Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
MysteriousBtrain

MTA Bus Operations: On-board screens and announcements

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, RTSTdrive said:

As reputable as Clever Devices is, it feels as if the problems regarding their screens (on our buses at least) are more of a result of how they're installed compared to that of other transit agencies. Often times it's the video input of the CD screens on the Xcelsiors that tend to go out despite the audio still playing perfectly fine. Personally havent encountered problems on the NG screens but i wouldn't be surprised about those having their own share of bugs.

Honestly, we should've gone with simpler LED boards like those seen on the 38xx NGs for the M34 SBS during their first few years in service as well as those installed over on the ex-LIB/NICE bus fleet but a pipe dream can only go so far...

My only gripe with the Luminators is that if they reach a stop that is located far enough from the actual intersection it's posted for (or wherever it's pinned to on BusTime), they tend to announce the next stop prematurely while the Vianova or Clever Devices setups typically never have those problems.

In a perfect world, whoever programmed the Vianova TTS should've done away with the "Next Stop" and "This Stop is..." portion of the announcements and just deliver the stop names+transfers instead just to cut down on time (especially when running on local routes with stops being spaced so near to each other).

I definitely agree with the Version 4 making announcements prematurely since it reacts faster. They really need to align the BusTime stop makers on the map with the actual physical locations that DOT has. When the Vianovas make the next stop announcement prematurely, then you know the stops aren't aligned correctly on BusTime. 

 

Edit: I'll be posting the roster on each page so we don't have to refer to each page for what's been updated and what hasn't been updated. If only a moderator could've had this thread pinned so we can have a master list on the first page, that would've been nice. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RTSTdrive said:

In a perfect world, whoever programmed the Vianova TTS should've done away with the "Next Stop" and "This Stop is..." portion of the announcements and just deliver the stop names+transfers instead just to cut down on time (especially when running on local routes with stops being spaced so near to each other).

Nah, “Next Stop” and “This Stop Is” announcements are extremely helpful for me and probably most passengers. That’s actually the one reason why Version 3 announcements confuse me; they just say the stop name even though they haven’t reached it yet which seems like we are already at the stop (if that makes sense).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Nah, “Next Stop” and “This Stop Is” announcements are extremely helpful for me and probably most passengers. That’s actually the one reason why Version 3 announcements confuse me; they just say the stop name even though they haven’t reached it yet which seems like we are already at the stop (if that makes sense).

I agree with this too...that's why IN A PERFECT WORLD...

All buses would have Version 4 (Luminators) and all stops on BusTime would be aligned with the actual physical stops so there are no premature announcements, and everyone will be happy. Fast refresh rates, "next stop is...now arriving at" announcements, and half screens and full screens could be used throughout the bus. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I agree with this too...that's why IN A PERFECT WORLD...

All buses would have Version 4 (Luminators) and all stops on BusTime would be aligned with the actual physical stops so there are no premature announcements, and everyone will be happy. Fast refresh rates, "next stop is...now arriving at" announcements, and half screens and full screens could be used throughout the bus. 

What exactly determines which screens go on which buses? Why do some buses have Version 2, others have Version 3, and a small handful of buses with Version 4?

I’ve been curious to how come there isn’t just one type of screen used on all buses....

BTW, since you did the latest update, I was wondering if you knew what type of screens are equipped on 4019 (Manhattanville unit) and 4065 (Flatbush unit)? Is it the same screens that are installed on 4070-4095, 4245-4278 or the ones that are installed on the 3967-3990 bunch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add 237, 252 and 258 on that list. 

As far as signs go, the Vianova screens really aren't too bad. I like them a little better than what's in our XN40s. Only issue is they need to to trigger the "Next stop is..." announcement to go off shortly after leaving a stop and then announcing it ("This stop is...") once the bus is within 100 or so feet from the stop. I'm assuming this is GPS-based so there's definitely some kinks to work out.

The Clever Devices screens are okay, but they do work a little better than the Vianova screens when it comes to making announcements in some cases. They'll announce the next stop in between stops practically (such as, "86th Street, 4th Avenue") but very simplified.

Quote

Hopefully its version 2 not version 3 as the Clever Devices screens are terrible and barely work.

Funny you say that. They do tend to malfunction compared to the Vianova screens... And some drivers prefer these Xcelsiors solely because they are all equipped with the Clever Devices systems...

Edited by SoSpectacular

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Snorunts said:

What exactly determines which screens go on which buses? Why do some buses have Version 2, others have Version 3, and a small handful of buses with Version 4?

I’ve been curious to how come there isn’t just one type of screen used on all buses....

BTW, since you did the latest update, I was wondering if you knew what type of screens are equipped on 4019 (Manhattanville unit) and 4065 (Flatbush unit)? Is it the same screens that are installed on 4070-4095, 4245-4278 or the ones that are installed on the 3967-3990 bunch?

Yeah I have no idea how they determine the decisions they make. No communication with the public or drivers what so ever. 

I believe 4019 and 4065 have the small box style Clever Device screen. 

4 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Add 237, 252 and 258 on that list. 

As far as signs go, the Vianova screens really aren't too bad. I like them a little better than what's in our XN40s. Only issue is they need to to trigger the "Next stop is..." announcement to go off shortly after leaving a stop and then announcing it ("This stop is...") once the bus is within 100 or so feet from the stop. I'm assuming this is GPS-based so there's definitely some kinks to work out.

The Clever Devices screens are okay, but they do work a little better than the Vianova screens when it comes to making announcements in some cases. They'll announce the next stop in between stops practically (such as, "86th Street, 4th Avenue") but very simplified.

Funny you say that. They do tend to malfunction compared to the Vianova screens... And some drivers prefer these Xcelsiors solely because they are all equipped with the Clever Devices systems...

That's my only gripe with Version 2, the refresh rate takes too long (especially with the local routes), and it announces the "this stop is" way to early before arriving at the stop.

Seems like the MTA is too busy worrying about just getting screens on the buses to meet ADA requirements and such, but has no interest in actually making the systems more realistic and convenient. The Luminators did this the most, and look, they only ordered a few which means it's probably the most expensive...well hey you get what you pay for...quality. 

Now let's act like we're the ones who actually need to use the info screens...tourists and handicap people...

If you're riding a local bus with Version 2 at night...

By time the next stop announcement goes off, you're already by the next stop, so by time you pull the Stop Request cord, the driver night not be able to stop in time. 

If you're a blind person on a bus with Clever Devices...

if you hear "92nd St , 7th Ave", how do you know that isn't just someone talking? Or if it makes the announcement prematurely and you're really at the stop before that one and end up getting off when the door opens?

 

Who can we report these too? Another thing we need to report are the lack of inconsistencies between the actual physical stops and where they're located on the BusTime map. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could just not be looking in the right spot on their website, but I don't see the Luminator (Version 4) signs there. They might have been discontinued.

IMO Version 2 is perfect in all aspects except the stop triggers and that's the one thing they need to tweak. There was one of the 2019 LFSAs on the M34 that had the stop triggers adjusted back in the summer but I don't remember the number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I could just not be looking in the right spot on their website, but I don't see the Luminator (Version 4) signs there. They might have been discontinued.

Here you go: https://www.ltgglobal.com/mass-transit/bus/north-america-bus-solutions/infotainment-systems/infotainment-displays/

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 7:24 PM, RTSTdrive said:

As reputable as Clever Devices is, it feels as if the problems regarding their screens (on our buses at least) are more of a result of how they're installed compared to that of other transit agencies. Often times it's the video input of the CD screens on the Xcelsiors that tend to go out despite the audio still playing perfectly fine. Personally havent encountered problems on the NG screens but i wouldn't be surprised about those having their own share of bugs.

Honestly, we should've gone with simpler LED boards like those seen on the 38xx NGs for the M34 SBS during their first few years in service as well as those installed over on the ex-LIB/NICE bus fleet but a pipe dream can only go so far...

My only gripe with the Luminators is that if they reach a stop that is located far enough from the actual intersection it's posted for (or wherever it's pinned to on BusTime), they tend to announce the next stop prematurely while the Vianova or Clever Devices setups typically never have those problems.

In a perfect world, whoever programmed the Vianova TTS should've done away with the "Next Stop" and "This Stop is..." portion of the announcements and just deliver the stop names+transfers instead just to cut down on time (especially when running on local routes with stops being spaced so near to each other).

That's exactly how I feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go again! 
I was just on #3935 on the M31. The bus did NOT have any sort of screens installed. So why is it reported to have Version 3? Whoever is making these false reports should start posting pictures of the on-board before the unit is listed. And unless you took a ride on a specific unit, it should not be reported. This isn’t a guessing game.

It’s the C40LF situation all over again....

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Here we go again! 
I was just on #3935 on the M31. The bus did NOT have any sort of screens installed. So why is it reported to have Version 3? Whoever is making these false reports should start posting pictures of the on-board before the unit is listed. And unless you took a ride on a specific unit, it should not be reported. This isn’t a guessing game.

It’s the C40LF situation all over again....

I feel like back when these screens first started getting installed people were assuming that the whole batch was getting them installed when they noticed a trend with fleet numbers. NEVER do that, but then again there's people here that just want to post to post because it makes them feel "official" or whatever lol. Bunch of lame losers. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I feel like back when these screens first started getting installed people were assuming that the whole batch was getting them installed when they noticed a trend with fleet numbers. NEVER do that, but then again there's people here that just want to post to post because it makes them feel "official" or whatever lol. Bunch of lame losers. 

 

It is also possible people may have gotten numbers mixed up (like you think you saw 356 with a screen but maybe it was 456 or 355 and etc). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

**As of December 5th, 2019**


Version 1 (Strategic) *Inactive* :

2014-15 New Flyer XD40: 7304-7314, 7316-7351 

Version 2 (Vianova) :

2010 NovaBus LFSA: 1234-1279, 1284-1285

2011-13 NovaBus LFSA: 5264-5266, 5799, 5822-5823, 5896, 5901-5935, 5965-5966

2011-13 New Flyer C40LF: 186, 193, 201, 206, 229, 231-232, 233-234, 236, 237, 238-239, 240, 241-242, 243, 245-246, 248, 249, 251, 252, 254, 256, 258, 259-262, 265-319, 322, 324, 325, 328, 333, 338, 340, 342, 343, 348-349, 352-353, 355, 357, 358, 359, 362-366, 368-401, 403-404, 405, 406-407, 409, 410, 411-415, 417, 419, 422, 426-428, 430, 432-433, 436-437, 439-441, 442-443, 444-445, 447, 495, 505, 508, 521, 526, 545, 564, 567

2011 NovaBus LFS: 8001, 8002, 8012, 8013, 8017, 8018, 8020, 8026, 8040, 8045, 8048, 8049, 8052

2014-15 New Flyer XD40: 7315, 7444-7445, 7447, 7449, 7451, 7453-7454, 7461, 7465, 7467-7468, 7470-7472, 7474-7475, 7477-7478, 7480-7482

2014-16 Prevost X3-45: 2729, 2788

2015-16 NovaBus LFS: 8090-8125, 8127-8503 (8126 scrapped before installation)

2017-18 New Flyer XN60: 1000-1109

2018-19 New Flyer XD40: 7484-7850

2018 New Flyer XDE40: 9500-9509

2018-19 NovaBus LFS: 8504-8754

2018-19 NovaBus LFSA: 5531-5602

Version 3 (Clever Devices) :

2008 Orion VII NG: 3800-3899, 3901-3921, 3940-3957

2009-10 Orion VII NG: 3967-3975, 3977, 3979-3981, 3983, 3985, 3987-3988, 3990, 4019*, 4020-4039, 4063, 4065, 4070-4095*, 4111-4112, 4115-4122, 4124-4127, 4136-4137, 4140-4169, 4245-4278*, 4433, 4442, 4447, 4451-4452, 4483-4512, 4516, 4520, 4529, 4532, 4631-4655

2014-15 New Flyer XD407107, 7111, 7114-7115, 7117, 7118, 7120, 7125, 7126, 7129, 7131, 7140, 7151-7152, 7154-7155, 7157-7160, 7161, 7164, 7169, 7180, 7189, 7201, 7227, 7229, 7242, 7251, 7257, 7259, 7261-7262, 7263, 7265-7269, 7275, 7276, 7277, 7279-7280, 7286, 7292, 7296, 7298

2016-17 New Flyer XN40: 673-810

2018-20 New Flyer XD60: 6126-6286

Version 4 (Luminator) :

2011-13 New Flyer C40LF: 570-658

Notes:

Buses with (*) have an older version of the specified model. 

My Updates:

  • 7465, 8012, 8018, 8026, 8040, 8045, 8048 have Version 2 screens
  • The handful of 2014-16 Prevosts have Vianova (Version 2) screens
  • All of JAMs Next Gens have Clev Dev screens: 4144-4169, 4631-4655. 
  • All of ECHs Next Gens have Clev Dev screens: 4020-4037, 4039, 4140-4143. 4485-4488
  • All of MJQs Next Gens have Clev Dev screens: 3800-3827, 3905-3921, 3941-3944, 4111-4112, 4115-4122, 4124-4127, 4136-4137
  • All of MCHs Next Gens have Clev Dev screens: 3828-3840, 3881-3899, 3901-3904
  • All of JFKs Next Gens have Clev Dev screens: 4144-4169, 4631-4655
  • All of LGAs Next Gens have Clev Dev screens: 4038, 4483-4484, 4489-4512. 
  • MHVs 3841-3880, and 3945-3959 batch of buses have Clev Dev screens

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to the thread. Let me know if I missed anything. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think all the 2009’s at Michael J. Quill have screens installed. There was one that I was on recently (forgot the #) which didn’t have them.

I do know for fact #4122 has them installed.
I’ll look more into it, you could be right though. @XcelsiorBoii4888

Edited by Snorunts
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Snorunts said:

I don’t think all the 2009’s at Michael J. Quill have screens installed. There was one that I was on recently (forgot the #) which didn’t have them.

I do know for fact #4122 has them installed.
I’ll look more into it, you could be right though. @XcelsiorBoii4888

If you can find that one bus let me know. Tuskegee buses do not have the screens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 4124-4126 from MJQ has no screens , 4127 has. 

 

7183, 7411 version 3. (be on the lookout for Casey Stengel XD40s)

 

216, 225, 345, 8015, 8018, 8024 version 2. 

 

JAM doesn't have NGs, I was talking about JFKs batch, which I mentioned twice. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Yeah, please look into it just in case.

The ones I am hunting for is 230, 235, 244, 247, 250, 253, 255, 257, 354, 360, 361, 367, 402, 408, 416, 418, 420, 421, 423, 424, 425, 429, 431, 434, 435, 438, 446. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

421 does have screens. Took the B63 yesterday to Brooklyn Heights and has announcements. I believe that is a version 2. 
 

Also I can report and verify that 408 also has screens. I boarded the B63 yesterday afternoon heading to Atlantic Avenue. That also has announcements. Version 2. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7221 has Version 3.

Saw it at Boerum Place & Schermerhorn Street while the driver on the 62 was taking his break. Although I wasn’t actually on the bus, I did see the screens through the window and got a picture. Message me on Instagram (same username) if you want to see. Not sure how to post pictures on this site.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.