85 60-Foot Clean Diesel Articulated Buses

Cait Sith

I think it's time to start a thread on this order.

Next month begins the RFP process to purchase 85 60-Foot Clean Diesel Articulated Buses to replace most, if not all of the Neoplans.

It's safe to say that New Flyer is a shoe-in for this order, since they do not want a bus longer than 60 feet, that automatically rules Nova Bus out, as their articulated buses are 62 feet in length(61 feet technically), but never say never.

1b85faf89a562828e0733ae0cdb0e8ef.png

10 hours ago, busdude2 said:

I wonder why still only 85 artics you would think they could use at least 100 or more instead of keeping the same amount.

Agreed; honestly there are a few routes out of Newark (the 1 and 25 being the ones I think most about) that could really use artics; most of the Journal Square trips on the 1 are slammed during rush, and the 25 is no better.

7 hours ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Agreed; honestly there are a few routes out of Newark (the 1 and 25 being the ones I think most about) that could really use artics; most of the Journal Square trips on the 1 are slammed during rush, and the 25 is no better.

IDK about the 1. The terminals at Ivy Hill and 20th don't work well with artics so IDK how that's going to work but artics on the 25 is a must have. I think the whole 25 route should be a articulated route like the 13 and the 39

8 hours ago, engineerboy6561 said:

I agree  both routes could use them too.

4 hours ago, A Former New Yorker said:

IDK about the 1. The terminals at Ivy Hill and 20th don't work well with artics so IDK how that's going to work but artics on the 25 is a must have. I think the whole 25 route should be a articulated route like the 13 and the 39

Mostly during rush the runs on the 1 to Journal Square need it badly even if those runs wind up being pullouts and pull-ins. Looking on street view the issue seems to be layover space more than anything else, and there's definitely space to lay over at least one or two artics at 20 St. If that winds up not being enough you could always just take away on-street parking on S 21 St between 16th and 17th Avs and turn artics in a loop around the block bounded by 16 Av, S 20 St, 17 Av, and S 21 St. Fixing the Ivy Hill loop requires removal of one tree and maybe one parking space; just connect the loop to Manor Dr next to the street, and get rid of on-street parking on Mt Vernon Pl between Tuxedo Pkwy and Manor Dr entirely, and you could lay over 3-4 artics there comfortably.

Here's a problem, Ferry Street. As soon as the buses leave Penn Station heading east (Chapel St, Jersey City for the 1 & County Jail or the NBC for the 25), that street is very tight to maneuver since the city redid the road and sidewalks a few years ago.

To clarify: I'm not saying that it's impossible, it could be challenging for some

On 8/26/2018 at 4:13 PM, go25 said:

Here's a problem, Ferry Street. As soon as the buses leave Penn Station heading east (Chapel St, Jersey City for the 1 & County Jail or the NBC for the 25), that street is very tight to maneuver since the city redid the road and sidewalks a few years ago.

To clarify: I'm not saying that it's impossible, it could be challenging for some

Routes out of fairview has some very tight areas as well....Believe me i know...I think the 1 can get away with a few running on the line even on chapel and ferry....Takes real skills

32 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Routes out of fairview has some very tight areas as well....Believe me i know...I think the 1 can get away with a few running on the line even on chapel and ferry....Takes real skills

Oh trust me I know that it takes skill to drive an artic bus on very narrow roads: Ferry St (Five Corners to Penn Station), Fleming Ave (Downtown-Ivy Hill bound) and West Side Ave (Journal Square trips) come to mind

10 hours ago, go25 said:

Oh trust me I know that it takes skill to drive an artic bus on very narrow roads: Ferry St (Five Corners to Penn Station), Fleming Ave (Downtown-Ivy Hill bound) and West Side Ave (Journal Square trips) come to mind

The 60FT can fit on ferry just fine the 1 definitely can use them. The 18th Av loop can be modified to accommodate 60FT. The 25 has always been a no brainer, Don’t understand why at least no rush hour trips are 60FT the 39 can use 40FT.

On 8/26/2018 at 4:13 PM, go25 said:

40 ft and 60ft has the same turning radius 

On 8/27/2018 at 1:54 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

What about either the 156 or 159? 

The garage that does both routes already runs artics on those routes. 

On 8/25/2018 at 9:57 PM, engineerboy6561 said:

Don't forget the 21. That route can get very heavy. There are quite a few routes in the Greater Newark area (including Elizabeth & Jersey City as well) that wouldn't hurt to receive some artics. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 10:13 PM, go25 said:

Is tight to maneuver an issue for the newer driver generation? 

Driving in tight space should be relatively easy with experience. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 1:28 AM, RTSTdrive said:

Actually 60 footers have the same turn radius of a 30 footer. It's literally just 30ft bodies attached back to back

They do not have the same turning radius as a 30ft bus. @theaveragejoe is correct with what he said.

Nova Bus LFS artics have the same exact turning radius as the 40fters.

In the case of the Xcelsiors, the 35fter has a 39ft turning radius, whereas the 40ft and 60ft units share the same turning radius at 44ft.

• 2 months later...

It's laughable that NJ Transit can only muster 85 Artics knowing full well they should have at least 150 if not a little more giving the heavy ridership on some local and NYC routes. Most of us know which bus needs them badly and which routes need to be turned into a 100 % into an artic route. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, busdude2 said:

Any news if this contract has been awarded yet ? It has been 3 months.

Should have been awarded already since late lastyear. My assumption is NJT is giving the world to VanHool of getting their revamped artic product to NJ Transit's liking, otherwise just award the contract to New Flyer of their Xcelsior. I want be surprise if NJ Transit is thinking about a custom job of the Xcelsior which NJT is know for...custom made buses

Surprised no update from NJT on this.  I would hope they would go with NF and not mess with anything else . NJT has a terrible history with orders like Millenium RTS's and Designline Coaches, Eagle Coaches and Orion 6's. 

23 hours ago, busdude2 said:

Surprised no update from NJT on this.  I would hope they would go with NF and not mess with anything else . NJT has a terrible history with orders like Millenium RTS's and Designline Coaches, Eagle Coaches and Orion 6's. 

It's kinda sad. It's what they are known for. Late to the party of technology, equipment selections amongst other things. Just don't know what the Board of Trustees are doing nowadays

Archived