Marcus molinaro transit platform

BreeddekalbL

Yes please fix why does it cost 2 billion per mile 

What does he mean on collective bargaining reform better not mean screwing them out of what they rightfully earned?

Prevailing wage should be equal to federal level

And he is interested in expanding the subway to outer sections and to si? 

On 8/27/2018 at 11:30 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Yes please fix why does it cost 2 billion per mile 

What does he mean on collective bargaining reform better not mean screwing them out of what they rightfully earned?

Prevailing wage should be equal to federal level

And he is interested in expanding the subway to outer sections and to si? 

He says this re expansion:

Future Goals and Considerations

Once we address the current crisis, there is additional work that still must be done to make the MTA into a truly world-class transit system. This will include modernization and expansion of the system. Several ideas are worthy of consideration once we get to that point:

Triborough Extension

The RPA has proposed to use existing rail rights-of-way to connect Bay Ridge in Brooklyn with Co-op City in the Bronx, which would provide a transit option for residents in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx who currently lack an option that does not involve travel through Manhattan.  Due to the existing right-of-way already being owned, this project could becompleted at a lower cost than would be required if a tunnel must be bored. As a result, this is an expansion option that must be strongly considered when the resources are available.

NJ/NY Regional Rail

Another proposal that should be strongly considered is to negotiate with New Jersey to find a way to link NJ Transit commuter rail service with Long Island Railroad and Metro-North Service.  By providing true regional commuter rail, we can run far more trains per hour, which would better serve the residents of the New York City suburbs. This is a potential expansion project that can be undertaken at the same time that repairs are made to the rest of the system.

Transit Link from Staten Island to Manhattan

Since the time of Robert Moses, the idea of a transit link from Manhattan to Staten Island has been considered; but, unfortunately, no project has yet been undertaken. During the last significant push for a project to achieve these goals, it was determined that it would cost approximately $3 billion to establish such a link.

Focus on Subway Deserts and Underserved Areas

One of the most important things we can do as we look to improve the system is to expand into “subway deserts” and underserved areas in the City. Together with our partners in the communities, we need to look at what areas currently lack subway service, and determine the feasibility of expansion to provide opportunities to the people living there.

I’m glad they finally fixed the link. The first few days I tried to access it, it kept saying the connection was lost. Connection problems aside, I have to admit I’m surprised to see the Republican candidate (the current Dutchess County Executive), dedicate that much space to fixing the (MTA), even bringing up some long-proposed expansion ideas. There certainly are some good suggestions in there. Hopefully they don’t turn into vaporware if he were to become governor.

11 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I’m glad they finally fixed the link. The first few days I tried to access it, it kept saying the connection was lost. Connection problems aside, I have to admit I’m surprised to see the Republican candidate (the current Dutchess County Executive), dedicate that much space to fixing the (MTA), even bringing up some long-proposed expansion ideas. There certainly are some good suggestions in there. Hopefully they don’t turn into vaporware if he were to become governor.

It's great to see a politician bringing up Triboro for once, and even with all the bureaucracy and crap we deal with, it would be the easiest of any expansions due to the ROW already being in place. The Staten Island plan would be interesting (my guess is that he would connect SAS Phase 4 to the SIR and accelerate SAS), and I'm sure he'd prioritize that so as to expand the amount of space for denser housing, and also because it could help him win over SI, a Republican stronghold. 

Overall his plan seems rather promising, but I wonder how much union resistance he will face solely based on his party affiliation if elected... however the GOP could have an advantage this year with a divided Democratic vote (as we have seen in 2016 and even in 1968), but I would expect Cuomo or Nixon to win before he does.

21 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

It's great to see a politician bringing up Triboro for once, and even with all the bureaucracy and crap we deal with, it would be the easiest of any expansions due to the ROW already being in place. The Staten Island plan would be interesting (my guess is that he would connect SAS Phase 4 to the SIR and accelerate SAS), and I'm sure he'd prioritize that so as to expand the amount of space for denser housing, and also because it could help him win over SI, a Republican stronghold. 

Overall his plan seems rather promising, but I wonder how much union resistance he will face solely based on his party affiliation if elected... however the GOP could have an advantage this year with a divided Democratic vote (as we have seen in 2016 and even in 1968), but I would expect Cuomo or Nixon to win before he does.

Molinaro is more pro-transit than most GOP politicians. The Dutchess LOOP (the bus system in Dutchess County) has expanded a lot under his term, so I wouldn't be entirely skeptical. His outline also helps his constituents. 

Subway to SI would also favor his party's voters as well.

Don't bet on the democratic vote to be divided. I have yet to see one Cynthia Nixon ad on TV. All I hear are the Cuomo ads and half-truths. I can't vote in the primary to begin with, but I would like to see Cuomo lose. The chance of that happening though, is low.

I feel that Molinaro is much needed as our governor and fforth the exact reason of what he is promising (and that he's republican).  I also think that since he's running against Cuomo and Nixon that he'd "hit Cuomo where it hurts" or in basic terms, target his weaknesses which many of us should know by now. 

Now here are my thoughts on the proposals. 

-Triboro would be nice to see but the RX but I'm kinda confused on how they'll run freight service since I highly doubt I'd ever see a mixed traffic train along the ROW (passenger and freight combined into one train). 

- NY/NJ regional rail is out of the question and should've happened a long time ago 

- SI transit connection I see 3 opportunities. 

1) SAS Phase 4

2) Reactivation of the North Shore branch

3) Connecting HBLR to North Shore and onto St. George.

-Underserved areas. Let's see, there's Utica. Jewel Avenue. Co-Op City. Southeast Queens. And a few conenctions here and there in my opinion.  

Happy to see someone give "Emperor" Cuomo a run for his money. Especially in this strategic region where both Nixon and the emperor have proven little so far. That SI proposal obviously is targeted towards his parties voters, and that likely wont come until the system is not in a decline. Though I still cant wait to see what comes next, seems like a promising figure that, at least, wont spend millions of dollars doing asinine things like put USB ports and state colors all over the place.  

Don't mean to sound too down here, but what he's done isn't some rocket science -- he basically just lifted stuff from various RPA docs and made it into his own proposal. While I congratulate him on taking the time to think big at all, I wouldn't be so fast to say this is indicative of a serious amount of thought having been put towards these issues -- it honestly just feels a cobbled together political instrument to take a jab at the Prince's lack of communication on the subject. 

Nevertheless, for a Republican in NYS, I am mildly impressed. 

8 hours ago, RR503 said:

Don't mean to sound too down here, but what he's done isn't some rocket science -- he basically just lifted stuff from various RPA docs and made it into his own proposal. While I congratulate him on taking the time to think big at all, I wouldn't be so fast to say this is indicative of a serious amount of thought having been put towards these issues -- it honestly just feels a cobbled together political instrument to take a jab at the Prince's lack of communication on the subject. 

Nevertheless, for a Republican in NYS, I am mildly impressed. 

Well if he provides a formidable campaign I'm inclined to vote for him. Cuomo got my vote last time and I have not been pleased with how his tatics. He's too focused on cosmetic projects rather than real infrastructure improvements. 

8 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Majority Republican but not as Republican as it was when I lived there. More and more Brooklynites moving there that are Democrats. I generally find Republicans more willing to make improvements on the express bus side too. When we had Vito Fossella in office he was great on that end. Kept us abreast of the HOV improvements regularly via e-mail, was accessible, etc. I voted from Grimm who was horrible though, so it can be a mixed bag. Democrats have been horrible on transportation though.

14 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

Transit Link from Staten Island to Manhattan

Since the time of Robert Moses, the idea of a transit link from Manhattan to Staten Island has been considered; but, unfortunately, no project has yet been undertaken. During the last significant push for a project to achieve these goals, it was determined that it would cost approximately $3 billion to establish such a link.

Staten Island voted against subway access to Manhattan in the 1950s. 

14 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

Focus on Subway Deserts and Underserved Areas

One of the most important things we can do as we look to improve the system is to expand into “subway deserts” and underserved areas in the City. Together with our partners in the communities, we need to look at what areas currently lack subway service, and determine the feasibility of expansion to provide opportunities to the people living there.

That discussion should begin with outreach to everyone whose properties would have to be seized by eminent domain to build the proposed lines.

1 minute ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I'm sure that has changed- remember back in the 50s people were fleeing the city (by that I mean the 4 denser boroughs). People are sick of express buses and the ferry.

1 minute ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I'm sure that has changed- remember back in the 50s people were fleeing the city (by that I mean the 4 denser boroughs). People are sick of express buses and the ferry.

The express buses are fine. What is needed is a fast ferry. If I still lived there I would not support a subway being built there and I elaborated below to Gotham.

5 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

It's a different place now than back in 1950. That said there has been FAR too much development and the infrastructure out there can't handle it. When relatives first moved there back in the 1990s it was great. People were friendly, there was less traffic. Just better quality of life. We liked visiting when we went for family gatherings. My relatives were all from South Brooklyn and had made the move for more space and a more suburban life. The idea was if we wanted a subway we could all stay in Brooklyn. Not every part of NYC has to be urban nor should it be. If Staten Islanders want a subway (which I don't think the majority want), they had better be prepared to give up a lot more in terms of infrastructure and other things. Crowding will only worsen as will congestion either way, as developers swoop in and build on every damn plot of land they can get, and built tacky crap at that. Damn townhouses everywhere, replacing BEAUTIFUL historic homes from the 1900s. That was something else I got sick of out there. Too many people from Brooklyn ruined the place. Rude entitled a-holes....

Archived