Transit electrical helper exam 8611 results

tprashad0719

1 hour ago, Josh327 said:

I doubt they will call anyone before year is over. I would suppose Feb - April they would call ppl in. Nyct always takes awhile to call people. 

Not necessarily.. the thing is some guys obove on this post are already working on provisional terms. That's why I asked if the current working TEH's are hearing anything thru the grapevine. 

If there's staff shortages then they start calling ppl in for provisional positions before they even release the exams. 

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tprashad0719 said:

That is correct ,lately they been calling people in before the list gets established for temporary positions until the list gets established 

Provision position is when you get hired thru resume and never took a test ,in order for not to be provisional you need to take the civil exam

tprashad0719 are you already working as a TEH? 

Nope  I was called in for signal maintainer, but unfortunately during training I didnt pass 1 of the practical to move on ,

I took it in April 2017 and was called in October 2017,list still isn't established as yet..I took exam.8611 and scored only a 82.5 so I'm not too excited on that but you never know..

7 minutes ago, tprashad0719 said:

Nope  I was called in for signal maintainer, but unfortunately during training I didnt pass 1 of the practical to move on ,

I took it in April 2017 and was called in October 2017,list still isn't established as yet..I took exam.8611 and scored only a 82.5 so I'm not too excited on that but you never know..

That blows ..so you were pretty much already there on a Provisional Signal Maintainer position and got disqualified during Signal Maintainer school? 

Edited by MaxFever

I was hired as a temporary worker for signal maintainer due to me passing the practical exam,yea it's not easy in signal school but from talking to a lot of people 

.its better to start off as a helper then promote to maintainer..

Temp worker is when you pass an exam

Provisional is when you took no exams ,in order to be permanent you'll have to pass the written or practical 

On 8/30/2018 at 3:15 PM, tprashad0719 said:

Have anyone ever heard people who took the signal maintainer practical was getting called in for car inspector?

As a matter a fact yes I have, but the chance of getting called in for CI right now is slim to none. Last month they were still calling guys in that applied 1 to 2 years ago. Although they're calling in guys that actually applied for CI. 

I've also heard CI's being offered Signal Maintainer positions and Signal Maintainers being offered Ventilation & Drainage Maintainer positions. The practical exams for these three positions are very similar from what I heard so that's why they can offer you another opportunity. 

That's what I heard.. I haven't witnessed this myself yet but it makes sense since they're testing your electrical and mechanical knowledge. 

If you actually look at the requirements for CI, SM and V&D Maintainers then you will see they pretty much use the same lines. 

Edited by MaxFever

13 minutes ago, tprashad0719 said:

I was hired as a temporary worker for signal maintainer due to me passing the practical exam,yea it's not easy in signal school but from talking to a lot of people 

.its better to start off as a helper then promote to maintainer..

Temp worker is when you pass an exam

Provisional is when you took no exams ,in order to be permanent you'll have to pass the written or practical 

You have the status of “Provisional” once you get hired by TA. Even after passing the exam you will still have a provisional status for one year. After a year without any issues in your performance, then you will get your permanent status. 

To become a Signal Maintainer from being a Helper, you still have to PASS Signal Maintainer school. Promotion to be a Maintainer, or should I say, to be able to go to Maintainer School, is still based on your seniority. If you dont have that seniority to be on the list, you can always take a Signal Maintainer Exam whenever it becomes posted. Hope this will clarify everything. 

2 hours ago, MaxFever said:

Unfortunately now you just have to wait until they finalize the exam and that will probably take months knowing Transit.  

I remember it took them 11 months to give me my score from Train Operator Exam 7604. 

Damn I figured. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, tprashad0719 said:

That is correct ,lately they been calling people in before the list gets established for temporary positions until the list gets established 

Provision position is when you get hired thru resume and never took a test ,in order for not to be provisional you need to take the civil exam

So wouldn’t that make it a longer process to get in for people who took the test since they been calling people in for temporary positions ? What will happend to those temporary hires when list is established and they start bringing people from list in ?

20 minutes ago, Josh327 said:

So wouldn’t that make it a longer process to get in for people who took the test since they been calling people in for temporary positions ? What will happend to those temporary hires when list is established and they start bringing people from list in ?

Not necessarily.. if there's a staff shortages then the hiring process will move quick. That's why I keep asking if there's staff shortages but haven't got an answer yet lol. 

If the current provisional workers passed the multiple choice then they will become permanent. 

Basically the provisional guys lucked out if they passed the multiple choice. Congratulations to them. 

But if I'm not mistaken the provisional guys that took exam 8611 got offers thru a experience selection process (resume upload I guess) that took place last year or the year before so there seems to be some mixes and matches with this position. 

Edited by MaxFever

12 hours ago, MaxFever said:

coolno9 & jake3178 since you guys are already working as a TEH. Is there a big shortage on TEH's or not really? Just wondering if I have a chance of getting called in before the year ends. 

I got hired last November after the #7609 exam. Yes it was a resume/work experience hiring, but a seniority list was also established based on our work experience. That means each certificate, experience has an equivalent point. There was a big push on hiring because of the “Subway Action Plan”. Now on your question, I really dont know the answer on that one. What I can tell you though is, there is an ongoing promotion for helpers to go to Maintainer school. So, I would assume that those vacated helper positions has to be replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone attend the walk-in protest session or know if anything was changed?  Unfortunately I had already purchased plane tickets out of the country and I had to leave 2 days before the protest session date.  I got 97 but I am almost certain that there are a long list of 100s ahead of me because it was like a high school level difficulty exam.