Transit electrical helper exam 8611 results

tprashad0719

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied for LIRR third rail and I'm in training now (about 1 month)--would I be shooting myself in the foot going into this?  I didn't expect this to happen after waiting so long...not sure what to do.  I don't want to be stuck as a helper for 6 years just to make $30/hr.

56 minutes ago, mianyc said:

I applied for LIRR third rail and I'm in training now (about 1 month)--would I be shooting myself in the foot going into this?  I didn't expect this to happen after waiting so long...not sure what to do.  I don't want to be stuck as a helper for 6 years just to make $30/hr.

Are you working as a helper in third rail? You can always take the next exam for maintainer.

10 hours ago, mianyc said:

If you on top of your game and know your stuff and learn then you can take that promotional maintainer test and pass after like 2-3 years of being helper. I don’t know 100% but I doubt anybody stays a helper for that whole time period of 6 yrs. At least I hope they wouldn’t. You really are in a win win situation I dont think you be making mistake leaving LIRR or staying. They mostly make a little bit more money than transit. 

Copy from some news.  - The MTA says its Fast Forward Plan will add elevators to 50 stations within five years, bringing the total number of accessible stations to 168 - still only 35 percent of the total stations in the system.

3 hours ago, Sam26 said:

Copy from some news.  - The MTA says its Fast Forward Plan will add elevators to 50 stations within five years, bringing the total number of accessible stations to 168 - still only 35 percent of the total stations in the system.

Interesting , better for us

Whats going on fellas im new to the forum found the site trying to find some info about transit electrical helpers... I took the 8611 exam just like most of you and did the SPA back in November and just got called for processing as well and just recieved my letter in the mail for probable permanent position as well in Elevators. Is anyone here currently working in elevators that can give a little insight on what the daily process is like for the guys in the Elevator division? And what to expect? 

5 minutes ago, Oxl6665 said:

Spoke to my friend who is already there in signals he said elevator is better than everything else he said he wish he was in elevator. 

Nice..what boro does he work in and what shift does he work?