Subway tunnel levels - G Line

Jalo

Hello everyone,

I am studying architecture & urban planning and for a university project I am trying to find out the depth of the G Line tunnel between Nassau Ave. and Metropolitan Ave. - specifically the stretch under McCarren Park. I spent ages on Google but wasnt  able to find anything so I thought this could be the right place to ask - hopefully someone of you can help me out. Thank you in advance!

(Is there a source where to find the levels of alls subway tunnels? That would be awesome!)

My 2 cents on this:

From my understanding, Nassau Ave. station was opened as the ultimate station for the shuttle service from and to Queens Plaza in 1933, whereas Metropolitan Ave. followed 1937 when the IND Crosstown line GG took service.

Nassau Ave. station has a mezzanine,  so the tracks are probably at least some 30 ft. below street level. At Metropolitan Ave. the G actually crosses underneath the L with an intermediate Mezzanine in between, so there the tracks should be - I assume - located at least twice as deep. However, the straight stretch under Union Ave. is probably long enough for a ramp, so my conclusion would be that the tracks under McCarren Park are at least 30 ft. deep, but maybe they are also built way deeper for some reason? Or less deep to save cost? Would be great to know whether I'm anywhere near the ballpark with my estimations.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

5 hours ago, Jalo said:

Hello everyone,

I am studying architecture & urban planning and for a university project I am trying to find out the depth of the G Line tunnel between Nassau Ave. and Metropolitan Ave. - specifically the stretch under McCarren Park. I spent ages on Google but wasnt  able to find anything so I thought this could be the right place to ask - hopefully someone of you can help me out. Thank you in advance!

(Is there a source where to find the levels of alls subway tunnels? That would be awesome!)

My 2 cents on this:

From my understanding, Nassau Ave. station was opened as the ultimate station for the shuttle service from and to Queens Plaza in 1933, whereas Metropolitan Ave. followed 1937 when the IND Crosstown line GG took service.

Nassau Ave. station has a mezzanine,  so the tracks are probably at least some 30 ft. below street level. At Metropolitan Ave. the G actually crosses underneath the L with an intermediate Mezzanine in between, so there the tracks should be - I assume - located at least twice as deep. However, the straight stretch under Union Ave. is probably long enough for a ramp, so my conclusion would be that the tracks under McCarren Park are at least 30 ft. deep, but maybe they are also built way deeper for some reason? Or less deep to save cost? Would be great to know whether I'm anywhere near the ballpark with my estimations.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Most of the IND is cut and cover, so there is very little reason to believe that they would build anything deeper than necessary. Then again, I’m hoping someone will surprise me.

18 hours ago, CenSin said:

Most of the IND is cut and cover, so there is very little reason to believe that they would build anything deeper than necessary. Then again, I’m hoping someone will surprise me.

Thanks very much! What does "not anything deeper than necessary" mean in your opinion?

I know in some areas (I think A + C under Central Park West if I remember correctly) tunnels are built literally just under street level and the stations' access stairs lead directly to the platforms. However, here we have mezzanines at the stations. Would they rise the tracks after leaving a station to "just below street level" and then descend to "under mezzanine level" before entering the next? Like a constant up and down? Or would they locate the tunnel at least at the same, lower level all over the line? And what depth do you think that would be in numbers?

Sorry, but I'm really a rookie when it comes to subways...

Thanks to everyone for any helpful comment :)

Archived