Apply more than once for Resume-based position

CrazyD

On 8/23/2018 at 10:06 AM, CrazyD said:

Does it increase the likelihood of being contacted? I just found out u can apply for a position more than once after applying since 2017.

My apologies for being annoying, however can you please be more specific? This is probably for a resume-based position for either NYC Transit, Long Island Railroad, Metro-North, etc., however if you can provide us with more details, it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

No annoyance, yes it is a resume based position specifically for the metro north or MNR. Example ironworker or even the LIRR. All I know is I apply via the MTA employee website unsure how the B/O or T/O exams are held if they even apply online or in person. 

• +Young+ changed the title to Apply more than once for Resume-based position
18 hours ago, CrazyD said:

No annoyance, yes it is a resume based position specifically for the metro north or MNR. Example ironworker or even the LIRR. All I know is I apply via the MTA employee website unsure how the B/O or T/O exams are held if they even apply online or in person. 

Applying for any resume-based position more than once does nothing to boost your chances, but does everything to make the person scheduling interviews pass on you.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Applying for any resume-based position more than once does nothing to boost your chances, but does everything to make the person scheduling interviews pass on you.

Thank you for the quote. I have been everyday unfortunately since I found out you can. I will refrain from doing so until the deadline. I really desire a career with the MTA is all as well as many other people in the area lol. 

2 hours ago, CrazyD said:

Thank you for the quote. I have been everyday unfortunately since I found out you can. I will refrain from doing so until the deadline. I really desire a career with the MTA is all as well as many other people in the area lol. 

If you want a "trick" to get called, make sure the words in the job description appear in your resume.

Some folks will copy the experience into the footer and make it white text so it marks them as a 100% match; smart folks weave them into their description of duties in past jobs.

But, if you want "me" to look at your resume, make sure you say something that 1) shows you can do the job; 2) that shows you did the job or something close to it, and 3) something that shows you improved the job that might be able to improve my unit.

I just hired this guy for a sales job despite him never having sold anything before. How'd he get my attention? #2 stood out. He was a claims examiner, so since my industry is Property insurance, that put him ahead of everyone else because by nature of #2, his knowledge of auto insurance filled #3 - I was a life and health insurance agent, so I don't know how auto works beyond "car gets hit, here's a deductible to pay and drop the car off here."

If you can do that, you have a better shot of not just getting called, but also getting hired before the interviews are done.

@Via Garibaldi 8 leads his unit too, so he can help on this as well.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

If you want a "trick" to get called, make sure the words in the job description appear in your resume.

Some folks will copy the experience into the footer and make it white text so it marks them as a 100% match; smart folks weave them into their description of duties in past jobs.

But, if you want "me" to look at your resume, make sure you say something that 1) shows you can do the job; 2) that shows you did the job or something close to it, and 3) something that shows you improved the job that might be able to improve my unit.

I just hired this guy for a sales job despite him never having sold anything before. How'd he get my attention? #2 stood out. He was a claims examiner, so since my industry is Property insurance, that put him ahead of everyone else because by nature of #2, his knowledge of auto insurance filled #3 - I was a life and health insurance agent, so I don't know how auto works beyond "car gets hit, here's a deductible to pay and drop the car off here."

If you can do that, you have a better shot of not just getting called, but also getting hired before the interviews are done.

@Via Garibaldi 8 leads his unit too, so he can help on this as well.

I have some pet peeves that drive me nuts that I advise against doing for @CrazyD:

1. Do NOT continue to send your CV/résumé over and over. As Deucey said it doesn’t help. When people do that, I make a mental note and then proceed to block their e-mail address. We have other things to do besides reading the same e-mails over and over again.

2. If you are a match with what we are looking for, we will contact you. Some people seem to believe that when they send their CV, there is a job waiting for them and so they must keep calling or e-mailing. It doesn’t work that way. If there is a match, you’ll know.

3. There’s being passionate and being desperate. You want to come off as passionate and not the latter. 

4. There are professional CV writers out there. When I first started out and wanted to enhance my CV, I spoke with some people who had experience reviewing CVs and they helped me enhance it. You should definitely take the time to tailor your CV to any job you apply for and approach each place you apply to as the one meaning if you are interested then you need to write a compelling cover letter showcasing your skills and why you would be a good fit and better the people around you.  

There’s a lot more to this, but those are some of the basics to remember. One last thing... Whatever you do, if you are told certain things and people seem to be stressing them, make a note of them and take notes if need be. We have a new receptionist and the guy has no office experience and just doesn’t get it. You need to be able to draw conclusions and act accordingly. If you don’t you will be out of a job and quick.

My advice in the meantime is to try to offer yourself as an intern willing to work for free to get some experience. When I was considering switching careers, I did just that and landed a few spots that way. If they like you when a spot opens up they may offer you something or hire you as a consultant. There are many ways to get into some places. You have to be creative and think outside the box.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

2. If you are a match with what we are looking for, we will contact you. Some people seem to believe that when they send their CV, there is a job waiting for them and so they must keep calling or e-mailing. It doesn’t work that way. If there is a match, you’ll know.

There's been plenty of positions I was qualified for and never heard back. Now doing not just the hiring, but the recruiting, I can honestly say @CrazyD that sometimes you're good but not good enough; you're interesting but it's not the right time for interesting (ie in sales right now we need a builder of systems or practices vs a closer of deals); you could have worked for a rival the place isn't ready to "piss off"; we know the place you worked and their ways aren't compatible with ours; or my favorite, we can't see what you're bringing as beneficial. (Example: a lot of the CVs I got were from folks who worked retail. Retail, unless it's commission, isn't sales, and retail doesn't translate to email and phone sales. So they might've been top associate, but it doesn't mean s/he can prospect.)

All that is to say that make sure what you apply to lines up with what you've done, because if you want to be an ironworker but you've never been trained and all you've done is ring people up at the Gap, you're probably not ever getting called.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

There's been plenty of positions I was qualified for and never heard back. Now doing not just the hiring, but the recruiting, I can honestly say @CrazyD that sometimes you're good but not good enough; you're interesting but it's not the right time for interesting (ie in sales right now we need a builder of systems or practices vs a closer of deals); you could have worked for a rival the place isn't ready to "piss off"; we know the place you worked and their ways aren't compatible with ours; or my favorite, we can't see what you're bringing as beneficial. (Example: a lot of the CVs I got were from folks who worked retail. Retail, unless it's commission, isn't sales, and retail doesn't translate to email and phone sales. So they might've been top associate, but it doesn't mean s/he can prospect.)

All that is to say that make sure what you apply to lines up with what you've done, because if you want to be an ironworker but you've never been trained and all you've done is ring people up at the Gap, you're probably not ever getting called.

Unfortunately a lot of young folks today sadly are not ready for the real world. They are not getting any coaching or being told how to look for jobs and the things you should do. I've had people call me and essentially think that we were somehow obligated to give them something. Well are you hiring in such and such area? I called last week and I didn't get a response. <_<

No one is obligated to give you one!! If I spent all day "following up" on CVs I'd be standing on the unemployment line with them. lol The first thing I do as I'm checking e-mails in the morning is see what CVs some in. No more than 5 minutes to "impress" me before I move on to my workload for the day. I will briefly skim them and see whether they are even worth putting into my CV folder when I may have something and can't fill it.

In the field I work in, language skills are paramount, so any typos will be noted and I will get rid of those for sure. If you can't write properly and communicate effectively that's a deal breaker given the field I am in. It is a must, and that's why people need to learn how to review their CVs before sending them out, as it is their first impression.

I have worked in skilled trades at manufacturing plants in the metro detroit area for the past few years. I've worked at ford motor company inside one of their manufacturing plants as well. I am also trained and took college courses as well in the skilled trades. Maybe I need to use a cover letter because I haven't written one at all yet. The job I spammed luckily was only for the skilled trades fair nothing else (thank god) . I do not desire a professional role as of yet, I need to go back to school for a bachelor's degree and life said hello. I am now married and have an ill wife to support so now I am the only provider as of now. I guess you could say a little desperate, but also passionate as well and I wish to show that to everybody at the MTA i'm passionate about my career choice and future career to be an engineer. I love creating, fixing, and building. To be a part of something as large as the MTA or my previous role at ford motor company is a dream for me, it makes me feel like I make a great impact in the world. Thanks guys for the informative replies. I will take and use your advice accordingly, thank you both again. 

UPDATE: Well, I withdrew all but one for that career fair application wise. I also wrote my first cover letter which is a first for me as I only needed a resume for my previous roles including ford. My intention was not to anger or annoy anyone and now that it's cleared up, something still bothers me and why is that they give you the option to apply more than once? To ween out the desperado's? I didn't even realize you could keep applying until another thread stated so. If I see an opening of the same job listed later on would I be safe for that one? Different job ID as well. 

Archived