BVE Realism question

Y2Julio

This question goes to the T/Os in the forum. Not sure if this is the proper forum for this, if it's not, feel free to move it. If any of you played BVE before, how accurate is in regards to operating a real train? is it close? not close at all?

This question goes to the T/Os in the forum. Not sure if this is the proper forum for this, if it's not, feel free to move it. If any of you played BVE before, how accurate is in regards to operating a real train? is it close? not close at all?

even though i'm not a T/O, i can tell you one thing: some of the NYC Subway trains made for BVE are too fast.

I like playing it fast.....I be clocking 90+ doing express routes and 70+ doing local routes:D my customers love me;)

Actually, if you use the new version of OpenBVE, they would hate you. OpenBVE has the new feature that rates your previous train runs and one of the deductions they take off from your score is passenger discomfort. So if you like entering a station at 70+MPH and stopping at the marker, you will have LOTS of deductions :(

Well BVE is faster but the NYCT routes look almost like the real thing. The closest train set where It feels like the real thing is the R32 and R160. The others are harder to stop then the real thing. I be Fired if my operation was based on BVE. However most of it is on point like Motor noise , door chimes and views. Just the braken need to be worked on.

The R68A in BVE doesn't have an delay in its braking system wheres the real life one does. And the BVE R44 the brakes are too slow and hard to stop, same goes for the R46... However the R32, R38 and R40S are easy to operate as well as the redbird in BVE. The R142 and R160 take off too fast, but the braking is ok though.

The R68A in BVE doesn't have an delay in its braking system wheres the real life one does. And the BVE R44 the brakes are too slow and hard to stop, same goes for the R46... However the R32, R38 and R40S are easy to operate as well as the redbird in BVE. The R142 and R160 take off too fast, but the braking is ok though.

Really? I find that the R142/R160 take forever to take off and forever to stop.

Actually, if you use the new version of OpenBVE, they would hate you. OpenBVE has the new feature that rates your previous train runs and one of the deductions they take off from your score is passenger discomfort. So if you like entering a station at 70+MPH and stopping at the marker, you will have LOTS of deductions :(

They a bunch of hatas then lol

Really? I find that the R142/R160 take forever to take off and forever to stop.

Those 142's and 160's in BVE takeoff really fast, the thing with 142's is that try not to come into a station faster than 50 KPH everytime i do i overshoot the station. On local part of the (2) line i go no higher than 48 KPH(30 MPH), on the express run however the sky is the limit. As for the 160's braking if i come into a station at 60 KPH i slow down as soon as i hit the platform...

Those 142's and 160's in BVE takeoff really fast, the thing with 142's is that try not to come into a station faster than 50 KPH everytime i do i overshoot the station. On local part of the (2) line i go no higher than 48 KPH(30 MPH), on the express run however the sky is the limit. As for the 160's braking if i come into a station at 60 KPH i slow down as soon as i hit the platform...

I agree with you on that....they are times when I play the (2) I've over shot the stations.....when I'm in the Clark Street Tunnel I'm doing over 100+ but b4 I hit Wall Street I slow down....when I'm doing express via 7th Avenue I'm doing 80+ but follow the signals when skippin Christopher Street!

I agree with you on that....they are times when I play the (2) I've over shot the stations.....when I'm in the Clark Street Tunnel I'm doing over 100+ but b4 I hit Wall Street I slow down....when I'm doing express via 7th Avenue I'm doing 80+ but follow the signals when skippin Christopher Street!

Yea i always follow those timers going into 14th street. The thing is when operate a redbird on the (2) line, the brakes are too good and i always undershoot the station!! I speed in the clark st tunnel as well, but slow down before i hit those curves.

Yeah as some has said it depends on the train you pick to play the game how "realistic" it seems. I'm not a T/O but I've operated trains (legally) before and trust me when I say that 40 (64 in BVE) "feels" fast when you're not used to it. 30 is a comfortable speed, but you shouldn't really doing much over 40. In the game, you wrap it for a few seconds on MOST trainsets you're already doing 35 (56), and under river tunnels you probably will be doing 60 (96), so it's quite unrealistic on some sets. As some have said the brake rates are a bit off on the R44/46, but I also think some trains stop too fast like the redbird, and maybe even the R68. As trainfan mentioned the R68A doesn't have a delayed brake application in the game. Also some of the cabs aren't quite right.

I will say this about the R160 though, that's a well built train in the game the only problem it was built to the manufacturers' original specs NOT to the way they are now. Same for the R44 (I think). I've done a little tweaking here and there to make things a bit more real, but now the BVE timetables say I'm always running late "where did you lose your time" heh :(

The R1 also stops way too fast, I don't know how to fix this, but you grab fifteen pounds and you stop just as fast as if you'd dumped the train. Grab 20 and you're probably out the front window...

I tried to make the R32 I built realistic when I made it, couple minor problems with it like not knowing how to use the metric system and some sound issues, but Im proud of it. I dont post on BVEstation outside of that project (hence I havent even checked that page in a couple months - too much foam :D) but its available there, my handle there is same as sub chat its straphanger9.

Well to me the R68A only has 5 brake handles not 8 and the R160 has 3 brake handles I think? R44 the brakes are too weakand the R142 brakes are weak.

The R-44 and R-142 brakes are not weak.....the R-68A is slow as hell.....when I play BVE the subway cars I use are the R-32 (only for the (E) line), R-44, R-142, R-142A and R-160

Yea i always follow those timers going into 14th street. The thing is when operate a redbird on the (2) line, the brakes are too good and i always undershoot the station!! I speed in the clark st tunnel as well, but slow down before i hit those curves.

I like the Redbird as well but I don't use it as often b/c I'm so use to using the subway cars with just the brakes and driving. The best route to play is the ficitional X route.....I love speeding down 2nd Avenue and Staten Island Express:D

The R-44 and R-142 brakes are not weak.....the R-68A is slow as hell.....when I play BVE the subway cars I use are the R-32 (only for the (E) line), R-44, R-142, R-142A and R-160

The R44's brakes are slow, i went into 145th st at 80 KPH one time and overshot the station and didn't stop until that junction where you merge with the (D) line!

I like the Redbird as well but I don't use it as often b/c I'm so use to using the subway cars with just the brakes and driving. The best route to play is the ficitional X route.....I love speeding down 2nd Avenue and Staten Island Express:D

Never played that one yet but the (K) is a cool fictional route as well. esp the express run in brookyn!

The R44's brakes are slow, i went into 145th st at 80 KPH one time and overshot the station and didn't stop until that junction where you merge with the (D) line!

Ah trust me I've overshoot 145th Street so many times....here my lil trick when I do 90+ after leaving Washington Heights-168th Street....right b4 it say 145th Street....just hit the down arrow (I think its to slow down) as soon arrive @ 145th Street you should be down and stop @ the 10 car marker!

Never played that one yet but the (K) is a cool fictional route as well. esp the express run in brookyn!

I like the (K) also....I like the New Jersey express and Brooklyn express.....but the Brooklyn goes up to Avenue U-Kings Plaza:eek: lol

Archived