Hi

Trainguy4164

This is my first post! Anyways, I had this idea of making the (S) one long line. It starts at Times Square as normal, but then goes on new tracks underneath the (7), Making Vernon Blvd at transfer station. After that make it go under the river and meet up with the (G) at Greenpoint, and make it go express, stopping at Metropolitan, and Bedford-Nostrand. Then, it's  just the shuttle Extension, Stopping at Gates, and going to Franklin Av. After Prospect Park, it goes express on Brighton, and at sheepshead, it goes on to new lower tracks, then goes underground, making a stop at Kingsboro College (Where the (D) could also go after Coney Island), Then going under the bay. You know what's gonna happen next, it's gonna go through the rockaways and go to Broad Channel.

1 hour ago, Trainguy4164 said:

This is my first post! Anyways, I had this idea of making the (S) one long line. It starts at Times Square as normal, but then goes on new tracks underneath the (7), Making Vernon Blvd at transfer station. After that make it go under the river and meet up with the (G) at Greenpoint, and make it go express, stopping at Metropolitan, and Bedford-Nostrand. Then, it's  just the shuttle Extension, Stopping at Gates, and going to Franklin Av. After Prospect Park, it goes express on Brighton, and at sheepshead, it goes on to new lower tracks, then goes underground, making a stop at Kingsboro College (Where the (D) could also go after Coney Island), Then going under the bay. You know what's gonna happen next, it's gonna go through the rockaways and go to Broad Channel.

Connecting all the shuttles would make it too long, and it wont be considered a shuttle anymore (think (8) train in the Bronx in 1967, the MTA couldn't make it a shuttle for this reason). Not to mention, the A division track on the Times. Sq. (S) won't work with with the other B division lines. Interesting, but I dont see the point for this... Arbitrary lines connected since they all run the same label is still a massive arbitrary line in the end.

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Connecting all the shuttles would make it too long, and it wont be considered a shuttle anymore (think (8) train in the Bronx in 1967, the MTA couldn't make it a shuttle for this reason). Not to mention, the A division track on the Times. Sq. (S) won't work with with the other B division lines. Interesting, but I dont see the point for this... Arbitrary lines connected since they all run the same label is still a massive arbitrary line in the end.

Good Point. There are two ways to get around this. 1: Make a station between Grand Central and Bedford Nostrand Avs a hub station where the A Division tracks end and B division starts, or 2: Rebuild the entire section between Grand central and Times Square to make it B-Division tracked. It will not be known as the shuttle, but as "The (S) Train". The line will most likely use R68s and R46s.

Hello, welcome to the forum!

I don't mean to sound rude, but your idea comes off as a bit of a mess. Given the locations of all the shuttles in the city (42nd Street, Franklin, Rockaways), it really doesn't make any sense to connect them all. The money all that would cost could be better used on other projects. The 42nd Street Shuttle is due for an upgrade over the next few years, the (G) and (7)  will see a boost in service next year when the Canarsie tunnel shutdown happens, service on the Brighton line is fairly frequent already, and ridership in the Rockaways doesn't warrant additional service at this time. 

I used to look at a map and think where every train SHOULD go. As time goes on and the more knowledge I develop about politics and the MTA, I quickly realized, we can’t even get a 3 station extension done in time. 

Its good to imagine though, we do have a thread designed for that

Archived