Rear door device on RTS buses

StepInStandClear

42 minutes ago, StepInStandClear said:

Hello group. 

Just had a random question that I figured you guys could instantly answer for me. Always noticed that box that is situated in the ceiling near the rear door stairwell on the old RTS buses. What is that for ? Is that a sensor ? What is the purpose of it 

I think you're talking about the device to operate the wheelchair lift with the key to turn on top

3 minutes ago, StepInStandClear said:

Now that would make sense. Only thing is ....I have never heard a recording on those buses ever. Just on the new ones most recently 

If the B/O lets you on at the first stop while the bus is shut off, that announcement will go off as soon as the bus is started up, that's the only time I hear that announcement on RTS buses. Sometimes the B/O restarts the bus en route and that announcement also plays as well.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:46 PM, StepInStandClear said:

Now that would make sense. Only thing is ....I have never heard a recording on those buses ever. Just on the new ones most recently 

Below

On 8/22/2018 at 10:51 PM, trainfan22 said:

If the B/O lets you on at the first stop while the bus is shut off, that announcement will go off as soon as the bus is started up, that's the only time I hear that announcement on RTS buses. Sometimes the B/O restarts the bus en route and that announcement also plays as well.

Yeah, this.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:30 PM, azspeedbullet said:

i think that is the sensor that triggers the annoying please do not stand in the rear doorway area recording.

Negative.

This sensor is actually for the RTSs with the NOVA branded wheelchair lift, the sensors will not let the lift deploy if there is anything in the way and will indicate with a red light on the WC operation panel.

59 minutes ago, trife86 said:

Negative.

This sensor is actually for the RTSs with the NOVA branded wheelchair lift, the sensors will not let the lift deploy if there is anything in the way and will indicate with a red light on the WC operation panel.

Great info, thank you. Was the Nova lift only on certain orders? I'm thinking of the wonky lifts on 9350-9699 that got them retired earlier--were those from a different manufacturer?

8 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Great info, thank you. Was the Nova lift only on certain orders? I'm thinking of the wonky lifts on 9350-9699 that got them retired earlier--were those from a different manufacturer?

I'm not sure what the other lift was called or why there is even 2 models, it's above my pay grade 🤣

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 10:30 PM, azspeedbullet said:

i think that is the sensor that triggers the annoying please do not stand in the rear doorway area recording.

That doesn't play on any older in-service buses that don't have the new door system.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:51 PM, trainfan22 said:

Which still baffles me to this day. It's not on all the RTS' either, just a handful of them.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:18 PM, MHV9218 said:

Yes, all the buses that are retired from that range had Nova lifts. All the RTS buses in service now have the Lift-U which is the most popular and most reliable of all the lifts/ramps. At this time that is generally all we spec on local buses. HIstorically MTA has played with the lift configurations. The RTS was also offered with a Ricon lift. The manufacturer of the lifts on the MCI's, and Prevosts if I recall correctly. 

The RTS was also offered  

On 8/31/2018 at 8:18 PM, trife86 said:

Negative.

The Lift-U brand equipped units use it as well. These are a bit different than on the Nova's but the same thing essentially. I'm not a fan of the Nova lift at all, and mine is giving me problems on my RTS as we speak. 

5 hours ago, East New York said:

The Lift-U brand equipped units use it as well. These are a bit different than on the Nova's but the same thing essentially. I'm not a fan of the Nova lift at all, and mine is giving me problems on my RTS as we speak. 

Oh wow ok, didn't know the others had it. Whenever I go to zerega for refresher the video that they play specifically mentions it's for the Nova lift equipt RTS. God knows how old the video is but it looks at least after 2000+.

5 hours ago, trife86 said:

Oh wow ok, didn't know the others had it. Whenever I go to zerega for refresher the video that they play specifically mentions it's for the Nova lift equipt RTS. God knows how old the video is but it looks at least after 2000+.

Lol and smh. That's just ridiculous! We don't even have buses with the Nova lift anymore and they are really still showing those videos? 

Archived