Transit electrical helper exam 8611 results

tprashad0719

I went in on Tuesday, did medical, after I did the medical, found out that medical isn't required for Elevator and apparently the front desk was trying to put us in Signals.  I said I didn't want Signals because my letter said Elevator and I accepted the offer based on that so they hired me for Elevator on the same day.  I start later this month.

HR has been really good throughout the whole process.

Edited by Hejazi A

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Richie95 said:

Within the 90s im also in the 400s but i have another friend whos a provisional TEH for signals and he said someone from our exam in the 400s started in january for signals as well so idk whats happening

I doubt that because the list wasn’t even established yet in January. Maybe from previous exam. 

37 minutes ago, Hejazi A said:

I went in on Tuesday, did medical, after I did the medical, found out that medical isn't required for Elevator and apparently the front desk was trying to put us in Signals.  I said I didn't want Signals because my letter said Elevator and I accepted the offer based on that so they hired me for Elevator on the same day.  I start later this month.

Congrats bro. How did they contact u ? Yea I don’t want to get switched to power or anything like that. I want to stay in elevators. One of better departments 

Just now, Josh327 said:

Congrats bro. How did they contact u ? Yea I don’t want to get switched to power or anything like that. I want to stay in elevators. One of better departments 

They called my phone then told me that they would send an email and I had to reply to the email as a confirmation saying that I had received it.

18 hours ago, Hejazi A said:

f**k man, you got lucky. They put me in power 😕 

I'm going to see if maybe i can switch.

And for people wondering, we are coming in as Permanent. I put provisional under one of the papers but the HR lady corrected me, she had me redo the whole page so it shows permanent. 

23 hours ago, Chro said:

f**k man, you got lucky. They put me in power 😕 

I'm going to see if maybe i can switch.

And for people wondering, we are coming in as Permanent. I put provisional under one of the papers but the HR lady corrected me, she had me redo the whole page so it shows permanent. 

don’t knock it til ya try it lol..good chance if you’re in power, you going to come to Cable Section

4 hours ago, GerardL said:

don’t knock it til ya try it lol..good chance if you’re in power, you going to come to Cable Section

I have a friend in power and he said it's the toughest of the branches, and he said cable is the most intense in the power section lol

Which section are you in and what is your opinion of it? 

11 hours ago, Chro said:

I have a friend in power and he said it's the toughest of the branches, and he said cable is the most intense in the power section lol

Which section are you in and what is your opinion of it? 

I’m in Cable Section lol..if he thinks its that intense then every other section must do nothing lol. I love it, I have no other section to compare it to but I don’t think we do that much labor intensive work. It’s more having the possibility of getting dirty because we’re always in manholes. The OT is always there and there’s room for quick movement because a lot of senior guys are retiring within the next 5 years. If you don’t like it, you put in for a transfer. Anyway, who’s your friend?

Some folks on here keep asking questions that can be answered just by reading the original exam application. MTA has a zero tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol. 

Read the Exam#8611 application. 

"Drug Screening Requirement: You must pass a drug screening in order to be appointed and if appointed, you will be subject to random drug and alcohol tests for the duration of your employment. Additionally, if you have tested positive on a drug or alcohol test or had a refusal to test during pre-employment or while employed by a Federal DOT-regulated employer during the applicable period, you must have completed the Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) process required by federal law in order to be appointed to this safety- sensitive position."

3 hours ago, GerardL said:

I’m in Cable Section lol..if he thinks its that intense then every other section must do nothing lol. I love it, I have no other section to compare it to but I don’t think we do that much labor intensive work. It’s more having the possibility of getting dirty because we’re always in manholes. The OT is always there and there’s room for quick movement because a lot of senior guys are retiring within the next 5 years. If you don’t like it, you put in for a transfer. Anyway, who’s your friend?

He works in the Bronx side, can't really give his name.

Since you seem to know alot, would it be difficult to be set up in The Bronx? I know you don't really get to choose but I don't think The Bronx is a very desirable station for most people. 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:37 PM, Hejazi A said:

Who did you speak to about putting you into elevator? I was initially supposed to be in elevator but for some reason they changed me to power. I'm trying to get this situation all sorted out since that's initially why I took the job.

28 minutes ago, bkthingz said:

Who did you speak to about putting you into elevator? I was initially supposed to be in elevator but for some reason they changed me to power. I'm trying to get this situation all sorted out since that's initially why I took the job.

Let me know if you figure it out, trying to do the same. 

5 hours ago, GerardL said:

Can you tell me a bit about the shifts and days off situation ? 

Do any of you guys know how quickly the vacancies are filling up? I'm in elevators and escalators and I have to go get my drivers license before I can finish the pre-employment. It would suck if I miss out on this job because of something as silly as not having a drivers license.

4 hours ago, Chro said:

He works in the Bronx side, can't really give his name.

Since you seem to know alot, would it be difficult to be set up in The Bronx? I know you don't really get to choose but I don't think The Bronx is a very desirable station for most people. 

Nope, BX is easy to go to. They’re actually shipping 6 helpers from BK days to BX Nights on the 30th. When you come in, Supervisor will usually ask where you want to go but in the end, the General Superintendent has the final say. Also it depends on your seniority within your class. Junior guys usually get sent to BX Nights. Your friend didn’t tell you all this? lol 

2 hours ago, nyc27 said:

Can you tell me a bit about the shifts and days off situation ? 

BK Days - Tues-Saturday 8am-4pm

BK Nights - 10pm-6am, not 100% sure if they’re off Sun Mon or Fri Sat

BX Days -  Sun-Thurs 8am-4pm

BX Nights - Sun- Thurs 10pm-6am..they start their week on Sunday Night for Monday

47 minutes ago, GerardL said:

Nope, BX is easy to go to. They’re actually shipping 6 helpers from BK days to BX Nights on the 30th. When you come in, Supervisor will usually ask where you want to go but in the end, the General Superintendent has the final say. Also it depends on your seniority within your class. Junior guys usually get sent to BX Nights. Your friend didn’t tell you all this? lol 

BK Days - Tues-Saturday 8am-4pm

BK Nights - 10pm-6am, not 100% sure if they’re off Sun Mon or Fri Sat

BX Days -  Sun-Thurs 8am-4pm

BX Nights - Sun- Thurs 10pm-6am..they start their week on Sunday Night for Monday

He told me that they go off the list and seniors get to choose. Everyone I asked said getting BX is easy but you never know. 

Do you know if Elevators/Esc have a headquaters like BK/BX or are they all over the place? I like the idea of getting a bronx shift lol The power department is like 15 mins away from me.

2 hours ago, Chro said:

He told me that they go off the list and seniors get to choose. Everyone I asked said getting BX is easy but you never know. 

Do you know if Elevators/Esc have a headquaters like BK/BX or are they all over the place? I like the idea of getting a bronx shift lol The power department is like 15 mins away from me.

Everybody gets a choice, if theres 10 guys and 9 say BK days, they all aint going to BK days. There's a quota. If I had to rank best chance of going where it would be; 1-BX Nights,2-BK Nights,3-BX Days,4-BK Days. A ton of guys just got promoted so helpers are scarce. Before this move on the 30th, BX Nights only has 2 helpers. And whatever helpers are left who are becoming permanent soon, will probably be promoted by August. As for E&E, I know nothing.

7 minutes ago, GerardL said:

Everybody gets a choice, if theres 10 guys and 9 say BK days, they all aint going to BK days. There's a quota. If I had to rank best chance of going where it would be; 1-BX Nights,2-BK Nights,3-BX Days,4-BK Days. A ton of guys just got promoted so helpers are scarce. Before this move on the 30th, BX Nights only has 2 helpers. And whatever helpers are left who are becoming permanent soon, will probably be promoted by August. As for E&E, I know nothing.

Oh cool, Thank for the info! Much appreciated.