefix being phased out and the MTA Bus labeling being used (i.e, X27 becoming BM6, X63 becoming QM63, etc). Having letter prefixes helps bus passengers navigate the system, especially on the express buses.

Also name another city in America that has multiple counties inside its borders like NYC.

I'll just leave this here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._municipalities_in_multiple_counties#New_York

7 hours ago, Deucey said:

Thats confusing and would be for a lot of people. A numbering scheme would work for a city that is within a central area. NYC is unlike many other cities where each borough is like its own city. Why would you have 100-199 to start and end somewhere when many borough have its own downtown area and other hubs? We have prefixes to help separate routes within other boroughs as well. Someone else said we should use number schemes as well but again NYC isn't like a Los Angelos or where ever. That would be just as confusing as getting rid of letters and numbers for our subway and replacing it with destinations signs.  

9 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Thats confusing and would be for a lot of people. A numbering scheme would work for a city that is within a central area. NYC is unlike many other cities where each borough is like its own city. Why would you have 100-199 to start and end somewhere when many borough have its own downtown area and other hubs? We have prefixes to help separate routes within other boroughs as well. Someone else said we should use number schemes as well but again NYC isn't like a Los Angelos or where ever. That would be just as confusing as getting rid of letters and numbers for our subway and replacing it with destinations signs.  

@Deucey's number system would work however since borough express routes are separated by prefixes 1,2,3, and 4 respectively, each number representing the borough it came from or will go to. It may be confusing at first but it's not too different than the prefix system today. This has nothing to do with NYC being "special" . Also, for your example, the letters and numbers of a subway don't mean much, so long as people know where the thing is going. 

8 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

@Deucey's number system would work however since borough express routes are separated by prefixes 1,2,3, and 4 respectively, each number representing the borough it came from or will go to. It may be confusing at first but it's not too different than the prefix system today. This has nothing to do with NYC being "special" . Also, for your example, the letters and numbers of a subway don't mean much, so long as people know where the thing is going. 

That’s the thing people won’t know because a numbering system wouldn’t do much to help. Most people who take the bus in nyc do it locally within their bourough. A numbering system would work if nyc wasn’t 5 different bouroughs and people would generically traveling to the same areas but in nyc they don’t. For example if buses 1-100 were going to Manhattan how many routes in the outer bouroughs would people need to take to Manhattan? Not much because most people arrive there by train. On top of that Manhattan isn’t the only major destination for New Yorkers to get to work. Now a numbering scheme for each bourough might work. For instance in Brooklyn most of the 40 numbered bus routes go from south of the bourough to the north. Some routes from 1-11 goes from east to west of the bourough and some 50 numbered buses goes from the north east of the bourough to downtown Brooklyn. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

What's so difficult about being in Manhattan and seeing a 102 bus with Tottenville on the destination sign? And a 202 taking you to Sheepshead Bay?

Even you had to learn what BxM meant. What's so difficult about numbers vs letters?

54 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

That’s the thing people won’t know because a numbering system wouldn’t do much to help. Most people who take the bus in nyc do it locally within their bourough. A numbering system would work if nyc wasn’t 5 different bouroughs and people would generically traveling to the same areas but in nyc they don’t. For example if buses 1-100 were going to Manhattan how many routes in the outer bouroughs would people need to take to Manhattan? Not much because most people arrive there by train. On top of that Manhattan isn’t the only major destination for New Yorkers to get to work. Now a numbering scheme for each bourough might work. For instance in Brooklyn most of the 40 numbered bus routes go from south of the bourough to the north. Some routes from 1-11 goes from east to west of the bourough and some 50 numbered buses goes from the north east of the bourough to downtown Brooklyn. 

Funny how you said what I said but still got it wrong.

100-199 to Staten Island

200-299 to Brooklyn

300-399 to Queens

400-499 to Bronx

Now if you wanna get granular, you could lump buses by parts of the boroughs they terminate in - like 100-119 via tunnel and South Shore, 120-139 via NJ, blah blah.

But given how even local buses have numbers randomly assigned with  common destinations - B38, B52, B26, B25 - but no discernible pattern, dunno why you'd think a 105 to SI Mall and a 104 to Bricktown via Tunnel would be confusing...

28 minutes ago, Deucey said:

What's so difficult about being in Manhattan and seeing a 102 bus with Tottenville on the destination sign? And a 202 taking you to Sheepshead Bay?

Even you had to learn what BxM meant. What's so difficult about numbers vs letters?

The letter prefixes make it easier to know which express bus goes where. Numbers alone won’t be enough, even if we gave them a pamphlet that described the changes. If we want to increase bus ridership, then we need to make the system more understandable. Prefixes actually are better for them for both tourists and locals to understand, since they have rhythm and rhyme to them. After this merger, I expect the X prefix to be phased out and replaced with two (or three in the case of the Bronx and Staten Island) letter prefixes, with the last letter being Manhattan. This scheme would be as follows:

• Mxx: Manhattan local, limited and SBS
  • BxXX: Bronlocal, Limited, and SBS
  • Bxx: Brookyn local, limited, and SBS
  • Qxx: Queens local, limited, and SBS
  • SIxx: Staten Island local, limited and SBS
  • BxMxx: Bronx-to-Manhattan express
  • BMxx: Brooklyn-to-Manhattan express
  • QMxx: Queens-to-Manhattan express
  • SIMxx: Staten Istand-to-Manhattan express

This would be the way to make modern bus service. Simple and basic, no more, no less.

38 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The letter prefixes make it easier to know which express bus goes where. Numbers alone won’t be enough, even if we gave them a pamphlet that described the changes. If we want to increase bus ridership, then we need to make the system more understandable. Prefixes actually are better for them for both tourists and locals to understand, since they have rhythm and rhyme to them. After this merger, I expect the X prefix to be phased out and replaced with two (or three in the case of the Bronx and Staten Island) letter prefixes, with the last letter being Manhattan. This scheme would be as follows:

• Mxx: Manhattan local, limited and SBS
  • BxXX: Bronlocal, Limited, and SBS
  • Bxx: Brookyn local, limited, and SBS
  • Qxx: Queens local, limited, and SBS
  • SIxx: Staten Island local, limited and SBS
  • BxMxx: Bronx-to-Manhattan express
  • BMxx: Brooklyn-to-Manhattan express
  • QMxx: Queens-to-Manhattan express
  • SIMxx: Staten Istand-to-Manhattan express

This would be the way to make modern bus service. Simple and basic, no more, no less.

Leave Staten Island local the way it is, with just the “S”

9 hours ago, Deucey said:

The BxM4c can be very confusing to someone. That bus doesn't even stop in the Bronx.

21 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

LET THE SIM GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The BxM4c can be very confusing to someone. That bus doesn't even stop in the Bronx.

That is well be true. Originally, it’s known as BL-28, but the route has to go thru the Bronx just to get to Manhattan. I remember when it was a 7 day service, now it’s peak service only. 

22 hours ago, Xfer2Nowhere said:

yA33MAX.jpg

WGNRyn5.jpg

oRKoRHJ.jpg

I don't know why the destination sign just says "Midtown". Where in Midtown is the bus going? They should of put something like, "Midtown, Central Park South" and, "East Midtown, 57 Street" so people know where in midtown it's going. Same with the 14th Street Buses, they should of had something like, "Greenwich Village, 14th Street". They do have "Downtown, Worth Street" and "Downtown, Frankfurt Street" which is good. The SIM15 should really say "Downtown Loop".

To throw my own two cents in to the route designation debacle, I'm on the side that says a five-character route number (like SIM3c) is absurdly awkward - how many cities have you seen with five-digit numbers for bus routes? The prefixes should always be one letter, and express buses should be X___, using a numbering system like @Deucey's. You'd have to change around some of the borough designations (Brooklyn could be K for Kings, Bronx simply B, Staten Island could be S or R if you wanted to avoid duplicating Suffolk), and like anything else, people would figure it out quickly. QM, BM, and especially BxM and SIM give us route numbers that are way too long from the start.

3 minutes ago, officiallyliam said:

To throw my own two cents in to the route designation debacle, I'm on the side that says a five-character route number (like SIM3c) is absurdly awkward - how many cities have you seen with five-digit numbers for bus routes? The prefixes should always be one letter, and express buses should be X___, using a numbering system like @Deucey's. You'd have to change around some of the borough designations (Brooklyn could be K for Kings, Bronx simply B, Staten Island could be S or R if you wanted to avoid duplicating Suffolk), and like anything else, people would figure it out quickly. QM, BM, and especially BxM and SIM give us route numbers that are way too long from the start.

The CNYDOS (Garbage) has that prefix that is like that. 

Archived